Not open for further replies.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
I have not been in here much because I have been writing a lot lately. And yesterday, I got several assignments from a couple of publications that I had never submitted to or written for.

I got one story they wanted me to turn in within two hours (an advance for a local paper - and it was in today's paper) before leaving the building. And I was also asked to cover an event for them on Sunday -- also for their daily. (will run monday)

BUT, the reason I went in was to talk about writing for the local magazine -- AND I got two magazine stories assigned, both with "Five things to...." sidebars (I'm their new fashion writer!) Woohoo! :snoopy:

Ok, so my daughters laughed. (one of my stories includes do's and dont's and they teased me and asked if i was the don't.) But they really were quite happy for me.

And about an hour later, a dozen long-stemmed roses arrived from my best friend -- congratulating me on my new "journalistic success!"

Definitely in seventh heaven here! :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoo Hoo September...I was just thinking of you today...Happy for your accomplishment!:)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Whoo & Congrats, SS!!!

Roses are red
Violets are brown.
It couldn't happen to
A nicer friend around!!!

Hey, now can you adopt howie and me!??? :D

That's way cool, September Skies, and how sweet of your daughters & your friend. :Hug2:

Party time: :Cake: :popcorn: :Cake: snoopy: :hooray: more :Cake: :D

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Good for you!

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Remember that you don't have to know everything about fashion! You try to think of what you really want to know, and then find the fashion experts in your town and ask them. Then quote them, and you're off the hook! Could even include the conversation with your daughters in the first column. ;) (Unless it doesn't fit with the tone the magazine wants.)

Congratulations!

ltd.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.estheravila.com
Thanks again. I am just wondering about those sidebars. When you go with "top five" this or that -- how do you really know if they are the top five -- i can ask some fashion experts but i am sure even they will differ --- do i just pick what i like and what i feel really are top five. (I have three different top five lists to make with the articles)

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.estheravila.com
Thanks, again, guys. Exciting too about the newspapers -- I had forgotten that the newspaper from the town next door (about 10 miles away) is owned by the same paper here and my Thursday story appeared in both papers. I'm covering a live event for them Sunday.

As to the glossy magazines -- I can't wait to see my articles in there. That's quite exciting. I've already touched base with a couple of experts. And I'm not clueless to fashion -- I'm a Ralph Lauren - Chaps - and CK girl myself :) But my kids (who are more abercrombie/roxy/LaCoste/american eagle) just enjoy teasing me.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I'm in awe, SeptSkies. Way too go! I hope you keep it up and it's great you're going outside the norm to write about other topics. Keep us updated and go get'em!

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.estheravila.com
:( my story is not due till april 1 on this but i am having the hardest time getting anyone to talk to me (referring to retail establishments) --- all i asked was which of something was their most popular item and they aren't allowed to say a word -- company policy "do not talk to the press"

it's not even like i am asking for a direct quotes -- i just need to find their most popular product. i have gone to five places -- all said the same thing.

i also asked two places if they had any hints on how to care for the item in question (cleaning and storing suggestions) and they could not even tell me!

I may have to wait a couple of weeks and go back in as a consumer -- no notebook in hand -- and just ask and see if they give me any info. But then i can't quote them, so not sure that helps -- other than it might give me some direction as to how to proceed.

i suppose the thing to do is find out where they get the items from and go direct to the sales reps for the area -- they are always willing to market their products in any way they can, right?

any other suggestions? I know i'm kind of vague -- but for the one story in question, i just need the top five most popular items and how to care for them.....

frustrating!

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that is weird. But most companies have PR departments; the people there are used to talking to the press and very anxious to do so.

Also, you could try smaller, local retailers and talk to the owners. They should be extremely happy to get the exposure, and they can sometimes be a wealth of information!

You may just not be talking to the right people at the store. Were you asking the regular employees, or the managers?

HTH,
ltd.

p.s. September, I don't remember, are you in the U.S.? I don't know if might be different in other countries.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.estheravila.com
Yes, I am in California.

I always ask for the manager. They are the largest sports-stores in town (chains) but I did finally go also to a local sports store -- there I may have luck, the owner will call me back next week - he was out of town.

The big chain stores did tell me that I could leave my card and they would need to get corporate permission or have one of them call me. I did this at two places and they both said it would take 2-3 weeks. So far, no calls.

You would think they would want their name out there or mentioned in the story. Especially in such a positive way. I mean, this is a cool summer story, not a negative story.

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I am in California.

I always ask for the manager. They are the largest sports-stores in town (chains) but I did finally go also to a local sports store -- there I may have luck, the owner will call me back next week - he was out of town.

The big chain stores did tell me that I could leave my card and they would need to get corporate permission or have one of them call me. I did this at two places and they both said it would take 2-3 weeks. So far, no calls.

You would think they would want their name out there or mentioned in the story. Especially in such a positive way. I mean, this is a cool summer story, not a negative story.

Exactly. But I can understand the big chains wanting to have their thumbs firmly planted on any employee speaking on behalf of the company. That's understandable. I think you should try the corporate website, find the PR contact person, and email them with a request for information. At the same time, you can mention that you would like to talk to the local store manager for your piece. I'll bet that you'll be well-received. As I said before, the PR people are used to this kind of thing.

Hope it just gets more fun from here on out! I love interviewing. It's one of my favorite things - and that surprised me. :) People are so interesting.

ltd.

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
Good going! Can't wait to see the finished product! :D

I had to deal with getting a call from corporate once for a story I was working on. so much red tape, isn't there? And the kicker was that they never called back..you'd think they would want the FREE publicity! LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.