PDA

View Full Version : Question about Pen names and submitting

greatfish
01-17-2007, 07:36 PM
When submitting to publishers, should you use the pen name right off the bat, or should you use your real name and inform them that you want the work published under a different name?

aka eraser
01-17-2007, 07:50 PM
The latter. You want to make sure the cheque is made out properly. :)

Shadow_Ferret
01-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Well, I always thought that they'd see from the manuscript that you were using a pen name.

Shouldn't your real name and address be in the upper left corner and then your pen name only appears as the by-line.

Like:

Shadow Ferret
123 Inacage Lane
Hammock City, WI

Ferret Bueller's Day Off
by Ima Humanbean

Or something like that?

Kate Thornton
01-17-2007, 08:03 PM
You can always let them know, in your cover letter, that Aloyisious J. Pendergast is your pen name while your real name is Mary Sue Brown. Your contract should be in your real name so that your money is sent to you, not your pen name.

aka eraser
01-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Although I've never published under a pen name I think the generally-accepted practice is to lay it out something like:

Bacon Cheeseburgers: The New Health Food
By Frank Baron
writing as: M. Cardio Infarction

K1P1
01-17-2007, 08:36 PM
My publisher has a form you have to fill out along with your contract that includes your legal name, the name you want the copyright under, and the name as it should appear on the book itself. This prevents any confusion.

Jamesaritchie
01-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Shadow_Ferret has it right. I write under several pseudonyms, and for teh vast majority of publishers out there, there's no need to fill out a form, to write anything in the cover letter, or go to any other lengths.

You put your real name in the upper, left hand corner, and your pseudonym under the title of the story. The story will then automatically be published under your pseudonym, and checks/contracts will be sent to you under your real name.

The only exception is, as K1P1 states, if you want the work registered, not copyrighted, under a pseudonym. But be aware this can cause problems. Work registered under a pseudonym does not have the same length of copyright protection as work published under your real name, though it's certainly long enough for most conditions.

Shadow_Ferret
01-17-2007, 08:47 PM
My publisher has a form you have to fill out along with your contract that includes your legal name, the name you want the copyright under, and the name as it should appear on the book itself. This prevents any confusion.
That's interesting. Can you have the copyright listed under your pen name? I mean, what's the point of having a pen name if right on the bibliography portion its listed ©2006 Shadow Ferret... ?

veinglory
01-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Copyright must be under your real name. Yes this does give some people away--but real names are almost always easily discoverable--it's more of a partition than a wall. And you don't have to slap the copyright on the book in order to hold it, as far as I know.

jennifer75
01-17-2007, 10:43 PM
So last night when I should have been sleeping, I had an idea of what I would write under if I ever decide to write a childrens story. :)

Now, whats this about if your work is copyright you have to use real names???

Anonymous Traveler
01-17-2007, 10:45 PM
What about ISBN data? It's not likely my Rabbi will see my name and say "how could that nice boy write those terrible books?" But some people seem to have nothing better to do than dig up all the dirt they can.

veinglory
01-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Copyright asserts legal ownership, by real people. You pen name can't file court papers if the copyright is infringed.

jennifer75
01-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Copyright asserts legal ownership, by real people. You pen name can't file court papers if the copyright is infringed.

Gotcha.

Shadow_Ferret
01-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Can't you then, in turn, copyright your pen name?

Anonymous Traveler
01-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Can't you then, in turn, copyright your pen name?

I believe that names cannot be copyrighted however they can be registered as trade marks or business names and be protected. Depending on your jurisdiction.

veinglory
01-25-2007, 06:59 AM
I was totally wrong on this:

"Do I have to use my real name on the form? Can I use a stage name or a pen name?
There is no legal requirement that the author be identified by his or her real name on the application form. For further information, see FL 101, Pseudonyms. If filing under a fictitious name, check the “Pseudonymous” box at space 2. "

Jamesaritchie
01-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Books can be registered with the U.S. Copyright office under any name you desire. It does not have to be under your real name. That's a myth. I have several there under my pen name(s).

There is a sort of penalty for doing this in that you get only a straight 70 years of protection, rather than the life plus protection. But you can, at any time you desire, go back and re-register the books under your real name, and thereby gain the full life plus protection.

Anonymous Traveler
01-25-2007, 07:04 PM
“Pseudonymous”

Is that an extinct dinosaur that traveled under an alias??

Maprilynne
01-25-2007, 08:07 PM
No, no, no. That's a Pseudonysaurus Rex. Silly Anonymous.;)

Maprilynne