Mandalas

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I need some info on mandalas, but some of the searching I've been doing hasn't given me the results I want. I'm still surfing the net for everything I can find, but could anyone here offer me some info?

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
The mandala has its origins in the Dharmic religions like Buddhism, and basically is a symmetrical design that can used in meditation. It represents the cosmos, the human perspective, the universe, the All. I got to see some monks do a sand mandala once, and it was freakin' amazing.

Other cultures use designs similar to the mandala, and the word has become kind of a catch-all phrase for circular designs. There's some pretty neat information here: http://www.mandalaproject.org/

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
PattiTheWicked said:
The mandala has its origins in the Dharmic religions like Buddhism, and basically is a symmetrical design that can used in meditation. It represents the cosmos, the human perspective, the universe, the All. I got to see some monks do a sand mandala once, and it was freakin' amazing.

Other cultures use designs similar to the mandala, and the word has become kind of a catch-all phrase for circular designs. There's some pretty neat information here: http://www.mandalaproject.org/

You got to see them doing it?! Ayah, I would kill for the chance....

Thank you very much, the website is great :D

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
We have an annual event here called the Gift of Light Expo, in April, and each year a group of Buddhist monks spend three days doing a sand mandala. It's amazing, because the thing is about nine feet across. You walk into this room where they've got the chants playing in the background, incense burning, tapestries hung around them, and there's usually an older man, a very young one, and a guy somewhere in the middle. The work is so precise that it's practically grain-by-grain. It's beautiful -- I've never seen anything like it. I could have stood there watching all day.