Status
Not open for further replies.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
What's the difference between, a question and a request? How would you structure a request? Also, how would you speak of a request, aside from writing it? (This has been playing on my mind, all night)

I am curious, to know :) All comments are welcomed :D

P.S-I didn't know where to put this (EDIT:I stuck it in Office Party before. If your a moderator can, you please delete it. I found a spot for it, here instead. Thanks)

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Not to insult your intelligence, but the question has a question mark at the end. It's that simple. A request is a statement that solicits a favor, but is not phrased as a question. A request can be declined, but proper etiquette would require some kind of explanation as to why. And of course, just for clarity's sake, a demand simply gives an order without proper room for a decline.

Request: "Please take out the trash."
It's a statment, but leaves the person receiving the statement room to say decline, perhaps by saying "I'm sorry, I can't. I'm too busy writing."

Question: "Can you take out the trash?"
Simple. This can be declined with a variation of either "yes" or "no."

Demand: "Take out the trash."
This statement implies that there is no room for bowing out. You do it, plain and simple.

Hope that helps.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I"m going to differ with engmajor.

A request can be formulated as a question: Could you get the milk, please?

When you make a request you are asking FOR something, a service, an object, forgiveness, whatever. It may or may not be formulated as a question.

A question is an interrogation of any kind. The voice rises at the end and it's written with a question mark. It may or may not be a request.

Why is the sky blue? is a question but not a request.
Engmajor's Please take out the trash. is a request but not a question.
Could you hand me the dictionary? is both a request and a question.
I am finally finished pontificating. is neither a request nor a question. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.