PDA

View Full Version : Need a bar name

Sweetlebee
01-16-2007, 10:37 PM
I need a name for a bar on Main Street in a small Northeastern city. Got any suggestions or memories from your own town? I can only think of Irish names, and being Irish, I think I'll give us a break with the stereotypes. Hic.

Shadow_Ferret
01-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Bars are named after nearly everything.

Just pick up a phone book and check.

They can be named after the owner, after the street, or just on a whim.

Tumble On Inn comes to mind.

WildScribe
01-16-2007, 10:41 PM
My favorite was the White Horse Pub in London. Great food!

alleycat
01-16-2007, 10:41 PM
The Main Street Bar.

Jack's.

The Brass Rail.

The Black Horse.

Meerkat
01-16-2007, 10:45 PM
In old Tucson ('70s) we had the Stumble Inn...

engmajor2005
01-16-2007, 10:46 PM
There's a bar in Charlotte called, no joking, "Bar."

I found it rather clever myself. That way, when you drunkenly tell your buddy where to pick you up, he doesn't snicker when you can only manage a one-word answer.

If I were to open a bar, it would be Floyd's, named after my Papa, or Bo's Place. Bo is what my little brother calls me.

alleycat
01-16-2007, 10:49 PM
The Dewdrop Inn.

;-)

Pamster
01-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Mike's Friendly Bar...Great place here in my area. I doubt it woiuld work as a name in a book though, but it's my favorite name of a bar. ;)

Sweetlebee
01-16-2007, 10:54 PM
It's not a fancy bar. Just a place where the locals hang out--a man's bar that smells like smoke and stale beer.

I stared curiously at the man whose name I knew but whose face I had never seen. Royal Davis had once been Mansfield’s most famous native son, but now he relived his glory days in the ring almost every night with the regulars at _________.

The Dew Drop Inn????

alleycat
01-16-2007, 10:58 PM
The Dew Drop Inn????
I was teasing . . .

Freckles
01-16-2007, 10:58 PM
How about Captain's Corner? Cheesy? It's the only thing that popped in my head....

alleycat
01-16-2007, 10:59 PM
. . . the Main Street Bar & Grille

or

. . . the Main Street Bar and Pool Room.

Sweetlebee
01-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Hey, why not? Maybe the story needs some humor!

Referring to the Dew Drop......I forget how fast you guys post.

Shadow_Ferret
01-16-2007, 11:01 PM
It's not a fancy bar. Just a place where the locals hang out--a man's bar that smells like smoke and stale beer.

I stared curiously at the man whose name I knew but whose face I had never seen. Royal Davis had once been Mansfield’s most famous native son, but now he relived his glory days in the ring almost every night with the regulars at _________.

The Dew Drop Inn????

The Main Tap

Some of my favorites that I hung out at. The Rusty Bucket. Hooligan's. Landmark Lanes (a bowling alley AND a bar. How can you not go wrong with that?)

Meerkat
01-16-2007, 11:04 PM
I also believe that there is a bar in Morgantown WV named "The Library," in which students can claim to their parents they spent the entire evening. The poor darlings...

Sweetlebee
01-16-2007, 11:06 PM
The busiest bar in my hometown was run by the St. Rocco's Society, but I think I better not......

alleycat
01-16-2007, 11:14 PM
The busiest bar in my hometown was run by the St. Rocco's Society, but I think I better not......
In that case . . . VFW Post 1257.

;-)

alleycat
01-16-2007, 11:16 PM
I also believe that there is a bar in Morgantown WV named "The Library," in which students can claim to their parents they spent the entire evening. The poor darlings...
There's one of those in my hometown! It's located (or was) near Austin Peay State University.

PattiTheWicked
01-16-2007, 11:21 PM
There's a bar around the corner from me called The Blarney Stone. I also knew a guy way back when who opened a bar called The Hole in the Wall.

Kate Thornton
01-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Bars from my misspent youth -

Louise's

The 357

Sorry Gulch

The 35er

HiBrow Inn (it was anything but!)

Stinky John's

The Sidecar

Rosie's

Jimmy's

The Red Light

The Mayfair

Little Red Barn
01-16-2007, 11:47 PM
The Back Door.

jennifer75
01-16-2007, 11:49 PM
I visited a bar/club in San Francisco a few years ago called the Holy Cow. I loved it.

Mom'sWrite
01-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Bars I have worked in...

The Monastery
The Library
The Hideaway
The Bar on the Corner (the owner's complete lack of imagination here should have won him a place in the Guiness Book of World Records.)
What's Your Beef?

