PDA

View Full Version : What about Life Story humor?

thecollector50
01-13-2007, 05:39 AM
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Debbie

johnrobison
01-13-2007, 07:04 AM
Most people buy books to be entertained. A book that entertains a reader will generally do better than one that leaves readers feeling queasy or shaken or upset.

In my opinion, if you can see some humor in your memoir experiences you will benefit from expressing it.

Sohia Rose
01-13-2007, 09:46 AM
I think it will do well. Who doesn't want to laugh?

I've had some friends read my WIP (memoir) and they told me it was funny. They laughed out loud several times. But the experience wasn't funny when it happened. In fact, I suffered.

I didn't set out to write a humorous memoir. The truth is, I have a dry sense of humor and I suppose it came out in my writing. "They" say humor is hard to write. Just be you. Tell it like you would a friend without forcing it.

Leah J. Utas
01-13-2007, 07:25 PM
By all means. Finding humor in a serious illness shows your strength and will help others to find their own. Laughing is good.

expatbrat
01-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Injecting humour into a motivational peice only makes the peice more powerful (she handled it so well!). Good luck.

aka eraser
01-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Debbie, Joanne Kiggins, the Freelance Writing moderator, put together a great bunch of links here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16659) that will get you started on the writing/submitting path.

And to echo the others, yes, humour sells and much of it is born in pain.

Good luck. :)