PDA

View Full Version : Writing Challenge: 50 Words -- With a Twist

Pages : [1] 2

That Sheldrake Woman
01-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Here's a fun challenge for anyone who wants to dip their quill... Tell me a story or describe a scene in fifty words.

Sounds easy?

Now for the twist -- You must use three "challenge" words within the context of your submission. Where do they come from, you ask? Well, the first three will be given by me; subsequent ones will be given by the author of the last post for the creator of the next to use.

And so we begin:

First three words: chandelier, triumphant, red.

Have fun!! :D

Michelle Hoppe
01-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Jason’s face turned a sickly shade of red, his eyes focused in horror on the broken chandelier. He could hear her footsteps coming closer and knew without doubt she would triumphant at having caught him in the act. Fear welled in his chest, knowing his expulsion from school was imminent.

new words: chance, age, left

ColinLadd
01-17-2007, 03:30 AM
The archaeologist's rationalism pervaded his mind as he stood in the laboratory. It was chance. The woman's ancient skeleton survived, a jigsaw of bones left to puzzle us, tease us: know me, it said. Now he would reincarnate her age in his image and yet - what colour were her eyes?

Ghost, diamond, night.

Chumplet
01-17-2007, 07:25 AM
New snow glowed in the moonlight, each crystal glittering like a diamond. The buck took a step backward, its hooves squeaking in the fresh deposit. It dipped its antlers and exhaled, releasing a vapour that drifted around its body, obscuring it while it retreated into the night, like a ghost.

Baby, unique, curtain.

kirstin_mccormack
01-17-2007, 10:17 AM
The rain fell, a grey curtain in the dusk. He stepped from the shelter of the porch roof and into the night. It was a unique feeling, he thought, to stand newborn baby naked in this unexpected shower. He tasted the drops, and it tasted warm like summer sunshine.

New words: vandal, perserve, passion

JIMBOS
01-17-2007, 11:45 AM
I held the vandal at gun point, waiting for the Police to arrive. I knew his will to escape was surpassed only by his passion to destroy. He spat words at me like morqulid, perserve and quidly.

New words: fling, behold, injection

GeneBrighton
01-18-2007, 02:06 AM
The highland sheep were, indeed, a sight to behold. Flourescent dyes marked the backs of almost every female. It was explained to me that with every injection by a mating ewe a dyepack, which was strapped around its neck, would would fling up and down. It left quite an impression.

lively, pickles, mistaken

pomegranatetears
01-19-2007, 04:39 AM
He was intent upon buying pickles for his lively lover – she had demanded of him to procure such tasty delights. After purchasing the treats he made his way home. The noises he heard upon entering indicated an activity going on that could not be mistaken. He had been cuckold.

New Words: Politic, enhance, pillow

ColinLadd
01-19-2007, 08:52 AM
She emerged from the afterglow, reconstructing phrases the intern had used.

"You're realistic," he continued, "about this tryst?"

Her eyes caught his smirk.

"Pillow talk. A chance to enhance your position..." she said, coldly, "most politic."

She straddled, him, crushing his balls in her fist.

"That's Madam President to you!"

Blue, echoes, street.

That Sheldrake Woman
01-22-2007, 09:36 AM
He watched Sandra walk down the street, her blue dress caressing her swaying hips the way his hands used to. "C’est la vie," he murmured, lighting up a cigarette. Echoes of their life together before she finally walked out reverberated through his mind. "No," his corrected himself. "C’est la guerre."

New words: argue, dumpster, delicious

msQTpi
01-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Five garbage bags. He wouldn't take them to the dumpster? She hated to argue, so kept quiet. Her delicious Italian meal was ruined. Who could eat while that odor hung in the air?

He bound through the trailer door and asked, "Collards and egg-salad?"

She started to cry.

New Words: Forward, Paisley, Vase

mooncars
01-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Never bet on a paisley horse named Immortality. How often Clystia heard her Mother say that! How often Clystia shunned such sage advice! She felt nauseous stepping forward to pawn her Ming Dynasty vase for mere pittance. The door opened, then shut. Later, Clystia would return to bludgeon the pawnbroker.

New challenge words: range, edelweiss, derelict

PattiTheWicked
01-24-2007, 06:15 PM
When I found my grandfather, he was living as a derelict under a bridge. Until then I'd known him as a man in a sepia-tinted photograph, wearing his bomber jacket and standing on the flight range. He wore a sprig of edelweiss stolen from a dead German outside LeHavre.

New words: nugget, firefly, angst

wm_bookworm
01-27-2007, 08:22 PM
My heart was filled with angst as I continued to pan the river, getting the same results as I had for weeks: no gold. I turned to leave, but something caught my eye. The glow of a firefly was glimmering on something in the water: my first nugget of gold!

New words: eclipse, turmoil, frigid

san_remo_ave
01-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Susan was an absolute wreck, but you wouldn't know it just by looking at her. Her frigid exterior efficiently hid a soul in turmoil. A simple cold shoulder disguised her anger from a coworker's careless comments. A glatial stare kept the friendlier folks from getting to know her better. But nothing could eclipse the fiery passion that Ernest triggered in her.

New words: pirate, pickle, petunia

msQTpi
01-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Petunia was in a pickle. Adrift and down to her last slimjim, she contemplated the lonely painful death awaiting her.

"Thirsty. So weak.... Damn pirates and their superstitions...women on ships.... He was no Depp, but...."

"Petunia! Wake up!"

"Hmmm..."

"Good Lord, Girl. Did you eat ALL those slimjims?"

New words: rollers, deer, slippers

limitedtimeauthor
01-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Myrna stepped out onto the frostbit porch, still in just her robe and slippers. As she eyed the sheriff, her hand flitted to the rollers in her hair. He wasn't the handsomest sheriff they had, but he warnt the worst, neither.

"Myrna, where’s Hart?"

"Why? He been poachin' deer?"

superfluous, frightening, tape

GeneBrighton
02-07-2007, 01:33 AM
A small bit of bright, shiny paper was caught in the clear tape stuck to the underside of the dining room table. There was nothing superfluous about it. It confirmed what the old woman had been too frightened to admit. The explosive package that killed her lover was prepared here.

nugget, swollen, invective

(oops)

rosebud1981
08-15-2007, 06:17 AM
Reviving an old thread here, but this looks like fun :hi:

Jane slowed at the traffic light and eased her foot off the clutch. In the mirror she admired her swollen eye. To draw even the smallest nugget of shame from him called for true invective. She glanced at the dried blood on her fingernails and put the car into gear.

culture, square, noble

akiwiguy
08-15-2007, 12:06 PM
John took some of the culture from the pietre dish and smeared it onto a slide. The bacteria were unmistakeable, almost square in shape. He murmered, "A noble thing that I do in the name of science", then slid his tongue over the slide. He groaned as the metamorphosis began.

space, inferno, hatred

Backward Masking
08-15-2007, 09:25 PM
"You're wanting me to ride Inferno?" asked Roland, nervousness apparent in his voice. His fears were well warranted, for the horse known as Inferno was rumored to have been bred of pure hatred. Years of being confined in a small space had surely contributed to Inferno's nasty reputation as well.

mosaic, facade, madness

wyoming_dreams
08-28-2007, 08:25 PM
She was two hours late, everyone else was already there. As she greeted him she knew his light banter, teasing her for her tardiness was merely a façade. Later tonight his madness would have free reign.His personality a mosaic of spite and hate; and she, once again, its target.

worth tasty interest

Harimum
09-02-2007, 12:24 AM
It just wouldn’t be worth it, she thought. Sure, the pizza looked tasty but if she was going to fit into that little black dress and capture the interest of the handsome bar tender this weekend she would have to be strong and stick to her diet! Sarah sighed wistfully!

Iceberg cigar chair

Chumplet
09-02-2007, 02:26 AM
Cedric settled in the teak deck chair and inhaled deeply on his cigar. Stars glittered above him, competing with the festive lights along the railing. When Catherine passed, her fox wrap provocatively draped along her back, he almost didn't feel the shudder of the ship when it hit the iceburg.

Dog Slipper Football

leenakincaid
12-14-2007, 01:10 PM
I hook the leash to my dog’s collar and we go for a walk. The day is a normal, cloudy gray day. We walk to the park, where teenagers are playing football and their boyfriends are arguing about different brands of slippers. The football glides past my head, scaring Rex.

ticket communication Peru

Joycecwilliams
12-14-2007, 05:38 PM
"Here's your ticket. Now off to Peru, and make sure you keep up communication with the office."
"Fine" I said and headed towards the door, wondering if my editor knows my ex-lover is waiting in the car.
"You ready?" Juan asks while holding the door open.
“As ever” I reply

orange, Christmas, weight

kdnxdr
12-15-2007, 07:27 AM
It was Christmas Eve. My five dollars looked sad. After an embarrassing purchase of gas for three dollars, I entered the store with the weight of a "mission impossible". Red and green blurred and all I could see was orange. Miraculously, the price tag of my last gift read, "$1.50".

next words: tinsel, letter, crackling

andrewhollinger
12-15-2007, 10:51 AM
I remember stars. I spent much of that evening on my back just staring up. Strange thing is they reminded me of tinsel, like on a Christmas tree--a happy time. So different from that night. Just me and her letter, crackling in the embers. I was alone.

pummeled, kosher, rights (have fun ;) )

kdnxdr
12-15-2007, 11:48 PM
After being pummeled with rocks, I limped home to care for my wounds. In this country, a Kosher boy has rights! I vowed that night to set my sights on a law degree, whatever the cost.

next: ticket, obtruse, pomgranite

Tony_LaRocca
12-16-2007, 05:46 AM
Bob, riding in his shiny, obtuse car carved from a ten-foot wide pomegranate, got a ticket for driving produce without a license. He won the case by bribing the judge with an extra large fruit basket. Sadly, the fruit was huge because they were radioactive, and everyone died of cancer.

next: pompous, obese, cactus

Joycecwilliams
12-19-2007, 08:23 PM
William began to gather his belonging on his desk, even the cactus. God he hated that plant. For a moment, he thought of putting it on Jack’s chair, but figured his pompous ex-boss wouldn't feel a thing. The only thing bigger than Jack’s obese body was his head. Fat idiot!

withdraw, romance, grapefruit

choppersmom
12-20-2007, 06:07 AM
A plant sat on a windowsill, watching romance bloom, a family expand, a middle-aged wife eat grapefruit to try and keep her girlish figure. It watched children grow up and withdraw from the bosom of their family. After years of watching, it got up and killed everybody.

