PDA

View Full Version : [Publisher] Loose Id

Pages : [1] 2

RedandGold
01-17-2007, 01:04 AM
Ok I will jump in and ask

I am sure that they are a legitimate e-publisher ( I have done some research) but I just wanted to ask in here if they are any good?

Has anyone got any tales to tell?

Thanks

James D. Macdonald
01-17-2007, 01:07 AM
URL?

Read any of their books?

And what do you mean by 'good'? What's your goal?

KimJo
01-17-2007, 01:20 AM
I know some members of this board have published with them; if you check out the Erotic forum under Genres, you might find more information. And hopefully one or more of those members will stop by here to answer your question.

RedandGold
01-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Sorry the URL is:

http://www.loose-id.com/

My goal is to get my submission read in a timely manener, get published with no more headaches than is normal, and then get paid well and on time.

Beyond that I would love to hear about what other people have to say

JulesJones
01-17-2007, 03:37 PM
I've been with them since before they opened for business two and a half years ago. Note that the following is only my personal experience, but I have been very happy with them.

Payment is typically monthly and happens on time, for values of "on time" that include it slipping by a few days when the staff are all at Romance Times, etc. Sales through distributors are not paid until LI receives the money from the distributors, so for example Fictionwise payments are quarterly and a couple of months in arrears.

The editing is not as intensive as I would expect from a big NY publisher, but it happens, and it's good. (If my editor moved publisher I might well follow her...)

Cover art is generally good to excellent (this matters), you get some input, and they are responsive if you hate it. There's the occasional absolutely dire cover, but it's occasional, not routine.

My sales figures (all m/m books, mostly sf/fantasy) vary from a few hundred to several hundred copies. My last book came out nearly a year ago, and the general trend of sales has been up since then, so I would expect my book coming out next month to do significantly better than the previous one. There are people selling a lot more, and some selling less, but the house is popular with romance ebook readers. The editing and proof-reading have been mentioned by readers on mailing lists as reasons to favour the house when buying books. My backlist books all continue to sell several copies each month, even the ones that have been out for over two years now. These are small press numbers -- you will sell a lot more copies through one of the big New York houses. But they are good numbers for epublishing.

The current contract is initially two years, after which it automatically renews annually unless either party gives notice. There is a one year option for print rights (which if taken up also extends the ebook term), but they explicitly exclude anything not to do with book rights. They have first refusal on translation rights and further books in the series/universe.

It is primarily an ebook publisher. There is a print programme, but they do not intend to take all books to print. Do not assume your book will be available in print. There are no fees, and the last time I checked the contract they were responsible for copyright registration on print editions.

There are a couple of the EPIC red flags in the contract (including the automatic renewal unless you explicitly give notice), but not ones I personally have an issue with. I don't like the reversion clause for getting your right back during the term of the contract (it's restrictive and it involves a fee), but at least there is one, and you can always give notice that you won't be renewing the contract come annual renewal time.

I don't know what the current response time is for the slushpile, although I believe they're still managing within a month or so. Time from turning in a complete draft manuscript to publication varies (my novella and novel length ones have been anywhere from six weeks to six months), but is about to get longer to allow more flexibility in editing and proof-reading. It will still be significantly shorter than your typical print publisher. It's not first in, first out -- for example, my next two books will come out in reverse order, because the second one finished is a) themed to a specific date Real Soon Now, b) a lot shorter and thus a lot quicker to get through editing. So my editor's working on that one first.

You can see my books here:
http://www.loose-id.net/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=30

If you want to email me, feel free: jules.jones@gmail.com

JulesJones
01-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Addendum: the url may be "loose-id.com", but the publisher name is Loose Id, not Loose-Id. Any chance of a mod changing the thread title?

veinglory
01-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Other similar publishers may publish quicker and insist on less editing, but in terms of quality or product, ease of process and sales they are clearly a market leader for erotic romance epublishing. I say that as a women sitting in a cyber cafe after just having banked her monthly royalty check. I particularly appreciate my editor there who has been with me from the beginning and has been a great resource to me. I have, to date, written 9 novellas and one short story for Loose Id and have no complaints. I will continue to write for them for as long as they will have me.

RedandGold
01-18-2007, 01:15 AM
Thank you both for your very helpful replies.

BarbaraSheridan
01-18-2007, 08:43 AM
My friend Anne and I have contracted three books to Loose ID, two novels and one short which they term a "Fling" . That short came out the beginning of the month so I can't answer anything sales wise, but Anne and I have been quite happy with the editing and the everything in general so far.

JulesJones
02-03-2007, 09:33 PM
One minor negative point -- the author discount on print editions is only a short discount, and to be honest probably not worth having.

JulesJones
03-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Loose Id is an RWA-recognised publisher as of the beginning of March 2007.

jamiehall
02-13-2008, 02:40 AM
I've tried http://www.loose-id.com/ and http://www.loose-id.net/ but I can't get the sites to load at all. Is it just me, or are the websites gone?

Dragon-lady
02-13-2008, 03:02 AM
Won't load for me. Could be server problems on their end, of course.

caromora
02-13-2008, 03:46 AM
Works fine for me. :)

BarbaraSheridan
02-13-2008, 04:21 AM
Works fine on my end too.

Dragon-lady
02-13-2008, 04:27 AM
Yes, it's loading now. Servers go down--it happens. :)

Chumplet
02-13-2008, 05:46 AM
One of the girls in my critique group has published two books with them, and if her quality of writing is an indication, I think it's a great publisher to go with for e-books (my stuff is a little too tame).

BarbaraSheridan
02-13-2008, 07:30 AM
Loose-ID is a most excellent publisher. Very professional and on the ball and I love my editor to pieces. She always points out the little things that make me go "why didn't I think of that?"

jamiehall
02-15-2008, 04:35 AM
The website is loading just fine for me today.

madmumbler
07-07-2008, 04:24 PM
I've read several of their books and the quality is good. I subbed "Love & Brimstone" to them, they requested the full but then passed because it wasn't hot enough. *LOL* HOWEVER, they were VERY professional and sent me a nice personal note when they passed and invited me to sub other mss to them because they liked the quality of my writing.

They also have a very nice print ad in the July Romantic Times Book Reviews mag, two-page full color spread (which means they're doing some sales because those are exPENsive).

Because I'm calendrically (haha) challenged, I didn't realize Friday was the holiday last week (I know, I know) and I subbed a new query to them. I won't expect to hear back on that for a little while because of the holiday. (I had it fixed in my mind it was today for some stupid reason.)

I emailed with one of their authors and she indicated she's happy with them, so we'll see. The reports on Piers Anthony's site are overall positive. I'll update if/when I have more.

Robin Bayne
07-07-2008, 08:28 PM
I don't write in that genre but have seen many positive comments about them on various blogs.

Stacia Kane
07-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Yep, Loose-id is absolutely legit, one of the top epublishers.

madmumbler
07-08-2008, 02:04 AM
Update - I actually DID receive a reply today on my sub, acknowledging receipt of it (a real person reply, not an auto-responder, because I was invited to sub directly to the person I'd dealt with before instead of the generic sub address).

So now the hard part - waiting. *LOL*

JulesJones
07-13-2008, 08:39 PM
For some sales numbers -- of my 15 titles to date at Loose Id, I have one title with over 1500 copies sold, and four more with over 1000 copies sold, one of which will probably hit 1500 this month. (OTOH, I also have one that failed miserably, with only 150 copies in its first six months. Even at a successful epub, titles occasionally sink without trace.)

davidhburton
01-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Hi all,

anyone know anything about this publisher? Couldn't find anything about them here, so hope I didn't miss it. They appear to do ebooks and trade paperback. I can see that their books are carried at Indigo up here in Canada, but none that are too recent.

P&E states: "a new, royalty paying e-publisher."

Anyone with experience with them?

Thanks!
David

JulieB
01-30-2009, 07:46 PM
<link snipped>

BTW, there's a sticky at the top of this forum with an index to publishers. Often you can find something there easier than through the forum search engine.

davidhburton
01-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks kindly!!

veinglory
01-30-2009, 07:56 PM
http://www.erecsite.com/SALES.html

michael_b
02-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Of all my publishers, current and past, Loose-id is my favorite. They are the most professional, pay like clockwork--by comparison to my other pubs who can be weeks or months late--and I get reasonably fast replies to emails. Days instead of weeks. My sales with them are far better than at most of my other publishers. They were very resposive to changing a cover I didn't like. This is my experience, I'm sure the experiences of other people vary, but I can't say I've heard the same horror stories about Loose-id that I've heard--or experienced--first hand with other publishers.

veinglory
02-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I would continue to recommend them highly.

JulesJones
02-02-2009, 03:03 AM
I too would continue to recommend them. Small press, but professionally run, with reasonable sales numbers by small press standards. My sales numbers vary, but I'd be pretty disappointed now if something novella or novel length didn't sell 500 copies in the first year, and my best result to date has been 1700 copies in the first 18 months or so. At 35% of cover, that's money worth having.

As ever, I would recommend that if you can sell your book to one of the big mainstream print publishers, you do so -- but there are niche markets where there isn't a big enough market to be worth New York's while, but the market's big enough to support a good small press.

ChrryBlssmGrrl
11-02-2009, 12:42 PM
I had some dealings with Loose Id recently and they were the coolest!

It took them 9 days from e-query to response which is much faster than the 6-8 weeks they warn you it usually takes. As they request I had sent them a partial of the first few chapters and a detailed synopsis.

Althought ultimately I got a thumbs down it was a very encouraging one - "It is clear that you have put a lot of thought into your plot and the background information that makes up the mythology within your manuscript. The different settings and the love triangle make for a vibrant and interesting story."

It also contained genuine, personalised feedback on my MS, suggesting revisions I could make, particularly to the ending and some passages of exposition that they felt were a bit lengthy. Although the obviously didn't go so far as to say 'if you make these changes we'll def publish your novel' they did say that these were changes 'we would like you to make' and that 'we hope you will alter the ending' in accordance with their suggestions, saying 'Just because we arenít interested in acquiring your manuscript right now doesnít mean we never will be, or that your work lacks merit'.

I'm seriously considering making some of these changes and doing some rewriting and then re-submitting. What are your thoughts? Has anyone sold anything to Loose ID recently? Or has anyone else made changes to a rejected MS and then successfully placed it with Loose ID? Just curious!!

jsouders
11-18-2009, 03:01 AM
Have to agree with Cherry. My dealings with this press has been just AWESOME. They sent me a two page letter that was very encouraging although it was ultimately a rejection, but it was personalized, also with revision suggestions and an invitation to submit other things that might be better suited to them. Hopefully, I can resubmit once I do the revisions. I'll have to ask.

Brindle Chase
11-20-2009, 10:57 PM
I just wanted to pipe in my 2 cents. I just signed my very first book contract with Loose Id. They have been absolutely wonderful so far. They've been quite patient with my 'newbie' questions and were open to negotiating/discussing/clarifying terms of the contract for me. They are very professional and also friendly, which makes a great mixture. I dont get that cold, form letter feel from any of their communications, yet nothing comes across as juvenile or amatuerish either. They are sussinct, quick and friendly!!

I also concur about their quick responses. Almost all of their replies have been same day. Turn time on submission to acceptance was a total of just under 3 weeks I think. It took less than 48 hours to reply that the submission had been received. Five more days, then I received a request for the full manuscript, then 12 days later I received the acceptance letter. So... 19 days from submission to acceptance. I think that's lightning quick!

