Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruth Barringham

Still writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writeaholics.net
Someone told me in a recent post that they thought the quote in my signiture was inspirational, which is great, because that's why I put it there. I really love inspirational quotes that motivate me to write, write, write and write some more.

Do any of you know of any more? I'd love to hear (read?) them.

chibeth

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite writing quote is from Hemingway: "All first drafts are shit."

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"The faster I write the better my output. If I'm going slow, I'm in trouble. It means I'm pushing the words instead of being pulled by them." - Raymond Chandler

Ruth Barringham

Still writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writeaholics.net
These are great, I especially liked the Hemmingway quote, it made me laugh - but it's so true.

Here's another one I like:

Indecision Kills Greatness - Mike Littman.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
"Eschew Surplusage." Mark Twain
"Don't write crap," Harlan Ellison.

Also, the Johnny Hooker quotes in my signature are there because they apply to writing just as smartly as they do to music.

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
"Never argue with people who buy ink by the gallon." - Tommy Lasorda.

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
Irvine Welsh says this in an interview:

"'Writing loads is really important,' he says, 'When people start writing there is this idea that you have to get everything right first time, every sentence has to be perfect, every paragraph has to be perfect, every chapter has to be perfect, but what you're doing is not any kind of public show, until you're ready for it. There is a kind of mysticism to writing. Every kind of book I've written has been written in a different way. There has not been any set time for writing, any set way, I haven't re-invented the process every time but I almost have. I enjoy the freedom of the blank page. You have to respect the mysticism of writing; you're always going to learn things that will work subconsciously and stuff that wont. You can't tear yourself apart with it either. If you become too self-conscious about it, it shows up in the work, so you've got to enjoy it as well.'"

ShapeSphere

Hello, Hooray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonypeyton.com
There are many quotes I like and that inspire me directly or indirectly:

If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster. ~Isaac Asimov

A writer never has a vacation. For a writer's life consists of either writing or thinking about writing.~Eugene Ionesco

Writing is an occupation in which you have to keep proving your talent to those who have none. ~Jules Renard

Writing is the best way to talk without being interrupted. ~Jules Renard

Why do writers write? Because it isn't there.~Thomas Berger

Close the door. Write with no one looking over your shoulder. Don't try to figure out what other people want to hear from you; figure out what you have to say. It's the one and only thing you have to offer. ~Barbara Kingsolver

Observe, don't imitate.~John M. Ford

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing. ~Elbert Hubbard

Never let inexperience get in the way of ambition. ~Terry Josephson

Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at. ~David Gerrold

Anybody can become a writer, but the trick is to STAY a writer.~Harlan Ellison

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I can't remember who here on AW shared this first (I'm so sorry - the brain just doesn't work as well as it used to) but it's attributed to Richard Rhodes.

If writing a book is impossible, write a chapter. If writing a chapter is impossible, write a page. If writing a page is impossible, write a paragraph. If writing a paragraph is impossible, write a sentence. If writing a sentence is impossible, write a word and teach yourself everything there is to know about that word and then write another, connected word and see where the connection leads.

I need to take that advice more often than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.