Police Roles in kidnappings--family fears

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadandtheRadio

Registered
Reaction score
I need to know how a family might deal with their child, a teenager, being kidnapped from their home in the middle of the night. None of the family members involved which include younger kids, have anything to do with their daughter's disappearance. I also need to know specifics about polic ework into the investiagation for trying to find the teen.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
I think kidnapping automatically falls under the jurisdiction of the FBI.

I would think it would be fairly routine. Wire taps, questioning neighbors and friends. Initially, they would need a reason to rule out runaway. Until there is evidence of foul play they are simply a missing person.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Check the website for the center for missing and exploited children. They have excellent information about procedures and Amber alerts. And kidnapping is not automatically federal. It falls under fed jurisdiction if they cross state lines. There are some other reasons that it might, but honestly they are usually handled on the local level.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
Soccer Mom said:
Check the website for the center for missing and exploited children. They have excellent information about procedures and Amber alerts. And kidnapping is not automatically federal. It falls under fed jurisdiction if they cross state lines. There are some other reasons that it might, but honestly they are usually handled on the local level.

My bad. Mom's right. See here.

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/crm01034.htm

JIMBOS

Registered
Reaction score
I would read up on the Jon Benet Ramsey case! She wasn't kidnapped, but there might be something to help you there.

Last edited:

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
JIMBOS said:
I would read up on the Jon Benet Ramsey case! She wasn't kidnapped, but there might be something to help you there.

I thought she said the family wasn't involved?

And cynicism aside (because I believe the family was involved) read up instead on the Elizabeth Smart case out of Utah. (the Smart family became very active and helped force the Adam Walsh bill through after her return).

Or the current returned kidnapped victims out of Missouri.

Both fit better in what you want than the JonBenet case.

Rabe...

JIMBOS

Registered
Reaction score
Rabe said:
I thought she said the family wasn't involved?

And cynicism aside (because I believe the family was involved) read up instead on the Elizabeth Smart case out of Utah. (the Smart family became very active and helped force the Adam Walsh bill through after her return).

Or the current returned kidnapped victims out of Missouri.

Both fit better in what you want than the JonBenet case.

Rabe...
I wasn't aware the family was involved...thanks for the update!

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Delarege said:
I think kidnapping automatically falls under the jurisdiction of the FBI.

I think you're thinking of interstate kidnapping. To my knowledge, the FBI has no jurisdiction over things that are not federal crimes, and localized (non-interstate) kidnapping is generally not a federal crime. It's a violation of state law, under the jurisdiction of state police. They sometimes call in the FBI for help, and maybe they invoke some technicality to do that (e.g. "we suspect the victim may have been transported across state lines" even though they have no idea where the hell the victim is), but the FBI doesn't just show up every time a kidnapping occurs.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
RoadandtheRadio said:
I need to know how a family might deal with their child, a teenager, being kidnapped from their home in the middle of the night. None of the family members involved which include younger kids, have anything to do with their daughter's disappearance. I also need to know specifics about polic ework into the investiagation for trying to find the teen.

Read everything you can about the Elizabeth Smart case. And the Polly Klaas case. That ought to tell you almost everything you need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.