JulesJones
01-23-2010, 02:27 PM
My year end summary of the pattern of my sales (http://www.erecsite.com/2010/01/number-crunching-jules.html) is up at EREC. This is just my personal experience, but might be of interest as all my in-print titles are with Loose Id. One further point not in the EREC post -- I've essentially had 18 months off from writing owing to interference by Real Life, and thus have had no releases in 2009 to help boost the interest in the backlist.

honoluluwriter
02-12-2010, 01:03 AM
does anyone who received a nice letter from them giving suggestion on changes have any new experience to share on whether they resubmitted and whether they were then accepted?

Dee Carney
02-12-2010, 05:18 AM
does anyone who received a nice letter from them giving suggestion on changes have any new experience to share on whether they resubmitted and whether they were then accepted?

I've collected five (yes, five) R&Rs from them. With the exception of one time, I'd always sold the book to someone else and never bothered to make any changes. The one book I didn't sell elsewhere had been written specifically for Loose Id (more on my blog (http://www.deecarney.com/2010/01/22/2010-goals-accomplished/)) and never sent anywhere else. I did the revisions they asked for (four months later--eep!) and received an acceptance a few weeks ago.

Long story short...do the revisions.

nkkingston
04-20-2010, 11:31 PM

Yup. Edited, resubmitted, and got an acceptance a couple of weeks ago (still so psyched!). Took me six months to get around to it, and they were still lovely about it.

It was a specific rewrite request (i.e. we'll almost certainly take this if you do the following...), not just general suggestions, though. Don't know if that makes a difference. One of the comments in the acceptance was that they were pleased I was willing to make changes, so they do appreciate the effort in an author.

Ann_Mayburn
12-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Glad for all of the information about this publisher! I know a couple authors that write for them and have backed up all the positive experiences listed here. Sent out a M/M/F sub to them on Sunday and received a prompt reply that it went to the editor I requested. Etc etc. Crossing my fingers and toes. :D

veinglory
12-11-2010, 12:31 AM

Yes and yes, for my first book with them (first of 12, and counting).

michael_b
12-11-2010, 02:33 AM
I've been with Loose Id since 2008, and not once have I gotten a late statement or payment. Considering the number of authors they have this is a very impressive accomplishment and--other than my own house--they are the ONLY publisher I've been with that's been consistently on time.

Stephanie Mojica
12-11-2010, 09:34 PM
I've worked with Loose ID on several editing/writing/reviewing projects since 2008 and always find them top-notch to deal with. I would recommend them without reservation.

Good luck!

Peace, love, and happiness,
Stephanie

scarletpeaches
12-11-2010, 09:40 PM
I received a R&R from them this summer and followed all but one of their suggestions. Actually it was more like an R&R, then another R&R on the same book with "You're nearly there and we really want to publish it but it needs some tweaking..." then an acceptance.

By the Book is out in January...and I've already spent the advance. :D

LoriToland
12-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Glad for all of the information about this publisher! I know a couple authors that write for them and have backed up all the positive experiences listed here. Sent out a M/M/F sub to them on Sunday and received a prompt reply that it went to the editor I requested. Etc etc. Crossing my fingers and toes. :D

Who did it go to? :)

Ann_Mayburn
12-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Just saw your question Lori, sorry about the delay! It went to Jana J. Hanson. I've heard nothing but great things about her from a few of her authors. I sent out the partial on the 5th, and received a request for the full from Ms. Hanson on the 14th. :)

--hope I just didn't bury her under submissions!--

LoriToland
01-04-2011, 07:15 AM
If I knew then, what I know now... Do the revisions. Anytime an editor takes time out of their day to give you feedback on what they want changed, it means they want the story if you are willing to do these changes. Plus it also shows you are willing to work with your editor and trust them to help you mold your story.

I too received a list of things to change from LI on my first story. I thanked the editor and moved on and published elsewhere. I always kept her in mind and when it came to my next novella, she was my first pick. And lo and behold, she picked it up and came back with a R/R. This time I resubmitted it back to her with the changes and now it's coming out in 2011. :)

KariGregg
01-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Mine was an acceptance, but with my agreement to deliver specific (and significant) revisions that I'd already discussed with my editor. I don't have the contract in front of me, but they also gave me loads of time. I knew I could do the work a lot faster, though, so I did.

Anyhoo, the editing is top-notch, the covers are stellar. My LI title won't release until later this month so I can't speak for promptness of payment & record-keeping yet.

If they ask for revisions, though, by all means, do the revisions. LI is 100% full of win. ;-)

LoriToland
01-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Oh awesome :) just curious.

Ann_Mayburn
01-26-2011, 07:09 PM
I sold my novella to Loose Id!
Ms. Hanson, my editor-happy dance-, has been fantastic with my newbie questions and very open to communication. Their new author packet is fantastic and I can really tell that they are an established e-pub by the quality and detail of their acceptance letter. It went into things they would like to polish in the story before I signed, giving me the oppertunity to know what would be worked on etc.

loves them :D

Soccer Mom
01-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Awesome news, Ann. They put out a quality product and the authors I know who are with them all rave about their editors.

scarletpeaches
01-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Oh, I dunno...they sign some shifty folks these days.

*shudder*

Ann_Mayburn
01-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Yeah, I heard they signed someone called Cardinal Township or some crazy name like that. Even put her on the front page. ;)

firedrake
01-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I heard they signed someone called Cardinal Township or some crazy name like that. Even put her on the front page. ;)

LMAO!!!!!!

I submitted to LI a couple of weeks ago. I received a request for the full 3 days later and now I'm just waiting nervously for the outcome,

*sits in corner, sucks thumb*

scarletpeaches
01-27-2011, 01:22 AM
LESS THUMBSUCKAGE MOAR FILTH-WRITING!

BarbaraSheridan
01-27-2011, 02:37 AM
It went into things they would like to polish in the story before I signed, giving me the opportunity to know what would be worked on etc. That's always been one of my very favorite things about LI. Letting you know upfront the vision they have for the book.

scarletpeaches
01-27-2011, 02:40 AM
When I got that letter, I thought, "Hell yeah! I'd sign away my firstborn to get a piece of this!"

n.b. I never want to have children, so it was an easy bargain to make. Treva Harte just asked for my mortal soul instead, signed away in blood.

n.b.2. I do not have a soul, either.

Nadia
01-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Congratulations, Ann.

Kara_Lyndon
01-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Their new author packet is fantastic and I can really tell that they are an established e-pub by the quality and detail of their acceptance letter. It went into things they would like to polish in the story before I signed, giving me the oppertunity to know what would be worked on etc.

Hey everyone! I've been looking around and learning more about the different publishers. LooseId is definitely near the top of my list, but I have to ask... What is a 'new author packet'?

Is that the contract they send? You said it told what they wanted polished. Is that how it normally works with a packet like that? It makes me kinda nervous if they're just sending out a demand that you rewrite right off the bat, but is that what usually happens?

What else did they include that made this 'new author packet' really great? What set it apart and made LooseId better? Were there goodies or something?

Sorry I'm blabbering so much and have so many questions. I'd just love to learn more, since LooseId is looking really appealing. :)

~*~*~Kara~*~*~

Ann_Mayburn
01-27-2011, 11:01 PM
What is a 'new author packet'?

I'm not at liberty to go into details, but its basically information about the company, how they work, and what is expected of you. All very clear, concise, and professional.

Is that the contract they send? You said it told what they wanted polished. Is that how it normally works with a packet like that? It makes me kinda nervous if they're just sending out a demand that you rewrite right off the bat, but is that what usually happens?

EVERY publishing company is going to require you to make edits with your editor. I can't think of any author I know that sold their story to a publishing house and had it published as is.-I'm sure there is an exception to this, but for the majority of us edits are a way of life- Part of your editor and publishers job is to help strengthen and refine your story, to polish it to the best possible level. They are staking their reputation on your work, and the reputation of their other writers. As such, editing is a part of life.
Loose Id simply told me up front what they would like worked on in the story in concrete terms. They did this so I would know what kind of revisions I could look forward to, and why. There are tons of posts on AW that go into editing. Would be highly benifical to you to read them.

What else did they include that made this 'new author packet' really great? What set it apart and made LooseId better? Were there goodies or something?

They gave me a 1972 blue Corvette. It's bitch'n.

KathleenD
01-28-2011, 12:58 AM
I suspect that anyone who said your every word was golden and edits were not required is more likely to be an author mill than a publisher. Or your mom.

jennontheisland
01-28-2011, 01:09 AM
It makes me kinda nervous if they're just sending out a demand that you rewrite right off the bat, but is that what usually happens?
Yes.

It's called editing.

brainstorm77
01-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Editing isn't a demand. It's part of the process and how it works with every publisher.

scarletpeaches
01-28-2011, 02:47 AM
What happened with me was - probably the same for all Loose Id authors - they sent me a letter asking me to clarify certain plot points and left it entirely up to me how I did so.

I was also told to think about their requests before signing the contract, so we'd only be working on a book both they and I were happy with.

For the record, before they offered, I emailed the editor I ended up working with to say "I can change this, yes, okay, gotcha, yup, not a problem, no." I refused to change one particular plot point, or saw no logical way I could do what they were asking.

Didn't stop them offering. Why? Were they just testing me out? No. I was able to tell Loose Id in detail why I was saying no. I wasn't being petulant; I was being logical, and they saw the merit in my thinking.

Unimportant
01-28-2011, 03:20 AM
ScarletPeaches, that is probably the best advertising ever that LooseId could have.

In contrast, my partner sent a novel ms to a publisher. They replied with "we're interested, but before we talk contract, we think the story would need XYZ changes." Most were minor; one was a fairly major change to the storyline. My partner considered the suggestions and replied with "Yeah, I'll be happy to do X and Y. Z, the major one, I don't think will work because what I'm aiming for with this story is Blah. I'd like to keep the focus on Blah. Changing Z will change the Blah. I'm happy to discuss -- maybe I could do this other thing to Z that might address your concern but would still keep Blah in context?"

And never heard anything back.

So she queried, and got no response, and queried, and got no response....rinse, lather, repeat. Finally after about two years she got hold of the head of the company, who said "Oh, the editor figured if you wouldn't make that Z change then you weren't interested." And that was it.

That publisher goes to the bottom of my list. LooseId just moved to the top.

scarletpeaches
01-28-2011, 07:57 PM
It's happened twice now, actually. I don't feel right going into too much detail because the book isn't finished let alone sold, but I sent my editor another manuscript. They knocked it back. Fine, shit happens. I sent another manuscript.

She got back to me with, "Hmm, we love A, B and C, but we need more X, Y and Z and would love to see the book again if you can resolve these issues."

The next day after some thought, I emailed my editor back with, "Okay, here's how I can fix X and Y but sorry, Z just doesn't make sense. It means giving one character a personality transplant and it means I have no conflict. So...yeah, I'll revise the other two plot points, though."

She replied words to the effect of, "That sounds really good, and yes, you're write on plot point Z."

I'll be emailing the manuscript back within a few days I hope, so wish me luck.

michael_b
01-29-2011, 01:09 AM
I've said it before, and I'll likely say it again, of all the publishers I've been with over the years Loose-Id is my favorite, hands down. They are very professional, polite and always answer any questions I have quickly.

