PDA

View Full Version : The Best Rejection Ever

Pisarz
01-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Last night I received the best rejection ever! Really. I never thought "best" and "rejection" and a smidge (or more) of delight could exist in such proximity.

An agent had my partial but declined it because the agency is no longer focusing on commerical fiction. She said she loved the twist and that the writing was good. And THEN she referred me to three agents! (She and the other three are all totally legit and well-known, so no Edit Ink worries here). She told me to use her name and specified a favorable comment that I could pass on to them via her referral.

Be still my heart. What a compliment!

brainstorm77
01-18-2007, 07:59 PM
thats really good :)

C.bronco
01-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Good luck!

stormie
01-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Hey, terrific! Now continue with the querying; I'm sure you'll get requests for partials.

Pamster
01-18-2007, 08:19 PM
I haven't had a request for anything yet, so hopefully I get one out of what I have sent out today. :) Good luck on your search for representation Pisarz! :)

Pisarz
01-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Ok, I already got a rejection on one of the three whose guidelines suggest sending the first 5 pages. Turns out the premise didn't capture her imagination and she thought the narrative voice was too distant. BUT I can even take two positives from this: the response was fast and I got some feedback. And maybe someone else will like the voice (though I'm always afraid NO ONE will like it . . .)

LilaDubois
01-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Good luck! You still have two so the odds are with you, and clearly the original agent liked it.

popmuze
01-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Ok, I already got a rejection on one of the three whose guidelines suggest sending the first 5 pages

Do you mean to say you got a response to your query and first five pages in something like 15 minutes?
Just goes to show what a recommendation will do.
I've got three fulls and a partial sitting somewhere unread for the last three months.
Anyway, you're definitely onto something. If you send out 50 more queries, you'll probably get 20 requests.

K1P1
01-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Congratuations! Best of luck with the remaining two agents.

Pisarz
01-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Do you mean to say you got a response to your query and first five pages in something like 15 minutes?
Just goes to show what a recommendation will do.
I've got three fulls and a partial sitting somewhere unread for the last three months.
Anyway, you're definitely onto something. If you send out 50 more queries, you'll probably get 20 requests.

Yeah, within 37 minutes, believe it or not.

Funny thing is, I've sent out WELL over a hundred queries and have had only 7 requests for partials and 2 for fulls (one from the partial, one from the query). And I've changed the query around, so the requests reflect different queries. I'm under the impression that not only am I way below the mean, but that my chances are not so great of landing an agent as a result ('cause maybe the requests are flukes?). The great highs of things like a referral are off set by two months of no new requests. It's so erratic that I have no way to gauge whether I'm thisclose or pipe dreaming all the way.

popmuze
01-19-2007, 12:36 AM
This is all part of the game, I suspect.
A few months ago, when I was employed by a top company, using their email, I would average two requests for the manuscript for every three queries, most of them coming within 24 hours.
Now that I am back to using my own email address, I sent out six queries a few days ago, and have not gotten a single response as yet.
And it's the same query!
On the next batch I'm going to use the name of my former company in the subject line, just to see if that will work.

Billboy
01-19-2007, 01:24 AM
Congratulations!
Yes, it is all part of the process of standing out from the sea of queries.
You can be a first timer, but if you are the President of Ukraine and you want to write your memoirs, the agents will beat a path to your door.
If you are a CEO, you still stand a good chance.
If you are just a teacher, then you move down the ladder of importance.
If you are a commoner and a first timer in the fiction market, well, expect a lot of rejections.
But as you can see from all the experts here at AW, just don't give up and continue trying.
How long you may ask?
Until you get published, that is the answer.
So lift up your head and step boldly forward.

Freckles
01-19-2007, 01:37 AM
Wow, a referral in a rejection! That's awesome!!! :)

AzBobby
01-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Congratulations! Excellent news.

I saw the title of your post and thought of its meaning prior to opening it. To me, the "best rejection ever" would have to be, "Sorry, your submission did not fit the needs of our .05/word magazine, so we had to pass it along to our owner's $1/word magazine where they decided to buy it instead."

I hope your referrals between agents amount to the same sort of thing!

Sury
01-19-2007, 11:47 AM
That's wonderful, Pisarz. BEST OF LUCK with the remaining agents! Do let us know how it goes. :)

Sury

jonereb
01-22-2007, 05:50 PM
I recently received two non-form letter rejections also. Both were very encouraging. I guess, I'll keep plugging along on my WIP in the meantime.

Pisarz
01-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Ok, my enthusiasm had officially diminished. Rejection #2 (on just a query) was a form--despite the agent referral. So much for that. Let the six figure rejection count continue.

I will be shocked (shocked, I tell you) if I ever get an agent. I just have a feeling it isn't in the cards, despite my determination and ambition. I think I'm one of those writers whose writing isn't poor but whose writing doesn't "wow" anyone, either. It's mechanically sound but obviously doesn't have that "it" factor necessary for success. Thank goodness I have a day job.

janetbellinger
01-23-2007, 07:53 PM
That is a compliment. Good luck.

Thomma Lyn
01-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Ok, my enthusiasm had officially diminished. Rejection #2 (on just a query) was a form--despite the agent referral. So much for that. Let the six figure rejection count continue.

I will be shocked (shocked, I tell you) if I ever get an agent. I just have a feeling it isn't in the cards, despite my determination and ambition. I think I'm one of those writers whose writing isn't poor but whose writing doesn't "wow" anyone, either. It's mechanically sound but obviously doesn't have that "it" factor necessary for success. Thank goodness I have a day job.

Hang in there, Pisarz. This writers' path can be a jarringly up-and-down journey -- one day you're over the moon ecstatic, and the next day your stomach is in knots as you wonder why you ever went near a computer word processor in the first place.

Think about how wonderful you felt about your Best Rejection Ever. It's an important milestone for a writer when she's mailing agents requested fulls, let alone getting such positive feedback. Every agent is different, though, and I think the subjectivity of the whole submission process is what tends to frustrate us the most.

Thinking about Miss Snark's Crapometer: I followed it avidly, and I learned that subjectivity is a huge factor in the getting of agents. Pretty much everybody can agree what is crap and what isn't, on a nuts-and-bolts writing level. Beyond that, though, in the realm of story, it's a toss-up. Your writing is clearly good enough to be making the cut with regard to agent interest -- the challenge now is to find that agent who will fall in love with your story. No easy task, as I know all too well.

Try to focus on those full requests, that Best Rejection Ever, and try not to let the form get you down (I know, easier said than done). A person can't read too much into a form since agents are such busy people. But the fact that agents have taken time to read your full and offer glowing feedback shows me that you're clearly a writer who is headed in the right (write :) ) direction.

Don't forget to start your next novel. I can't recommend highly enough having a new WIP in the fire to keep your spirits up when querying for your previous one.

Take care, keep at it, and I'm sending virtual chocolate and hugs. :Hug2: