Registered
Reaction score
I read

hugs kimmi

Last edited:

JBI

Banned
Reaction score
The Name of the Rose is a must read for this subject. Also, you may want to try Foucault's Pendulum as well. The first book is about a murder mystery in a church, but deals a great deal with scandals. The second is basically The Da Vinci code without the false history, and the thriller plotline. Both are by Umberto Eco. He uses real history for Foucault's as apposed to Brown shifting and contradicting history in his work.

Generally I would stay away from Brown on that subject. He tends to contradict history instead of using actual facts to support his plot. Generally that is alright if your readers are ignorant on the subject. But someone like me sees the movie and hears "The Knights Templar were looking for the holy grail on the first crusade" and just laughs and thinks "yeah, but they were formed after the crusade, that doesn't make sense".

After reading Foucault's Pendulum you will have about 1000 other literary works lined up for you on the subject. Eco pretty much uses every single weird church conspiracy theory imaginable.

pamelajo

Registered
Reaction score
This isn't a book, but there was a documentary that was released in the past couple of months about a priest who was moved around to new congregations despite being a child molester. I can't remember the name of it. Maybe someone on the board will.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chumplet said:
Holy Blood, Holy Grail was the nonfiction book Brown based a lot of his information on.
Chumplet, is this one book and who is it by?

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I found it. It's amazing how much you realize you read when you start looking for a particular book. I was pulling paperbacks out of every nook and cranny till I found it, but I see you have the link provided to you.

Anyway, my kids bought it for me for my birthday by mistake. They really intended to buy me Angels and Demons, but didn't remember the title. I started reading it, and it seems to be written fairly clearly, investigating the lineage of Jesus Christ among other subjects like the Knights Templar.

Written by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln.

Ben-Hur by Lew Wallace was considered scandalous in its day, and now the Church endorses it. Go figure.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Kimmi, try here, too:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0446692425/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/068484267X/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

http://www.goodbyegoodmen.com/

http://atheism.about.com/od/bookreviews/fr/OurFathers.htm

And a whole bibliography, here:
http://www.questia.com/library/religion/religion-and-society/church-sex-abuse-scandal.jsp (they'll ask for your email addy, but then they'll take you to the bibliography)

As always, with research, remember to read with a grain of salt. Some of this has a blatant political agenda, and some of it's just a load of BS.

Luck!

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Funny - I watched DVC last night. Had to pause a couple of times to give my wife the proper history of certain things, and point out places of pur conjecture.

She educated me by complaining about how the distances in Paris were a lot farther than the movie depicted.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Big Thanks you guys....You've helped!

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
That documentary mentioned

pamelajo said:
This isn't a book, but there was a documentary that was released in the past couple of months about a priest who was moved around to new congregations despite being a child molester. I can't remember the name of it. Maybe someone on the board will.

It's called "Deliver Us From Evil" and is supposed to be absolutely bone-chilling in the "evil-is-mundane" way.

I haven't been able to find it in my local DVC/video stores yet ...

expatbrat

Look what we made:
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.expatbrat.com
I was in my local bookstore last week and there must have been at least 15 books on the subject. Go have a good look at your local BS and see what grabs your attention.

Re the DVC movie: that really was crappy. I honestly can not understand how anyone who hadn't read the DVC book could have followed the movie. Shockingly bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.