I'm working on a batch of stories for them now, in fact.

Kara_Lyndon
01-30-2011, 02:22 AM
Loose Id simply told me up front what they would like worked on in the story in concrete terms. They did this so I would know what kind of revisions I could look forward to, and why.

Thanks for the clarification! I totally read too much into what you'd said before that. I was under the impression they were asking for a full rewrite, not just thorough edits. Looking back at your post again, I can see where I made a strange illogical leap. :) Editing is definitely expected, and that they were thorough and up front about what you could expect is really great. I didn't mean to sound like I was waiting for a publisher who would just publish me as is. XD I'm all for editing. I'll check out those editing threads as well, though. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Thanks for sharing, Unimportant and Scarletpeaches! That's a really great way for them to approach the editing. It sounds like LooseId really communicates professionally, and that's awesome.

~*~*~Kara~*~*~

andreea
06-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Have any of you worked with mrs Heather Hollis? What can you tell me about her?

Silver-Midnight
12-31-2011, 11:54 AM
It's happened twice now, actually. I don't feel right going into too much detail because the book isn't finished let alone sold, but I sent my editor another manuscript. They knocked it back. Fine, shit happens. I sent another manuscript.

She got back to me with, "Hmm, we love A, B and C, but we need more X, Y and Z and would love to see the book again if you can resolve these issues."

The next day after some thought, I emailed my editor back with, "Okay, here's how I can fix X and Y but sorry, Z just doesn't make sense. It means giving one character a personality transplant and it means I have no conflict. So...yeah, I'll revise the other two plot points, though."

She replied words to the effect of, "That sounds really good, and yes, you're write on plot point Z."

I'll be emailing the manuscript back within a few days I hope, so wish me luck.

I know it's been months, but I hope it went well. They look like a really good publisher.

LoriToland
01-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Just an update from me. I've sold three books to LI. They've been amazing with their editing process. They've spent so much time with my books, I almost feel guilty. My editors are as proud of my books as I am.

So yeah... lots of love for LI.

Silver-Midnight
01-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Just an update from me. I've sold three books to LI. They've been amazing with their editing process. They've spent so much time with my books, I almost feel guilty. My editors are as proud of my books as I am.

So yeah... lots of love for LI.

Congrats and that's great.

AmberS
01-13-2012, 02:41 AM
A quick question. I have a single title erotic romance that is, it turns out, too erotica for NY. I'm looking at the digital pubs now, but, ideally, I would like it to be available in print and digital. Their website says this:

20,000-120,000 words. Flings of less than 20,000 words and shorter stories are by invitation only to authors currently publishing with us. Stories of 55,000 - 70,000 words will receive an advance and be automatically considered for print.

Well, at single-title lengh, I'm closer to a 100k, not 70k...why would that not be considered for print (whereas a 70k would be)? I'm guessing I can still bring it up if they want to contract it... but it struck me as odd.

veinglory
01-13-2012, 02:45 AM
It is probably the price range they want to offer/profit margin they want to get. But honestly I very rarely see paperback LI books in store and though I may have been considered... not been offered the option. If it is a deal breaker for you I would suggest putting it in the query.

LoriToland
01-13-2012, 05:46 AM
Because over 70K cost more to print. The more pages in the book, the more it costs. 55K-70K is the sweet spot.

Send it in. eBooks are where I make my money, not in print books. If it's too erotic for NY, it sounds like a title I would be buy. NY has become too boring for my taste.

Becky Black
01-13-2012, 01:36 PM
From what I understand, the longer a book the more it costs to print, but the price can't go up in direct proportion to those costs to maintain the profit margin, because buyers won't pay it. That's an issue right across the publishing industry. If a book is significantly longer than is standard in the genre it's usually going to have a hard time.

My first, which came out in ebook in January last year and is about 65k long, has just came out in print with Loose Id, but that's through Print on Demand rather than on shelves in stores. I think I have in the past seen pictures of Loose Id books on shelves, but in specialised bookstores, say ones selling just LGBT themed books for example.

priceless1
01-13-2012, 08:48 PM
From what I understand, the longer a book the more it costs to print, but the price can't go up in direct proportion to those costs to maintain the profit margin, because buyers won't pay it. That's an issue right across the publishing industry. If a book is significantly longer than is standard in the genre it's usually going to have a hard time.

Becky, it depends on the size of the print run. If you're doing a 10-20k, the cost per book - regardless of size - are minimal (roughly .50-.80 per book). If the publisher is doing a small run of, say, 1,000, then those costs are considerably higher.

The reason publishers aren't taking the really big word count books isn't so much the production costs (and higher retail prices), but that most readers want shorter books, so it makes financial sense to give the marketplace what they want and, therefore, increase our profit margins.

Becky Black
01-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Thanks for that info, Priceless.

veinglory
01-14-2012, 12:26 AM
Also as we are most likely talking lightning source here, the base costs will be higher.

AmberS
01-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. Got a full request from them, so we'll see. *waits*

Filigree
01-31-2012, 03:34 AM
Well, I subbed to them today. Took a lot of waffling before I hit 'send' on the email, because I wanted to make certain my partial was as perfect as it could be.

Becky Black
01-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Good luck, Filigree. I remember my very first submission. I think I had the email open for about half an hour just working up the nerve to hit send. (That's not including the time writing the email. And spell checking it. And tweaking it. And spell checking it again. And rereading it twenty times. :D)

Loose Id generally turn submissions around quickly unless you catch them in the middle of conference season like I did with my second, so staff were away for several weekends in a row. Good grief, I had no fingernails left after that! Even then, they're very fast compared to industry average. They took me by surprise with my first one in fact. Sent out my sub and settled down to a new draft expecting to wait for months, as all the advice said. Less than a month later I think it was, I had a contract!

Loose Id have been good to work with. I've sold three to them now. The third they initially rejected, but with an invitation to revise and resubmit and feedback on the changes they'd like to see to it. Those changes made sense to me, so I went for it, resubmitted and they bought it. It would have been easy to be lazy and just submit it elsewhere, but I felt it was worth those few extra weeks of work to do that revision, since I trusted my editor's judgment to know what she was talking about.

Silver-Midnight
02-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Good luck Filigree.

Filigree
02-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Well, they asked for a full, so that's something.

Silver-Midnight
02-18-2012, 06:41 AM
That's great!

Filigree
03-21-2012, 07:55 AM
I got an offer from them! Thinking it over for a little while, but it's a solid offer.

Silver-Midnight
03-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Congrats! That's awesome!

Becky Black
03-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Great news, Filigree! Congratulations.

Eriador117
03-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Congrats. Filigree :)

Ann_Mayburn
03-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Woot! Way to go, filigree :D

michael_b
03-21-2012, 04:40 PM
I got an offer from them! Thinking it over for a little while, but it's a solid offer.

They have good sales, pay on time like clockwork every month and the contract is one of the best out there. I've been with Loose Id since 2008 and have never received a late payment.

ViolettaVane
03-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Congrats, Filigree! We're with them too for our <i>Hawaiian Gothic</i> novel :D

LadyLex
03-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Congrats Filigree!

Filigree
03-23-2012, 08:58 PM
I'll post more when we have news, folks. Thanks for the encouragement!

smlgr8
05-14-2012, 06:55 PM
If anyone is wondering about current acceptance times, just a smidge over two weeks on the full to offer for an MM contemporary. Offer letter came with changes they'd want to see, just as others have said.

This sub is also out with a couple of other publishers, but I am leaning toward accepting the offer.

michael_b
05-14-2012, 10:08 PM
If anyone is wondering about current acceptance times, just a smidge over two weeks on the full to offer for an MM contemporary. Offer letter came with changes they'd want to see, just as others have said.

This sub is also out with a couple of other publishers, but I am leaning toward accepting the offer.

I've had books with them since 2008 and not once in that entire time have I received a late payment.

veinglory
05-15-2012, 12:36 AM
My latest acceptance (yay!) was after 81 days, which is hard on my fingernails.

Silver-Midnight
05-15-2012, 01:02 AM
My latest acceptance (yay!) was after 81 days, which is hard on my fingernails.

Congrats, veinglory. Happy sales!!

Filigree
05-15-2012, 03:22 AM
Congrats, Veinglory!

My contracts arrived to them on May 9, and I was welcomed into the Yahoo groups a day or so ago. Looks like we're swinging into edits soon. Am I a sick puppy to be looking forward to that?

ViolettaVane
05-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Congrats, fellow... umm, what do you call it... press-mate?

Yay!

LoriToland
05-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Congrats to Veinglory and Filigree! And welcome to an awesome press, Filigree. :)

VanessaNorth
05-15-2012, 08:04 PM
They sent me the NICEST rejection letter ever. I would definitely sub to them again.

Becky Black
05-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Welcome Filigree!

I'm working on revising one for them at the moment, after getting an R&R rejection. I had that before and that was accepted after the revision. I trust my editor to know what she's talking about, so decided to go with revising instead of just submitting elsewhere. The things she said in the R&R mail resonated with me either straight away or after I thought about them for a couple of days, so once I saw how the story could be better there was no way I could just sub elsewhere as is. This one needs a lot more work than the other R&R I did, which mostly just needed the start expanding, but I'm determined to get it right now!

Filigree
05-17-2012, 04:13 AM
I'm in the middle of my edits now. And actually having fun, because now I can fix some of the rougher parts. It's great to have an editor who doesn't think I'm an odd duck for liking revisions.

smlgr8
05-17-2012, 11:40 PM
I officially accepted their offer of a couple of days ago. They've been very enthusiastic about my novella so I've been happy with the process so far.

Silver-Midnight
05-18-2012, 12:07 AM
I officially accepted their offer of a couple of days ago. They've been very enthusiastic about my novella so I've been happy with the process so far.
Congrats! I wish you many sales.

smlgr8
05-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Thank you :)

acelticdream
05-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Even though I hadn't even finished the first draft of my novella, I've been hunting around and making a list of publishers to sub to when the time comes. Loose Id will go to the top of my list.

One of things that most impressed me what the quality of their covers. There were some that seemed amateurish, but much more were very well done.

Filigree
05-18-2012, 04:35 AM
They have some really good cover artists.

To be honest, I wish the 'manga' style cover art was a little better done. As it stands, it tends to put me off a little bit. I see far more swoon-worthy manga and other digital artists on DeviantArt.

michael_b
05-18-2012, 06:54 AM
They have some really good cover artists.

To be honest, I wish the 'manga' style cover art was a little better done. As it stands, it tends to put me off a little bit. I see far more swoon-worthy manga and other digital artists on DeviantArt.

This may be true, but a lot of those artists either don't take commissions or prove to be totally unreliable. Believe me, I know from experience.

I think most of their manga style covers are done by either Ann Caine and PL Nunn who both started out doing fan art for various anime.

Frankly some of my personal favorite LI covers were done by Ann, and I have one--at Liquid Silver--done by PL Nunn.

You may not like their style, but their art does sell to readers and that's what it's all about from a publisher's stand point.

acelticdream
05-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Not to nic-pic, as I have seen this at other publishers' websites also that provide excerpts ... but I read about 10 excerpts at the Loose-Id website tonight and 3 of them had typos.

One carried the same typo 3 times (the word brunette was typed brunet) and "breasts" was typed bresths in another one.