Sweetlebee
01-16-2007, 11:56 PM
This story takes place in the 1960s. Would they have been that creative back then? I think it'd be named after the owner. There are a lot of Irish, Italian, and Polish in the NE. I'm thinking "Rocco's Bar", after the St. Rocco's Society bar in my town. It sounds like a place a bunch of older men would hang out at.

alleycat
01-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Rocco's sounds fine. Go with it.

Pamster
01-17-2007, 12:01 AM
I like it! :D

Del
01-17-2007, 12:05 AM
My Place

johnrobison
01-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Bars I remember

The College Inn

The Drake

The VIP

The Viking

The Rusty Nail

Barselotti's

Kelly's Irish Pub

O'Keefe's

Hot L Warren

Jaycinth
01-17-2007, 12:42 AM
Hammerjacks
The Crow Bar
Studebakers
Cellar Door
Clydes
Anchor Inn
Skipjacks
Godfather's
Earthworks
1420 Down Under
Madame's Organ (Real..still exists. Go to D.C.)
Green Turtle....

That's 12 of them...after that I don;t tend to remember the names of the places..except for that place that served the 'Alabama Slammers'..

NANTUCKETTS!!!!! YEAH!!!!

Stacia Kane
01-17-2007, 12:47 AM
I used to do my drinking at the Deuce* on South Beach, or Ted's Hideaway. The Deuce was the kind of place where you could run a finger over the top of the toilet paper dispenser and pick up enough cocaine for a line...but Ted's was a real dive. Where the bathroom floors were covered in muck and slime.

They both had great jukeboxes and pool tables, which are still my main requirements in a drinking establishment.

*Technically the name is "Mac's Club Deuce"--and yes, there is a Mac, a very nice little old guy who I met several times--but we in the know just called it the Deuce. Or the Deuce Bar if we were being fancy.

kbax
01-17-2007, 01:35 AM
Bars from the two northeastern towns I've spent my life in:

The Draft House
Grumpy's
Tootsie's
Gilbert's
Andy's
The Bullpen
The Cornerstone
Snuffy's
The South Side Saloon
Sassy's
The Lucky 13
Shenanigans

and my all time favorite:

The Alibi.

My brother-in-law always wanted to open a bar called "The 13th Step."

alleycat
01-17-2007, 02:34 AM
Well, as I suspected, you didn't have any trouble getting bar names from this bunch.

;-)

Sweetlebee
01-17-2007, 02:50 AM
I came to the right place! ;)

greglondon
01-17-2007, 02:57 AM
Main Street in a small Northeastern city

Depending on whether they're near the coast in the northeast, you migh have fishermen references. Like "The Lobster Trap" or something.

greglondon
01-17-2007, 03:08 AM
Other historical references might be to potatos or potato chips. Chips were invented in Saratoga Springs New York and Pensylvania produces a quarter of the potatos used for chips.

I think the pennsylvania dutch were crazy about them. See "Utz" chips for example.

http://www.geography.ccsu.edu/harmonj/atlas/potchips.htm

poetinahat
01-17-2007, 03:11 AM
If it's in the 60's, maybe something like the Zircon Lounge, the Eight-Ball, or Smitty's.

Well, isn't this a topic we could go on with all day long?

Silver King
01-17-2007, 03:22 AM
A few that are close to my home:

Greenbacks

No Name Bar

My Brother's Place

Last Call

The Porpoise Pub

Dan's Bar & Thrill

Also, since the bar is situated on Main Street, you could call it Night Moves in honor of Bob Seger.:)

Del
01-17-2007, 03:28 AM
Gold Bar

Silver Nugget

Month of Sundays

Finks Drinks

Suds'n'Stuff

Psycho's

I could use a drink.

No, that was sentence. Not a name. I really could use a drink.

Sweetlebee
01-17-2007, 03:32 AM
I don't know about Bob Seger, but Pete Seeger lives outside of town!

It's in the Hudson Valley--ever see "Nobody's Fool" with Paul Newman, Bruce Willis, and Melanie Griffith? Well, the location scouts were looking for a grimy, rundown town to film it in and they picked my hometown!

Chumplet
01-17-2007, 05:51 AM
There's a bar around the corner from me called The Blarney Stone. I also knew a guy way back when who opened a bar called The Hole in the Wall.

I heard of Hole In The Wall - somebody at my newspaper went there, but I can't remember if it was in Toronto or not.

We have a lovely little place in my home town called The Crow's Nest. Very Scottish. HAPPY ROBBIE BURNS DAY!