The End

after, Madagascar, conglomerate

oneblindmouse
12-21-2007, 07:46 PM
After eighteen years employment for a heartless development conglomerate, Jake was ready for a new life. As he watched the approaching coastline, he asked himself whether Madagascar would provide the adventure he craved or whether he had burned all his boats to no avail.

clouds, respect, delinquent

rosebud1981
12-21-2007, 09:47 PM
clouds, respect, delinquent

Darkness spilled over the land as the clouds folded upon themselves. Without a hint of respect for the dying sheaths of light that poured through the cracks they brought the onset of night. Delinquent drops of rain trickled over the dry rock and vanished into the black depths.

Spooky, heartfelt, clambering

choppersmom
12-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Spooky made an extremely heartfelt flounce a couple of weeks ago, but he soon missed all his friends, so he came clambering back into the forums, biting wit intact.

diamond, woodpecker, nonpareil

oneblindmouse
12-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Taking the engagement ring - a nonpareil diamond of untold carats - in her trembling fingers, Samantha was at a loss for words. Suddenly, a woodpecker swooped down from an overhanging branch, snatched the ring up in its beak and flew off. "Blimey!" she cried.

diffident, embezzle, sunset

Nymtoc
12-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Targill had gotten past that diffident local accountant, and he’d get past the corporate accountants too. “Embezzle” was just a word. With $30,000 in his briefcase he walked out the door of Gransco Corp. into a golden sunset and a rosy future.

"Stop,” said the guard. “I’ll take that briefcase.”

:cool:

seethe, margarine, decrepit

Kerr
12-25-2007, 08:11 AM
Oh, it made Marjorie just seethe to see all those lard-asses slathering margarine over their biscuits. Here she was a decrepit old woman, yet the more expensive butter she insisted on using had never gathered like a lump on her waist.

list, book, spontaneity

Nymtoc
12-25-2007, 12:24 PM
“It’s in the book!” How often had Natalie heard that? “Look it up!” “Make a list!” How she hated her mother’s nagging! She stepped on the gas. Soon she would be out of town, in two hours out of the state. From this moment on, life would be all spontaneity.

:rolleyes:

muddle, originate, affluent

Pthom
12-28-2007, 01:45 AM
Henry managed to muddle his way through the essay. Barely.

“On how theories originate.”

Bah! They’re just made up, aren’t they? Like Einstein's or Darwin's. Or that school board's in where? Pennsylvania? Or was it Ohio? Didn’t matter. He only wanted to become affluent. And that’s what school’s for. Right?

trounce, truant, trust

Nymtoc
12-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Bernie only wanted to trounce Richie. And he did, left him bleeding. That’s why he skipped school Friday, and now they called him a truant. It wasn’t fair! Life wasn’t fair! All he was asking for was a little trust. He couldn’t wait till he got out of fourth grade.

:box:

Sentimental outrage craft

Pthom
12-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Fred wasn't sentimental. Irene, his girlfriend, was. It was an outrage, she said, to even suggest not repairing a broken bit of her great aunt Wilma's china. The old woman had brought it all the way from the old country. Fred became a master at the craft of pottery repair.

hovel valise goulash

oneblindmouse
12-28-2007, 12:55 PM
After hours trudging through the forest, Hermione spotted a tumbledown shack with smoke arising from the chimney. No one answered her knock, so she pushed the door open. Staggering into the [B]hovel, she put down her valise in a corner and looked around. God! That goulash smelled good!

bone, erudition, grandiose

Nymtoc
12-29-2007, 01:49 AM
Let those fools accuse him of having grandiose ideas. Carstairs knew his discovery would bring him recognition at last, maybe even the Nobel Prize! This was a toe bone of an ichthyopterosaurus, despite what those asses in the Paleontology Department said. When it came to erudition, he had no peers.

:Lecture:

casserole cerise climb

Pthom
01-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Dan's eyes burned with the after-image of Evelyn’s cerise sweater long after she had stalked out of the apartment, slamming the door behind her. The casserole in his hands was cold, its contents inedible, but he wished he could take back his words and climb into the hardening glop inside.

quality benefit sorrowfully

Nymtoc
01-04-2008, 03:34 AM
"Your children need quality time, Ms. Spears," said the judge. "Having considered all aspects of your case, I don't believe they will benefit by continuing in your custody. I am awarding them to Mr. Federline." Sorrowfully, the diva left the courtroom, careful to turn her best side to the cameras.

:(

bolt miniature disgorge

Pthom
01-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Jackson racked back the bolt of the Winchester, inserted a cartridge and aimed at the base of a bush above the canopy of the miniature jump jet hidden in the bushes. He would wait another ten minutes, fire a warning shot. If that didn’t cause the jet to disgorge Melrose . . .

bucket education wilted

Nymtoc
01-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Jason sighed. Solving a quadratic equation was a hell of a lot harder than shooting a bucket. But if he couldn't learn algebra, how was he ever going to get a decent education? He felt stymied, finished, like those stupid flowers on Mrs. Gilhooley's desk. Look--they had already wilted!

:e2cry:

traipse aphrodisiac canoe

oneblindmouse
01-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Traipsing reluctantly after Wilfrid towards the canoe waiting for them on the river, Maud wondered if the aphrodisiac hidden in her bag would work on her as well.

doggerel, ham-fisted, weasel

Stormhawk
01-05-2008, 01:25 AM
Embarrassment still burned on her cheeks, she couldn't look at him after that doggerel and ham-fisted display. Having him impress her parents had seemed such a good idea.

He squeezed her hand. 'I love you. Sorry I'm such a clumsy weasel.'

'Love, baked Alaska is supposed to be on fire.'

(50 exactly! Hope it's ok).

Next words: tree, gun, ocean

Pthom
01-05-2008, 01:53 AM
High in the tree, Bobby could understand why the squirrels came up here. Up here they were safe from crazy old Gary and his gun. But Gary sometimes shot them dead, anyway. It’d be better to be a sea gull, he decided, and fly far away out over the ocean.

restaurant batik philosophy

kdnxdr
01-05-2008, 06:37 AM
Leaning back on the large batik pillows, Laura surveyed the decor of the retro restaurant they were dining in that evening. "So, this is the kind of place my mom and her hippie friends would hang out and talk their anti-establishment philosophy". "The place is so "wanna-be", but definately "isn't"".

chrome, crimson, cyclone

Pthom
01-05-2008, 12:32 PM
There wasn't a lot of chrome on the old Merc, but that was okay. It was one of the last muscle cars, a crimson 1970 Cyclone (http://www.jephtasclassiccars.com/cars/1970/merc-cyclone%20spoiler70.jpeg). Everything about it was stock, too, except that someone had re-upholstered the seats in black leather. Mary Alice smiled. George Riley, he was okay.

Stormhawk
01-05-2008, 04:19 PM
...you forgot to put up new words...

Pthom
01-06-2008, 05:13 AM
Damn, I did, too. Many profuse apologies.

next prompt words:

surf plywood avocado

Nymtoc
01-06-2008, 08:18 AM
They piled more furniture in front of the windows. "It's a tsunami!” Melanie said. “The surf's still rising!" Jim knew there was nothing they could do in this ramshackle plywood shack. On the table, the avocado plant they had been raising looked pathetic, doomed--just like the two of them.

:Wha:

stentorian caramel devaluate

Keyan
01-06-2008, 03:53 PM
-------------------------

"Peru," he said, waving his ticket at the webcam. "Machu Picchu, Cuzco, Nazca."
"Like that?" she said as though she didn't really care.
"Like that," he replied gently, not fooled.
Stay, she would have said, but the words that came out were "Bon voyage."
"Thanks."
That was his last communication.

Keyan
01-06-2008, 03:53 PM
-------------------------

"Peru," he said, waving his ticket at the webcam. "Cuzco, Nazca, Machu Picchu."
"Like that?" she said as though she didn't really care.
"Like that," he replied gently, not fooled.
Stay, she would have said, but the words that came out were "Bon voyage."
"Thanks."
That was his last communication.

Pthom
01-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Um, Keyan? The prompt words you used are old: they were on the bottom of page 1, and this is page 3. Care to try again? Also, you need to provide the next three prompts (as was so painfully pointed out to yours truly).

Nymtoc
01-10-2008, 12:32 PM
It looks as if Keyan isn't going to respond, so maybe we can go back to my prompts and get this thread moving again.

OK?

:D

stentorian caramel devaluate

Pthom
01-11-2008, 01:47 AM
“Red hots!” The vendor's stentorian tones carried over the roar of the crowd. “Get ’em while they’re hot!”

“Two,” I called to him. “Got any caramel apples?”

“What, ya think this is a friggin’ carnival? Don’t devaluate my damn job, hey.” He tossed me two dogs. “That’s six bucks pal.”

------------
cobbler tanned lyrical

Nymtoc
01-11-2008, 02:45 AM
Ned didn't care if "cobbler" was an old-fashioned word. That's what he was, damn it, and he wasn't going to fancy it up. The tanned leather he used was the best, and despite the mass-produced crap that turned up at Wal-Mart, he felt lyrical about doing an honest day's work.

:Trophy:

ganglia roustabout plum

Paichka
01-11-2008, 03:51 PM
The ancient carnival roustabout’s wrinkled hands shook – not nerves, but shattered ganglia from a lifetime of drinking fermented Jamaica ginger. “My legs will go next, sonny,” he said. “Your legs went ages ago, Mr. Jackson,” the nurse murmured, and fed him another spoonful of plum pudding.

anvil gargantuan piecemeal

Pthom
01-12-2008, 01:51 AM
Adrian regarded the old rusted anvil with dismay. No one had worked the ruined blacksmith shop in a long time. Some gargantuan thing had been here, and whatever it was, it had been thorough. It would be a piecemeal operation, but just maybe he could the forge working by tomorrow.

hectare sawyer anlace

Nymtoc
01-12-2008, 02:09 AM
Dr. Kraus sharpened the anlace he had removed from the museum. Some medieval sawyer might have used it on an enemy, and now he would use it on Reinhold, that fool who had prevented his promotion! Soon, on that swampy hectare near the university, someone would discover Reinhold's decapitated corpse!

