Formatting e-mails in text

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I can't help with this. I would recommend you see what has been done in published books, or ask in the fiction thread.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score

Anonymous Traveler

His servent for life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
prairiewords.wordpress.com
aadams73 said:
Right here is how she did it. I hope this helps. :)

Perhaps it is my browser but the e-mail looks like one of those ransom notes where each word is cut from a newspaper. The other thing is that the text is full justified, something I have never seen in any of my e-mails.

So I will try this- My only problem is how to break the end of the message. I hope the extra lines makes it clear. (And don't get mis-interpreted at format error)
-----
A new message was in his in-box. Automatically he scanned it before deleting. He was now half smiling and half crying.

Sent: January 12, 2007 6:17 PM
To: Sidney
Subject: DM website

I saw your posting on the school website.
I didn’t think you still remembered me.
It was very beautiful. I remember that picture you took in the park.
Please write me back.

Love, Kathy

Sidney stared at the message. He was inches away from death and the woman he had agonized over for so long had reappeared.

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
See, I would be tempted to add a few asterisks to indicate the end of the e-mail, but that's just me. Otherwise it looks fine, and it does make sense without the asterisks-- that's just a quirk of mine.

By the way, you've got me hooked-- I'd love to read this! (Let me know if you need any beta readers when the time comes!)

(Of course, my husband and I met online, so the e-mail aspect hits home.) :)

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
AT,
after reading that excerpt, I would suggest putting the email in a different font altogether. Obviously this is just to make it easy for an editor or agent to read; when it's published the layout people will figure out what to do in the real book. don't worry too much about it--as long as you get the idea across, people will know what you're doing.

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
I think formatting it the way you have it here and italicizing it or using a different font would do the trick.

Check out the YA section next time you're at the library or bookstore. Those fictional kids are just e-mailing up a storm these days, so I bet you'll find scads of examples to pull from.

kk