I'm not Scottish.

TrainofThought
01-17-2007, 06:43 AM
A few:

Butch McGuire’s
Mothers
Mrs. O’Leary’s
Lannigans
Keegans
Cork & Kerry’s
The Stadium Club
The Leg Room
Tavern on Rush
Crobar
Hogs & Honeys
RadioStar
Polyesters
Melvin B’s
Teehan’s Tavern
Elephant & Castle
Funk Groove Bar
House of Blues
Fado
Bourbon Street

Sean D. Schaffer
01-17-2007, 08:41 AM
I don't know if I'm going to spell this right, but there used to be a bar in Portland called the 'Trocadero' or something to that effect.

Also, a few other places I can think of include the Flower Drum, the China Hut, the Copper Penny, the White Horse Saloon, and a little bar called Nancy's Eat & Browse.

ruecole
01-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Similar to The Library, until recently we had a local pub called The Office. Kinda gives new meaning to the answer to, "And where were you till 2 am last night?" :D

Some other local pubs/bars:

The Wild Duck Inn
Billy Miner's
Witch of Endor
Caddy Shack
Fox's Reach
The Black Sheep Pub

Rue

Jo
01-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Tanked
The Bah Bar (kind of like The Baa Bar)
The Pub

Kate Thornton
01-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Oh, and the Alibi was/is the gay bar in town. Back in the early 1970s, there was lots of dancing, great drinks, and a Moose Lodge or something across the street that used to spill a dazed couple into the Alibi's sparkly decor once in a while.

It was a great place for a lady alone to get a drink, and I met lots of interesting people there, too. Haven't been in there in years - wonder what it's like today.

PS My avatar is me at the Elephant Bar.

stormie
01-17-2007, 08:14 PM
The Huddle

Kelly's Tavern

The Draughting Table

Rod's Tavern

Edgar's Pub

Harrigan's

WerenCole
01-17-2007, 08:45 PM
I like the idea of one called "The Bar" but if you want a New England flavor you could call it "The Bah."

Others: The Lost Sock (combination bar/deli and laundromat. . . just went out of business here.)

Caliente (Where I spend a lot of time)

Bogarts (as in Humphrey)

The Dude (from the Big Lebowski)

If I ever own a restraurant it will be called Lotus (simple, beautiful, elegant). If I ever own a pub it will be called Red Sox Nation.

Peanuts (as in the cartoon strip)

Europa (there is always a place named Europa or similar around)

Those are pretty good ones I think. I like when places are named after movies or are influenced by books.

pamelajo
01-17-2007, 08:58 PM
My all time favorite bar in SF was a bar called "The Philosopher's Club." Total dive, pool table, cheap drinks. Who could ask for more?

Sweetlebee
01-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Just got back from a night of research.... :e2thud: I think Rocco's Tavern will do the trick. It sounds like a blue-collar bar...but don't let me stand in the way of your fond memories.....;)

alleycat
01-17-2007, 09:17 PM
...but don't let me stand in the way of your fond memories.....
Now ask them where's the strangest place they've had sex . . .

Lyra Jean
01-17-2007, 10:41 PM
The 4:20

Jongfan
01-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Cask 'n Flagon
Penalty Box
Game On
Hurricane O'Reilly's
The Harp
Tavern on The Hill
Moriarty's
L Street Tavern
The Purple Shamrock
Improper Bostonian
Lucky's
O'Sullivan's

JIMBOS
01-17-2007, 11:24 PM
BAR NONE

steveg144
01-17-2007, 11:48 PM
I need a name for a bar on Main Street in a small Northeastern city. Got any suggestions or memories from your own town? I can only think of Irish names, and being Irish, I think I'll give us a break with the stereotypes. Hic.

The Blue Piano. The funny thing about the dump was, their was neither a piano nor a hint of blue anywhere to be found.

Or, just plain old "John's Bar," a traditional standup zinc bar that my old man frequented when I was little.

Mud Dauber
01-18-2007, 08:02 AM
A few:

Butch McGuire’s
Mothers
Mrs. O’Leary’s
Lannigans
Keegans
Cork & Kerry’s
The Stadium Club
The Leg Room
Tavern on Rush
Crobar
Hogs & Honeys
RadioStar
Polyesters
Melvin B’s
Teehan’s Tavern
Elephant & Castle
Funk Groove Bar
House of Blues
Fado
Bourbon Street

Ah! You stole mine (I love the simplicity of Tavern on Rush). Guess I didn't get here quick enough with my .02. Btw, Train, looks like you've seen some serious Chicago nightlife;) . Odds are, we've crossed paths once or twice... LOL

Go Bears!:D

(Sorry for the ChiTown sidenote... Carry on!)

