Defying Natural Law on Mypace.com

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
If he could throw in a backward pike, I'd award him a 10.0.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cool, Frank. Someone sent me the link before I opened an account, but I couldn't access the video. Just assumed, and you know what they say about assume...;)

I've seen other players attempt that move at the college level, but thats the cleanest double I've ever seen. Tremendous physical ability.

Tom, I'll give him a ten just because he pulled it off without tossing his cookies on camera.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Another confirmation that basketball is my favorite spectator sport. What a great cam-shot!

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Shadow, the answer is "entertainment" (not to mention athleticism). It makes scouts take notice. At the pro level, it keeps fans paying major bucks for seats to the show.

If a player is too much of a hot dog, his peers will take him down a peg or two.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Or what passes for entertainment today. Kinda sad, really.

I remember being very entertained by them just playing basketball, playing by the rules, and impressing me with their ability to score, not by acrobatics.

To me this is just showboating and isn't good for that part of the game that used to be called good sportsmanship. You just made the basket, you didn't rub it into the opponent's face by doing cartwheels and flips. But I guess that part of the game is long dead in all sports.

If I want to see this kind of entertainment, I'll go see the Harlem Globetrotters again.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Ferret about the showboating. I'm not crazy about the kid pulling this in a game, but that doesn't diminish the athletic prowess required to pull off the move.

I'll tell ya' something that does bother me, and that's high school football/basketball recruiting coverage. Media and fans have created an entire generation of up and coming, "me first" athletes. "Team" is fast becoming an antiquated concept. While the idea of teamwork is still as golden as a cold Pabst Blue Ribbon, it's also as dated.

Practice is no longer about developing or honing one's skills and abilities. Sports stars like Allan Iverson deride the very notion of practice. Shaq might have a lifetime ppg of *name the number* if only he would have spent another hour a day shooting free-throws in the gym. But he gets indignant as hell if a journalist asks about his lack of productivity at the line.

If I hear one more overhyped 17 year old say he's attending some summer camp in order to "showcase my skills," I'm gonna' hurl. I'm already standing over a bucket because I know it's coming. Again, and again, and again...

Last edited: