For The Writers With Multiple Pen Names...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorDrums

Kidnapper
Registered
Reaction score
...how do you go about promoting/marketing your different works? If you've written a romance novel under one pen name and a science-fiction piece under another pen name (or used a pen name for one book and your real name for another book, something I plan on doing), would you, for example, do book signings, interviews, and the like for one and then do blogging for the other? If there was a discussion about this subject before, I apologize, and would appreciate being directed there. TIA.:)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would do all for all. You just appear under different names. If one or the other genre is a total secret for some reason (like you write kiddy books and extreme erotica), then you can't do any in person events related to that work. Soem publishers may not be too keen on that.

MajorDrums

Kidnapper
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your insight, veinglory!

ETA: I don't know why I find it funny to have a writer do an interview under one name, and then maybe later do another in-person promotional event under a different name. Might be a little confusing as well...I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
As long as you're not appearing at the same place on the same night. Then you'd have to run away, change your clothes and put on big glasses, a rubber nose and a fake accent.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I actually have friends who have agreed to be my various personae in the unlikely event I ever get publishd and am popular enough to warrent exposure. They're much prettier and articulate than I am.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The only choices are to be have you different names be discoverable (like with Nora Roberst/J D Robb and many others) or cut back how well you promote for one or all of your publishers.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I would totally go the Daniel Handler/Lemony Snicket route and make my pen name (Lemony Snicket) a character. Not necessarily as outrageous as he is, but the same general idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.