Favorite Songs

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
All Along the Watchtower, a Hendrix cover of Dylan was the song that got me. But as a confession, this is my favorite song after that:

I removed the link. It had been on the site for nearly a week, so I at first felt that it would be okay. I can't put AW at risk.

Here is the artist and song:

Ace (Paul Carrack) - How Long

From youtube

Mike

Last edited:

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
Just thought it would be an interesting topic.

Mike

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Very good topic, Mike. Today, I really dug Bowie's Changes. As for fav all time song? Hands down it's Norman 'Hurricane' Smith's Oh, Babe What Would You Say?

How Long is a great tune, though. Good choice.

Rock on,
Rick

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
DW would like this song: Dreamer from Tommy Bolin's album Teaser. This has the best rock gutar solo I have ever heard. Yes, better than the Hendrix version of All Along the Watchtower, and better than Stairway to Heaven. Blech. Sorry, I've got a cold. ;)

Please check out Tommy's stuff. Unfortunately he overdosed at the age of 25 in 1976.

Some of us get second chances. I wish he did.

Mike

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt I could ever pick a favorite. I like so many different things about music at so many different times. And I'm still exploring.
I don't always like the lyrics of the songs that I enjoy the most. And many times good lyrics get sugared down and wasted by a sappy tune.
Ted Nugent's Stranglehold is always the first that comes to mind when this question is asked. Good ole' rock and roll. Scorpion's 'Lovin' You on Sunday Morning' is sweet and romantic but with a good rock feel. I could rock out to bands like Megadeth, ACDC, newer Tesla, etc..all day.
Then there's the musically introspective bands like Pink Floyd, Zeppelin a bit
There's something that Nora Jones sings, hmm, I'll have to look it up. Her voice is wonderfully dreamy and the song just sends shivers.
Catchy lyrics on an upbeat get me. There is current popular song on the radio by Blue October called Into the Ocean - love it. The lyrics are meaningful and the tune is lively, I hum it all day.
Some of my favorite bands for lyrics are Cake, Creed, Audioslave, the Beatles...
I could go on and on. (And that's just covering Rock)
My husband is a musician who plays casually with a couple of groups, and I am forever calling him up suggesting some song or another I just heard, for him to cover.
How would one pick just one???

Last edited:

A. Hamilton

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
moblues said:
DW would like this song: Dreamer from Tommy Bolin's album Teaser. This has the best rock gutar solo I have ever heard.

Please check out Tommy's stuff. Unfortunately he overdosed at the age of 25 in 1976.
I love Tommy Bolin. Someone very close to me introduced his music to me years ago. I have some of his stuff, and Dreamer is my favorite.

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
Dreamer is Tommy (in my interpretation) talking about himself. He had a co-writer for some cuts on the album. It may have been Jeff Cook. It's so achingly beautiful.

Mike

DreamWorks

keep dreaming
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
“Michael From Mountains” (Joni Mitchell) Be Human (Yoko Kanno) I die (Stephin Merritt)

A. Hamilton

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I had that impression about Dreamer as well.
Now you've done it, I'll have to listen to some Bolin this weekend.

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Someone gave me James Gang's Miami lp decades ago. TB was the guitarist then. He played well, but the album was dross.

Guess I'll always dig Alice Cooper. Never a hint of self pity in his stuff. Curiously, I thought I'd outgrow ol' black eyes, but as the years go on, the lyrics have so many deeper levels then I first realized, it's addictive.

DreamWorks

keep dreaming
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
what more could one ask for in lyrics than this:

Michael wakes you up with sweets
He takes you up streets and the rain comes down
Sidewalk markets locked up tight
And umbrellas bright on a grey background
Theres oil on the puddles in taffeta patterns
That run down the drain
In colored arrangements
That michael will change with a stick that he found

(chorus)
Michael from mountains
Go where you will go to
Know that I will know you
Someday I may know you very well

Michael brings you to a park
He sings and its dark when the clouds come by
Yellow slickers up on swings
Like puppets on strings hanging in the sky
Theyll splash home to suppers in wallpapered kitchens
Their mothers will scold
But michael will hold you
To keep away cold till the sidewalks are dry-

(chorus)

Michael leads you up the stairs
He needs you to care and you know you do
Cats come crying to the key
And dry you will be in a towel or two
Theres rain in the window
Theres sun in the painting that smiles on the wall
You want to know all
But his mountains have called so you never do-

new favorite song: how it ends/ Devotchka

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
Even though Eighteen was an anthem, give me No More Mister Nice Guy.

