Signature size question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished my signature, but I'm wondering how I can tell if it's too big or not. Is there a size limit?

For the Freelance Contest pic, I copied and pasted the one Joanne had in the Freelance Forum.

Can you tell I'm a non-computer person? :(

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Whoops! My fault! I didn't think of size requirements when I made the graphic, I can easily reduce it for further contests. Freckles, I'll send it over to Joanne to post when I get a chance to fix it. :)

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there is a specific limit is there? I am new so maybe one of the great staffers can inform us all on the accepted limits. :)

Deleted member 42

There isn't a specific size limit now, but I do think that's a mite big. There are still a lot of folk on modems, and if the image could be made a little smaller, it would be courteous towards them.

Thanks for thinking about others by the way . . . it's appreciated.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
With images, it's not so much the physical size (x by y pixels) as it is the number of bytes it takes up. Those two graphics are pretty small. You can right-click on an image and select properties to see the size. The tickerfactory one is a really small 3.49k and the freelance one is a larger 10.68k. These and most of ther graphics files are stored in a compressed format which saves a lot, compared to an uncompressed format such as .bmp that's always been the standard for the Windows Paint program (though ISTR it can save in other formats). I've got an older graphics program that allows you to save with different compression/quality settings. I swiped the freelance image and played around saving it. Here's the freelance thing saved in lowest quality, taking 7k bytes:
aw_crude.jpg

With this one I think the compression artifacts actually add to the "bad typewriter font" image.:)

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is always big even when I scrunch the words down to the smallest size. I gave up and left mine big.

Status
Not open for further replies.