Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskimo1990

is here :)
Registered
Reaction score
I need help, I've been writing since I was in 5th grade and have finished maybe 3 or 4 good stories the problem is, I don't know what my Genre is. I'm not even sure how to tell. I know my stories aren't fantasy, (or I'm pretty sure) can someone help me??
Thanks
Eskimo

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It isn't that people don't want to help, it's that this is probably in the wrong thread. The FAQ thread is for Frequently Asked Questions about the forum itself and not writing (which the entire rest of the forum is devoted to) Why not post the question in the "Writing Novels" section or even the "AW Roundtable". Also it is hard to answer your question when you don't specify details about what you write.

Don't be sad, Eskimo1990! Help will come to you!

Eskimo1990

Registered
Reaction score
oh I'm sorry I'm new. Hopefully someone can help me, I can figure out what genre I am hopefully I will want to finish typing and I will be able to find a publisher. Thank you for anyone who helps me :)

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a sample of your work to share with us?

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Hi, Eskimo! It might be a lot easier for you if you start here. Take a look at the little icons to the left of the page and find the ones with locks on them - those will be the best start for you. There's lots of info there that will make the rest of your stay more comfortable and you'll be able to navigate the site much more easily.

Then, if you have questions and don't know where to turn, send a nice friendly member (and we're all friendly members) a private message and ask! 99.9% of us are happy to help and the other .01% you'll be able to easily avoid!

To send a private message (or PM), just click on the person's name and it will offer you the option of sending a private message. Click on that and you're on your way.

Good luck! I'm sure one or more of us will be able to help you!

Eskimo1990

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for replying! If anyone wants to view my work just send me a PM and I will e-mail you some. I just looked through the list of Genres, it helped slim down a lot of choices. Another question, it is better to stick to one single genre or can I branch out to different ones? General, Horror Mainstream, Paranormal, or Suspense. Do all books have to have a sub-genre of romance? or is there another one? (I sound so stupid, and I'm in a creative reading class too, but my teacher doesn't teach us, so I'm in some major need of some help!) Another question, One story that is currently finished(first draft) but not typed is told from two points of views, like the book Flipped is that confusing or no? I would like someone to read it however, my friend, Melissa reads it and helps with grammar mistakes but she's not a writer and I would kinda like some honest feedback. Where would I post my story?
Thanks! :)

Last edited:

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I think you're worrying about it waaaaay too much. Find other stories or novels that are similar to it, and call it that. If nothing else, someone's going to go "Hey. That's not Comedy/Historical Romance. That's actually True Crime!" and then you know where you go.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Eskimo.

Just from you telling us that you don't know what genre your story is doesn't help us help you narrow it down. What's it about? What's the setting? What other stories is it similar to? (This is not assuming that your working isn't original, btw, but every story is like some other story. They just are. The similarities and differences are what help define genres.) Does it have spaceships? Wizards or mages? Monsters? Is it about the relationship between two people?

There is also something called cross-genre, where a story actually fits two or more genres or contains elements of multiple genres.

As for whether or not to stick to one genre or branch out, it is better to tell the story(ies) that you have to tell. Don't worry about genre unless you are writing to target a specific market, which it doesn't sound like you are at this point. The best thing to do is write.

We do have a forum here called Share Your Work (often abbreviated as SYW) where people can post their work for critique. It can be brutal in there, so make certain you are ready for honest feedback before you post. (The password is VISTA.)

I'm not certain what you mean by if every genre has a sub-genre of romance? Like you, I'm probably over-thinking things, but there are two literary meanings to the term romance. One is the modern-day term for the romance genre. The other goes back to ancient days when the genres as we know them didn't exist.

Eskimo1990

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you guys. You're probably right, I am over thinking things, and worrying to much. Mostly thats how I am. I going to go edit my one story now, Thanks again!

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Eskimo, welcome to the board. I think you will be able to find some honest feedback here and if you're able to channel the advice given into your writing I am sure you will feel as I do about the people here. That they've been extremely helpful and kind offering of their time to help newbie/inexperienced writers. It is a vulnerable time sharing your work, for both the writer and the reader. :)

I say that because they are taking people at their word and actually giving you an excellent critique, I mean I think that the advice given to me here is good enough to have paid for it via editing services, but that's just me. I am really appreciative of the time it takes someone to read a chapter or a series of scenes, whatever you choose to put up in Share You Work so if you put something up I will be interested in checking it out and letting you know what I think.

I hope you enjoy the board Eskimo, welcome to the AW Water Cooler! :D

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Eskimo - I am a short story writer - no, wait, I am of average height and write short stories. Welcome to the Cooler - this is a great place. Cruise through as much of it as you can, then come back and cruise some more - there's a lot of good writing stuff to be had here.

And we all started with just that one story...

Status
Not open for further replies.