:e2teeth:

respiratory hatchet misty

Joycecwilliams
01-13-2008, 09:46 PM
respiratory hatchet misty

Misty's career as a respiratory therapist ended when she received the hatchet from the hospital administrator. He accused her not giving proper treatment to Mrs. Carroll which caused her death. Misty enters his office to state her case, only to find an alive Mrs. Carroll and administrator in an embrace.

cannister, epoxy, dolent

Nymtoc
01-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Would the epoxy hold? Father John wasn't sure, but in such times he relied on an old prayer: "O Lord, though I be dolent and afraid, hear me when I call to thee..." It was essential that the canister containing the knife remain sealed until Sister Margaret's body was discovered.

:Wha:

metamorphosis fluffy inspire

nerds
01-13-2008, 11:14 PM
The metamorphosis of Lisa's fluffy butterfly into the man of her dreams was enough to inspire her best friend Gennifer to also try psylocybin mushrooms.

macaroon/leverage/downpour

joyce
01-13-2008, 11:21 PM
With some leverage Amos was able to get the car off the bag of groceries. When the bag was free he sat happily in the downpour eating the package of macaroons.

palmtree - carnage - dumpling

nerds
01-13-2008, 11:31 PM
The carnage left behind after the Attack of the Killer Dumplings was like nothing seen before. They even ate the palmtrees.

snowshoes/soap/curtain

joyce
01-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Debbie's feet were so swollen she had to soap them up to slip the snowshoes on. Once her feet were dressed, she hid behind the curtain waiting.

squirrel - grapefruit - trout

nerds
01-14-2008, 02:24 AM
She watched the squirrel outside her window with a growing sense of dread. Would this be the day the trout came to get her grapefruit? No one had ever been able to control the trout. And now, she heard the ominous flapping of gills at her door.

cigarette/ravioli/roadster

joyce
01-14-2008, 02:36 AM
She dabbed the cigarette out in her plate of ravioli. If she was lucky, tonight he would pull up in his roadster and take her to a Mexican restaurant.

hurricane - lips - tomatoe

Pthom
01-14-2008, 03:06 AM
Um. Isn't this challenge to include the three prompt words in a passage that is 50 words long? Several of the previous entries were awfully short. ;)

Gloria entered the ball room, a whirlwind of taffeta and pearls, and like hurricane Katrina laid waste to New Orleans, within an hour, Gloria had broken the hearts of most of the men there. And not a few of the women. Mitch pursed his lips and whistled, “She’s some tomato!

hang root repercussion

nerds
01-14-2008, 03:12 AM
Um. Isn't this challenge to include the three prompt words in a passage that is 50 words long? Several of the previous entries were awfully short.

I will be sure to count every word in future. 49 okay? No? Okay. Care shall be exercised, no worries.

choppersmom
01-14-2008, 03:44 AM
hang root repercussion

Hang the word count! The root of the game is to come in under fifty words. There should be no repercussions for making your entry shorter.

How's THAT?

nerds
01-14-2008, 03:59 AM
The hang of it all was that the root repercussion of the problem went unnoticed. "More words", the root repercussionist proclaimed. "We are not like percussionists! We needs must make more, more, more! Ye are too short by half! Why say in a few what we may say with numerous!?"

word total = 50

chaos/spaghetti/date

Pthom
01-14-2008, 04:22 AM
Hey, I'm just following directions as originally posted:
Here's a fun challenge for anyone who wants to dip their quill... Tell me a story or describe a scene in fifty words. ...The emphasis is mine.

It seems to me that the challenge is greater when there are more limitations, not fewer. It's kind of like going out in the big world with a manuscript: You follow the rules set by the publisher you're trying to woo, or you get a terse rejection.

I don't really care how you play these games, y'know? As long as it's all polite and stuff. A lot of people work hard to get the thing to fit exactly into fifty words, and I got slammed once or twice for "doing the game wrong" in another thread. But really, the only one who suffers from not following the directions . . . is the one who doesn't.

choppersmom
01-14-2008, 04:35 AM
Hey, I'm just following directions as originally posted:The emphasis is mine.

It seems to me that the challenge is greater when there are more limitations, not fewer. It's kind of like going out in the big world with a manuscript: You follow the rules set by the publisher you're trying to woo, or you get a terse rejection.

I don't really care how you play these games, y'know? As long as it's all polite and stuff. A lot of people work hard to get the thing to fit exactly into fifty words, and I got slammed once or twice for "doing the game wrong" in another thread. But really, the only one who suffers from not following the directions . . . is the one who doesn't.

I understand your point, Pthom, really, I do, but it's a game. We're having fun. I really can't wrap my brain around equating it with submissions to a publisher. Even the strictest publisher will forgive a writer for submitting a story that is 74,872 words when they ask for 75,000. The only ones who suffer from spoiling the fun other people are having are the spoilers, y'know? And I don't mean you, I'm referring to the ones who slammed you for "doing it wrong." That makes no sense at all to me. I could see if a player went way over 50 words, but under? Come on. Just sayin'. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know anything anymore. Can't we all just get along?? :D

choppersmom
01-14-2008, 04:38 AM
chaos/spaghetti/date

Chaos reigns when rules are not followed. From the simplest task to the most complex; from the boiling of spaghetti to the construction of a supertower; from getting a date to getting a promotion; protocol is all, self-expression is nothing. Remember this, my child, before you break another rule.

birds/rocks/rubber

nerds
01-14-2008, 04:45 AM
Hey, I'm just following directions as originally posted:The emphasis is mine.

But really, the only one who suffers from not following the directions . . . is the one who doesn't.

I wasn't suffering at all. I'm still not. Fun was being had. But I will be sure to count every word in future and submit exactly 50 words or none at all.

nerds
01-14-2008, 04:55 AM
birds/rocks/rubber

The birds' rubber rocks were nothing against David's slingshot. He thought about how he could employ another thirty-three words, since he had so quickly prevailed. He decided to go down to the Winn Dixie, where he knew that rubber calzones were on sale. They did indeed fit slingshot perfectly.

choppersmom
01-14-2008, 05:02 AM
Umm, Nerdsy Words?

Words??

nerds
01-14-2008, 05:04 AM
oops, sorry Mom.

I was so busy with precise word count and all . . .

motorcycle/pie/denouement

choppersmom
01-14-2008, 05:13 AM
Thank you!!

motorcycle/pie/denouement

Pat climbed off his motorcycle and headed for the kitchen, wondering if Trisha had left him any key lime pie from yesterday's dinner. The denouement to the situation came when he realized that not only was there no more pie, but he had also forgotten to put the kickstand down.

carry/plaque/aerodrome

joyce
01-14-2008, 05:18 AM
:Shrug:I guess I was one who broke the rules. I was having fun and did not realize that we were suppose to have exactly 50 words. I thought we just had to come in under 50 words and use the listed words. I apologize to all if I went and messed up your game. From this moment forward, I promise not to play this certain game ever again.
P.S. Sorry I went over the word count here.

nerds
01-14-2008, 05:29 AM
joyce, you were fine, it was me. I take full responsibility. Awful, isn't it? I don't know how I'll live with the shame of it all.

joyce
01-14-2008, 05:31 AM
joyce, you were fine, it was me. I take full responsibility. Awful, isn't it? I don't know how I'll live with the shame of it all.
26 words,you're under

nerds
01-14-2008, 05:35 AM
The aerodrome was so encrusted with snowy plaque that no one knew how the planes might carry it all. The grounded pilots were out of words and so they played Scrabble to pass the time. Occasionally, they entered the rest room to brush the plaque off their teeth. Hard times.

cumulus/arcane/baker (sounds like a license plate on COPS)

nerds
01-14-2008, 05:36 AM
26 words,you're under

:roll:

Take me away. Put me in the awfullest dungeon ye have, for that is what I deserve and no less.

choppersmom
01-14-2008, 05:45 AM
cumulus/arcane/baker (sounds like a license plate on COPS)

"Cumulus, Arcane, Baker, Five Seven Two," came the crisply barked words from the radio.

"Hey, Bubba, ain't that him, right up there at the Winn-Dixie?" said Sergeant Sylvester.

"You mean that beat-up little pickup truck? I reckon yore right," replied Officer Ollie, wiping the sweat from his brow.

gilded/married/jovial

nerds
01-14-2008, 06:31 AM
The jovial Baron deBiscuit married the lovely Princess of Gilded Lands in a private ceremony yesterday.

"Do you take her hand in the lawful 50 words or under?" asked the Bishop.

"Why yes, of course, Bishop."

And the Princess replied, "No, no, I cannot convey anything under 50 words, nay!"

criminal/monkey/defamation

choppersmom
01-14-2008, 07:38 AM
criminal/monkey/defamation

It's hardly criminal to wish for the punishment of zombie-like, sockpuppet monkeys who concern themselves, not with fair play, but with the defamation of their guileless, innocent compatriots. After all, if one were to try to be fair to one group, another might take serious offense at your actions.

swamp/helmet/iPod

nerds
01-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Prince Helmet of the Swamp listened closely to his Ipod. It seemed to be saying Da Doo Ron Ron Da Doo Ron Ron.

What could this mean, he wondered. Just then, several purple swamp frogs appeared at his feet.

"Kiss us!" they demanded. He did, and lived happily ever after.

arcane/mellifluous/sartorial

HeronW
01-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Arcane music wafted in mellifuous tones from the tower. "A princess must live here in solitary satorial splendor!" the knight imagined. Climbing the walls, and over the sill he stopped, agast in the empty room.

The inner walls held teeth. They closed.

