PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Songs

moblues
01-13-2007, 02:57 AM
All Along the Watchtower, a Hendrix cover of Dylan was the song that got me. But as a confession, this is my favorite song after that:

I removed the link. It had been on the site for nearly a week, so I at first felt that it would be okay. I can't put AW at risk.

Here is the artist and song:

Ace (Paul Carrack) - How Long

From youtube

Mike

moblues
01-13-2007, 07:07 AM
Just thought it would be an interesting topic.

Mike

mooncars
01-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Very good topic, Mike. Today, I really dug Bowie's Changes. As for fav all time song? Hands down it's Norman 'Hurricane' Smith's Oh, Babe What Would You Say?

How Long is a great tune, though. Good choice.

Rock on,
Rick

moblues
01-13-2007, 10:53 AM
DW would like this song: Dreamer from Tommy Bolin's album Teaser. This has the best rock gutar solo I have ever heard. Yes, better than the Hendrix version of All Along the Watchtower, and better than Stairway to Heaven. Blech. Sorry, I've got a cold. ;)

Please check out Tommy's stuff. Unfortunately he overdosed at the age of 25 in 1976.

Some of us get second chances. I wish he did.

Mike

P.H.Delarran
01-13-2007, 11:17 AM
I doubt I could ever pick a favorite. I like so many different things about music at so many different times. And I'm still exploring.
I don't always like the lyrics of the songs that I enjoy the most. And many times good lyrics get sugared down and wasted by a sappy tune.
Ted Nugent's Stranglehold is always the first that comes to mind when this question is asked. Good ole' rock and roll. Scorpion's 'Lovin' You on Sunday Morning' is sweet and romantic but with a good rock feel. I could rock out to bands like Megadeth, ACDC, newer Tesla, etc..all day.
Then there's the musically introspective bands like Pink Floyd, Zeppelin a bit
There's something that Nora Jones sings, hmm, I'll have to look it up. Her voice is wonderfully dreamy and the song just sends shivers.
Catchy lyrics on an upbeat get me. There is current popular song on the radio by Blue October called Into the Ocean - love it. The lyrics are meaningful and the tune is lively, I hum it all day.
Some of my favorite bands for lyrics are Cake, Creed, Audioslave, the Beatles...
I could go on and on. (And that's just covering Rock)
My husband is a musician who plays casually with a couple of groups, and I am forever calling him up suggesting some song or another I just heard, for him to cover.
How would one pick just one???

P.H.Delarran
01-13-2007, 11:19 AM
DW would like this song: Dreamer from Tommy Bolin's album Teaser. This has the best rock gutar solo I have ever heard.

Please check out Tommy's stuff. Unfortunately he overdosed at the age of 25 in 1976.

I love Tommy Bolin. Someone very close to me introduced his music to me years ago. I have some of his stuff, and Dreamer is my favorite.

moblues
01-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Dreamer is Tommy (in my interpretation) talking about himself. He had a co-writer for some cuts on the album. It may have been Jeff Cook. It's so achingly beautiful.

Mike

DreamWorks
01-13-2007, 11:39 AM
“Michael From Mountains” (Joni Mitchell) Be Human (Yoko Kanno) I die (Stephin Merritt)

P.H.Delarran
01-13-2007, 11:41 AM
I had that impression about Dreamer as well.
Now you've done it, I'll have to listen to some Bolin this weekend.

mooncars
01-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Someone gave me James Gang's Miami lp decades ago. TB was the guitarist then. He played well, but the album was dross.

Guess I'll always dig Alice Cooper. Never a hint of self pity in his stuff. Curiously, I thought I'd outgrow ol' black eyes, but as the years go on, the lyrics have so many deeper levels then I first realized, it's addictive.

