I slept in a real bed last night...

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I haven't slept in a real bed since September '06 when I came to Phoenix because where I'm staying doesn't have a bed in the spare room. So, while I was helping my mom out when she hurt her back and since my return to work, I've slept on an army cot.

Well I finally got tired of the one hour drive to-and-from work, sleeping on a cot, waking up everyday tired and booked a room for two nights at a hotel close to work.

You'd think for $65 a night they'd throw in a clock radio or some little bottles of shampoo. Nope, I'd have to go and upgrade to the Hilton if I want those frills.

First night, hmmm...bed is hard as a rock, too many channels on t.v., so I'm up late, and they didn't bother with my wake-up call so I was an hour off schedule.

The moral of this story? I don't rightly know. Someone tell me.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Don't ask for an easier life, ask to be a stronger person.

The grass is always greener, but no matter which side of the fence, it still needs mowing.

Be glad for what you have and not envious of what you dont.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Jongfan said:

The grass is always greener, but no matter which side of the fence, it still needs mowing.

Bingo! I slept in a hard bed and was an hour late for work. My cot is much more comfy and the drive gives me a chance to reflect on how short life is when people are whizzing past you at ninety miles an hour.

One more night in the hotel from hell and I'm back on my cot for the weekend, or until I find another place to live closer to work. :D

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
Oh, I love the drive to work. Once I got a job that was only a ten minute drive away and I always felt unready for work when I got there. Now I'm half an hour away and I'm just about coping.

Admittedly I'd like to be teleported home though.

Beds. I love beds but I dislike strange beds and hotels so I'd never have done what you did. I'd probably have put the hotel fees towards buying a bed.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
A piece of egg-carton foam mattress padding cut down to cot size might make the cot less uncomfortable. There are probably places where you can find a twin sized piece fairly inexpensively.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The prostitutes kept complaining about the cot, didn't they?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Dawno said:
A piece of egg-carton foam mattress padding cut down to cot size might make the cot less uncomfortable. There are probably places where you can find a twin sized piece fairly inexpensively.
I would consider buying a bed, but what's the sense when I'm trying to find somewhere closer to work.

What I did find out about Phoenix is that they don't have (or very few) monthly budget suites or extended stay places that go by the week or month. I checked a few dozen around here and they quote me a daily/monthly rate that would cost about $1600 a month for a one-bedroom. Errr...Texas has hundreds of places where you can rent a furnished one-room with all the other frills thrown in.

Any suggestions? I'm only planning of remaining in Arizona for about four-six more months and don't want the hassle of getting an apartment.

Hmmm...

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
SpookyWriter said:
I would consider buying a bed, but what's the sense when I'm trying to find somewhere closer to work.

What I did find out about Phoenix is that they don't have (or very few) monthly budget suites or extended stay places that go by the week or month. I checked a few dozen around here and they quote me a daily/monthly rate that would cost about $1600 a month for a one-bedroom. Errr...Texas has hundreds of places where you can rent a furnished one-room with all the other frills thrown in.

Any suggestions? I'm only planning of remaining in Arizona for about four-six more months and don't want the hassle of getting an apartment.

Hmmm...

Buy an RV/Trailer. My wife's cousin is a contract airplane mechanic -- he goes where the work is. So he'll spend 6-8 months in phoenix, and then a few months in Dallas, and then up to Chicago, just rotating to where air fleets are being serviced. He has a very nice 5th wheel trailer he takes with him, gets a RV park spot (couple hundred bucks a month) and that's his address while he's there.

Bonus: most RV parks have all the same bennys as a hotel. Pool, concessions, etc.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Christine N. said:
Anywhere you can sub-let month to month? You wouldn't have the hassle of being the 'renter' since you're subletting, but you'd still have a place to stay.
Craigslist has a few that I'm looking into. It's all these snowbirds sucking up the good deals. I imagine this summer the market will be hot with tons of vacancies. Errr....

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
dclary said:
Buy an RV/Trailer. My wife's cousin is a contract airplane mechanic -- he goes where the work is. So he'll spend 6-8 months in phoenix, and then a few months in Dallas, and then up to Chicago, just rotating to where air fleets are being serviced. He has a very nice 5th wheel trailer he takes with him, gets a RV park spot (couple hundred bucks a month) and that's his address while he's there.

Bonus: most RV parks have all the same bennys as a hotel. Pool, concessions, etc.
Interesting idea, Dave. But once I get back to Dallas, I'll try and settle down for a few months (years) in one place while the kids finish school and such. Maybe I'll do the RV later in life (but in Europe).

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Don't have to get rid of your trailer once you settle down, S. Then you start using it more for the "R" in the "RV." It's certainly worth considering.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Here's the latest Craigslist response to my ad :rant: :

I have 4br,3bath,front yard pool and garage in the { Chandler } area im looking to rent free to someone neat, responsible, hardworking and trustworthy too, pls email me only if you still looking for a place. i hope to find someone soon. nothing is free , there is always a catch but im sure this is the best offer and i hope interests you if you fit my demands. thanks

Micheal

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
I was about to say try an air mattress, but Terri beat me to it. I slept on one for years while I was moving around a lot, and they're not much different from a real mattress. In fact, there are actually some pretty comfy ones out there.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jongfan said:

:(

spooky:Hug2:
hugs kimmi