PDA

View Full Version : Defying Natural Law on Mypace.com

Liam Jackson
01-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Basketballs fans, if you'd like to see something that defies natural law, check out the MySpace video at:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=899643086

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-17-2007, 03:49 PM
That is NO lie! What a video!

aka eraser
01-17-2007, 08:17 PM
An airborne corkscrew. Wow!

By the way, I don't have a Myspace account but the link still worked.

tombookpub
01-24-2007, 06:37 AM
If he could throw in a backward pike, I'd award him a 10.0.

Liam Jackson
02-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Cool, Frank. Someone sent me the link before I opened an account, but I couldn't access the video. Just assumed, and you know what they say about assume...;)

I've seen other players attempt that move at the college level, but thats the cleanest double I've ever seen. Tremendous physical ability.

Tom, I'll give him a ten just because he pulled it off without tossing his cookies on camera.

A. Hamilton
02-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Another confirmation that basketball is my favorite spectator sport. What a great cam-shot!

Shadow_Ferret
02-08-2007, 08:49 PM
What was the point of that? Just to be a hotdog? I don't things like that. Just score. Why act like a jerk about it? That's the problem with sports today. Too many showoffs and not enough maturity.

aka eraser
02-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Shadow, the answer is "entertainment" (not to mention athleticism). It makes scouts take notice. At the pro level, it keeps fans paying major bucks for seats to the show.

If a player is too much of a hot dog, his peers will take him down a peg or two.

Shadow_Ferret
02-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Or what passes for entertainment today. Kinda sad, really.

I remember being very entertained by them just playing basketball, playing by the rules, and impressing me with their ability to score, not by acrobatics.

To me this is just showboating and isn't good for that part of the game that used to be called good sportsmanship. You just made the basket, you didn't rub it into the opponent's face by doing cartwheels and flips. But I guess that part of the game is long dead in all sports.

If I want to see this kind of entertainment, I'll go see the Harlem Globetrotters again.

Liam Jackson
05-16-2008, 11:00 PM
I agree with Ferret about the showboating. I'm not crazy about the kid pulling this in a game, but that doesn't diminish the athletic prowess required to pull off the move.

I'll tell ya' something that does bother me, and that's high school football/basketball recruiting coverage. Media and fans have created an entire generation of up and coming, "me first" athletes. "Team" is fast becoming an antiquated concept. While the idea of teamwork is still as golden as a cold Pabst Blue Ribbon, it's also as dated.

Practice is no longer about developing or honing one's skills and abilities. Sports stars like Allan Iverson deride the very notion of practice. Shaq might have a lifetime ppg of *name the number* if only he would have spent another hour a day shooting free-throws in the gym. But he gets indignant as hell if a journalist asks about his lack of productivity at the line.

If I hear one more overhyped 17 year old say he's attending some summer camp in order to "showcase my skills," I'm gonna' hurl. I'm already standing over a bucket because I know it's coming. Again, and again, and again...