DreamWorks
01-13-2007, 12:03 PM
what more could one ask for in lyrics than this:

Michael wakes you up with sweets
He takes you up streets and the rain comes down
Sidewalk markets locked up tight
And umbrellas bright on a grey background
Theres oil on the puddles in taffeta patterns
That run down the drain
In colored arrangements
That michael will change with a stick that he found

(chorus)
Michael from mountains
Go where you will go to
Know that I will know you
Someday I may know you very well

Michael brings you to a park
He sings and its dark when the clouds come by
Yellow slickers up on swings
Like puppets on strings hanging in the sky
Theyll splash home to suppers in wallpapered kitchens
Their mothers will scold
But michael will hold you
To keep away cold till the sidewalks are dry-

(chorus)

Michael leads you up the stairs
He needs you to care and you know you do
Cats come crying to the key
And dry you will be in a towel or two
Theres rain in the window
Theres sun in the painting that smiles on the wall
You want to know all
But his mountains have called so you never do-

new favorite song: how it ends/ Devotchka

moblues
01-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Even though Eighteen was an anthem, give me No More Mister Nice Guy.

Mike

moblues
01-13-2007, 12:16 PM
what more could one ask for in lyrics than this:

I guess it comes down to what you're lookng for, Guy.

I was talking about favorite songs. Not Lyrics. I do hope you check out Tommy Bolin. I think you'll like him.

Mike

mooncars
01-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Even though Eighteen was an anthem, give me No More Mister Nice Guy.

Mike

I agree.

Rock on,
Rick

DreamWorks
01-13-2007, 04:01 PM
sorry mike, i didn't realise you were addressing me!!

yes, i will check it out i promise - thanks for the nudge!

moblues
01-14-2007, 01:36 AM
Guy, if you haven't found anything by Tommy--check his stuff out on youtube.com. The site has a few videos that had been residing there for at least a year. To hear most of the songs, you won't have video. Check out Dreamer (of course) Wild Dogs & Lotus. I believe that the Tommy Bolin Archives allowed this to propagate to create interest in Tommy's music. I wish he was still here to amaze me. If anyone wishes to purchase any of Tommy's work, please go through the website put together by his younger brother Johnnie (he has been the drummer and long-time member of Black Oak Arkansas):

The Bolin Foundation was founded by Johnnie Bolin, Tommy’s brother. The Bolin Foundation’s mission is to preserve the musical legacy of Tommy and his family through raising funds for school music programs and scholarships for individuals who intend to study music. This site has lots of great biographical material, photos of Tommy, a fan forum, and more.

Tommy's work taught me how to write in multiple musical genres. I'll be forever grateful. I'll always feel a deep, sincere loss.

Here is the official link: http://www.tbolin.com/

DreamWorks
01-15-2007, 04:41 AM
yeah, he's great, Mike - thanks!

I just discovered an amazing new artist a couple days ago - devechenko... so I went a little crazy in front of the camera and now you guys can see a homemade video clip of one of my new favorite songs, made by yours truly... press link below!

moblues
01-15-2007, 05:03 AM
Interesting interpretation, Guy. How long have you studied dance?

You said come to me, leave me, come to me with your hands several times. Nice. Evocative.

Mike

DreamWorks
01-15-2007, 05:14 AM
Thanks for putting it so nicely Mike! I did ballet for 7 years, now I'm injured :( So when I do dance it's a big occasion, and I tape it and put it on YouTube! That was like my first time dancing in ages... I think I'm gonna take it down, though - it's embarrassing...

Anyway, back to the topic, correction: Devotchka, not Dovachenko, and he is responsible for most of the amazing soundtrack of Li'l miss sunshine.

moblues
01-15-2007, 05:36 AM
You have nothing to be embarrassed about. Dance is a lot like poetry. It's a very personal art. If you wish to post an updated version, that's great. Don't hide from yourself. Ever.

Mike

a tree of night
01-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Oh, so many songs...

The elite :

Miles Davis, Right Off. If it weren't for the awful voiceover on Yesternow, A Tribute to Jack Johnson might have been my hands down favorite album, end to end.

Paul Simon, Allergies. As if Paul wasn't brilliant enough on his own, he brought in Al DiMeola for the solo. It doesn't get much better than that.

McCoy Tyner Trio, Bon Voyage. Not an easy album to find, but well worth it. I also had the great pleasure of hearing him perform it live.

Beyond those, there are many, many great songs in the world. I'm obviously particular to jazz, but I listen to a lot of classic rock and blues. I can't think of any genre that I don't like at least a song or two from. It would honestly take me days to compile a partial list, though I can say Alice Cooper would take a few slots. I think he has a lot more depth as an artist than most people give him credit for. He's also a pretty interesting guy on a personal level and his radio show is hilarious. Hendrix would be on my list a few times as well, though I'm partial to his jazzier works.