Not sure if the excerpts are copy/pasted from the final MS. If so, then those errors are in the final books themselves.

Still, based on author feedback here and the overall impression of the publisher's website (presentation, submission policy, etc) ... I am still highly considering them for when I'm ready to sub.

Filigree
05-18-2012, 07:26 AM
I've read some uneven copy in the samples, as well, but the actual novels that I've seen all seem to be cleanly edited.

I like Ann Cain's work over Nunn's, but whatever cover they choose, I'm sure it will be lovely. And I have original art ready to go on my eventual website, with the proviso that it's just author's personal sketches and not 'official' art. I wouldn't do other people's cover art, but I know I can do mine - I'd planned on it, when considering self-publishing. There's a benefit to 18 years in commercial art.

Prolix
05-18-2012, 10:59 AM
One carried the same typo 3 times (the word brunette was typed brunet) and "breasts" was typed bresths in another one.

Just piping up to say that brunet isn't technically a typo if it has been used for a male character, it's just the masculine form of brunette. I don't think it's common, but I've been corrected to the masculine form in the past.

Re: the manga covers, from my own reader's perspective, are useful because in my mind they indicate content similar or close to yaoi tropes/stereotypes. I don't know how true this is for the works at Loose Id with those covers, but books with those covers are ones I'd make a beeline for purchasing if I was looking for those kinds of stories specifically.

acelticdream
05-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Just piping up to say that brunet isn't technically a typo if it has been used for a male character, it's just the masculine form of brunette. I don't think it's common, but I've been corrected to the masculine form in the past.

There's a masculine form of the word brunette in the English language? Oh! geez, ok, egg on my face. So sorry. I honestly did not know.

Three hours into the new day and already learned something new! =)

nkkingston
05-18-2012, 01:37 PM
There's a masculine form of the word brunette in the English language? Oh! geez, ok, egg on my face. So sorry. I honestly did not know.

Three hours into the new day and already learned something new! =)

It's like Blond/e. I have no idea why we kept the gendered adjective for hair colour and pretty much nothing else, but that's English!

acelticdream
05-18-2012, 07:25 PM
There's a gender difference for "blonde" also? *facepalm*
There better not be one for "chestnut" or "black" ... or else I'm gonna scream. hehehe

michael_b
05-18-2012, 09:45 PM

Did you use their contact form and let them know about the typos? Brunette/brunet having already been discussed as a non-issue, the bresths does need to be fixed. I'd let them know, but I have no idea where you found that typo. LI is very good about getting things on the site corrected quickly, unlike some publishers I could mention.

scarletpeaches
06-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Breaking my AW silence to post a warning, particularly for overseas writers.

For a while now, my cheques from Loose Id have been arriving later and later, if at all. I'd say for the past year I've had to email Jo in the finance department every month to say "My royalties are late; where are they?" (More politely than that, of course.)

At first I would get "The cheque's in the mail," as a reply and it would arrive a couple of days later. Then it would take a week to arrive. Then a couple of weeks.

At one point Jo admitted to me (at the end of last year) she had simply 'forgotten' to put my cheque in the post. The missing money was added on to a later cheque, but I had to get in touch with her on a number of occasions to say "I still haven't received it."

Anyway, I got tired of hearing the same old excuses and I realised it wasn't a once-or-twice thing. Each month brought a longer wait to receive my royalties.

So a few months back I emailed Doreen, the Chief Financial Officer. She apologised for the delay in payment and assured me they would do everything they could to fix it. She also pointed out that sending paper cheques to overseas people involved more staff members, three of whom only worked part-time. (How their staffing is my problem, I don't know, especially as all of my other publishers manage to pay me on time, and that includes one in the US and another in Canada.)

At no point has anyone explained to me how come I used to receive my cheques by the fifth of the month following the statement, whereas now they arrive weeks late, if at all. In fact, I was told by Jo that the "You will receive your cheque by the fifth of next month," printed on each email statement is automatic, and does not apply to overseas writers.

Which puzzles me, because isn't it just overseas writers who are paid in paper cheques? Anyway, nothing changed. I emailed the owner, Treva Harte about the absence of royalties.

I received no reply.

I then emailed Doreen, who alleged that Loose Id is one of the most prompt-paying publishers out there, and it wasn't true that I'm not being paid.

I'd love to know where my cheques are, then.

As for prompt? Musa pay on the 15th of every month. Carnal Passions pay on the 15th of every third month. Total-e-Bound pays on the first of every month. Loose Id? The last royalties I received were for March, and it's now June.

I've had to nag Jo in the finance department for payment nearly every month and when I go to Doreen or Treva, I get no explanation of where my money is. In fact, I recently received an email (from Doreen) saying that once the cheques were out of Loose Id's hands, they had no control over what the postal service did with them.

If it's Royal Mail's fault, I'm confused as to why certain cheques are date-stamped in the U.S. at later and later dates each month, proving they are sent out later and later each month. They only ever take a week, no longer, to get here in Scotland, once they're posted out to me.

I received email statements for April and May, and have not been paid yet for either of them.

My frustration at not getting any answers has, no doubt, affected the tone of this post, but I think that's understandable, given that I got no reply to my email to the owner, and I last received royalties for March. In short, I can no longer recommend Loose Id as a publisher, especially for overseas writers. Neither do I have plans to ever sub there again.

Edited to add: If anyone wishes to speak to me about this privately, please feel free to email me at scarlettparrish AT gmail DOT com

LoriToland
06-04-2012, 03:40 AM
I just want to jump in and say I have received my checks regularly once I earned out my advance for my latest book (which was right away).

I can firmly tell you sending money to England is a pain in the ass. I send money there for my MIL and hubby and I tear our hair out doing so. :(

Sorry to hear this is happening to you Scarlett. For me, I highly recommend Loose Id.

Maybe Becky Black can chime in here too, since she is in England and publishes with LI.

scarletpeaches
06-04-2012, 03:56 AM
Got the 'new post in this thread' email while I was getting ready for bed, so this will have to be a quick one:

I'm in Scotland, not England.

Even so, it's not a problem sending money -- Loose Id managed it well enough before this late-payment foolishness started up. They just have to sign the paper cheque, and put it in the post. It doesn't exactly build my confidence in a publisher when they admit to simply forgetting to do so. (I have saved the email in which this statement was made.)

They don't even have to convert it into pounds. My bank does that when I pay the cheque in, taking a fee for their trouble.

Thirdly, I received word this evening that I'm not the only author this is happening to. I can't mention any names given that they contacted me privately and I assume that means they wish to remain anonymous. Suffice it to say late payment is also beginning to affect US-based authors too. I can only hope they choose to speak up; the more people who do so, the better our chances of pressuring Loose Id into paying up, and promptly.

Satori1977
06-04-2012, 04:31 AM
I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for being two months late. Especially when other pubs seem to have no issue with prompt payments. Publishing is a business. The writer does their part, and signs a contract. They have every right to expect to be paid in a timely fashion. If it is too difficult for them to mail checks overseas, then they could always switch to PayPal. It can't get much simpler than electronically transferring the money. Probably why so many epubs use it.

Filigree
06-04-2012, 07:17 AM
I have heard this from other overseas writers, as well. I'm in the States, so I hope it won't be an issue with me. Since my mms to Loose ID was written, queried, submitted, and sold in the spirit of a loss-leader for other projects, it will be an interesting experiment to follow. Plus, my checks will be routed through an extremely sharp agent who is not afraid to bark at trouble.

Becky Black
06-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi, I have noticed the cheque does seem to have come several days later than it used to, the last few months. My post around here is pretty rubbish, so really, I'd been blaming Royal Mail. I haven't had any not arrive at all, and I'm not relying on that money to pay the bills or anything, but yes, I have definitely noticed a change.

ETA: Checking my records, it was October last year I noticed this.

michael_b
06-04-2012, 12:14 PM
I can't address the failure of checks to be mailed by Loose Id, but I can state that the mail delivery here in the states is slowing down. Our postal system is in trouble due to the political climate here with some people in our government actually trying to do away with the postal service as it exists now in favor of privatizing the system--meaning corporations would take over the delivery of all mail and the US gov. would bow out. In the meantime, things have gotten really slow. Some of this slowdown is being blamed on the ever rising cost of fuel--fewer trucks are moving the mail and therefore it's taking longer for things to go from point A to point B.

As an example, used to take a couple of days for checks I sent to my Canadian author to arrive, now it can take upwards of 7-12 days from the day it's mailed.

scarletpeaches
06-04-2012, 04:06 PM
A slow postal service does not explain why emails go unanswered and at other times I'm told it's untrue that I'm "not being paid". Nor does it excuse people simply forgetting to mail out cheques in the first place.

If my cheques were only 7-12 days late I'd be laughing. They are months late -- that's if they're even sent out at all.

The last lot of royalties I received were for March. It is now June.

This has been going on for over a year.

Filigree
06-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I'd say you have cause to complain.

LoriToland
06-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Scarlet,

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. Hopefully it will all sort out.

scarletpeaches
06-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks, Lori.

I'm just so bloody frustrated at not getting any answers and I don't know what to do to resolve the problem.

Aside from contacting Writer Beware and seek advice from a US-based lawyer friend, that is.

How hard is it to pay your authors after all? Hell, how difficult is it to reply to an email?

Well, fingers crossed it's dealt with soon. Suffice it to say I'd rather write for publishers who leave me alone to write, instead of those who require financial babysitting.

Bufty
06-04-2012, 07:50 PM
I clicked here because I was delighted to see a post from you after several months and - like others, I'm sure - had been worried about you and wondering if you were okay.

But to read what's happening here is dreadful and I feel your frustration at being treated this way.

I do hope things get sorted out soon, Scarletpeaches.

Thanks, Lori.

I'm just so bloody frustrated at not getting any answers and I don't know what to do to resolve the problem.

Aside from contacting Writer Beware and seek advice from a US-based lawyer friend, that is.

How hard is it to pay your authors after all? Hell, how difficult is it to reply to an email?

Well, fingers crossed it's dealt with soon. Suffice it to say I'd rather write for publishers who leave me alone to write, instead of those who require financial babysitting.

scarletpeaches
06-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks, Bufteroony.

If you check your reps, you'll see what's been going on these past few months.

Aside from that and back to Loose Id, I discussed this with a well-known M/M author who's also published with Loose Id (and many other publishers) and this person said they've heard of other writers having difficulties too. Of course, at this stage, that's hearsay. Anyway, I said we're talking about small amounts of money and their reply was, "That's not the point. It's your money and you deserve to be paid.

Quite.

It's clear I'm frustrated but I must add, anything I've said in my past few posts, I can back up with archived emails.

I just want this done, dealt with, over. I want my royalties and I'm a ball-hair away from the 'I want a rights reversion' stage too.
I clicked here because I was delighted to see a post from you after several months and - like others, I'm sure - had been worried about you and wondering if you were okay.

But to read what's happening here is dreadful and I feel your frustration at being treated this way.

I do hope things get sorted out soon, Scarletpeaches.

michael_b
06-05-2012, 01:31 AM
A slow postal service does not explain why emails go unanswered and at other times I'm told it's untrue that I'm "not being paid". Nor does it excuse people simply forgetting to mail out cheques in the first place.

If my cheques were only 7-12 days late I'd be laughing. They are months late -- that's if they're even sent out at all.

