PDA

View Full Version : PeeDee, Bravo -- come back!

ColoradoGuy
01-18-2007, 04:42 AM
I can't speak for other posters, but I want AWers to regard this forum as open to anyone's thoughts about how language does its work -- from high in the clouds of Theory to down and dirty on the practical ground. Or even out of far left field.

Cath
01-18-2007, 05:02 AM
I'd love to join in more, ColoradoGuy, but half the the posts might be in Klingon for all I understand of them.

Is there a good primer for critical theory that might help those of us who've never come across it before?

ColoradoGuy
01-18-2007, 06:00 AM
Medievalist suggested one next door in the sticky thread: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1055836&postcount=6

Medievalist
01-18-2007, 06:02 AM
Cath you don't really need to know a lot, honestly.

I'm just this side of being hostile toward critical theory, really.

All you really need to do is like words.

Rolling Thunder
01-18-2007, 06:05 AM
I've been taking a few stabs at literal writing lately so this thread/forum is of interest to me as well.

Cath
01-18-2007, 06:12 AM
I did look for that book in B&N earlier - thanks for the recommendation. Looks like Amazon is my friend (again).

robeiae
01-18-2007, 06:25 AM
I'm just this side of being hostile toward critical theory, really.Well, get on over here, already! I'm serving slow-cooked Derrida in a light Jameson sauce, with pickled Fish on the side, for dinner tomorrow.

Cath
01-18-2007, 06:27 AM
Ok - that was Klingon. :)

Which is why I want a primer.

MacAllister
01-18-2007, 06:33 AM
Huh? Where'd PeeDee and Bravo go? And why come? It was just starting to get really fun!

MidnightMuse
01-18-2007, 06:35 AM
I'm fascinated by this forum, but it makes me feel like I wandered into the wrong class :D

I'll sit in the corner and stare at the big kids until Cath finds us that primer.

C.bronco
01-18-2007, 06:42 AM
Nah. Just give your opinion on stuff. Don't worry aboudit.

Cath
01-18-2007, 06:48 AM
OK - I'm in - but bear with me if I ask some really stupid questions. :)

Medievalist
01-18-2007, 06:50 AM
No stupid questions. Really.

A lot of this stuff is totally stupid jargon. If I say something confusing, call me on, it, and I'll do better.

ColoradoGuy
01-18-2007, 07:06 AM
No stupid questions. Really.

A lot of this stuff is totally stupid jargon. If I say something confusing, call me on, it, and I'll do better.
Jargon is often the refuge of fools. I've had Nobel Prize winners for teachers and once had the incredible experience of sitting with about 6 other callow 20-year-olds for a series of seminars with Isaiah Berlin! All of these people were some of the most clear explainers I've ever heard. They said the same thing: "there are no stupid questions here."

Rolling Thunder
01-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Huh? Where'd PeeDee and Bravo go? And why come? It was just starting to get really fun!
American Idol. :rolleyes:

ETA: Gonna keep this thread OT and not test ColoradoGuy's theory on 'no such thing as a stupid question.'

Birol
01-18-2007, 07:23 AM
The professor of the class I'm taking this semester told us that the only thing you can do [with litcrit] is jump in the middle. She's right, you know? And what better place to jump in then a place where you're surrounded by friends?

SpookyWriter
01-20-2007, 12:50 AM
Jargon is often the refuge of fools. I've had Nobel Prize winners for teachers and once had the incredible experience of sitting with about 6 other callow 20-year-olds for a series of seminars with Isaiah Berlin! All of these people were some of the most clear explainers I've ever heard. They said the same thing: "there are no stupid questions here."Who seek the solitude of ambiquity.

ColoradoGuy
01-20-2007, 03:19 AM
Who seek the solitude of ambiquity.
Ubiquity? Ambiguous equity? Equitable ambulations? Enough Ambien?

TsukiRyoko
01-27-2007, 12:13 PM
The professor of the class I'm taking this semester told us that the only thing you can do [with litcrit] is jump in the middle. She's right, you know? And what better place to jump in then a place where you're surrounded by friends? You make them sound like such a friendly bunch while completely disregarding the sharp claws and teeth. ;)

Birol
01-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Well, the toughest looking one is also one of my aikido practice partners, so I know I can take him.