Read a bunch but still confused...

laurenem6

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dragon.ycp.edu
This is my first post, but I've been reading around here all night. I've been working on a memoir/life story but I'm still a bit confused about everything.
Basically, I'm in the middle of a novel about my freshman year of college. Nothing illegal or incriminating is in it, although I still want to change the names because I'm not sure that people would like how they're portrayed. My main question is, since I've obviously had to make up some dialogue and events (because I don't remember exactly, and for the the suspense/flow), is it still nonfiction? And if it is, will anyone want to read it? Or should I just pass it off as fiction and hope that no one ever finds out? I'm just so confused, and reading some other people's threads on the topic have made it even worse! I could really use some input! Thanks!

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem, except that I'm not changing anything. Names, locations, or events. I just don't know if I should protect names or what. Want to put it out as a memoir, but don't want to offend.

expatbrat

Look what we made:
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.expatbrat.com
In my mind, dealing with other peoples reactions to your work is one of the hardest parts of writing a memoir.

If you write it was fiction I think you would need to buzz it up a lot more, make it more interesting, give the characters bigger challenges and huge motivation to overcome the challenges. As non-fiction you just need to have a really interesting story to tell to start with.

If your story is truely fasinating, why would you consider writing it as fiction?