Registered
Reaction score
What do I do?

Last edited:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Stormie is totally correct. Be honest and tell her you can't grant her an exclusive. Most decent agents will want to see it anyway (in my experience.)

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I agree with Stormie. Tell her your full is being considered elsewhere but you will keep her apprised of the situation re: the other agents. I would not give her a number just tell her it is already out but you would be happy to send. I bet you dollars to donuts (an ancient Hawaiian aphorism) she will take it anyway.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean tell her its in the hands of 3 agents?

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This guys~
Dear Agent
My full is being considered elsewhere, but I will keep you apprised of the situation re; the other agents. I am sorry I am unable to grant you an exclusive at this time.

hugs
kimmi
?

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ol' Fashioned Girl said:
Jeeebus, Kimmi! Spit some of whatever it is you've got going into a bottle and let me auction it off for AW! We'll make a fortune!
LOL! Just southern' sweet tea pee...
Mercy Jen, its making me nervous. I wouldn't wish this stress on anyone.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
This is a GOOD problem! Actually, it's not even a problem.

I was in this situation with the agent I eventually signed with. She asked for a 4-week exclusive, but I had other partials and fulls out. She read the full anyway and eventually signed me. (IMO, an 8-week exclusive is ridiculous.)

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Kimmi -
Are you saying you have nothing to send them?
other wise
send what you have
and accompany it with

Dear Agent
I am sorry I am unable to grant you an exclusive at this time as my manuscript is being considered elsewhere, but I will keep you apprised of the situation and notify you of any offers. Enclosed you will find my submission. (or attached if it is an email).

I would strongly suggest you get those 50 pages fixed up pronto and send them.
JMHO

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I would go ahead and send the submission to her anyway --did she want snail mail or email?
Wait until you have those first 50 pages done and send them along with a note: REQUESTED MATERIAL and remind her that you are unable to give an exclusive.
If I remember correctly you were non fiction - right?
Otherwise you did good grasshopper!

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I see.
For future reference you should go ahead and send it and say you cannot grant an exclusive. When you do that agents just say -- oh all right I have it I might as well read it. Because you have other agent interest I would not worry about it too much. If the other two agents fall through then you can re-query this one.
email means she's really interested but it's late now in NY.
Good job.
Now calm down and have a drink.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
ORION said:
I see.
For future reference you should go ahead and send it and say you cannot grant an exclusive. When you do that agents just say -- oh all right I have it I might as well read it. Because you have other agent interest I would not worry about it too much. If the other two agents fall through then you can re-query this one.

Such good advice! I was too timid on my agent hunt and asked if I could send the full on a non-exclusive, or if I should wait until I'd heard back from the other agents. It worked out fine in the end, but looking back, I would have been a bit more aggressive/confident. The majority of writers I know who've taken this approach (sending the material with a note of explanation) had good results. I think we're often too afraid of making agents "mad."

Last edited:

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Foinah said:
How did everything work out???? I've been waiting with baited breath...

After all, how long can anyone hold a minnow in their mouth without accidentaly swallowing it?

BATED:
1 : to reduce the force or intensity of : [SIZE=-1]RESTRAIN[/SIZE] <with bated breath>
2 : to take away : [SIZE=-1]DEDUCT[/SIZE]
3 archaic : to lower especially in amount or estimation
4 archaic : [SIZE=-1]BLUNT[/SIZE]

Regards,
Scott