Status
Not open for further replies.

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
I just had to start a new story. This time YA urban fantasy that's picking up steam to the point that it is always on my mind.

What is it about writing that keeps us going? I told myself after finishing my last WIP that I was going to wait to start another story until after having the baby. I was burned out.

But it didin't last long.

It's my husband's fault. That's it! HE told me to just write it; that is, to start writing on the idea that came to me. Yeah! I'll blame him...

As if! :e2smack:

I just can't quit writing. It's an addiction! I don't want to turn off the creativity, but I'll be without my laptop for two days, pining to type out ideas, even while I need to be resting. Not even a new baby will turn it off. That could happen any day.

What am I to do? :cry:

What would you do? (just curious)

Melanie

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
chaostitan said:
Write it while it's fresh. The ideas may still be there after the baby is born, but the energy and time will be gone.

That's what I'm afraid of...losing the "feel" of the story. I get into a story and it just flows, even floods, but that can be slowed if I'm away from it more than a day.

Am I weird that way, or does anyone else go through the same process?

Melanie

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Oh, yeah, and boy do I get cranky when I get pulled away from my writing. When the thought process is working overtime, I like to keep writing. I have to keep writing.

If life does pull me away (and it will with a new baby, or a teenager, or even a spouse), I quickly write notes to myself about the direction the story should take.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I am like all of you in that I really need to write, I too get cranky when pulled away from my work and it's hard to get the SO to understand that. Anyway, I am just relieved to have found AW to come for meeting other interesting people interested in the art and craft of writing and the process of creating books. :)

Congrads on the writing career hitting off so well as you're doing, I wish you lots of luck with the new baby. I didn't write for a few years, I just didn't until the little one was walking, then I was able to get some time in on writing my stories. :)

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Melanie Nilles said:
That's what I'm afraid of...losing the "feel" of the story. I get into a story and it just flows, even floods, but that can be slowed if I'm away from it more than a day.

Am I weird that way, or does anyone else go through the same process?

Melanie

Write your ideas down now, because when Junior pops out, you'll have a whole bunch of other feelings/ideas to write on. Is this your first? You'll have lots of feelings you'll want to work into a story if so. And maybe even if this is a 2nd or 3rd,4th 5th or 6th lol.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote for years, from childhood up, then quit writing for years but recently started back around November 2005. I started a new story today and it's got nothing to do with the stories I've got as WIPs for editing. I forgot the point I was supposed to be making.

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
jennifer75 said:
Write your ideas down now, because when Junior pops out, you'll have a whole bunch of other feelings/ideas to write on. Is this your first? You'll have lots of feelings you'll want to work into a story if so. And maybe even if this is a 2nd or 3rd,4th 5th or 6th lol.

I had my ideas down and asked my husband what he thought I should do--wait until after the baby's born so I don't get interrupted in my flow of writing or start immediately just to have something to do. It's a catch 22 for me.

Btw, this will be our second child. The older sister is three years old.

I will find time to write when I'm back home, but being in the hospital can be boring, even with a new baby. I'm not one of those people who can sit around doing nothing. If I'm sitting, I'm thinking about my story and dying to turn on the laptop, which isn't possible most of the time. My mind keeps busy, too busy.

With all luck, I will be busy enough to keep from having withdrawal symptoms, that is, writing and internet withdrawal ;)

Melanie

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at the point now in my life that the only thing that gives me joy--true joy, of the warm and fuzzy kind--is writing. So basically, if I didn't keep writing, I wouldn't want to get up in the morning.

Okay, reading gives me joy as well, but I can do that in bed. Come to think, thanks to a little thing called a "laptop" I can write in bed as well.

Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.