Mom'sWrite
01-18-2007, 08:50 AM
The diviest of all dive bars in the old neighborhood was The Stony End. A lovely name, I think, for an establishment that very probably served cat-burgers.

Sage
01-18-2007, 09:01 AM
I went through different AWer's names for the name of the bar in my novel. Maestro's (run by a guy named Ray) worked pretty well for me.

truelyana
01-18-2007, 11:31 AM
My favorite was the White Horse Pub in London. Great food!

Whereabouts is it...

Yes, as previously mentioned you can name a bar anything. If it rings you, than go for it :D

Alien Enigma
01-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Trees-Biker Bar
Dad's Place
Bobby Sox
Timeout
The Hole in the Wall
Bucket of Blood-legendary cowboy bar in Virginia City that is still operating.
Club 40
Jose's
Sidelines
The Bank Club-Biker Bar
The Turf Club
Mickey's
Peyton Place-Strange Place
The Blue Bonnet
The Pub
The Mineshaft-Biker Bar
The Biker Bar-Obviously another Biker Bar
The Blue Room-Strange Place
DILLIGAS-You Won't believe what this stands for-Biker Bar

My best friend used to be in a band. I went to support him. It's still a shame he passed away.

FergieC
01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
There's a country music bar in Calgary called A Bar Named Sue. I liked that one.

TsukiRyoko
01-18-2007, 04:36 PM
We'll call it "Stumblehomes"

Jenan Mac
01-19-2007, 08:41 AM
There's a bar near my sister's house called "Dick's Den". Never been there, but I love the name.
The absolute greatest name of anything though is still Harry Little Pizzas in Baltimore. The visual images it evokes are just...stunning.

benbradley
01-19-2007, 08:55 AM
In the "Truth is stranger than Fiction" department, there was a bar in an Atlanta suburb named "The Office," which of course can lead to conversations such as - a husband comes home from work late and drunk, his wife asks "Where in the hell have you been?"
"I've been at The Office."

Mom'sWrite
01-19-2007, 09:38 AM
In the "Truth is stranger than Fiction" department, there was a bar in an Atlanta suburb named "The Office," which of course can lead to conversations such as - a husband comes home from work late and drunk, his wife asks "Where in the hell have you been?"
"I've been at The Office."

There is one at the Strater Hotel in Durango too!

Dave.C.Robinson
01-19-2007, 12:25 PM
I remember one in Leeds called "The Squinting Cat."

JIMBOS
01-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Small towns usually always have a 'DEW DROP INN'

pamelajo
01-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Never mind

ink wench
01-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Small towns usually always have a 'DEW DROP INN'
Yup. Town over from mine has one, though I don't know if it's in open anymore.

The bar near where I went to college was called The Tallyho. Or more often just "the ho". Seemed a fairly good description of it at the time.

Kate Thornton
01-20-2007, 12:14 AM
Does anyone remember The Regal Beagle?

TrainofThought
01-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Ah! You stole mine (I love the simplicity of Tavern on Rush). Guess I didn't get here quick enough with my .02. Btw, Train, looks like you've seen some serious Chicago nightlife;) . Odds are, we've crossed paths once or twice... LOL

Go Bears!:D

(Sorry for the ChiTown sidenote... Carry on!)I have to say Butch McGuire’s is one of my favorite especially at Christmas time. The serious nightlife occurred many years ago, now I make sure I'm close to the bedroom when I pass out (JK).

GO BEARS!

Stew21
01-22-2007, 09:20 PM
In Carbondale, IL there was one called "Gatsby's" I always liked that place. Which brings me to my point, name it after a character or book that you love to sort of pay respects.

Mud Dauber
01-25-2007, 02:48 AM
In Carbondale, IL there was one called "Gatsby's" I always liked that place. Which brings me to my point, name it after a character or book that you love to sort of pay respects.

Omg! Gatsby's! Stew, you didn't by chance ever see a band there called The Jungle Dogs, did you?

Good ol' Carbondale.;)

Mud Dauber
01-25-2007, 02:51 AM
I have to say Butch McGuire’s is one of my favorite especially at Christmas time. The serious nightlife occurred many years ago, now I make sure I'm close to the bedroom when I pass out (JK).

GO BEARS!
:D Me too.

~doin' the Superbowl shuffle over here~