How to Find a Conferece?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I was eating a doughnut in a doughnut shop months ago, when my husband nudged at the newspaper that happened to have been left at our table. The top page slid aside to reveal an ad for a very local writing conference, which I signed up for immediately and loved.

I guess my question is: Other than random acts of fate, HOW do I discover when and where conferences are being held nearby? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I'm in Silicon Valley, California by the way (the town is Gilroy).

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Gilroy - love your garlic!!!

One place to look is your locale Sisters in Crime or MWA or SFF chapter website. Also, google writers conference and you'll come up with a boatload.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
How's the garlic this year, Scribe?

Writer's Market has an extensive listing of conferences near the back of the volume. Googling "writer's conferences" gets you a fair way, too. There are tons of them, of many flavors. Most have websites. In addition to finding one "nearby", you also need to scope out the emphases of the various venues, and choose one that best fits your needs. And cost is a factor, obviously.

caw

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
What genre do you write, WildScribe? I know a lot of people in California, and could find out about smaller events that you might enjoy. :)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It gets stinky in town around harvest time, that's for sure.

I write mainstream fiction as well as fantasy. The one that I went to was pretty general. I'd appreciate the help. I can get a boatload of confrences via google, but they are all over the place, and almost all of them are out of range.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Mainstream's tougher, but Fantasy is a piece of cake! Wander through the Locus Magazine Convention guide for 2007. It's probably the most complete one you'll find because EVERYONE wants to have their convention mentioned in Locus! :) Right after the name of the event is the location. You'll be able to spot the ones close to you pretty quickly. Check back often. They update every month and it's still pretty early yet for some cons to be advertising.

Good luck!

Last edited:

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the big help!

Status
Not open for further replies.