Category Mystery/Chick-lit?

allofthehamms

Registered
Reaction score
I have written a novel that is a murder mystery, but is definitely more geared towards women than men, similar in style to Diane Mott Davidson's Chocolate series. It has a lot of humor, but not the youth or romance that I often see described in the chick-lit genre. To describe it as simply a Mystery, seems lacking. Any suggestions?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote something similar and called it a humorous mystery.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
There are quite a few mysteries like this now, as women readers become a more popular audience in the genre (what Buffy the Vampire Slayer started seems to be spilling over into other genres). Janet Evonovich has a mystery series that's humorous and oriented to women, and there are a number of cosies that are very clearly written for women (i.e., needlework mysteries, cooking mysteries, etc.). Just make sure you send it to an agent who takes that type of mystery.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Mystery

allofthehamms said:
I have written a novel that is a murder mystery, but is definitely more geared towards women than men, similar in style to Diane Mott Davidson's Chocolate series. It has a lot of humor, but not the youth or romance that I often see described in the chick-lit genre. To describe it as simply a Mystery, seems lacking. Any suggestions?

Your synopsis will describe the novel far beyond any label you put in it, so I wouldn't worry about it.

M.A.Gardener

Registered
Reaction score
Hi allof,

It depends on the target age of the reader. Take a look at Jane Isenberg's Bel Barrett series. Very funny, and aimed at menopausal women - who'duv thunk? "Chick Lit" generally refers to younger women. I heard a term for the rest of us at a writer's conference: "Hen Lit." ;)

allofthehamms

Registered
Reaction score
Hen lit...I love it, what about cozy?

Hen lit...if it's not an official genre, it should be!!

I keep seeing mention of a "cozy mystery". Is this the description for "lady mystery solvers"? Is it something that you would put in a letter, or is it a negative... Anyone have a good description, or opinion? Thanks.

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
M.A.Gardener said:
Hi allof,

It depends on the target age of the reader. Take a look at Jane Isenberg's Bel Barrett series. Very funny, and aimed at menopausal women - who'duv thunk? "Chick Lit" generally refers to younger women. I heard a term for the rest of us at a writer's conference: "Hen Lit." ;)

Mary Stewart wrote suspense novels for older women and they were immensely popular. Her heroines are usually around thirty and sometimes widowed or divorced. Her books are still quite readable. "The Ivy Tree" is something of a classic in the field, with a nice twist on the old impersonation theme.