Jim Colyer
01-18-2007, 05:49 AM
Dancing Queen by ABBA.

ABBA video http://jimcolyer.com/papers/entry?id=44

Jongfan
01-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Today, it is Fallout Boy "This Ain't a Scene"

Tomorrow .. who knows

startwearingpurple
02-05-2007, 11:37 PM
I cant pick just one song to be my favorite!

Sometimes I like music to express how I'm feeling in ways I can't and sometimes it's simply for entertainment. I like Music that I can hear the lyrics to, I'm really not into all that 'screaming so loud I may burst a blood vessel' stuff at all but I don't have a defined style either,Im' really influenced by people close to me and all my current favorites are from a cd a friend made me. The most listened to on my MP3 player at the moment is ... Hurricane by Bob Dylan. Great song!

Martin Hall-Kenny
02-05-2007, 11:49 PM
For story telling lyrics, I've always been partial to Chris DeBurgh though not 'Lady in Red'... more like 'Tender Hands' or 'Carry Me'.

Lady Esther
02-06-2007, 04:07 AM
If I had to pick a favorite song, it'd be:

"Stay" by Lisa Loeb

Runners up:

"When I Come Around" by Green Day

"My World" by Avril Lavigne

"The One" by Stacie Orrico

"Trouble Sleeping" by Corinne Bailey Rae

"I'd Rather Be in Love" by Michelle Branch

"Step by Step" by New Kids on the Block (don't ask)

moblues
02-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Hi, Lady. I really like Stay as well. I also like Michelle Branch. Welcome aboard.

Mike

Lady Esther
02-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Thank you. Glad to be here. :)

startwearingpurple
02-09-2007, 02:00 AM
Oh i have two new favorites today.
Both are by the brilliant Muddy Waters:
#1the hoochie coochie man
#2Mannish boy

They are amazing I LOVE them

moblues
02-09-2007, 02:12 AM
Notice my user name? I love the blues, startwearingpurple. In the mid-eighties, I lived one block from the Kingston Mines in Chicago. I practically lived there. Nearly ten years ago I lived on Michigan avenue across the street from Buddy Guy's Legends on Wabash. Yeah, I got the blues.

Mike

startwearingpurple
02-09-2007, 02:22 AM
Thats so class. I only got into the blues recently, i mean i always liked it but i wouldnt have been able to name any good blues artists or anything,The reason i got into it was godfather here made me a cd around christmas with all his favorite music. Im real glad he introduced me to more blues though coz it really is amazing

startwearingpurple
02-27-2007, 10:49 PM
i gotta new favorite :D

anyone ever heard of the the fureys?
well my newest favorite song is when you were sweet sixteen from their album the fureys and davey arthur-live. its very very sweet and it reminds me of happy and sad times. i love this song. they play a mean flute too in the songs the lonesome boatman and seige of a nation.

moblues
02-28-2007, 04:39 AM
i gotta new favorite :D

anyone ever heard of the the fureys?
well my newest favorite song is when you were sweet sixteen from their album the fureys and davey arthur-live. its very very sweet and it reminds me of happy and sad times. i love this song. they play a mean flute too in the songs the lonesome boatman and seige of a nation.

Thanks, Sweepea (I'm getting tired of typing SWP :)). I'll see if I can find a sample.

Mike

startwearingpurple
02-28-2007, 12:04 PM
ohhh i like it

moblues
03-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Hey, Sweepea. I found a few live recordings of The Fureys on YouTube. Good Irish band. You have very mature tastes in music. :)

This was actually a remake of an Al Jolson song.

Mike

startwearingpurple
03-02-2007, 06:14 PM
a remake huh? cool ill have to check out the original. and i never checked to see would they be on youtube, ill be checking that out too.

smiles.

I was told yesterday by my mate that the lead singer is a settled traveller and that he was in the movie gangs of new york. some useless trivia for ya there!

and thanks my taste in music is influenced by my dad and GF(i havent even known him all that long but that dudes had an effect on my taste) really. i do sometimes find something myself that i like but its usually them who introduce me to something new.