The last lot of royalties I received were for March. It is now June.

This has been going on for over a year.

Which is why is said I can't address that failure over at Loose Id.

I do know they've taken on a large number of authors in the last couple of years with new authors being announced on the author loop all the time.

For the record, I no longer have books with Loose Id, my last two contracts just ended today.

Captcha
06-05-2012, 01:37 AM
I have one book with Loose Id, and I haven't noticed late royalty cheques, but I did have a LOT of other bureaucratic/organizational/communication issues with them. And a similar "blame the author first, investigate the situation later" attitude.

It's weird, though, because they have a really solid reputation. I have no plans to submit there again (the book with them is my lowest selling novel by FAR, so there isn't even financial temptation to override the annoyance factor), but until SP's post I thought my experience was some sort of an anomaly, and kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to criticize them unfairly. But if this is happening to SP (any maybe other authors, based on the post above), and I had my own frustrations with them, maybe it's time for the concerns to be raised. Yikes.

scarletpeaches
06-05-2012, 01:57 AM
...I no longer have books with Loose Id...I envy you.

If I knew then what I knew now? I wouldn't have subbed to Loose Id.

The editing process suits me down to the ground; it's stringent and thorough. I adore my editor. I'm pleased as punch with my cover art.

But the bottom line is, despite what Doreen says, I'm not being paid.

And Captcha, I don't want to sound all "The lurkers support me by email!" However; I'm not at liberty to name names. Suffice it to say I'm not the only author who's having difficulties there. I'll say no more than that because it's up to them to come forward if they choose to do so.

For the record, I last emailed Jo to ask where my royalties are on Saturday afternoon. No reply as yet.

Silver-Midnight
06-05-2012, 03:22 AM
While I don't have books with them(or anyone else for that matter), this is all very surprising to hear. Loose-Id was considered a top-dog in ePublishing, and to be honest, this is the first time I've heard any complaints about them.

If I should sub to them, I wouldn't know how this would affect me. (I live in the U.S.). However, this is still food for thought.

veinglory
06-05-2012, 03:28 AM
I don't know of anyone within the US having these problems, but it is hard to know what other authors are experiencing in a press with a large stable.

scarletpeaches
06-05-2012, 09:25 AM
I haven't found it hard at all, because I've asked them.

Okay, reply from Jo. She said "If you recall, we put you on the quarterly payment schedule to avoid bank charges."

If that's the case, fair enough. However, I don't recall agreeing to this. I've searched through my saved emails and the only mention of quarterly payments I can see is from the end of last year regarding the missing cheque, the one Jo forgot to send. She said she'd not dealt with it because she'd been planning on issuing them quarterly.

(Again, I don't recall agreeing to this.)

Since then, I've received cheques monthly-ish, and late, so the thought of "I'm now being paid quarterly," never crossed my mind. Whenever I have been paid, the cheques have been for month-sized amounts, matching my monthly statements, not for amounts of money covering a year's quarter.

It's just after 6am here and I haven't slept too well, so this will require a more thorough search through old emails to see if/when I agreed to quarterly payments...if I did, which I don't think I did. Neither do I recall receiving an official "By the way, we're now paying you every three months," email.

That's not to mention the simple fact March's month-late payment covered one month alone, not Jan-Mar.

Filigree
06-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Interesting! Why do it to 'avoid bank charges' when the currency exchange is being handled on your end by your bank? How much more are the other charges?

I will be watching this develop.

Oh, and nice to see your phosphors again, Scarlet!

scarletpeaches
06-05-2012, 02:34 PM
My bank takes £5 for every cheque converted from $US to pounds sterling. If it works out at more than £100, they take £7. I don't like it, but I live with it because at least my bank is less of a thieving scumbag than other scumbaggy banks. And I'm always left with enough to pay a couple of household bills each month anyway, so it doesn't matter too much.

I've kept every Loose Id email exchanged since I first subbed there over two years ago, and have no record of me asking to be put on quarterly payments, nor of them suggesting I should be on it, or even of Loose Id warning me they were going to do it anyway.

I feel like they're gaslighting me at this point. "Don't you remember? We agreed you'd be put on quarterly payments. We agreed on it. That time. You don't remember? Well we honestly did."

My household bills come in monthly; why on Earth would I want to be paid every third month? And to be honest, I just don't trust Loose Id any more. I don't fancy waiting three months to find out if they remembered to send out a cheque at all.

This isn't about whether I'm paid monthly or quarterly; it's about consistent late payments, excuses, some emails going ignored and me wishing I'd never subbed there in the first place.

Another of my publishers, Carnal Passions, pays quarterly but I don't mind that because a) it's been that way from the start and b) THEY PAY ON TIME.

My LI contract says I should be paid monthly anyway, so yeah, like I said...they're gaslighting me.

Sheryl Nantus
06-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Just my two cents - regardless of if you agreed or not (and there should be ample email documentation if you did this, including group notification, blah blah blah) the lack of communication is by itself annoying, to say the least.

Not impressed.

scarletpeaches
06-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Just my two cents - regardless of if you agreed or not (and there should be ample email documentation if you did this, including group notification, blah blah blah) the lack of communication is by itself annoying, to say the least.

Not impressed.That's exactly it. I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall to get answers out of them.

Still drafting my next email regarding the matter of being paid quarterly. First, I'm going to check author loops in case it was mentioned there.

I opted out of receiving any email updates for the Loose Id author group months ago because it was just "Vote for me in this blog contest," and "Vote for my cover art in that contest."

Sorry; I don't vote for anyone just because we share a publisher. I vote for books I've read and enjoyed. But anyway, that's another matter entirely.

ETA: Nope, nothing on any author loop that I can see. Nothing in my past emails, either. If they had asked if I wanted to be paid quarterly, I would have considered it, but...and I hesitate to say it...to me, this just sounds like an excuse to get out of explaining why my cheques have been late or non-existent for months now. If they claim they're paying me each quarter, I have to wait three months between nagging, "Where's my money?" emails.

Satori1977
06-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Since you checked your emails and don't remember to agreeing to quarterly payments, and since your contract still says monthly (if the payment agreement changed, wouldn't a new contract have to be made up?), have you asked them for proof of this conversation. I mean, this is a business, right. If it isn't in writing, it didn't happen.

scarletpeaches
06-05-2012, 05:03 PM
With any luck this will constitute breach of contract, although they'll try to wriggle out of it somehow. My contract says monthly payments, so... :Shrug:

Interesting that Doreen said not a word about quarterly payments in my exchanges with her. We both spoke as if monthly payments were the norm. Neither of us mentioned my being paid every three months.

Oh, wait. That'll be because I didn't agree to it.

mccardey
06-05-2012, 05:14 PM
I have a question - why cheques? Why not netbanking? My cheques just go straight from my agent into my account with remittance advices sent at the same time. Simpler and more secure, I'd have thought, plus much less work for the sender.

Just wondering. And yes, I'd be very unhappy if they came late - and not too interested in excuses.

scarletpeaches
06-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Cheques because I'm overseas and Loose Id don't use PayPal for either buying books from their site, or paying their authors.

Side question: I understand Samhain no longer pay their authors by PayPal; is this true?

Anyway...I don't mind being paid by cheque. It's the lateness that bothers me. I'm British; I'm a stickler for timekeeping.

If I owed them money, you can be sure they wouldn't accept my allegation of "We agreed I'd pay quarterly."

mccardey
06-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Cheques because I'm overseas and Loose Id don't use PayPal for either buying books from their site, or paying their authors.

Side question: I understand Samhain no longer pay their authors by PayPal; is this true?

Anyway...I don't mind being paid by cheque. It's the lateness that bothers me. I'm British; I'm a stickler for timekeeping.

If I owed them money, you can be sure they wouldn't accept my allegation of "We agreed I'd pay quarterly."

No but they don't need to use paypal - don't most banks have a Net-banking option? They do in Australia and it works perfectly well overseas. Doesn't cost anything beyond the usual charges, and it's instant. Well - next working day, anyway.

scarletpeaches
06-05-2012, 05:31 PM
I know they don't need to use PayPal, but other publishers do -- and besides, if they don't pay me in cheques, while denying that I'm not being paid, they're hardly likely to alter their entire payments system just to satisfy little old me.

Hell, as I've said before, it's not the payment method that bothers me. It's the complete bloody absence of payment at all.

mccardey
06-05-2012, 05:36 PM
I know they don't need to use PayPal, but other publishers do -- and besides, if they don't pay me in cheques, while denying that I'm not being paid, they're hardly likely to alter their entire payments system just to satisfy little old me.

Hell, as I've said before, it's not the payment method that bothers me. It's the complete bloody absence of payment at all.

Ok - I was just putting it out there for other people who might be in a position to make a choice. I'm not getting at you. I can see it's frustrating. And it's not your fault.

scarletpeaches
06-05-2012, 05:41 PM
I never thought you were.

But my point is, if Loose Id won't even reply to certain emails, nor give a proper explanation of where my money is, I can't see them agreeing to pay me by another method. Not that they're paying me now, but...

I occasionally get bank transfers from Australia and there are charges of £12 each time, so if it was the same for US to UK bank transfers, it wouldn't be worth my while.

PayPal would suit me down to the ground but Loose Id have had something against it since long before this "PayPal means you're a pervert who's peddling smut," shemozzle which affected quite a few authors on Amazon. (Not that I cared; I'm not self-published and never will be.)

Sheryl Nantus
06-05-2012, 06:05 PM

I can confirm this since I am a Samhain author. I used to use Paypal and now I have direct deposit.

:)

mccardey
06-05-2012, 06:10 PM
I can confirm this since I am a Samhain author. I used to use Paypal and now I have direct deposit.

:)

Direct deposit is what we call net-banking.

scarletpeaches
06-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Not sure that would work for overseas authors; there are charges, as I've said before. It's not like I've even subbed to Samhain in years anyway, nor do I have any plans to soon. I was just curious about how other big-name publishers pay UK authors.

So, as things stand at the moment: The last payment I received was for March, and it's now June. Doreen denies I'm not being paid. Jo says it was agreed that I should go on a quarterly payment schedule even though all statements I've received have been monthly, and cheques received (late, if at all) have corresponded to these monthly amounts, not three added together to make a quarterly cheque. I have nothing in writing asking if I want to go quarterly, or even giving me a heads-up that it's now Loose Id policy. An email to the owner went unanswered; an email to the Chief Financial Officer did nothing but garner me the assurance that Loose Id is one of the most prompt payers out there -- ha!

Any suggestions?

veinglory
06-05-2012, 06:34 PM

True. Overseas authors only have the check option. I think the reason had to do with how taxes are calculated but someone else would have to explain the details.

BarbaraSheridan
06-05-2012, 07:53 PM
I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has regained the rights to a book and had issue with 3rd party sales straggling in via LI 12 months or more after the the contract ended.

jennontheisland
06-05-2012, 09:31 PM
True. Overseas authors only have the check option. I think the reason had to do with how taxes are calculated but someone else would have to explain the details.
Another possible reason: in the case of a funds transfer, the entity setting up the transfer pays the fees. With a cheque, the person doing the depositing pays the fees. Fund transfer fees tend to be significantly higher than deposit fees. One Canadian bank I've dealt with charges over $30 for each transfer from a business account.

michael_b
06-05-2012, 09:52 PM
I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has regained the rights to a book and had issue with 3rd party sales straggling in via LI 12 months or more after the the contract ended.

