PDA

View Full Version : I'm procrastinating

Azure Skye
01-20-2007, 02:06 AM
Someone give me a good ol' verbal bitch slap! I've had a long enough break from my MS and now I know I need to get back into it but it's not happening. What do you do to get over that procrastination?

jennifer75
01-20-2007, 02:09 AM
Have a glass of wine. And then just start. I've heard that the "cover your screen and type" things works...try that.

alleycat
01-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Do one small but worthwhile thing to get started (which can be just about anything other than avoiding the work) . . . overcoming that initial inertia is half the battle.

MidnightMuse
01-20-2007, 02:24 AM
Someone give me a good ol' verbal bitch slap!

:e2fight:

Sure, it's visual, but you get the idea.

Now MARCH!

Meerkat
01-20-2007, 02:30 AM
Write a single word. Any word. Pick it by pointing blindly at the overdue bill letter laying on the floor if you must, but get a word into your first new sentence. Then make that sentence flow, baby! Treat it like a "next word is?" game.

And put that wine back down--she said a glass!

Shadow_Ferret
01-20-2007, 02:35 AM
I'm procrastinating

Don't look at me for advice. I'm down to the final few pages of editing my hard copy manuscript and I'm finding any excuse not to finish.

MidnightMuse
01-20-2007, 02:36 AM
Don't look at me for advice. I'm down to the final few pages of editing my hard copy manuscript and I'm finding any excuse not to finish.

Well if you'd get your head out of that beer glass, that'd be a good start :D

The Lady
01-20-2007, 02:42 AM
Imagine a friend of yours calling you on the phone and saying, "Guess what, I've sold my book. I'm getting published" Imagine how that would motivate you to get moving on your own one. Now don't wait for that call. Be the one to make it. Get down to that office/ study/whatever you got and write.

This may not work if you're already extensively published. OK imagine then she's just sole the film rights.

Now get competitive.

Life is not a journey. It's a race. Ok it's really a journey but you still want to finish well.

PeeDee
01-20-2007, 03:27 AM
Usually what gets me going is "Golly, someone was waiting for this story to be done.....two days ago! Write! Now!"

Barring that, it depends on the project.

Azure Skye
01-20-2007, 05:36 AM
Imagine a friend of yours calling you on the phone and saying, "Guess what, I've sold my book. I'm getting published" Imagine how that would motivate you to get moving on your own one. Now don't wait for that call. Be the one to make it. Get down to that office/ study/whatever you got and write.

This may not work if you're already extensively published. OK imagine then she's just sole the film rights.

Now get competitive.

Life is not a journey. It's a race. Ok it's really a journey but you still want to finish well.

Wow. Your post just had a profound affect on me. I'm not very competitive but I think maybe I need to become so.

At least I figured out why I'm procrastinating and I'm working on that right now. I'm trying to make the implausible, plausible. That's kinna, sorta hard. :e2thud:

PeeDee
01-20-2007, 05:47 AM
If all else fails, brag loudly or get yourself stuck to an impossible goal for your writing very publically. That'll get you going faster than anything. :)

Carrie in PA
01-20-2007, 05:50 AM
If all else fails, brag loudly or get yourself stuck to an impossible goal for your writing very publically. That'll get you going faster than anything. :)

:roll:

Azure Skye
01-20-2007, 05:59 AM

Do I need to turn siggies back on to understand that? What did you get yourself into Pete?

PeeDee
01-20-2007, 06:01 AM
Well, there was mine and Spooky's Novel Deathmatch.......

There was the third Variety Hour, when we had a 24-hour deadline...

.....There's the isixty thousand words of robot stories that I need to get done by mid-February.

I'm not sure if I'm encouraging you anymore. This may have turned into a warning. Be ambiuous!

Freckles
01-20-2007, 06:02 AM
I find taking a break usually clears my head. But would that be considered more procrastination? ;)

Azure Skye
01-20-2007, 06:05 AM

.....There's the isixty thousand words of robot stories that I need to get done by mid-February.

I'm not sure if I'm encouraging you anymore. This may have turned into a warning. Be ambiuous!

No, you're scaring me. Someone hold me, I'm frightened.

;)

Sean D. Schaffer
01-20-2007, 06:12 AM
Someone give me a good ol' verbal bitch slap! I've had a long enough break from my MS and now I know I need to get back into it but it's not happening. What do you do to get over that procrastination?

