Do you think having a free email provider makes a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I mean like yahoo or hotmail? Mainly asking this because I queried an agent and waited over three months before trying again this time using my free yahoo email and guess what? He rejected me in three hours! I have a website I call "Cyber-Soup" and I know some places filter out things with "cyber" in it so I am asking for your POV on this one.

Should I use my domain mail which runs the chance of getting filtered for having cyber in it? Or should I stick to the yahoo one because it's more likely to get through? I have gotten like three rejections on my Cyber-Soup email and two on my yahoo account. So at this point I don't know which is better to use for my agent search.

What do you all think? I know it's hard to find a willing and available agent but the part of me that wants to use my Cyber-Soup email wants to because it is representative of the domain my site is at. What do you think? Stick with my domain or go with the yahoo email? I don't use the ISP email because I don't like outlook...just a personal thing. :p

Tia Nevitt

Anywhere but here, anywhen but now
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tianevitt.com
Try gmail. It's not as annoying as Yahoo, but the interface is different than what you may be used to. I love gmail.

I agree with you about avoiding anything that requires you to use Outlook. That's part of the reason I use gmail.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
That's a thought, I might get a gmail account and see about that, thanks Tia! :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You don't even know if they first one got through or not, maybe the second one just happened to arrive on the day he or she decided to clear the email backlog?

For each one that blocks your domain another might spamblock freemail. I use gmail, it has pretty good penetration, but I really don't think email provider is a big issue.

Last edited:

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Now I have a gmail addy for my name now and I think that I will be using it from now on to query, thanks for the suggestion Tia and I think you're right veinglory, that there are freemail filters set up too. Gmail might not get through to everyone but I bet it's better then yahoo, hotmail or my cyber-soup addy. :)

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone wants an invite to Gmail PM me and I will gladly send one. :)

I agree that gmail is very easy to use Maprilynne. :D

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I use it, too. I actually have a couple of accounts based on what I am doing with each of them.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
This makes my second Gmail addy, exclusively for writing only and the other has to do with a board I help moderate. I think gmail is really cool and I didn't think to make a new addy for writing until Tia suggested it. :)

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I agree on Gmail. It's adfree, and so far I have had no trouble. Most of my queries to editors get answered (so what if they are rejections!), that pretty much means my mails don't find their way into the junk folders. Apart from that, Gmail is easy to configure on Outlook and Outlook Express. Lots of space - you never need to delete anything.

There can be many other reasons, besides a free domain, why your mail is filtered. Read this article for more info:

http://www.imediaconnection.com/content/3649.asp

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Maprilynne said:
I LOVE my gmail account and have never had a lick of trouble with it--sending or receiving.

Ditto. Gmail is fab. I also use it to store files.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
free

Many spam filetrs won't even let a hotmail account through, and quite a number also block Yahoo. Not many block gmail yet, but it's coming. Sooner or later, free always seems to mean spam.

I've had only a couple pieces of spam from gmail, but if ths increases, I'll have to block it, as well, which is a shame because I like gmail and use it often.

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, danger bell for Gmail! :(

Looks like I must start searching for a paid service.

Status
Not open for further replies.