Mike

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
DreamWorks said:
what more could one ask for in lyrics than this:

I guess it comes down to what you're lookng for, Guy.

I was talking about favorite songs. Not Lyrics. I do hope you check out Tommy Bolin. I think you'll like him.

Mike

DreamWorks

keep dreaming
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
sorry mike, i didn't realise you were addressing me!!

yes, i will check it out i promise - thanks for the nudge!

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
Guy, if you haven't found anything by Tommy--check his stuff out on youtube.com. The site has a few videos that had been residing there for at least a year. To hear most of the songs, you won't have video. Check out Dreamer (of course) Wild Dogs & Lotus. I believe that the Tommy Bolin Archives allowed this to propagate to create interest in Tommy's music. I wish he was still here to amaze me. If anyone wishes to purchase any of Tommy's work, please go through the website put together by his younger brother Johnnie (he has been the drummer and long-time member of Black Oak Arkansas):

The Bolin Foundation was founded by Johnnie Bolin, Tommy’s brother. The Bolin Foundation’s mission is to preserve the musical legacy of Tommy and his family through raising funds for school music programs and scholarships for individuals who intend to study music. This site has lots of great biographical material, photos of Tommy, a fan forum, and more.

Tommy's work taught me how to write in multiple musical genres. I'll be forever grateful. I'll always feel a deep, sincere loss.

Here is the official link: http://www.tbolin.com/

Last edited:

DreamWorks

keep dreaming
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
yeah, he's great, Mike - thanks!

I just discovered an amazing new artist a couple days ago - devechenko... so I went a little crazy in front of the camera and now you guys can see a homemade video clip of one of my new favorite songs, made by yours truly... press link below!

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting interpretation, Guy. How long have you studied dance?

You said come to me, leave me, come to me with your hands several times. Nice. Evocative.

Mike

DreamWorks

keep dreaming
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for putting it so nicely Mike! I did ballet for 7 years, now I'm injured :( So when I do dance it's a big occasion, and I tape it and put it on YouTube! That was like my first time dancing in ages... I think I'm gonna take it down, though - it's embarrassing...

Anyway, back to the topic, correction: Devotchka, not Dovachenko, and he is responsible for most of the amazing soundtrack of Li'l miss sunshine.

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
You have nothing to be embarrassed about. Dance is a lot like poetry. It's a very personal art. If you wish to post an updated version, that's great. Don't hide from yourself. Ever.

Mike

a tree of night

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, so many songs...

The elite :

Miles Davis, Right Off. If it weren't for the awful voiceover on Yesternow, A Tribute to Jack Johnson might have been my hands down favorite album, end to end.

Paul Simon, Allergies. As if Paul wasn't brilliant enough on his own, he brought in Al DiMeola for the solo. It doesn't get much better than that.

McCoy Tyner Trio, Bon Voyage. Not an easy album to find, but well worth it. I also had the great pleasure of hearing him perform it live.

Beyond those, there are many, many great songs in the world. I'm obviously particular to jazz, but I listen to a lot of classic rock and blues. I can't think of any genre that I don't like at least a song or two from. It would honestly take me days to compile a partial list, though I can say Alice Cooper would take a few slots. I think he has a lot more depth as an artist than most people give him credit for. He's also a pretty interesting guy on a personal level and his radio show is hilarious. Hendrix would be on my list a few times as well, though I'm partial to his jazzier works.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Today, it is Fallout Boy "This Ain't a Scene"

Tomorrow .. who knows

startwearingpurple

wild crazy curves of me.
Registered
Reaction score
I cant pick just one song to be my favorite!

Sometimes I like music to express how I'm feeling in ways I can't and sometimes it's simply for entertainment. I like Music that I can hear the lyrics to, I'm really not into all that 'screaming so loud I may burst a blood vessel' stuff at all but I don't have a defined style either,Im' really influenced by people close to me and all my current favorites are from a cd a friend made me. The most listened to on my MP3 player at the moment is ... Hurricane by Bob Dylan. Great song!

Martin Hall-Kenny

Registered
Reaction score
For story telling lyrics, I've always been partial to Chris DeBurgh though not 'Lady in Red'... more like 'Tender Hands' or 'Carry Me'.