Payment wise, I haven't had this happen... yet. I have had had an out of contract LI book pop up for sale at All Romance eBooks but I suspect this wasn't LI's doing. I think it happens when ARe resets something or does a restore from backup for some reason. (I know I've had to remove Shadowfire Press titles multiple times for whatever reason is going on there.)

I'll be curious to see if my final payments for 3rd party sales as well as site sales are delayed now that I'm no longer actively with LI.

scarletpeaches
06-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Hello, Ms Ontheisland. Long time no see. :D
Another possible reason: in the case of a funds transfer, the entity setting up the transfer pays the fees. With a cheque, the person doing the depositing pays the fees. Fund transfer fees tend to be significantly higher than deposit fees. One Canadian bank I've dealt with charges over $30 for each transfer from a business account.I lean towards this being the reason. Whenever I've had a bank transfer from Australia, some of the money goes AWOL before landing in my account. If a relative chooses to deposit £200 (purely as an example), I actually receive £188, although the full £200 comes out of my relative's account.

I'm more than uncomfortable with Loose Id claiming I'm now on a quarterly payment system; didn't discuss it, agree to it, etc etc. So their "It'll save on bank charges!" might appear altruistic on the surface, but if they cared about the health of my bank account so much, they'd PAY ME WHAT THEY OWE.

*deep breath*

JulesJones
06-06-2012, 05:21 PM
I can't comment from direct experience on the cheque thing, because although I'm now living in the UK I still have an active US bank account and I get paid by direct deposit into that. However, I do know that several other UK-based authors asked for quarterly payments to be set up for them, because of the large fees banks charge to deposit a foreign currency cheque.

It's conceivable that someone in Loose Id has assumed, without checking, that a UK-based author will be on the quarterly payments list. This does not excuse the late monthly payments but may explain why quarterly payments are being mentioned. (And may possibly explain the late monthly cheques - "Oops, that person should have got a monthly cheque, I'll just post it now, nobody will notice.") If so, a terse note cced to Jo/Doreen/Treva asking them to provide the documentation showing your alleged request for quarterly payment might get someone's attention.

(As far as direct deposit is concerned, my royalty payments this year seem to be running a few days later than they were 2 years ago, but it's 5 or 6 days, not the sort of delay scarletpeaches is describing.)

The Paypal thing is indeed because of Paypal's "You're a filthy pornographer and we're going to seize your assets." The latest round of that is merely the latest round of it -- Paypal's being pulling that stunt for a long, long time, and there'd been a bout of it just before Loose Id opened for business. IIRC Ellora's Cave got burnt by that one, but it was a long time ago and I can't remember the details accurately.

scarletpeaches
06-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Well I emailed Loose Id to tell them I'd never been asked if I wanted to be paid quarterly; no-one had even so much as given me a heads-up regarding the matter.

Can we have a show of hands as to who thinks they've sent anything resembling a reply?

nkkingston
06-18-2012, 02:01 PM
I switched to quarterly a while back because of bank costs (though I then found auctionchex, which made life so much easier!) but it took me a couple of emails to get it through to them.

black13
06-25-2012, 02:58 AM
I'm another LI author who asked to go quarterly, for the same reason, bank charges. £20 is a lot better than £60! The banks are the baddies here, charging a fee for every cheque deposited.
LI has never failed to pay me every month, which is why I made the request. They are one of my favorite publishers, with great editing and cover art.
Watch auctionchex, their exchange rates are miserable. Check their rates with the standard rates given on a site like xe.com.

Filigree
06-25-2012, 03:08 AM
Wow, you folks are making me glad I'm in the U.S. With my situation, any royalties I earn will be delayed an extra month anyway. But I'm looking forward to seeing how this publishing experiment goes.

Becky Black
06-26-2012, 01:51 PM
I haven't asked to go quarterly, but I'm known to hang onto a smaller cheque for a month or so and pay a couple in together. My bank (Lloyds TSB) only charges one fee for the whole transaction, not per cheque, so there's no penalty to doing it that way.

Jamiekswriter
07-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Hey, I've been trying to access Loose-id's website www.loose-id.com/ (http://www.loose-id.com/) and their store for the past couple of days. It says they're down for maintenance and should be available shortly. Anyone know the time frame or if this was a schedule outage?

thethinker42
07-17-2012, 06:04 PM
It should be back up in the next few days. I understand their servers were affected by some recent storms.

Jamiekswriter
07-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Cool! Thanks :D

Filigree
07-17-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm getting word they'll be up in a day or two, as well.

Becky Black
07-18-2012, 01:13 PM
They've got an interim site up now - a version of the new site they were going to be launching in a few weeks anyway. The server disaster has made them bring it forward. Not all the books are on there yet, primarily the new and recent releases. All books continue to be available at reseller sites as normal.

There's a "letter to readers" up on the site, and they have sent an email to people with accounts there explaining what's going on, and they've advised authors through the Yahoo LI Admin group about it all. They are planning to have the full new site live early August.

scarletpeaches
07-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Last week I was contacted by Loose Id and told I hadn't replied to this email and that email, asked how did I want to be paid, monthly or quarterly, etc...none of which made sense as I had replied to all emails from Loose Id. I have proof, namely, every email exchange going back years, saved, in my gmail page.

I also came to know that Loose Id were, shall we say, 'disappointed' in my posts in this thread, and asked me to come back and post here, saying it had all been a misunderstanding. I refused, saying the troubles going back months could hardly be described as a mere 'misunderstanding'. I made it clear I would be happy to post only after the matter had been resolved, i.e. after I'd been paid.

Well the postie's just delivered my cheque for April-June, so that aspect of things is okay. I'm still confused as to why Loose Id kept asking how I wanted to be paid if they were so convinced I'd willingly asked to be paid quarterly, but...:Shrug:

I feel I should make it clear that it was only after my last post on AW (on the 17th June) that I reluctantly agreed to be paid quarterly; my posts in this thread were made prior to this agreement and while I was still in a state of confusion and anger about what was going on.

I've got my money, and that's all I care about. So I thought I should post at least about that.

amergina
07-27-2012, 03:02 AM
Just wanted to pop on by to say I've accepted an offer from Loose-Id to publish my erotic M/M paranormal romance.

greeneyes
07-27-2012, 03:28 AM
Just wanted to pop on by to say I've accepted an offer from Loose-Id to publish my erotic M/M paranormal romance.

Congrats! :partyguy:

Filigree
07-27-2012, 04:02 AM
Congrats! So far, I've enjoyed working with them. I look forward to seeing your book.

Silver-Midnight
07-27-2012, 04:31 AM

Congrats! :partyguy:

amergina
07-27-2012, 04:39 AM
Thanks guys. :D

smlgr8
07-27-2012, 05:37 AM
Congrats! My MM romance comes out August 28th and so far things have been very good.

nkkingston
07-27-2012, 02:29 PM
I wonder if the recent server outrage has affected their emails. I tried replying to the usual payroll one recently and it kept bouncing back, and now my most recent statement has arrived it's a different address. I emailed them to let them know about a change of address back in March that doesn't seem to have taken root (actually, I've emailed them about my address before without affect - my cheques are still being sent to New Yorkshire rather than North Yorkshire!), so now I'm wondering if ScarletPeaches missing emails are actually a problem at their end they weren't aware of.

VanessaNorth
07-27-2012, 03:25 PM
I really am turned off by the way they told scarlet peaches to come in here and change her story and tell us it was a misunderstanding.

They didn't pay her, didn't communicate with her, then scolded her for being upset about it and told her to come here and lie to make them look better?

Scarletpeaches, thank you for sharing your story with us and for not caving under pressure to change it.

Filigree
07-27-2012, 05:39 PM
That, I agree with. Scarlet's email issues happened long before this server snafu. I'm waiting to see how they do with domestic mail - but then I have an agent who takes no guff.

LoriToland
07-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Yes, I have heard that they had problems with their e-mails. I believe they said so in their press release.

Ann_Mayburn
07-27-2012, 09:30 PM
I live in the states and I've gotten my check every month at around the same time. They've probably been one of my most reliable pubs as far as paying on time.

michael_b
07-28-2012, 02:01 AM
I live in the states and I've gotten my check every month at around the same time. They've probably been one of my most reliable pubs as far as paying on time.

Same here. I've also never had a lag in replies via email from them.

Maybe a check of the author's junk mail folder is in order. I've found emails from both Loose-id and Liquid Silver dumped in the junk folder from time to time by Yahoo's brilliant spam filter. (Too bad it doesn't get rid of actual spam!)

scarletpeaches
07-28-2012, 03:08 PM
I wonder if the recent server outrage has affected their emails. I tried replying to the usual payroll one recently and it kept bouncing back, and now my most recent statement has arrived it's a different address. I emailed them to let them know about a change of address back in March that doesn't seem to have taken root (actually, I've emailed them about my address before without affect - my cheques are still being sent to New Yorkshire rather than North Yorkshire!), so now I'm wondering if ScarletPeaches missing emails are actually a problem at their end they weren't aware of.My emails didn't go missing; Doreen, the Chief Financial Officer, told me I hadn't replied to emails sent to me by Jo, another staff member. How she had access to Jo's emails, I don't know. I told her I had replied to Jo's emails and I know Jo received them because we had an ongoing conversation about the matter.

Doreen then said I had agreed to being paid quarterly with "Perhaps you forgot this email?" and pasted the message in which I'd said to Jo that I agreed. I pointed out to Doreen that my reluctant agreement came after months of trying to find out why I hadn't been paid, and certainly after my last post on AW in which I'd said I did not agree to being paid quarterly.

Once I made this point, she reverted to accusing me of not having replied to emails from Jo. I ignored Doreen's last email to me as we were just going round in circles and I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere. Every time I said "I have proof that what you're saying isn't true," they changed the subject.

However, I've been paid. Thankfully.
I really am turned off by the way they told scarlet peaches to come in here and change her story and tell us it was a misunderstanding.

They didn't pay her, didn't communicate with her, then scolded her for being upset about it and told her to come here and lie to make them look better?

Scarletpeaches, thank you for sharing your story with us and for not caving under pressure to change it.Let's face it, I'm never going to sub there again so I don't really care what they think of me, just as long as they cough up what I'm owed. With conference season coming up, word may get around, but I'm happy with the other publishers I have, they know the full story and if editors at another publisher ever judge me adversely I shall just tell them straight: lack of payment and lack of communication on the part of the publisher caused this. Not bad author behaviour.

Which is what makes the following so interesting...

I was "accidentally" (I think) forwarded some emails in which staff members at Loose Id discussed how difficult I was being.

All along, I just wanted to be paid. If that makes me difficult, so be it. I have proof of everything I said and when I said it. I replied to all relevant emails, and did not agree to quarterly payments until the end of June.
That, I agree with. Scarlet's email issues happened long before this server snafu. I'm waiting to see how they do with domestic mail - but then I have an agent who takes no guff.I've never had email issues with them (apart from my asking Treva, the owner, for help, and receiving no reply). It's always been regarding payment.

However, the week of 12th July when I started receiving "You never replied to our emails!" emails, I also got a message from Treva out of the blue saying she didn't normally get involved with payroll, and another in which she said she didn't know what was going on.