Armored effluvia fell, gas escaped as musical notes.

portend, Saskatchewan, moray

Nymtoc
01-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Alicia shivered. "Is it a monster, Daddy?"

"It's a moray eel. Some of them are thirteen feet long."

"I don't like this place."

This was the finest aquarium in Saskatchewan, and nothing was working. Hank only got to see his daughter on weekends, and this visit didn't portend anything good.

singularity taffy revolt

Pthom
01-15-2008, 12:42 AM
“When you said this thing could photograph a singularity,” Jonathan said, “I thought you were kidding. What clarity!”

Marybeth smiled. On the monitor, the black hole pulled on the dying galaxy like it was warm taffy. She looked up. “Only a Bolivian revolt could prevent our getting the grant now.”

-----

hay devastation checkers

HeronW
01-15-2008, 02:13 AM
(with a nod to Ingmar Bergman-name that film!)

Sitting on hay bales amid the devastation of central Europe dying from the Black Death, a knight played chess with Death.

"I shall win with bishop and rook," the knight proclaimed.

Death nodded moving to castle.

A mailed foot moved, Death's scythe slipped, the board fell.

"Let's play checkers instead."

Nymtoc
01-15-2008, 04:29 AM
The film, of course, is The Seventh Seal.

and your prompts are...?

1 :D
2 :D
3 :D

HeronW
01-15-2008, 06:54 PM
merde (swearing in French doesn't count)

osprey /habit/ tetrahedron

Pthom
01-15-2008, 11:06 PM
An osprey circled overhead--the lake was nearby. Out of habit Gillian oriented to north. The hawk, and therefore the lake, was in the southeast, so the road to Gilberton was--

An actinic blue tetrahedron blocked her path. Gillian felt cold, and an all- over tingling. Then everything went dark.

----------
help ink machine

Nymtoc
01-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Taking a job she knew nothing about had been incredibly stupid. Now Ethel was going to need help to run this complicated machine. That guy with the ink-stained overalls--did he know anything?

"You!" she called. "Can you help me with this?"

The man responded with a gap-toothed, idiotic grin.

;)

calamitous shrew pistachio

akiwiguy
01-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Roger’s admission to hospital signaled a calamitous end to a marriage from hell. He’d once boasted that he’d tame the shrew. But as the ambulance departed, she sat chewing on a pistachio and remarked in a deep sinister tone, “No man has been born whose nuts I could not crush.”

... next words in a minute, thinking.

akiwiguy
01-16-2008, 12:30 AM
immoral, fortuitous, resignation

HeronW
01-16-2008, 12:41 AM
His immoral actions notwithstanding, Reginald thought the timing of the stock market collapse most fortuitous. He could bury the bad bonds, slip false fronts onto corporate holdings and thence into his offshore accounts. Riding the crash to the bottom he'd hand in his resignation, and be off cash in hand.

Stately obnoxious fumigate

Pthom
01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
When the pest control team arrived at the stately mansion, they had no idea of how obnoxious the job would become. They were to fumigate the basement--there was an infestation of rats--but the basement was full of the decaying remains of what had once been the homeowners’ relatives.

----------
wordy treacle insouciant

Nymtoc
01-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Ah, the insouciant days of youth, Abner thought as he pored over the musty volumes. Now, back bent, he was forced to work with wordy tomes, culling the good from the bad, the profound from the treacle, just so his employer, Mrs. Frimpwell, could claim to have a personal librarian.

:e2bummed:

lute, rambunctious, prowl

Pthom
01-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Abner knew, however, that Mrs. Frimpwell kept a lute stashed somewhere in the house. He’d heard her play it, and not very well. Feeling rambunctious, he went on the prowl in search of it. What fun it would be to see her face when she discovered it smashed beyond repair!

----------
punishment
solitude
revenge

Nymtoc
01-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Till now, in a life filled with solitude, Abner had never wanted to inflict punishment on others. He was a peaceful man. Yet something about Mrs. Frimpwell--her haughtiness, her disdain for those she considered socially beneath her--made him increasingly determined to seek revenge. That would be sweet indeed.
:gone:

lightweight, spouse, deter

Pthom
01-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Finding the lute wasn't difficult; it was in the pantry. Expecting it to be lightweight, Abner was surprised to discover it improbably heavy. He peered inside. The instrument was full of gold coins. And a note:
“To my darling spouse. This is our inheritance. Find a way to deter burglars.”

----------
regulation termination restitution

Nymtoc
01-16-2008, 10:52 PM
The lute was a regulation instrument, not an antique. But where had those gold coins come from? Carstairs Frimpwell had been a banker. Had he laundered money? That might explain his mysterious termination from the stock exchange. If Abner could effect restitution of whatever Frimpwell stole, he might become rich!

:Guitar:

shadowy, plant, intone

Pthom
01-17-2008, 01:30 AM
Just then, Mrs. Frimpwell’s footsteps on the stairs. No time to put the lute back into the shadowy pantry; she was already in the hall. Abner ducked behind a potted plant.
Frimpwell stopped--Abner held his breath--picked up the intercom and began to intone: “Abner, come to the library.”

----------
basketry locket accounting

Nymtoc
01-17-2008, 01:46 AM
What had he gotten himself into? Hiding the lute behind a collection of native American basketry, Abner approached the library, trying to appear calm. Mrs. Frimpwell stood there glowering, her famous diamond-studded locket glittering on her breast. She was obviously not pleased. There was going to be a fearsome accounting.

determination, marble, allay

Pthom
01-17-2008, 02:55 AM
“I can’t seem to get this locket off,” she said. “Would you take a look, please?”
Abner hadn’t expected this. With determination, he managed to undo the clasp, but the locket fell to the floor. Like a marble, it rolled under the sofa. Her laughter served to allay his fears.

----------
pocket conundrum vegetables

Nymtoc
01-17-2008, 03:27 AM
Reaching into his pocket, Abner pulled out the mini-flashlight he had won in a contest last year for his limerick about frozen vegetables. He looked under the sofa for the locket. He found it quickly. When he handed it to Mrs. Frimpwell, she smiled almost flirtatiously. She was a conundrum.

dartboard, engender, whisk

Pthom
01-17-2008, 05:03 AM
“Will that be all, ma’am?” Abner’s mind was on the gold. He eyed the dartboard.

“Not all, Abner.” Mrs. Frimpwell stood hipshot, undoing her blouse. “Call me Edna.”

Edna? And what did she hope to engender by stripping? Abner spied the whisk broom near the fireplace. A poor weapon, still--

----------
dust hesitation mirth

Nymtoc
01-17-2008, 05:24 AM
Still, where did his best interests really lie? Hesitation might improve his chances of ending up with the gold. Casually, he reached for a first edition of Edith Wharton’s “The House of Mirth.” Brushing dust from its cover, he said, “Do you like this book as much as I do…Edna?”

:e2flowers

conservatory, salient, moon

Pthom
01-17-2008, 06:33 AM
“Book shmook.” Frimpwell dropped her skirt. “Let’s blow this conservatory. Have some fun!” She sashayed around seductively.

“Somewhere particular?” Abner had to admit he was attracted to her salient features.

“My room, big boy?” She crashed into the sofa, fell over the arm, treating Abner to a nice full moon.

----------
garage blanket porkchop

Nymtoc
01-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Two hours later, Abner untangled himself from her alpaca blanket. “Booby,” she said, “Let’s go take a drive.” Good Lord, hadn’t she had enough action for one day? He tottered out to the garage. They’d drive to Kentucky Roast Pig, where he could revive himself with a porkchop and fries.

:e2yawn:

suspend, monument, bourgeois

Pthom
01-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Abner found it difficult to suspend his disbelief of Mrs. Frimpwell’s recent bedroom behavior. But her sexual athleticism aside, she was still an effete snob. At least, the lute was safe in the pantry. Warming up the Bentley, he smiled. The gold would far outshine this monument to bourgeois society.

----------
pear pare pair

Nymtoc
01-17-2008, 09:38 PM
The pair had barely set out when Frimpwell ordered him to stop at a fruit stand. “No pork for me! I have to watch my figure!” As they headed back down the road she began to pare a pear. It was golden—just like those coins hidden in the lute.

:e2paperba

obdurate thistle gallimaufry

Pthom
01-17-2008, 11:26 PM
The image of all that gold flooded Abner’s his mind. He had to ditch her somehow, but she was obdurate about driving. Soon, looking out the window, he began to see ways to snuff her. A picket fence, a guard dog, even a thistle, they became a gallimaufry of weapons.

----------
obstacle portend ragout

Nymtoc
01-18-2008, 01:17 AM
But Abner wasn’t going to act rashly. A foolish move would be more than an obstacle to his goal. It could portend disaster. His best course of action was to go along with Frimpwell’s wishes, at least for now. His plans were starting to simmer, like onions in a ragout.

:hat:

Movie, consign, hackneyed

HeronW
01-18-2008, 02:05 AM
The movie is crap, I consign my body to the theatre seat for ninty-five minutes wishing I am anywhere but watching this hackneyed excuse for a makeover. The script is drivel, the actors likely wished they had other options like a lemming suicide. I may just kill the director.

Manganese knight encore

Pthom
01-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Stan stared glumly at the board. His position was horrible. Ivan, his opponent, looking bored and sure of himself, toyed with the polished manganese Walther. Ivan's knight covered every possible move and to Stan, the outcome looked bleak. If Stan couldn’t save his Queen, this game would have no encore.

----------
restless gargantuan fragile

HeronW
01-19-2008, 03:18 PM
The restless guard watched the gargantuan beast. The massive dragon picked at his meal of condemned prisoners' parts with the fragile-appearing tips of the great claws. A belch came shaking the walls, tearing the old banners and wilting the hardy weeds that had stood through three wars and a dozen assorted sorties.

appertif karst conundrum

Pthom
01-21-2008, 03:19 AM
Watching Averill sip her aperitif, Carter thought she had to be the most beautiful creature on Earth. What a shame that by morning, her brain would be hooked up in a machine directing the destruction of the surrounding karst, exposing its underground streams. It was a conundrum: horrible, but necessary.

scarify, nitrous, mossy

HeronW
01-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Watching her warriors scarify themselves in preparation for the battle, the Queen stood in respect for those willing to die. At a table, her mage mixed a nitrous compound for the final assault. On the mossy hillock, the Queen oversaw the last preparations. No more mercy, no hope, no surrender.

liquify
meander
tonsil

Kerr
01-22-2008, 10:46 PM
A little green-eyed blond beauty, I thought, if one held her down long enough to liquefy some of the crusted filth. From a distance, I watched her meander into a corner, eying me, head back in a toothy growl, her swollen tonsil showing.