I usually try to find something I actually want to write. That seems to help me out quite a bundle.

PeeDee
01-20-2007, 06:13 AM
No, you're scaring me. Someone hold me, I'm frightened.

;)

That's good for you, what about ME???

Sean D. Schaffer
01-20-2007, 06:18 AM

I never would have believed it if I had not seen it. PeeDee, of all people, making not one, but TWO spelling errors in the same post. :D

isixty? ambiuous? Hmmm... :rolleyes:

PeeDee
01-20-2007, 06:21 AM
I'm at work, in the little bookstore.

Do you have any idea how *COLD* it is in here!?

AND I just drank an Orange Julius.

I'm practically typing in suspended animation...!

farfromfearless
01-20-2007, 07:31 AM

I bet you have to pee... a lot.

Now, imagine you to have to hold it while some myopic customer asks you read an excerpt of the Iliad just to see if it might be something they'd be interested in. Is it burning yet?

Sean D. Schaffer
01-20-2007, 07:37 AM

Interesting! Sounds like loads of fun...

PeeDee
01-20-2007, 07:38 AM
I bet you have to pee... a lot.

Now, imagine you to have to hold it while some myopic customer asks you read an excerpt of the Iliad just to see if it might be something they'd be interested in. Is it burning yet?

You lot only laugh because it hasn't happened to you.

True story:

An old woman comes up to the counter holding a book.

I say, "Hello," brightly and kindly, because that's what I do.

She blinks at me through glasses that were previously used as lenses in a telescope.

"I don't know this author," she says, "Have you read her?"

"Nope, sorry," I say. I look at the book and see that it's one of those dreadful romance novels, the ones wtih titles like Her Thundering Passion, or some such.

She hesitates and then says, "I can' decide if I'd like it. Will you read a bit out loud? PLease?"

What do you do in the face of a sweet old lady who's obviously embarassed to ask you, but really wants you to?

Well. You pick up this crummy paperback novel. You shudder at the large-chested MAN on the cover. You open it. And you read,

A low growl coursed through his brawny chest, and she trembled beneath his manly touch, his burning passion, the strength of his love.

"Oh!" she exclaimed breathlessly, "Let's be of one mind! let's declare our love!"

"Alas, my maiden fair!" he intoned in deep and sexy tones, "But we have only to reach the Arch-Bishop without my brother, the Dread Pirate Kyle stopping us, for he would have you to himself!"

"Oh!" she wept, "I am frightened.

And then, I sell her the book, I wait till she leaves, and throw up profusely.

Kudra
01-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Azura, unplug the Internet, sit down at your desk and know that you're not allowed to get up for one hour. Either you write or you stare at the blank screen. No other options.

Oh, and lock yourself in your room so that no one can disturb you.

finch
01-20-2007, 10:49 AM
KitKat's got it right imo. Unplug, sit in a comfy corner with your writing tools and don't give yourself any options other than to deal with your writing =somehow.= For me, some days are better for research and other days are better for writing, and usually if I'm having trouble with the one it's because I need more of the other, but either way simply take away your easy excuses and JDI.

Mud Dauber
01-21-2007, 08:28 AM
:e2fight:

Sure, it's visual, but you get the idea.

Now MARCH!

Thanks, Midnight! You have no idea how much I needed that, too.:D

Azura, I don't know what stage you're at in your procrastination, but here's what I suggest: Print off a couple of chapters (maybe your last two or three) to reacquaint (sp?) yourself with your story, then GO. Leave. Get out of the house. Only bring your printed chapters, something to write with, and a notebook. I just did this tonight after a month of neglecting my WIP, and it did wonders for me--simply changing my surroundings. I shocked myself at how quickly I was able to focus in on my story at the Barnes and Noble cafe instead of in the comforts of my own home. This, despite the fact that in the two hour time period I worked, THREE different people decided to chat loudly on their cell phones. Honestly, why do people do that when they're sitting within spitting distance of you and they know you can hear every word they're saying?:Shrug: Whatever. I tuned them out as best I could and I'm proud to report I've fallen in love with my characters all over again. How I missed them.

Oh, and PeeDee, that's just... weird. God bless you for putting up with people's strange requests.

~Mud~