So that's reassuring. The owner doesn't know what's going on.
Same here. I've also never had a lag in replies via email from them.

Maybe a check of the author's junk mail folder is in order. I've found emails from both Loose-id and Liquid Silver dumped in the junk folder from time to time by Yahoo's brilliant spam filter. (Too bad it doesn't get rid of actual spam!)I've never had a problem with publisher emails being classified as spam. Besides which, even when I do receive spam emails, the spam folder is highlighted, and a number appears telling me how many unread messages I have in that folder.

For a while now, I've been communicating with Writer Beware behind the scenes and they speculate that it was perhaps negative publicity which prompted the arrival of my cheque. That may or may not be the case, but I should not have to go through this bother every time I am due to get paid.

Taking Total-e-Bound as an example; they pay royalties straight into my bank account. The first month I was paid, there was a blip in the process. I emailed Nicki to say the money wasn't in my account. She apologised profusely, tried again, and asked me to go out to check my balance at the nearest ATM. I did so, and emailed her back to say it was all fixed. This happened on a weekend night. My publisher was willing to work on a weekend night to ensure I got paid. No excuses, just an apology, which is far more professional. And, more importantly, they pay me the fuck on time EVERY MONTH.

michael_b
07-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Taking Total-e-Bound as an example; they pay royalties straight into my bank account. The first month I was paid, there was a blip in the process. I emailed Nicki to say the money wasn't in my account. She apologised profusely, tried again, and asked me to go out to check my balance at the nearest ATM. I did so, and emailed her back to say it was all fixed. This happened on a weekend night. My publisher was willing to work on a weekend night to ensure I got paid. No excuses, just an apology, which is far more professional. And, more importantly, they pay me the fuck on time EVERY MONTH.

More and more Total-e-Bound sounds like a publisher that should go to the top of my 'submit here' list.

Filigree
07-29-2012, 02:37 AM
TEB liked my work but ultimately passed. I - or my agent - might try them again with something else. I'm currently more interested in U.S. publishers, because I don't want to get into international mailing snafus.

scarletpeaches
08-05-2012, 05:38 PM
More and more Total-e-Bound sounds like a publisher that should go to the top of my 'submit here' list.I'd definitely recommend them and no, I don't work for them as anything other than a writer!

But as this is the Loose Id, not the TeB thread...

Each publisher has its own way of doing things, its own quirks and foibles. I will say that I love LI's editing process. It's hella-stringent, just the way I like it. Done months in advance. But there are other things I cannot deal with, which is why I cannot recommend them.

Other authors may say differently, and that's pretty much all I can say on the matter; other publishers suit me better.

nkkingston
01-04-2013, 07:10 PM
It's been three years since my last book came out with Loose Id. I've got something else I want to sent to them, but I don't know whether to send it to my previous editor, or sub as fresh. The link to the editors isn't working, so I'm not even sure if it's a genre she works in.

smlgr8
01-04-2013, 07:40 PM
It's been three years since my last book came out with Loose Id. I've got something else I want to sent to them, but I don't know whether to send it to my previous editor, or sub as fresh. The link to the editors isn't working, so I'm not even sure if it's a genre she works in.

If it were me, and she still works there, of course, I'd submit it to her and explain in your email to her that it's been three years and you're not sure she likes the genre. I'm sure she'd be happy to tell you if she does or if you should contact someone else. You could even just email her first and ask her.

Filigree
01-04-2013, 07:47 PM
I've found the LI crew rather approachable. If your old editor's email still works, talk to her and see what she thinks.

So far, I've been very happy with LI. The one mailing issue I had got ironed out smoothly. My sales have been reasonable. I love all my editors, and both fear and look forward to seriously tight editing on the next book.

Oldbrasscat
04-20-2013, 07:17 PM
For anyone interested in Loose Id, I sent a partial to them two weeks ago and got a request for a full 9 days after I sent it, despite the confirmation email saying not to expect a response for at least 6 weeks. I don't know if this means that their slush pile is small right now, or if they are specifically looking for MM shifters, but if anyone's debating a sub, now might be the time to try it.

nkkingston
04-20-2013, 09:24 PM
I should add I sent the MS I was talking about above to my current editor, who was great about it (see avatar for the outcome!). Sadly she's now left Loose Id, but the Quad have done a great job organising new editors for her current authors.

amergina
04-20-2013, 09:40 PM
I should probably update that my novel came out this past November and that I have a Spring Fling (short story) coming out in two weeks.

The editing has been fantastic. I've been paid every month. All the questions I've had have been answered promptly.

In short, I've had no issues with them whatsoever, and am planning on sending more books their way.

thethinker42
04-20-2013, 10:26 PM
I should probably update that my novel came out this past November and that I have a Spring Fling (short story) coming out in two weeks.

The editing has been fantastic. I've been paid every month. All the questions I've had have been answered promptly.

In short, I've had no issues with them whatsoever, and am planning on sending more books their way.

Same here. Editing, sales, and cover art have been solid for all of my books (three under one name, one under another), payments have always been on time, and though my editor has left, I've been assigned to a new one who I really like so far. I've got another book due out from them later this year, and will definitely be sending them, more.

Becky Black
04-21-2013, 06:32 PM
I've always found their turnaround time pretty speedy. Both when I was unknown to them for my first one and later when I was submitting direct to my editor. Even the longest was weeks rather than months.

gingerwoman
04-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Good to know thanks Ann. I had a rejection on a requested full in 2007 with very detailed feedback so I think they are very generous with feedback. They appear to be a top notch publisher.

Brindle Chase
04-22-2013, 11:09 PM
I'm chiming in with the others. My 4th book with LI will release later this year. Loose is a great publisher. They are very professional. When something goes wrong, they fix it... without all the drama you sometimes see with other publishers. I've had only very minor issues with LI and all of them were resolved with extreme care, courtesy and professionalism. And quickly, I might add. I very much recommend them, especially if you write m/m, which has become their strongest market.

Oldbrasscat
05-21-2013, 02:46 AM
Quick update: 6 weeks from initial query to acceptance. I already know what plot points they want strengthened and when they're looking at releasing it. Easy to talk to, I feel right at home already.

Ann_Mayburn
05-21-2013, 03:21 AM
Yeah! I loves them. Met one of the owners, Treva Harte, at RT. She is super duper nice and very down to earth. Luckily she also has a very good sense of humor because authors in large numbers tend to be full of shenanigans. :D

PS- She's also wicked smart. I sat in on a panel with her and all of her answers were well thought out.

AmberS
05-21-2013, 05:44 AM
+1 for great editing and Treva being down to earth and smart :)

Filigree
05-21-2013, 05:46 AM
Another vote for Loose Id.

smlgr8
05-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Yep, I agree. Really happy with them. Just contracted another MM contemporary with them a few weeks ago and am doing edits. Very thorough

LoriToland
05-27-2013, 06:31 AM
Just chiming in and saying still love the folks at Loose Id. Treva is awesome, so is Christy. My editor Antonia is amazing and their staff is stellar and highly professional.

I went through a surgery while editing my latest two releases. They worked around me without any pressure on me.

Emerald Lavere
05-31-2013, 04:37 AM
Hi Everyone, I'm brand new to posting here, although I've been gathering very useful info from these boards for the past two years. I currently have an MS being considered by Loose Id that I resubmitted after their requested changes. So nice to read about all the positive experiences with them. My contact is Mindy, who seems to be a Jr. Editor? She has been a pleasure to communicate with. I hope to get the thumbs up soon, especially after hearing so many good things about this publisher. Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences. It's because of what I read here, that I took their suggestion to revise and resubmit. Although they obviously put a lot of time into reading over my manuscript and gave very specific suggestions, so I like to think I would have been sharp enough to revise and resubmit anyway, but the posts here, also encouraged me.

Filigree
05-31-2013, 07:15 AM
Good for you, Emerald. I hope you can work with LI. They're great folks with a strong and steady company, from what I've seen in the past year with them.

Becky Black
05-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Hi, Emerald. Good luck with your R&R. Two of mine (the 3rd and 4th) with Loose Id were accepted after having R&R rejections. I could have just gone elsewhere, but my editor's suggestions were good and I trust her to know what she's talking about, so I went for it. One was a reasonably easy job - adding about 15000 words to the start of the story and an additonal chapter part way through basically. The other was more extensive, but the story was better at the end of it, and was accepted, so I'm very glad I took that road and stayed with Loose Id, instead of the easier path, trying elsewhere with an MS I knew could be better! :)

Emerald Lavere
06-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Thank you Filigree and Becky! I received my acceptance letter today! I agree with Becky, and other posters on this thread, that Loose Id seems to be on top of their game when it comes to editing. I feel my MS is much stronger with the revisions they suggested so far, and feel confident that whatever additional changes they request will improve it that much more. So excited to be making this journey with them!

Becky Black
06-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Woohoo! Nice one, Emerald. Welcome aboard. :D

G. Applejack
06-18-2013, 05:39 AM
A couple numbers:

May 25th - Sent query and sample chapters
May 31st - Received request for full
June 13th - Received acceptance letter
June 17th - Sent back contract. :)

These numbers exclude, of course, all the flailing and dancing on my end.

AphraB
06-18-2013, 05:50 AM
A couple numbers:

:hooray: Good for you! :partyguy:

Filigree
06-18-2013, 06:24 AM
I think you're in good hands.

c.m.n.
06-18-2013, 07:01 AM
A couple numbers:

Awesome. Congrats!

amergina
06-18-2013, 07:10 AM
Congrats. :)

greeneyes
06-18-2013, 08:35 AM
A couple numbers:

Congratulations!! :partyguy:

gingerwoman
06-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Hi, Emerald. Good luck with your R&R. Two of mine (the 3rd and 4th) with Loose Id were accepted after having R&R rejections. I could have just gone elsewhere, but my editor's suggestions were good and I trust her to know what she's talking about, so I went for it. One was a reasonably easy job - adding about 15000 words to the start of the story and an additonal chapter part way through basically. The other was more extensive, but the story was better at the end of it, and was accepted, so I'm very glad I took that road and stayed with Loose Id, instead of the easier path, trying elsewhere with an MS I knew could be better! :)
Congrats Emerald and Applejack!

Oldbrasscat
06-18-2013, 02:28 PM
I was given a small tweak to do and one scene that they wanted written out, rather than referred to as just a past event. I ended up adding two chapters plus some tweaks, but that's the fault of my rampaging plot bunnies. So far, I've been really happy with my experience and I'm looking through the herd of bunnies to see what else they might like.

G. Applejack
06-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Thanks everyone!

Similar to OBC, my acceptance letter included notes to nuance the ending, and add more sensuality in several scenes. No problem.

Brigid Barry
08-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Just because I want to put in my two cents.

Loose ID is a romance publisher, which everyone else probably gathered from the web site but I somehow missed. :)

I submitted to Loose ID, and got a full request (my first one!)

I was given a very detailed response re: why Loose ID didn't want my novel, BUT it was "not ready for them right now", not "no thanks." Changes were suggested on what would make it more acceptable to them, and I was invited to submit future works. The changes they wanted would have upset my entire plot and required a total overhaul, so I decided to pass.

The responses I received were timely, both to my query and full MS. I know that's not the same as "published" but I was impressed that they took the time when they obviously didn't have to.