Kerr
01-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Sorry. A clamor for food interrupted my concentration. LOL

New words: gusty, encompass, brevity

HeronW
01-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Gusty winds encompass the field of honor. Hamilton nods, his second passes over the pistol. He checks the sight, aiming at the bougainvillea. The brevity of his bow to Dorset falls a hair short of churlish. Hamilton ignores the other's domino mask, the man certainly wears his hair too long...

Fandangle
horseradish
pegnoir

Pthom
01-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Mandy loved the retro-ska band, Fandangle. She danced around the kitchen, made a fried okra and horseradish sandwich. Hot and spicy, like her mood. Back in the front room, she ignored the open draperies or the fact that her lavender peignoir was transparent. She turned up the volume and danced.

opener clock erased

HeronW
01-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Sounds were too loud for Fred. The can opener whirred like a fleet of F-16 Tomcats. The grandfather clock ticked off doomsday clacks. He couldn't take it anymore. One last sound, he could stand it. The snick as the trigger racheted back then BOOM and all the noise was erased.

farrago
dipper
emu

jessicaorr
01-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Thad stared up at the enormous Texas sky. A thousand stars lit the night sky as the Big Dipper poured stardust over him. A farrago of Ratites scratched at the red dust and searched for place to bed down. “Emu- it’s the other white meat! What a load of crap.”

And next....

coffee
lotion
mushroom

HeronW
01-25-2008, 06:07 PM
The coffee cup from last night lay cracked on the floor. An over-turned bottle of lotion beside had it leaked out causing an oily stain shaped like a mushroom. Jan's hand struck out a third time, finally connecting with the annoying alarm clock. The timepiece smacked the wall, whining down.

HeronW
01-26-2008, 12:55 AM
castigate
mumblety-peg
zucchini

Pthom
02-18-2008, 04:47 AM
Near tears, Darrel found Tommy playing mumblety-peg. “I’m dead,” he said.

“What?” Tommy wiped the knife on his jeans.

“Look.” Darrel handed Tommy the take-home note. “Miss Fogarty’s gonna cut off my zucchini.”

Tommy read it, then laughed. “This says she had to ‘castigate’ you for talking, again. That’s all.”

------------
horseradish, tissue, bakery

Nymtoc
02-18-2008, 05:14 AM
Sergio was in despair. His little trattoria was losing patrons right and left. Yesterday a woman claimed his horseradish beef had made her vomit, and tonight the DiDiccio bakery said it would cut off the cannoli till he paid his bills. He took out a tissue and wiped his eyes.

hobbyhorse
mayor
virology

Woof
02-18-2008, 11:48 PM
Virology was the subject of a lecture given by the mayor who is an expert on electronically transmitted diseases, pandemics and cold sores. He gives talks around the world, and when not lecturing, spends his time at home wielding a riding crop, giving his favorite hobbyhorse, Horace a good workout.

acrimonious
gossamer
flamingo

Nymtoc
02-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Seven years? It felt more like 700! Ralph gazed at the pink flamingo on the lawn. Debbie had demanded it, along with the pink shutters, pink geraniums and pink flagstones. He peered through the gossamer pink curtains. She was getting out of her pink Pontiac. Their confrontation would be acrimonious.

:e2fight:

enmesh
packet
verisimilitude

Writer???
02-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Jealousy toward the reigning champion had reached it's limits, and despite the impression that Roger's speech resounded with verisimilitude, some contestants sought to enmesh him in his lies for round two of the competition. They prepared a special packet only he would receive, and waited for him to respond.

rectitude
exponetially
vilify

oneblindmouse
02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Warming to his theme, Freeman began to vilify the other candidate and cast aspersions on his rectitude, his insults growing exponentially and ranging from systematic nefariousness to blatant moral turpitude.

pathological
expediently
sweetbreads

HeronW
02-19-2008, 06:48 PM
The pathological needs of the killer rarely offset his actions. His compulsion to expediently accomplish each demise stemmed from a childhood disorder. When a youth, Hannibal's mother often made sweetbreads out of wandering homeless refugees. During wartime, meat was scarce, at least this way they knew whom they were eating.

liturgical
banshee
credenza

Nymtoc
02-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Sister Modesta slipped into the room. The scroll was in the credenza. If its contents were known, there would be a liturgical storm. After all, who would believe there was an undiscovered gospel and a transsexual disciple? Suddenly she heard a scream like that of a banshee. She turned. “No!”

:eek:

steamboat
latke
coextend

Writer???
02-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Enjoying his trip down river, Sam plucked another latke from the tray and pondered how to coextend the dueling guitar solos for the last song on the new album. Savoring the little potato treat, he settled deeper into his seat and melded with the rhythmic thumping of the steamboat’s paddlewheel.

Excalibur
Ozark
salpingoophorectomy

Nymtoc
02-22-2008, 01:12 AM
"It's a routine procedure," Dr. Morpheus said.

Belinda shivered. “But A salpi—scalpio—“

“Salpingoophorectormy—removing an ovary and its uterine tube.”

“But…” Sitting in this dismal little Ozark clinic, Belinda felt hopeless. She might as well be trying to pull Excalibur from its stone. Any delay, Dr. Morpheus said, might be fatal.

hopscotch
salient
demystify

Pthom
02-22-2008, 10:34 AM
The patterns on the monitor reminded Hopwell of the hopscotch grid he saw chalked on the sidewalk this morning. But the salient points of the solution escaped discovery. He suspected that the clue to demystify the process was tied somehow to the way the little girls hopped through the grid.

colloid, basketry, professional

Nymtoc
02-22-2008, 08:42 PM
“What do mayonnaise, fog and Styrofoam have in common?” Stanley asked, feeling terribly clever.

Lana shrugged. “I have no idea.”

“They are all colloids. Which is older, pottery or basketry?”

"Who gives a--”

“Wait! What distinguishes an amateur from a professional?”

But Lana was gone. Was it something he said?

:gone:

indignant
poop
blather

HeronW
02-22-2008, 09:06 PM
The indignant stomping away act would have been more effective if the aggrieved politico hadn't stepped in fresh dog poop. His opponent held back both a withering stare and uproarious laughter. Giving the incontinent dog hiding behind her podium a wink, the candidate offered her blather in the boring debate.

recede
loquacious
leprosy

The Grift
02-22-2008, 09:12 PM
No guests made the reception, but the deposit on the open bar was non-refundable. Blather from groomsmen started as a comfort, but indignant remarks at an absent bride fell flat as bottles emptied. The first myth she shattered for him was "girls don't poop" and it got worse from there.

puissant
silicone
pontificating

EDIT: I was beaten to the punch... I concede my challenge words

Pthom
02-23-2008, 05:41 AM
Larry lit out at Darla, again, bolstered by too much alcohol. “She’s got this puissant character,” he said, beer sloshing out of the pitcher. “And it isn’t especially aided by that over-abundance of silicone on her chest.” He looked at us for approval, but we were on to his pontificating.

underwear, tube, questionable

Writer???
02-23-2008, 06:34 AM
"Yes Mr Lee, your sense of humor is questionable. You have a tube in your penis for unrination sticking through the slot in your underwear. It is not necessary to grab yourself and "waggle" it at the nurses, pretending to you need to pee. We don't find it funny. No."

Ham
straw
cuticle

Nymtoc
02-23-2008, 02:54 PM
"This is the last straw!" Emily said. "Just look at that cuticle!"

Martha glanced nervously around the nail shop. "It’s doing dishes—it’s lots of things—it’s—"

"Your hand is redder than a slab of ham." Emily lowered her voice. "Martha, is everything all right between you and Bert?"

:e2cry:

cobalt
Hellenism
premeditate

HeronW
02-23-2008, 04:29 PM
The cobalt blue sky over the Mediterranean wasn’t a prerequisite to the glorious age of Hellenism, but they certainly didn’t hurt. ‘To premeditate an act proves that we are a species that is capable of thinking,’ the sage said, impervious to the cup of hemlock replacing his usual Theban red.

ingratiate
verminous
sycophant

Pthom
03-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Phillipe read the card that fell from the box. Another gift from Ingrid. This time: exotic dried fruits and nuts. Her attempts to ingratiate herself with him were manipulative, even verminous--he re-arranged his schedule to avoid her. Beautiful as she was, she was no more than a sniveling sycophant.

--------------
awkward, almond, prism

Nymtoc
03-04-2008, 07:52 AM
The cyanide emitted a bitter-almond smell, but Celia would disguise it with vanilla extract. Jacob, that awkward joke of a man, wouldn’t notice the smell anyway, puffing his damned cigar. Through the prism of her perfect plan, she envisioned tonight as the last time she would hear, “Honey, I’m home!”

:e2coffee:

sentinel
ragweed
infallible

Pthom
03-05-2008, 04:51 AM
Kerry didn’t mind soldering all that much, but damn it, they never should have sent him to take out the sentinel. Oh, he could be stealthy enough. It was just that he had a ragweed allergy and it was infallible that just before he got a round off, he’d sneeze.

----------
whip
whelp
whopper

Nymtoc
03-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Daniel wasn’t going to put up with it anymore. The little whelp had already thrown garbage in the well and burned down the henhouse. A neighbor’s pesky kid! A brat who told one whopper after another! Daniel would show him who was in charge here. He reached for the whip.

mellifluous
strike
pabulum

HeronW
03-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Despite the melliflous violin notes, the singer couldn't strike a note on key if he tried. Sitting in the front row, the critic from the New York Times squirmed at the vocal pabulum. There had to be a way to get out before the intermission.

fandangle
obsequious
lassitude

Pthom
03-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Gerald frowned at the screen, pointed at the first word of a short list. “We did this one already.”

