Has this been done before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
In the realm of horror, has anyone taken the 'haunted house' idea and applied it to a city wide basis? A story about where normal life is shattered when the city, where ever it is, suddenly comes to life, a malign (That is evil) intelligence has taken control of the inanimate objects and buildings themselves to torment and slay the inhabitants of the city.

Has this been done before? If not, can it be done. I think so.

But It wouldn't be all blood and guts. Remember the 'torment' bit, right? Torment THEN slay. And I mean torment in a psychological sense, not a physical sense.

Now WHY this happens and HOW it happens...thats the things I need to think up.​

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Y'know I recall an episode of Danny Phantom being similar to this. Hey, all kidding aside, just about everything has been done before so it's our job to give each story we approach with a new, fresh spin. Done right and it becomes "totally different" or "fresh and unusual". That's one leg of the writing race to sprint for.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I see. You know I should have expected an answer like that, but for some reason I didn't :)

So I was thinking of calling this "Dark City"

Oh wait.

Jackie Coupe

Evil Lord
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.witness-online.com
I always remember 'Maximum Overdrive' or 'Trucks' as the Stephen King short story was titled, it involved cars and stuff coming to life to kill people.
Silent Hill also involves a very haunted town.

I'm not saying this would be the same, just things to be aware of.

:tongue

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Anything can be done if you do it right.

Monster House x 100,000

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
Ghost Busters

ETA: It's all been written again and again. A haunted city is only the haunted house, haunted neighborhood on a grander scale, so yes, it's been done. But you can give us new perspectives by developing extraordinary characters and allowing us to share their challenges. It isn't what you write but how you write. So write.

And Dark City has been used. It was a movie but to me a story is a story and I wount share my titles.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Done

When someone asks "Has this ever been done?" the answer is pretty much always yes, it has been done. The question is "Has this ever been done as well as you're going to do it?"

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Jamesaritchie said:
The question is "Has this ever been done as well as you're going to do it?"

Now that is the one-million dollar question. Of course, after publishing costs, marketing expenditures, and a host of fees, you could call it the "fifteen hundred dollar advance" question.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just do your own take on it. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Pike said:
Now that is the one-million dollar question. Of course, after publishing costs, marketing expenditures, and a host of fees, you could call it the "fifteen hundred dollar advance" question.

You know, to go off on a tangent, that's something I've wondered about. I've never sold a horror novel, and that's one department my publisher never lets me edit novels in, but it seems to me I hear horror novelists talking about small advances quite often.

I know first horror novels get reasonable advances from my publsiher, but do they across the board? Or are most first horror novels sold to smaller publishers with smaller advances? Anyone know?

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Zoombie,
Everyone has given you excellent advice. I agree with James---mostly everything has been done but it is up to add your own flavor to it. Us writers all strive for that---adding our own twists and turns to old stories and themes. Good luck to you! ;)

Laurawrites

Super Morbid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.laurawrites.net
cities

Hello, Zoombie.

I've racked my brain and can't seem to think of anything precisely like what you're talking about, although the concept has been undertaken in far more minor ways.

Movies like, "Silent Hill," always take place in these tiny towns and bergs that have a small population. More often than not, the cities aren't "haunted" as you describe so much as "non-existent." The victims must pass through some sort of portal or doorway to reach them.

I like your way of thinking, though. I'd say it absolutely could be done and, if you are ambitious, go for it. That could be pretty awesome.

AliceNred

I was thinking of Silent Hill.

But as most have said, what matters is the telling and if you can place a eliment in tale. Who knows, perhaps you can.

Just write.

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
I was thinking about doing something like that, not a city but a small-ish town maybe. The I got sidetracked with a new novel so maybe someday I'll get to it...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
A story about where normal life is shattered when the city, where ever it is, suddenly comes to life, a malign (That is evil) intelligence has taken control of the inanimate objects and buildings themselves to torment and slay the inhabitants of the city.

Has anyone mentioned Ghostbusters? Sounds just like the plot used in those movies.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
Yeah makes me think of Silent Hill (which, lets not forget was a survival horror game first! :) ). Of course it didn't just go all wonky for no reason. It was swallowed by the hell mouth.

I think it can be done but you would have to put a whole new spin on it as other's have already said.

Status
Not open for further replies.