A Tribute To Monkeyface.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
What an absolutely sweet baby, Terri. She looks like she's had a wonderful life with you and your family... so sleek and shiny and beautiful. Gosh, they hurt us when they leave... but that's the only time. Hugs to all of you.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How sweet - what a beauty she was, and she had a great life. You should be proud, Terri, seriously.

Now I'm tearing up again - thanks for sharing that - she was a beauty.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry, Terri. I've been thinking of you a lot this last couple of days.
Big hugs. She'll always be in your family, you heart, your thoughts, but it will get easier.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's a beauty Terri!
There will be another beauty waiting for you when you are ready! :Hug2:

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
TsukiRyoko said:
:cry: I'm sorry, Terri. She looks like such a sweet cat too. Know the good thing about sweet cats? They stay with their beloved owners even after life.
:)

*BIG hugs*

Thanks, sweetpea!

She better not greet the kids, we'll have to move. :D

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She was a beauty. What's the story behind her name? She had a beautiful face (but full of mischief!)

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Terri, I am late tonight -- sorry to hear about your family friend -- and just wanted to offer a little solace. I am sure your cat "Monkeyface" had many great days with your family and is in a better place now.

Take care,

Jon

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Mom said:
She was a beauty. What's the story behind her name? She had a beautiful face (but full of mischief!)

When I found her in the basement of my apartment building (just a handful) I took her up stairs to my studio. We lived on the top floor right under a flight path and down the street from a hospital that ambulances went to. Every time an ambulance went by or a plane came in for a landing, and it was loud, her eyes would get the size of quarters and her ears would lay flat against her head. She looked just a monkey in her face. So I started calling her Monkeyface. Her original name was pumpkin because I found her a week before Halloween.

Here's an article I entered into a pet essay contest about her. It's not my best writing, but the point comes across.

I am most grateful to my pet for being my friend.

Rescued Nine Years Ago:
Barely big enough to fit in my hand, I was lucky to be the first one to do laundry that day in the basement of my apartment building. I couldn’t afford to feed another mouth but I couldn’t leave her behind either. I scooped up the tiny, screaming black creature and put her in my basket. During the three-flight stair hike back home the little chatterbox became mine. “Monkeyface” aka, Fat Sausage, has never let a day go by without saying thank you. I have chronic asthma (something she understands) and when I’m feeling bad she’s always there. She gently reaches out her paw and nods her head as if to say, “Are you okay.” When I’m feeling down she comes up to my lap to look at me and gives me a cat wink as if to say, “It’ll get better.” When we brought our first baby home she was there asking, “Is that thing that keeps crying staying long?” When I’m watching TV she throws herself on the floor and rolls onto her back and looks at me over her round mound as if to say, “I’m here too.” When I’m in the kitchen making tuna there she is rubbing my legs as if to say, “Don’t forget about me.” And when “mom” and “dad” are putting the kids to bed there she is quietly listening to prayers and ‘night-songs’ as if to say, “I’m family too, and for that I thank you.”

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
That was very nice, Terri. And a moving tribute to your little friend. My wife and I are cat-lovers, and sadly have had to put down some of our pals in the past. But thankfully it was always with one of us there, holding them close as they crossed over. The last thing they saw on this earth were our faces, telling them they were loved, and how blessed we'd been by their presence. Be well.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gravity said:
That was very nice, Terri. And a moving tribute to your little friend. My wife and I are cat-lovers, and sadly have had to put down some of our pals in the past. But thankfully it was always with one of us there, holding them close as they crossed over. The last thing they saw on this earth were our faces, telling them they were loved, and how blessed we'd been by their presence. Be well.

I wish I could have been there, but she died in surgery when they couldn't get the cyst out.

Thank you for your thoughts.

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Awwww, she did look awfully cute. I'm such a wuss when it comes to animals. I've always really bonded with my pets. I swear I still miss my cat that died 4 years ago even though he was 16 at the time and I was lucky to have that much time with him. Sorry that you couldn't save her, but at least you gave her a good life.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry about your kitty, Terri. It is a super tribute to her and know that she had a happy life with you and your family. :Hug2:

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
A beautiful little girl, Terri. And a lovely tribute, too :Hug2: I'm a cat lover, also. Kola and I have 3. 'Course, they act more like pups ;) They come when they're called, and the like.

Monkeyface will always be in your heart and at your side, Terri. The few times I've had to put pups down, and like John, I've been there when they've crossed--They're still in my heart, and sometimes, I feel them next to me.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Terri, I love your beautiful sleek black lady. But I have to say, my cat's fatter than yours (and I've had him on a diet and exercise for 18 months now, so he's trimmed down some).