Molly shrugged. “Maybe there’s another definition?”

“Seems obsequious but okay. Fandangle: ‘chiefly British. Jewelry of little value.’” Gerald typed, blaming lassitude for the lack of quality of this bit of prose.

-------------------------------
upset, garrulous, chanterelle

Nymtoc
03-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Greg’s stomach was upset, but he didn’t want to say anything. After all, Terri had prepared her specialty, a chanterelle omelet. But the damned thing was burning his gut. What made it worse was that while he suffered she was babbling in her garrulous way, bragging about her culinary expertise.

jabber
chagrin
tarmac

Kurlumbenus
03-07-2008, 11:21 PM
"Get off the tarmac!" the pilot shouted, waving his fist angrily as he marched towards us. Grandfather, of course, wasn't amused. "Cease your jabber!" he commanded, much to my chagrin. "My worthless son is flying in, and I mean to have dire words with him!"

formic
eschaton
flan

Nymtoc
03-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Some picnic! The flan was okay, but bees were buzzing and--Edgar felt a sharp pain.

“What?” said Miranda.

“Bee sting!”

“Just a little formic acid.” Her nose was in her laptop. She was reading that liberal crap again, like Kos and Eschaton.

He stood up. “I’m out of here.”

:rant:

emphysema
shortchange
crenshaw

oneblindmouse
03-08-2008, 02:51 PM
"Seeing as how I've never smoked," Evelyn wheezed, "dying of emphysema is a real bitch! And I never even got to leave this here Crenshaw county where I was born! That's what I call being shortchanged!"

gnostic
sublease
bustier

HeronW
03-09-2008, 02:44 AM
I never beleived the gnostic who lived next door when I let him sign the sublease. Money being in short demand I needed the income from the small apartment and what the hey, if he wanted to boogie in a bustier and leather thong, at least he paid on time.

canard
dipsomania
plutocrat

oneblindmouse
03-09-2008, 01:58 PM
canard dipsomania plutocrat

As Sir Reginald raised his glass, Toby wondered how much truth lay in the old canard of plutocrats and their power, but joined the old dipsomaniac in yet another toast to "Our new Chinese friends!"

opthalmologist
tiddler
bushwhack

HeronW
03-09-2008, 05:31 PM
The opthamologist finished the exam and patted the tiddler on the head, 'That wasn't too bad now was it? Your eyesight is great. Now you can run home and bushwack your daddy and he'll never see it coming!'

'Thanks Gramma. I wanna be an ot-opta-omtha when I grow up too!'

gregarious
morose
tintinnabulation

Pthom
03-10-2008, 11:19 AM
The children gathered at Dancing Bear’s moccasins, eager for another story about coyote. Except Carter who, usually gregarious, sat in the corner, morose and close to tears.

Miss Roberts knelt by him, “Don’t you want to hear the story?”

“Not this one,” he sniffed. “The one with tintinnabulation in it.”

Nymtoc
03-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Writer's block!

Why the hell did this have to happen? Thad grasped the bottle. The whiskey burned his throat. He bit into the stale sandwich. If he didn't finish this goddam article by morning Winthorp had said he’d fire him. A Lilliputian problem had morphed into a Brobdingnagian one.

Why?

:Hammer:

intone
blockade
lace

Kurlumbenus
03-11-2008, 01:22 AM
"One moment," the old fraud cautioned us, "and I shall intone the... er... intonation that will get us past this blockade!" He stood apart from us, weaving from too much brandy and not enough sense, stained velvet and torn lace suiting him quite nicely.

neoteric
schadenfreud
potato

HeronW
03-12-2008, 07:40 PM
The neoteric villian, a man of dubious past and even more dubious future laughed an evil laugh. The spud was next to a carving knife and boiling oil. His schadenfreud reaction was noted and ignored by the potato that lay there.

melange
vociferous
bellicose

oneblindmouse
03-12-2008, 09:49 PM
The melange concocted by the incompetent old toad was so repugnant and malodorous that the room erupted into a bellicose horde of indignant clients vociferous with righteous indignation.

receptacle
disadvantaged
Abyssinian

HeronW
03-14-2008, 06:49 PM
The receptacle was entirely too small, the general thought. The disadvantaged commander paced the worn rug, trying to think. How could he sneak in the entire Abyssinian army overnight and undetected? Time to let the djinn out of the bottle, this time for more than purient escapades and drunken games.

evaporate
miscellaneous
petard

Nymtoc
03-18-2008, 01:52 PM
“Everybody gets it wrong,” Professor Shmidlapp said. “Among the miscellaneous facts choking their brains, they don’t even know what 'petard' means. It’s not a sword. It’s a bomb, and people are not hoisted, they’re hoist. ‘Hoist with his own petard,’--Hamlet, Act Three, Scene Four. When will your ignorance evaporate?”

donnybrook
gamble
chitterlings

oneblindmouse
03-18-2008, 02:12 PM
donnybrook gamble chitterlings

These kids will be the death of me! Today they got into a right royal donnybrook over a plate of chitterlings! Can you believe it? They don't even like the darn things! But Johnny bet Nymmy that he wouldn't be able to eat a whole plateful with some Gentleman's Relish, and as Nymmy just loves to gamble, that was enough for him.

insouciance
strumpet
portage

HeronW
03-20-2008, 03:18 AM
Lord Whanker hated the insouciance of the strumpet Nell but the service was good and the price was right. He poured another brandy and held out his feet to the fire. The portage for his trip to the mountains didn't include a personal chit for the bint, but he could make do.

lavage
cerrulean
misogynist

StephanieFox
03-20-2008, 05:48 AM
It wasn't like getting a traffic ticket was a big deal, but she was a rich American in a tiny town in Peru. Her cell phone had been taken – stolen she was sure – and there was no phone within 50 miles. Communication to the outside world would not happen.

cannon industry ghetto

HeronW
03-24-2008, 11:21 PM
The old cannon made a nice planter for the begonias, sweetpeas climbed the wheels and the whole sat in front of the steel industry building. That had been sold and parceled out inside as units without the basic amenities, making the whole a dour ghetto.

donnybrook
bugbear
misanthrope

Nymtoc
04-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Wouldn’t the old man ever die? Philip, Amanda and Chauncey waited. The damned misanthrope was upstairs on his deathbed and his will was still a secret.

"He wants a donnybrook," Amanda said. "He wants us to fight over our inheritance."

"Oh, pooh!" Chauncey sniffed. "He’s just a revolting old bugbear."

:e2stooges

chalice
syncope
rodent

writin52
04-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Melissant took the chalice from her manservant slowly, the better to ogle his fine form. She took a deep daught of the contents just as she spotted the huge rodent in the corner. With a scream, she fell into a syncope.

gentle
formation
baseball

Pthom
04-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Korshel leaned on his rake and checked the sky. A gentle rain fell from leaden clouds that, like wounded fighter planes in ragged formation, slid over the baseball stadium. They’d delay the game, for sure. Maybe even postpone it. Korshel shook his head and resumed raking the now muddy infield.

----------
matches
thermals
scratchy

Jenan Mac
04-04-2008, 02:21 AM
Damn! Where'd they go?
I checked the recesses of my thermals, noting how scratchy they seemed in personal spots. No luck. Resigned, I began to collect bits of bark. At least I had a magnifying glass, and the sun was still up. I don't need no stinkin' matches.

------

authority
clover
jim-dandy

StephanieFox
04-04-2008, 10:39 PM
authority
clover
jim-dandy (I count this as one word.)

Manny look hard at his herd of cows. Their black and white bodies looked striking against the pink clover on which they feasted. He'd been offered a jim-dandy price for the lot of them, and he had the authority since he owned them, not his brother. But, he just couldn't.

tango
parrot
apartment

Pthom
04-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Clarance, to put his key into the lock on the door to his apartment heard music. A tango no less, coming from inside. What the hell? He opened the door. The music got louder . . . and worse. Perched on the back of his recliner, singing loud, was his ex-wife’s damned parrot.

jump
herculean
fuzzy

StephanieFox
04-12-2008, 11:58 PM
jump
herculean
fuzzy

Reggie woke up to the sound of his alarm, his head fuzzy with memories of the previous evening. Friends with kegs in tow had arrived to celebrate his 100th parachute jump. He didn't remember them leaving. He staggered to his feet. Even brusing his teeth would take a Herculean effort.

sample
croquet
calculator

HeronW
04-21-2008, 01:05 AM
The sample mallet was a dud, breaking the first time Thea forsook croquet for braining her horse's ass ex hubby. Being a practical woman, she used a small calculator to figure out the exact amount of lime needed to cover his unwanted mangy corpse and render it fit for fertilizer.

Mucilage
persistance
xenophobia

Nymtoc
09-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Determination and persistence--those were the qualities that had enabled General Sergei Xantrios to take control of Slamdunkia, with only a few insignificant deaths, and now the pervasive virus of xenophobia would hold his passive population together like some cultural mucilage, defiant toward the East and sycophantic toward the West.

bauble
gangrene
intuit

oneblindmouse
09-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Gorgeous Georgina was only too aware of her limited powers of reasoning, but even she could intuit that the shiny jewel offered her by the notorious Nymtoc was nothing but a tarnished bauble, slick with the putrid gangrene of his insidious desires.

penumbra
ewer
ostentatious

smoothseas
09-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Penumbra—synonym for fringe. Nice sounding, with rhythm and cadence. Helga tried working the word into her narrative, but her mind was on other matters.

Why, with her multi-millions, had her deceased aunt willed her that ostentatious, jewel-encrusted ewer?

It supposedly had magical properties. Ever hopeful, Helga crossed her fingers.

Next words: Lupine, Telescopic, Radar

Deccydiva
09-06-2008, 11:49 PM
He had a seventh sense, a built-in radar for trouble which told him something was wrong. There was a creature out there padding around in the light of the full moon, bigger than a hare, something more lupine.
He reached for his gun, the one with the telescopic sight...

sugary, chloroform, detached

ELMontague
09-07-2008, 12:29 AM
"It's hard to be detached when you're so personally involved, the one holding the chloroform soaked rag, the one whose good with knots. We're not in some sugary sweet business you and I. So tell me, why have I come for you? Is it love? Or is it money? Hmmm?"

