PDA

View Full Version : A Delayed Question

AllyWoof
01-15-2007, 04:40 AM
I am writing fanfiction for a contest. Is it possible for me to get arrested for infringing on copright laws for sending it in to said contest, or posting it on a sight like fanfiction.net?

Stormshine
01-15-2007, 05:22 AM
Well, not arrested maybe, but you could certainly be sued depending on the type of contest. You definitely can't make money off of it in any way (and that would include prizes with monetary value). I'm not a laywer, however, so there's probably someone a lot more qualified than me who can answer that question.

AllyWoof
01-15-2007, 05:23 AM
I don't want money.

veinglory
01-15-2007, 05:28 AM
Most contests will not accept work that uses copyright characters.

Posting on non-profit sites like fanfiction.net tends to hit a gray area, but there's safety in numbers. I still tend to avoid authors like JK who are explicitly anti-fanfic.

aadams73
01-15-2007, 05:30 AM
I wouldn't send fanfiction to a competition, ever, unless it was specifically a fanfiction contest. You could find yourself in some real hot water, depending on the rules.

PeeDee
01-15-2007, 12:19 PM
I'd be curious to see what contest it is.

But yes, unless it's a Fanfiction Contest explicitly, they're going to delete the fanfiction unnoticed. Or reject it just as quickly. Even when there's no money involved, letting fanfiction in just opens up too many cans of worms.

Fanfiction is fun, but it doesn't go beyond that. It's just fun, and a useful learning tool, and all the other things I said at length in the bigger fanfiction thread we have around here.