Um...I don't get it...

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
You'll probably think me a liberal or a pothead but I've got to wonder about this.

Pot relaxes a person. Makes them a bit lazy and dumb. Makes them happy. On rare occassions, there's a bad trip or outcome--some idiot taking too much and thinking he can fly.

Alcohol is known to weaken inhibitions. Make a person angrier or more aggressive than he usually might be. It can lead to very poor choices and a high number of deaths are alcohol-related.

...yet pot is the plant of Satan, but alcohol is socially acceptable?

That's my rant, I guess.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
alferhol can alco makkke soemene typoe gunny toop. i neaver tooch the stuf.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see your point, but this sounds like an over-generalisation, oversimplification and confusion of the issue to me.

I agree with your general notion -- it's not right that one is legal and controlled, but the other is not. But it's not accurate to say that pot is completely harmless, non-addictive, and safe.

Pot is carcinogenic, like tobacco. And don't kid yourself that it's impossible to get addicted to. Ask any physician or treatment center whether it's a good idea for alcoholics to switch to marijuana to get off the booze.

I'd certainly feel no safer riding in a car with someone who was high, rather than drunk.

And not everyone gets angry or aggressive with alcohol; with many, it has the opposite effect: they become morose and withdrawn.

I think you're mixing your drug lore as well: bad trips and "thinking I can fly" are generally associated with LSD or maybe PCP, not marijuana. I'd imagine that such effects from pot would be caused by impurities of some sort.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
This is hardly the 'reefer madness' generation. Pot is technically illegal but who really cares much about it any more? Both drugs have been effects--one has been in our culture so long it is accepted, the other hasn't. You are expecting cultural norms to be rational, perhaps?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
One only needs to look at history to understand why one is now legal and socially accepted, and other not. Alcohol used to be illegal, you know? And pot used to be legal. There are many reasons why it's different now: economics, politics, etc. But I think it is a bit naive to think that marijuana is harmless, even though I do agree that the effect, abuse and long-term health issues of alcohol use cannot be ignored.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
MJ isn't harmless. Coming from my own experiences and the long history my family has with substance abuse. One of the common elements in my family is, "it got worse when I started smoking."

Which is not to say that every user will become a raging addict that will gladly sell off their children for their next fix.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
My mom was a nurse in a psychiatric facility for a number of years and saw a great deal of long-term marijuana abuse. Not pretty. It's probably great if you want to be a brain-dead moron with slurred speech and poor motor-coordination.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
aadams73 said:
My mom was a nurse in a psychiatric facility for a number of years and saw a great deal of long-term marijuana abuse. Not pretty. It's probably great if you want to be a brain-dead moron with slurred speech and poor motor-coordination.

You've met my nephew, I see...

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can drink without getting drunk. I don't think people smoke pot unless they intend to get high. Having dealt with many long term pot heads, I can say that the only people more damaged are the huffers.

ETA--that's not to minimalize the effects of long term alcoholism.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
just b/c alcohol is legal does not mean pot should be.

potheads need to come up w a better argument than that.

or just pretend its for medicinal purposes. id support that.

good luck stoners of america. i hope you come up w a better strategy.

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Bravo said:
just b/c alcohol is legal does not mean pot should be.

potheads need to come up w a better argument than that.

or just pretend its for medicinal purposes. id support that.

good luck stoners of america. i hope you come up w a better strategy.

Oh, they will.

But they'll forget what it was in a minute.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
like any drug, marijuana can be beneficial or detrimental. anyone who pretends it is all of one and none of the other is silly.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
are you saying people don't always drink to experience some level of the effects of alcohol?

hogwash.

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
are you saying people don't always drink to experience some level of the effects of alcohol?

hogwash.
No. I'm not saying that.

"some level" is not the same as "inebriated."

I drink Chamomile tea sometimes to feel the effects (sleepiness). But it doesn't impair my judgement or for instance, my ability to drive a vehicle.

ltd.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
There's increasing medical evidence that smoking pot is linked to schizophrenia.

Of course alcohol is damaging, when drunk to excess, or in combination with driving etc - but it's one of the oldest vices known to man and much harder to remove from the culture.

Also - alcohol is taxed, pot isn't - where would the governments get that extra income if alcohol became illegal?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't deny that marijuana can be beneficial to someone with a real medical need. But most people aren't using it for that. It isn't "evil", but having seen the effects of it, I wouldn't put it in my body and I will strongly discourage my kids from every trying it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Soccer Mom said:
I don't deny that marijuana can be beneficial to someone with a real medical need. But most people aren't using it for that. It isn't "evil", but having seen the effects of it, I wouldn't put it in my body and I will strongly discourage my kids from every trying it.

Do you think people are drinking because of its health benefits?

The bottom line is, like William said, any drugs have both benefits and detriments. Abuse is always bad. To say pot is bad but alcohol is okay is just head in the sand. To say pot should be legal because alcohol is -- well, you have a point but it doesn't mean pot is harmless. It's just saying let's legalize things that would slowly kill us (alcohol, nicotine, marijuana, etc.) and tax the heck out of them, but let people make their own choices.