50 words on the dot.

emerald, speculative, strawberry

Nymtoc
09-07-2008, 01:07 AM
The wizened old jeweler examined the emerald with his loupe. “This is speculative,” he said, “but it’s a remarkable gem. I’d say it’s worth a minimum of seven hundred thousand dollars.” The man with the strawberry birth mark smiled. Being a cat burglar was beginning to pay off, big time.

:hat:

jinx
materialize
practitioner

ELMontague
09-07-2008, 06:55 AM
"You're a jinx, do you hear me!" spittle dripped off his angry lips. "What did you think? It would just materialize."

"I can't help it that you slipped up." She slinked toward the door.

"I am a practitioner, not a magician." he complained, a cold terror welling up inside him.

gyroscope
semester
pinch

Nymtoc
09-07-2008, 09:44 AM
If he could get through this semester without exploding, it would be a miracle. Jasper had talked about the gyroscope a dozen times, telling the class about torque and angular momentum, and they still looked blank. In a pinch, he thought, he might spin a student, to prove his point.

estuary
outsource
Braille

ELMontague
09-07-2008, 10:10 PM
“It’s him in the estuary, isn’t it?” I said.

"Braille," he held up a sheet of paper, "you know, little dots you read with your finger."

"Yeah ..." where this was going?

"We had to outsource that part, let go of your boy," he shrugged. “That’s him in the river.”

blaze
tribulation
chance

Jlv81
09-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Oscar struck the match and let it blaze momentarily before putting it to his cigarette's end. The tribulation of going all in on this hand was playing havoc on his weary heart.

"Can't take a jackpot if you don't take the chance," Oscar admitted, shoving his pile of chips.

---------------
Bavarian
porridge
austentacious

l8r Gods
VossMan

Nymtoc
09-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Bavarian cream pie was popular at Sally’s Café. In fact, Sally featured it in an ostentatious way on her menu, but as the economy worsened, Sally cut back on ingredients, and something changed. When people realized she had substituted porridge for whipping cream, she was forced to close in disgrace.

cadence
crisp
polychrome

ELMontague
09-11-2008, 03:31 AM
"I really don't like the cadence of this piece." She thumbed the stop button. "I mean, it's interesting, but the timing is all wrong."

Jasper Whittington hung his head and shuffled his feet. "Oh..."

"The polychrome is OK." She walked to the door. "Black and White would be more crisp."

hang-dog
light
irrelevant

Nymtoc
09-11-2008, 11:05 PM
“What’s the matter with you?” his mother said. “You’ve been walking around with that hang-dog look ever since the house burned down. Is it irrelevant that I found those books on arson in your room? Those ten gallons of gasoline you bought were more than enough to light the fire.”

gopher
seduce
decarbonize

ELMontague
09-12-2008, 06:42 AM
I love my assistant.

It's too bad too.

I made her in the carbon actualizer last week. She's the perfect gopher and so nice to look at. She could seduce anyone with those looks.

Yep, too bad.

She's checking the actaulizer head now. I've set the dial to decarbonize.

Too bad.

Arrowhead
Cheerleader
Science

Snowstorm
09-13-2008, 03:56 AM
"Oh, the arrowhead formation," cooed the cheerleader as her yell leader lifted her up with his hand. "It's, like, such a science to hold me up."

rubber thumb thingy
glass
doorknob

StephanieFox
09-13-2008, 10:42 PM
(This is my 1,000th post.)

rubber thumb thingy
glass
doorknob

There were risks when breaking into old houses to steal Victorian treasures. Her appendage was now bandaged and protected by one of those silly rubber thumb thingys that kept the wound closed. She’d sliced herself on a broken glass doorknob, but what she had found had made it all worthwhile.

feather
cabbage
acrimony

Calamity_Jones
09-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Eric carefully adjusted the gaudy peacock feather in his hat. He was a Cabbage hunter. Admittedly, it wasn't the most glorious profession, nor the most challenging. Cabbages, being inanimate did not flee from his spear. But he impaled them with great acrimony regardless. Oh how he hated their vile taste.

hehe, this is fun :P

Evil
Toilet
Government

Nymtoc
09-15-2008, 01:26 AM
The government of Diego Moquete Lopez was firmly in control in Colonica, now that the stupid revolucionarios had been lined up and shot. Democracy was in the toilet where it belonged, and Moquete Lopez could govern with an iron hand, as cleverly as his evil counterparts in the Estados Unidos.

femur
Mandarin
unbolt

Snowstorm
09-15-2008, 02:29 AM
Nymtoc bit down on a Mandarin orange section as pain shot up his leg. The doctor patted Nymtoc's head in empathy as he screwed in the final bolt securing the shattered femur.

Overstuffed chair
guitar
Scotch

Ageless Stranger
09-15-2008, 02:40 AM
I downed the scotch in one. What did I care? There was nothing else to do that night, at least not until Menlo returned with the damn guitar. I sat down in my overstuffed chair (a leftover from the auction house case) and looked out at my city.

Elephant.
Fairy.
Hair dryer.

Matera the Mad
09-15-2008, 04:00 AM
I felt like a lame elephant; it reminded me of the time Lucy played a fairy in our third grade play and I knocked the cardboard palm tree down on her. "Sorry," I said, but she just picked up the hair dryer again and smiled.

particular
horse
letdown

Shawn Stephens Moore
09-15-2008, 06:04 AM
The Duke had an unsatiable appetite for Appolonia,as she was the most stunning maiden he had ever feasted his eyes upon. His valiant efforts to win her over had lead to letdown, much to his dismay. The particular horse he purchased for her would surely win her affections.

demon gaff rock

Nymtoc
09-16-2008, 01:16 AM
So the whole thing was a gaff, Cecily realized, designed by none other than Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street, to lure unsuspecting souls to his shop and turn them into meat pies! She must spread the word, confident it would shock the Queen and rock the Empire!

fondle
spunky
tachometer

ELMontague
09-17-2008, 07:18 AM
Lane nervously watched the tachometer in his peripheral, a bead of sweat rolling off his brow, his focus on the corner just ahead. This spunky little bitch of a tuner was going to get him killed if he didn't slow down. But he loved to fondle her hot little gears.

spring
exhaust
petrol

Nymtoc
09-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Jack was at the crossing when the Maserati sped toward him trailing a plume of exhaust--more than a car like that should have produced. Then came the crash. A rear spring of the car flew into the air, and the petrol tank exploded. Through the flames, Jack saw nobody at the wheel.

steroid
limbo
governess

ELMontague
09-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Jacqueline shimmied under like a limbo pro. She didn't even spill her drink. Her date was an over-sized Tarzan in an uninspired leopard print loin cloth. Every lean back had men cocking their heads for a look inside her governess costume. I could see the steroid fit boiling in Tarzan.

knees
teak
caulking

Deccydiva
09-21-2008, 01:19 PM
knees
teak
caulking

By late morning my poor knees were aching from squatting by the old teak handrail which I had just varnished. I got up slowly and stretched. Perhaps I should move to the outside of the boat which still needed re-caulking before I could apply a fresh coat of paint.

Hypersensitive
Bear
Party

Snowstorm
09-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Hypersensitive
Bear
Party

The two football jocks approached the sorority house for its annual "support the football team" party. The linesman, Bear, started to turn around and said, "I'll never get these girls to pay attention to me." The quarterback grabbed Bear's arm. "These girls are hypersensitive to footballers and their needs." The door opened with the sorority president cooing, "Hello, Bear."

Mud
guitar
fir tree

ELMontague
09-22-2008, 05:51 AM
Crack! The unpleasant start to another day, Egbert landed with a wet splat in the mud, groaning. He squinted to adjust to the rain. Ten feet up the fir tree he'd been sleeping in, his father's guitar caught on the broken limb that had been his perch.

"Beautiful." He said.

needle
bed
tongue

Nymtoc
09-22-2008, 07:01 AM
As a neon sign blinked outside the window, Serena watched Norman lying on the bed, a hypodermic needle protruding from his arm. She hadn’t known about all this when they met at the Flamingo Club three hours ago. His tongue moved awkwardly. She should get help, but she was frightened.

:o

essay
crayfish
circumvent

ELMontague
09-22-2008, 08:54 AM
"You shoulda seen it. Billy the fuckin' crayfish himself, enough beads around his neck to uncover all of Bourbon street, crashes into the room, beer in hand and pukes right on my essay on how to circumvent the 'Nymtoc' principle." He shook with disbelief. "What do I do now?"

Mardi Gras
knickers
drain

oneblindmouse
09-22-2008, 03:27 PM
When Fleur opened her eyes, the disorder seemed part of a bad dream. Empty bottles lay everywhere, a tie was draped over the lampshade, and her knickers dangled from the bedpost. "Come and celebrate Mardi Gras with me!" he'd said. Another night down the drain!

ghost
argumentative
futility

Pagey's_Girl
09-24-2008, 12:29 AM
ghost
argumentative
futility

Had I realized the futility of trying to get anything done around an argumentative poltergiest, I would have just given up the ghost - not to mention trying to put toner in the copier.

Walkie-talkie
can
speaker

ELMontague
09-25-2008, 08:24 AM
This walkie-talkie might as well be a can and a string for all I can tell from it. If we don't get something more effective up here, there is no way we'll be able to run a feed through to the main speaker. Of course, we might all prefer that.

gelatin
gold leaf
daisy

Nymtoc
09-25-2008, 08:58 AM
It wasn’t like picking a daisy. The fabled Montague Minotaur, a priceless figure of gold leaf and ivory, gleamed under its protective glass dome. Brix’s feet sank into a carpet as soft as gelatin as he reached the dazzling statuette. It would make him rich for life.

The alarm sounded.
:e2thud:

laurel
chlorine
indict

ELMontague
09-30-2008, 08:01 AM
"Go ahead and indict me, you prick!" She screamed at him.