(Maybe I'm feeling sentimental after all the agent rejects ;))

Oldbrasscat
08-11-2013, 06:00 PM
One thing to know about Loose Id is that they like a lot of heat. So, lots of sexual tension and/or lots of on-page sex.

They're really fast to get back to you about stuff and their Author Loop is very helpful.

Filigree
08-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Yes. With LI take the heat level you think you want and scale it up as far as believable. Avoid fade to black. They seem to like afterglow and aftercare, especially if it helps grow the relationships. I learned a lot working with my editors, lessons I needed to write stronger erotica.

Brigid Barry
08-11-2013, 07:55 PM
One thing to know about Loose Id is that they like a lot of heat. So, lots of sexual tension and/or lots of on-page sex.

They're really fast to get back to you about stuff and their Author Loop is very helpful.

Yes. With LI take the heat level you think you want and scale it up as far as believable. Avoid fade to black. They seem to like afterglow and aftercare, especially if it helps grow the relationships. I learned a lot working with my editors, lessons I needed to write stronger erotica.

They also want a prior emotional connection in order for sex to be believable and as close of a 3rd person as possible to really get to know the characters. ETA: If you are writing in 3rd person, they don't want a distant or omniscient narrative. :)

(thanks, MumblingSage)

MumblingSage
08-11-2013, 08:02 PM
They also want a prior emotional connection in order for sex to be believable and as close of a 3rd person as possible to really get to know the characters.

Of several epubs I buy from, Loose Id's had the largest proportion of stories in 1st person, probably for the same reason.

And congrats, Applejack! That looks like a quick turnaround, too.

nkkingston
08-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Working with Loose Id has really helped me tighten up my third person, to the benefit of all my writing.

Zoe X. Rider
11-26-2013, 04:12 AM
Here are my numbers:

September 5 - Query & sample chapters sent
September 22 - Full requested & sent
November 24 - Acceptance letter received
November 25 - Contract received and signed

Maiah
01-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Question: So you submit a partial and if they don't like it, they won't ask you to send the full manuscript? Is this the way it works?

Filigree
01-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Yep. I don't have my email history or contract in front of me right now, but my experience was approximately this:

Queried in January 2012.
Request for partial early February 2012.
Request for full mid February 2012.
Contract offer early March 2012.
Enlisted agent's help in narrowing contract terms.
Signed contract late April 2012.
Published July 2012.

I had good, solid, rational editing. LI addressed one critical cover issue promptly. Their marketing support was strong enough that my book sold 125 copies the first month through their web portal alone, with even higher sales at Amazon and ARe.

They like their heat cranked way up, so they know their core audience. Write to those needs, and LI is a fairly solid publisher.

KimJo
01-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Loose Id accepted my second project in November. (My first, a novella, was released in June.) I love my editor there, and I've had a great experience with the company all the way around.

On the subject of heat levels, one of the conditions they gave me on accepting the second project, a full-length novel, is that I add at least one more sex scene.

Oldbrasscat
01-03-2014, 11:08 PM
That's exactly how it works, Maiah. On the bright side, it really reduces the wait time for authors. My turnaround, from initial submission to offer was about 5 weeks. Editing was good, and my editor is very good at holding my hand and talking me down off the ledge, which I really needed over my Christmas release. My sales weren't as spectacular as Fil's, but they were respectable for a new writer in a fairly overserved genre (werewolves). We'll see what happens when the second in the series comes out. And the submissions editor is very kind and takes a lot of care with her responses, no matter if it's a rejection, an R&R or an acceptance.

black13
01-04-2014, 05:24 AM
I've been with Loose-Id since 2006. They're a dream to work with. They work hard and they never shirk on the edits. Standards are high there. They behave in a friendly but businesslike method, and they always answer your questions with a straight answer. I can't tell you how welcome that is!

Undercover
01-04-2014, 05:36 AM
I'm really liking this! For some reason you don't hear very many small publishers having such a good rep as this. It's made me sad to see so many having issues with authors, whether not getting paid, low sales or poor distribution or worse.

I'll definitely keep an eye on these guys as I gear my blog towards recommending pubs. Do they accept YA?

I'll need to look into them more, but really great to hear you guys are doing good with LooseID.

elindsen
01-04-2014, 06:04 AM
I'll definitely keep an eye on these guys as I gear my blog towards recommending pubs. Do they accept YA?

I'm going to say no to YA. I could be wrong, but doesn't LI only take erotic fiction?

amergina
01-04-2014, 06:08 AM
LI takes only erotic romance. And they do like it hot hot hot, but with a good deal of plot, so it's more like Hot Plot Hot...

Filigree
01-04-2014, 06:55 AM
Rowwwrrr. The stuff I like. They were one of only two publishers who didn't want me to dumb down my plot. They upped the ante on sex scenes, but I needed a gentle push on that direction.

Are they a perfect match for every author? No. But if you write within their parameters, they are a great house.

Undercover
01-04-2014, 08:03 AM
Okay, got it. I've heard about them before and even looked into them, I think. That's gotta be why I never submitted to them.

Not my genre, but I still like hearing about this cause like I said, lots of other small pubs (and I know you guys know this, G and Fili especially) that their are some real crappy ones out there too.

But if I were to write this genre, I would definitely try them. Thanks again for the info guys.

Filigree
01-04-2014, 08:14 AM
Love your avatar, BTW.

BarbaraSheridan
01-04-2014, 06:06 PM
I've said it before but I'll annoyingly repeat myself because I do love the fact that LI lets an author know upfront what changes they want to see when they accept a manuscript.

c.m.n.
01-04-2014, 07:35 PM
I've submitted several times to LI. Their turn around is quick, about 4-8 weeks.

Although I've been rejected each time, I must say that LI is the ONLY publisher to ever write up such complete and thorough rejection letters, stating what they didn't like and how I can improve my story.

It's great to have editors like that, as most pubs only send out form rejections.

KimJo
01-04-2014, 09:44 PM
I'm with Barbara; my editor gave me detailed info when she sent me the acceptance for my second project with Loose Id. "We're accepting this, as long as you're willing to fix X and Y."

I wasn't entirely sure what she meant by one of the things I was asked to fix, so emailed for clarification. Another thing I love about Loose Id is you get very quick responses to questions, and in this case my editor said she would help me sort out the fix for that issue when we get to edits. She was also cool with me holding off on fixing the other issue (which I did understand) until we get to the first editing round. Communication with folks at Loose Id is excellent, in my opinion.

Filigree
01-04-2014, 09:57 PM
I'll second what Barbara said. I had a problem with my debut even in mms stage: a scene and a theme which were gritty but necessary to plot and character development.
I'd written to LI even before querying, asking about the issue. The senior editor told me via email: send it, we'll see how dire it is, and talk about changes then. She also told me to mention our exchange in the query.

When I got the offer, they had suggestions on how to soften that scene. Good ones. The trend continued with my editors, who made me look like a better writer.

Is this house for every romance author? No. But for what I want to write, they're a good home.

triceretops
01-05-2014, 02:21 AM
I just know that they've had a hell of a good rep since I can remember. I don't write their stuff, but wouldn't mind having a pub like them for my other material.

tri

Becky Black
01-06-2014, 12:51 PM
I've got my 8th release with them coming on 4th February. I've currently got no intention of going anywhere else with whatever I write that's suitable for them. They're strong on all the fundamentals as mentioned above. They hire good cover artists and their ebooks and print books look great. They do take notice of feedback from authors on the cover art, which is nice. When I've had a problem (rarely) it's been fixed.

They do excellent detailed royalty statements monthly, broken down by reseller per book. So if you're into analyzing your stats you can have hours of spreadsheet fun with that. Those gave me a surprise to see that it's not actually ALL about Amazon. That I get plenty of my sales at AllRomance ebooks. So that level of detail is really helpful.

Maddie
03-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Kathleen Calhoun of Loose Id has just requested the full on my Erotic Romance. Crossing my fingers!

Filigree
03-06-2014, 11:57 PM
Fingers crossed for you, Maddie.

Maddie
03-07-2014, 01:07 AM
Thank you. I'm absolutely excited that Ms. Calhoun is planning to start the full read on this manuscript today. I appreciate that.

KimJo
03-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Good luck, Maddie!

My second project with Loose Id came out on Tuesday. (The first was a novella; this one's a full-length novel.) So far, looking good. It even had a mention in the "week's releases" round-up on USA Today online. The editing process was as smooth as with the first one, and I'm once again very pleased with the company and my editor.

Filigree
03-07-2014, 07:13 PM
That's one of the things I really like about LI: they're big enough, and their marketing staff diligent enough, that they can actually reach mainstream audiences.

BBCAuthor
03-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Good luck, Maddie!

I've been with LI since 2006 and have several books with them. They've always been very efficient and friendly. If there's an issue, they deal with it promptly and professionally.

When I was really upset due to an oversight that led to me having to pay part of my royalties to the IRS, the CFO called me at home to discuss, and they reimbursed me out of their pocket. They turned a negative into a positive with open communication and treating me like a valued partner and not a cog in a wheel.

I love my editor, and of the houses I've worked with, LI's editing is the best. Rigorous without going overboard, and excellent at catching the sloppy errors many houses let slip through these days. The editorial team is terrific from the leaders all the way through the eagle-eyed proofers.

I echo that the royalty payments are excellent. They email detailed statements at the end of each month so we don't have to wait for the check in the mail to know what we're getting.

The four woman in charge (the "quad" as they're known) are courteous and caring. It's a pleasure working with LI. If you write erotic romance, it's a great place to be.

Oldbrasscat
03-08-2014, 02:42 AM
Just another thumbs up--when my husband passed away last fall, I got a card from the quad. They do keep an eye on their authors and do their best to look after them.

Maddie
03-08-2014, 02:53 AM
From these posts, it appears I would very much enjoy working with this publisher.

Filigree
03-08-2014, 04:42 AM
As other people have said, LI is great for heat + plot, and they're not as afraid of heavy plots as other erotic romance houses. The one thing I'd caution, is to have at least a few sympathetic and engaging characters. LI's readership will forgive a lot, but they don't seem to like unrelenting 'crazy', and they really want Happy-Ever-After or positive Happy-For-Now endings.

I don't think I'm giving house secrets away by divulging that my debut novel with LI has sold around 1500 copies since its 7-2012 release, and that's with me doing very basic social media promotions. Sales have spiked again recently.

JulesJones
03-08-2014, 03:25 PM
I've got my first new release in five years coming out Soon(TM), and I'll be interested to see how it does compared with my old books -- and whether it give the old ones a boost.

I did a lot of promo back in the day, because when my first few books came out, m/m romance was not an established genre and there was an element of having to persuade readers to try the genre ,never mind any specific author's books. But even though I've done basically no promo for the last few years, my backlist still continues to sell a trickle every month. Loose Id definitely have a readership who will buy books just from trusting the publisher.

blaquebutterfly
03-08-2014, 04:34 PM
This pub definitely sounds top notch on many levels. They're one I looked into so this is wonderful to hear.

So glad to have this site and the vast amount of information it extends.

Oldbrasscat
03-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Jules, I think we have the same editor. Raven? And who did your cover, because I love the style.

JulesJones
03-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Raven's my editor -- and a very good match for me. We've been working together for ten years now. :-) The cover on Nice Tie is by Valerie Tibbs. It's my first cover from her, and I like it a lot.