PA books are no longer being carried by online bookstores

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It seems that more than just a few PA authors are finding problems ordering their novels from anyone other than PA. If I'm wrong, feel free to delete this thread.

Well, where do I start? Over the past few weeks, I have tried to order a copy of my book through B&N with no joy. Seems there is a problem but I can't seem to find out where it is. As best as I can tell the physical store has a system of checking their warehouse. Being a POD book they find it isn't in stock. They next try Ingrams. They don't stock it either and the order comes back cancelled by vendor. Something smells. I have contacted Ingrams and they told me to tell the store to contact them directly. I did that and Ingrams sent a memo out to allB&N stores saying to order it as "Reserved". I did that too. They still cancelled the order at the store. There seems to be a break in the ordering chain. Also, why do some B&N bookstores order and get the book in with no problem and others just ant seem to manage it? If a person can walk into a B&N store and order a book only to get it cancelled then what's the use of going there or them saying they sell books in the first place? Also, I don't have any problem at all ordering through the B&N website. They go through Ingrams and I have the book in about a week. Strange to say the least. Any ideas?

am the author of XXXXXXXXX. My second novel, XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX has just been contracted here at Publish America. I usually call Ingrams, at their 1-800 number to find out how many copies are sold on their automated service. Now my ISBN is no longer valid according to tele. Does this mean that only the Publish America Warehouse is housing copies of XXXXXXXXXX?

I was checking the status of my book, XXXXXXXXXX, and its not avaliable at amazon.com. I dont understand because it was yesterday. Can anyone tell me why that would happen?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
First of all, that second poster must not have any idea what POD stands for, if he or she thinks there is such a thing as a "PA Warehouse". I don't know about the Amazon stuff, but I do remember there some rumblings awhile back that Amazon was going to start charging extra for POD titles. I think that's the reason for the mass rights-returning we saw last year.

And I found a couple of PA books on Amazon today, so maybe that poster couldn't find it. I wonder if PA spelled the book title correctly?

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
My contract was terminated 9-11-2006, and my book is still carried on all the online stores including Amazon and B&N.

I sent this email at the end of December (book title deleted).

"My contract was terminated and rights returned effective 9-11-2006. The book is still listed on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other sites. I expect the publisher must take action to remove books from those listings and would appreciate your doing so immediately, but not later han 12-31-06. I don't expect future sales, and I don't want any carry over into another tax year."

Here is PA's answer:

"Your books were pulled from the market the very day we received your signed termination agreement. (My note: there was no signed termination agreement. They sent me an unconditional release). No new copies have been printed since then, no new copies have been made available through our wholesalers, and no new copies have been sold. If you were to visit your local bookstore and ask them to check the availability of your books, they would confirm this.

(MY CAPS) WE HAVE NO CONTROL OVER AMAZON AND OTHER ON-LINE VENDORS' LISTING POLICIES. BOOKS THAT ARE OUT OF PRINT MAY REMAIN LISTED THERE FOR YEARS ON END. IT IS THE PEROGATIVE OF THOSE VENDORS TO DO AS THEY PLEASE, EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE HAD NO ACCESS TO BOOKS AFTER THEY WERE DISCONTINUED, AND EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD BEEN ADVISED ABOUT THE DISCONTINUATION.

Our agreement has been fully abided to by us. We expect you to continue to abide to it as well. (I am fully willing to abide by it, if I knew what it was.) Please contact the vendors listing your book for any further information."

Well, as you can see: dealing with PA is akin to being nibbled to death by ducks.

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
Yes I've heard Amazon carries books long after and it happens not only for PA titles. The thing I have read lately on PAMB had to do with new authors not having their book available through Amazon. It's odd they list a book but then cancel the order or can not get the buyer the order.

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
Christine N. said:
First of all, that second poster must not have any idea what POD stands for, if he or she thinks there is such a thing as a "PA Warehouse".
LOL PA Warehouse!

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
PA lies once again. They must inform LSI (printer) to "turn off" the title at Amazon. Barnes and Noble were quiet nice to me and took my book off their sites from the weight of my letter. However Amazon won't make a move untill told by LSI or whoever to "turn off" title. Then they are still able to sell your book even after your rights are returned, if there were any at all anywhere in print, including used ones. Believe me the used ones exist. I found two of mine at a used book store after my rights were returned. I bought them, at two dollars a piece, just to deplete the supply. Now my book is no longer stocked on any online site. It comes up not available for sale.

Hallelujah!!

PM me if you want the name and email of the Amazon legal counsel.

Last edited:

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
That may well be. However, with me, it's the principle of the whole thing. Right is right and wrong is wrong. I fight for my rights in all matters.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't checked on my PA book in some time, over at Amazon or BN. I seem to remember BN not having my book in stock anymore, but as for Amazon--and this was some time ago--they seemed to have it ready for shipment, although it was difficult to get it.

However, P&E had no trouble ordering my book after the contract was terminated. Amazon delivered it within a few days of P&E's order.

But that was back in September. A lot can change in several months.

In any case, I for one would be mighty pleased if my book were no longer being sold online. PA terminated my contract, they should at least have the decency to stop selling my book, the rights to which they have reverted to me.