"You know that's not what I mean." Nymtoc stared at the blood pooling around the toga clad frat boy's head, a laurel wreath appearing to float on it. "Pagey will not like this. I'll need chlorine to clean up."

specs
niet
design

Melenka
10-12-2008, 02:21 AM
Nicky looked at the design. The specs were like nothing she had ever seen.

“You say this will let me into the system and hide all activity?”

“Niet. Mask it. You will buy?”

She looked at the squirrelly Dutch thief and nodded. “But if it backfires on me, you die.”

suitcase
dream
corner

Deccydiva
10-12-2008, 02:28 AM
She unpacked the suitcase slowly, throwing each item onto the bed. Leaving him was just a dream, one she could not follow since she found out about her brother. Sighing audibly, she finished emptying the case and threw it into the corner of the room where it lay sadly amidst the other unwanted bric-a-brac.

Painting
Pruning shears
Medicine

Nymtoc
10-12-2008, 05:52 AM
Maribel smiled, moving along with the pruning shears. Through the window, she glimpsed Jason painting another one of his grotesque canvases. But things would soon change. Jason took medicine twice a day. And Maribel prepared that medicine, which contained something else now--something that would finally end this grotesque marriage.

somnambulist
deter
ladder

Pthom
10-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Sleepily, Eric watched Sandra fall and die. Then he went back to bed. In the morning, still in his pajamas, the police questioned him.

“I didn’t know she was a somnambulist,” Eric said. “Otherwise I would’ve tried to deter her attempts to reach the ceiling on that rickety old ladder.”

archive
gelatin
ubiquitous

Nymtoc
10-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Working at the museum had been Freddy's ambition since childhood, and now here he was, in the Babylonian Archive. But why did he keep encountering those little blobs of green gelatin? Was Miss Dinwiddie bringing her lunch to work? The damned stuff was ubiquitous. It would ruin the priceless scrolls!

cataclysm
turnip
obedient

ELMontague
10-18-2008, 03:37 AM
Vegetables have a different way of seeing things, different from you and me. What might be nothing more than an obedient child at the salad bar could in fact be the great cataclysm of a vegetable kind. Vinagrette the sauce at the end of turnip life.

government
brevity
angle

Sarah_Jane
10-18-2008, 08:29 AM
She hated the way information was presented in her government book.
There were so many long-winded theories, each with a different philosophical angle. If only the authors of the book had resorted to brevity, everything would be so much easier to understand.

superfluous
kinship
environment

Popo Agie Flow
10-20-2008, 01:01 AM
“Superfluous little toad,” Ian said.
“Oh, dear, please don’t talk to your brother that way,” Ian’s mother wished.
“But he’s excess, a waste of time, yours and mine.”
“Oh, Ian, please accept his kinship. He does love you so.”
“So what”?
“For me”?
“I can’t live in this environment anymore.”

B&B
steak
fire

Rulato
10-24-2008, 06:56 AM
This would be the first time that Kalyania had ever been to a B&B. She was meeting Norah for a steak and potatoes dinner with Jack and later they were going to roast marshmallows over an open fire. Kalyania couldn’t help but wonder what steak was, or marshmallows and potatoes.

New Words: Aliens, magic, humans

StephanieFox
10-28-2008, 04:44 AM
Aliens, magic, humans

Sig squinted into the forest. Where were the aliens? If he were caught smuggling them – he shuttered. He drew in a breath, sensing something wrong. He turned slowly. Behind him was the silent man and his child. They looked like humans, but they had appeared as if they were magic.

velvet, ink, plow

Nymtoc
10-29-2008, 05:36 AM
Lady Fortescue dipped her pen in ink and opened her diary. She no longer had control over her emotions. Her velvet robe felt as soft as the touch of Garth, whom she could see through the window, behind his plow. Garth! If Lord Fortescue found out, she would be ruined!

:heart::Wha:

goose
mimic
synthesizer

Popo Agie Flow
10-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Flying on high, overhead, the goose spotted a group of rockers playing below.
Spiraling, turning, the bird began its descent, and on the stage she did land.
She listened. Strumming, banging, wailing, the musicians sure could bellow.
The feathered one began to mimic the synthesizer and thus joined the band.

plane
spy
frenzied

Nymtoc
11-09-2008, 08:47 AM
How could anyone suspect her? At 93, Millicent was the least likely spy in the world. Stepping from the ocean in her wet suit, she scanned the beach for the car. There it was! She ran toward it, unnoticed by the frenzied crowd that had gathered around the wrecked plane.

:e2woo:

divorce
Rhine
hibiscus

Woof
11-09-2008, 09:14 PM
After his bitter divorce from a domineering Valkyrie, Siegfried fell under the spell of a young and enchanting Rhine maiden. Their relationship was idyllic. Then one day Siegfried showed up with a hibiscus plant. "You putz!" screamed the mermaid, throwing her engagement ring into the Rhine, "I'm allergic to hibiscus!"

myriad
goatherd
loathsome

smoothseas
11-09-2008, 10:19 PM
myriad, goatherd. loathsome

He was all right to talk to, but that loathsome goatherd had myriad faults.

Heidi needed a man with both brains and initative if she was ever going to get off this damn mountain. But pickings were slim in her high, alpine hamlet.

She scooted closer to Peter. “Kiss me.”

Serendipity, Urbane, Herbaceous

Snowstorm
11-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Serendipity, Urbane, Herbaceous

"In a flash of creativity, I cross-pollinated this herb with that grass and serendipity granted me this new spice," said the urbane Jim Maguire, PhD, Herbaceous Studies department chair. "When sprinkled on bland foods such as cheese sandwiches and cereals, this spice creates a flavor of pepperoni pizza."

bedspread, simpleton, tablature

Nymtoc
11-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Now, with his discovery of the Assyrian tablature, Banbury Drabble would become departmental chairman. But Drabble was a fool, a simpleton! Cardew would have to act fast. Something clever, but what? A bedspread! Yes, suffocating Drabble in his sleep, making it look like a burglary! Cardew would do it tonight!

:e2chain:

salamander
purge
oboe

Woof
11-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Since the beginning of the Great Purge, Ogalov had been branded an enemy of the State after writing his opera, The Salamander of Kiev. His crime? Representing a salamander (played by oboe) - a creature considered subversive and decadent. Had Ogalov referred to an eel instead, things might have been different...

encroach
platypus
coronation

schreiben
11-18-2008, 06:17 AM
The queen’s most awaited coronation will happen in a few hours. We are all excited preparing for this moment when suddenly the guards are in a frantic commotion. A platypus was found in the garden. Apparently, one of the enemy’s spies is encroaching the queen’s territory to disrupt the ceremony.

insights
thorough
aghast

Nymtoc
11-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Luigi, a chef who through self-education had gained a thorough understanding of the universe, had won the Nobel Prize. He approached the podium, ready to reveal his cosmic insights. But everyone was aghast when he said, “I finally figured it out. The universe is a really humongous pizza with pepperoni, provolone, mushrooms and…”

:poke:

station
stationary
stationery

smoothseas
11-25-2008, 12:56 AM
station stationary stationery

Penn Station, April 1945
Aboard a stationary train

Darling husband,

Three days ago, we hadn’t even met. Yesterday, I became your wife. Godspeed to Germany and always remember Time Square. I know, I will.

Your blushing bride,
Emily

p.s. excuse the stationery, but this Macy’s receipt was all I had

disenfranchised, dispirited, delusional

Nymtoc
07-17-2009, 09:18 AM
[This was a popular game for a while. I ought I'd bump it up and see if we can get it going again. The trick is to write a mini-story, or the beginning of a story, in exactly 50 words, using three prompts given by the previous poster.]

The Baxter millions would soon be hers, so why did Felicia feel dispirited? For years she had been disenfranchised, miserable, even delusional. So what if she had poisoned, strangled, stabbed and shot Hubert? He deserved it! Now she would use her considerable charms to convince a jury of her innocence.

Next prompts:
radishes
traffic
berate

Rebekah7
07-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Bob looked forward to being stuck in traffic. His windshield became the world's largest movie screen. The man hollering into his cell phone, or the woman who decided to berate the driver next to her became actors in a plot of his own choosing, be it love, revenge or radishes.

Next prompts:
house
serrate
frog

Nymtoc
07-18-2009, 01:05 AM
Moving into her new house had gone smoothly enough until the frog appeared. More enormous than any batrachian she had ever imagined, it leapt from room to room, uttering appalling sounds, and now it crouched on the floor facing her, a weird sort of serrate fin rising from its spine. :eek:

Next prompts:
Bubble
Deploy
Indecisive

oneblindmouse
07-19-2009, 12:20 AM
bubble deploy indecisive

Nymtoc hesitated, uncharacteristically indecisive. His fingers inches above the switch, he checked the screen again. Should he deploy the multi-bracketed synaptic orgasmatron, widely acclaimed but still untested, or fall back on the tried and trested deflector bubble? Flicking a coin in the air, he called, "Heads, orgasmatron; tails, the bubble!"

New prompts:
porcupine
stanza
demographic

Nymtoc
07-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Loves of a Porcupine would be the greatest epic poem since Byron, Cedric knew, sharpening his quill. Starting with a porcupine’s difficulties finding acceptance in life, it would move from one piercing relationship to the next, each prickly stanza a chronicle of demographic exclusion in a world bristling with barbs.

Next prompts:
Butter
Salacious
Dangle

BlackBriar
07-20-2009, 09:20 PM
I saw the problem, but John probably didn't. 'Dangle from a tree' was not a salacious comment if used in a different context, but 'butter up her skirts' definitely was one. Still, I tried not to laugh.

I feel ashamed for that btw^.

New words-

Moon
Tip
Dragon

Nymtoc
07-21-2009, 02:20 AM
"It's obvious that the United States never went to the moon," said the man lurking outside the gates at Roswell. "First, we lacked the capability. Second, the moon is patrolled by a purple dragon. Third, if we landed, the moon would tip over. Incidentally, Elvis is living in my garage."

Next prompts:
Gymnastics
Rabidly
Confuse