"Us INSERT PLURAL NOUN HERE ..." Does this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me for using this grammar board way too much. I'm in the middle of re-writes and editing. :D

I'm not sure about this phrase. I asked my husband about it (because somehow it didn't sound right to me), but he said it was grammatically correct. I dunno. Can you help me out?

Something like this: "Us workers ..." "Us residents ..." "Us insert plural noun here ..."

So, the "Us XXX" would act as the subject of the sentence. Would that make "Us" an adjective?

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
If it's the subject, "us" is wrong. It should be "We workers" and we remains a pronoun. The "workers" part would probably considered to be in apposition.

We workers are tired of getting a raw deal. Correct, but if it's dialogue "us" could be used because it's a frequent mistake.

The new construction in the neighbourhood will threaten the lifestyle of us residents. Also correct. "Us" is here the object of a preposition and "we" is just plain wrong. Also frequently used anyway. Because so few words in English actually have indicators of case (whether it's a subject or an object or possessive), native speakers tend to make a lot of mistakes. Foreigners more often get it right, because they often come from backgrounds where the language insists on case endings or forms much more frequently, so they're consciously aware of it.

In a nutshell, use I, he, she, we and they ONLY if they are the subject of the verb. Use me, him, her, us and them whenever they are the object of the verb or a preposition. It doesn't make any difference if the word "and" is involved, nor if there are other nouns involved.

Me and Bobby are going to the store is wrong.

Can you come to the store with me and Bobby? is correct, no matter what your mother said.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It should be we instead of us. :)

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I couldn't put my finger on it. I did this twice in my manuscript. But by the second time, I just wasn't so sure. It looked weird. :Shrug:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with what's been said--but remember, if it's dialogue, mistakes ordinary people make can add a layer of 'real.'

Maryn, just sayin' is all

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. I've often heard people say things like, "Us regular folks..." when they wanted to distinguish themselves from the highbrow set. Otherwise, "we."

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Judg said:
If it's the subject, "us" is wrong. It should be "We workers" and we remains a pronoun. The "workers" part would probably considered to be in apposition.

<clipped>
But if it's the object, "us" is correct: "The new laws aren't fair to us stay-at-home mums." Whether you like the way it sounds is another question.

It seems to me that this is one of those issues where people over-correct and get it wrong. The following two examples are incorrect:

"That sort of statement doesn't sit well with we writers."

"This is not fair to you or I."

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
poetinahat said:
But if it's the object, "us" is correct: "The new laws aren't fair to us stay-at-home mums." Whether you like the way it sounds is another question.

It seems to me that this is one of those issues where people over-correct and get it wrong. The following two examples are incorrect:

"That sort of statement doesn't sit well with we writers."

"This is not fair to you or I."
Sohia had specified it was a subject. You did read my entire post, right? I'm sort of wondering how you are taking issue with me and agreeing with everything I said at the same time. But maybe I'm misunderstanding you. In the meanwhile, I agree with everything you said.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sure did read the whole post, Judg.

I certainly didn't mean to give the appearance of correcting you; I knew what the question was. I was continuing from your line of thought. Maybe I turned it into a digression; just trying to add something more than a "me too" to the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.