Psyching yourself up to quit...

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Why am I putting off quitting this job? I HATE this job. It's torturous, inane work that doesn't pay enough. Why can't I bring myself to call my manager? I really just want quit in e-mail... can I do that instead?

I told myself today was the day, I'm giving two weeks. I have other work, I have money saved up... so why am I nervous about it??

Help me quit my job! PLEASE!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I never walk into a place I don't know how to walk out of.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can do it, Christine. You have other work and money. Your writing is going well. Kids like your books. It's embarassing to have to dump your job. We're conditioned not to "let people down." But post-poning the inevitable won't change things. Call the manager and quit that job. Then celebrate!

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Because it's a change. You might hate what you're doing now, but it is a known. Familiar. What comes next is unknown and while the unknown can be exciting, it is also scary. A standard 9-to-5 job is a safety net. Someone else is responsible for finding the work that brings in the money. Outside of that, you have to do it. And what happens if you fail?

The counter question to that is, what happens if you never try?

Submitting your resignation by e-mail is perfectly acceptable. Before the days of e-mail, people would resign by letter all the time.

Take a deep breath. It's a big decision, but you're the only one that can make it.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just resist the urge to moon your boss on the way out. You just never know when you might want to put that place down, on something, somewhere, for references :D

Other than that, go for it ! Take that leap (this from a frog on a fence post)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Christine it must be that time of year....
Kinda like my saying under my avatar...
My 2cents Never burn your bridges, be classy enough to do it in person with direct eye contact...You'll feel better about yourself as well as earn the persons respect.

PS I've been out of the work world awhile..so I don't know about the acceptability of email :)

Last edited:

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Christine, if you've made up your mind, then take a big breath, let it out slowly, take another breath, and say the magic "I quit" words. You can do it.
You've made the decision. That's the tough part. Giving voice to the decision only takes a second and then it's done.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I did it. Here's the e-mail I sent.

Fred,
I am giving my two weeks' notice as of today, January 11, 2007. No problem or difficulty led to this decision; it's just time for me to move on. NAM was good to me, and a the job was what I needed when I started three years ago, but I've just outgrown it and have other avenues I wish to pursue.

I know you said to call your cell phone for an 'emergency', but since I'm not walking out on you right away, I didn't think this qualified. Besides, I felt I would express myself better in writing.

I will remain until the end of the cycle, and make sure I return all my inventory to the shed by the end of that time. We can make arrangements for me to return the handheld and all its attachements, etc...please call me and we'll work out a convenient time for both of us.

You have been a pleasure to work with, Fred, as has everyone else I've met at NAM and all the girls. I will miss the people I've worked with.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Christine Norris

Wow, it feels weird. In one way, relieved. In another, nervous about quitting a job that really is perfectly good, except for the fact I have to cart around a trunk full of crap and I physically hurt once a month after the big ad change.

I have enough money and freelance work that if I don't teach a day in the next couple of months I'll be ok with bills.

You're right Birol, it's that uncertainty. But I'm excited.

Cross off the first Goal of 2007! I did it!

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
I handed in my notice to my job today as well. Weird!

I had a moment of clarity over Christmas whereby I decided to force myself into the world I want to be in rather than wait for everything to happen. I like my job a lot but it takes up so much of my time that it started to relegate my writing to the status of hobby, you know, something I do in my spare time and that won't do.

Fortunately my boss was absolutely on my side about this. I said from the start that my writing was more important to me than anything and that she would respect that if it ever became a problem. She was good enough to live up to that agreement today. No guilt, no problems, just happy that I was giving it a shot. God bless her.

So anyway, I have a project to finish at work but I should be done by mid March. Then I'm out on my ass and it's all up to me.

Last edited:

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Clock work... yes... that was it, among other things. I have two other part time jobs, one that's freelancing and I can do from home. Between the three, I felt like I had NO time for anything important to me, or even stuff like, yanno, cleaning the house.

Just going for it!

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Holy Crappiola just the thread I need. I told my boss last summer I was leaving at the end of the year. Then she asked if I would stay until raises and bonuses, find out in February and paid first Friday in March. I’m not about to turn down money. Now, I booked a trip to London, and I don’t have another job lined up. I know my boss wants me to stay, the money is good, but I HATE MY JOB! I did send a resume to Harpo, Inc. last week. Yeah... like they’re going to call me.

Congratulations and Good Luck Christine!

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm leaving my job one day at a time. I work 2 days a week now, but starting the beginning of February I'll only work 1 day a week, until I can't stand that and then that'll be it.

Good on yer, Christine.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Christine N. said:
Clock work... yes... that was it, among other things. I have two other part time jobs, one that's freelancing and I can do from home. Between the three, I felt like I had NO time for anything important to me, or even stuff like, yanno, cleaning the house.

Just going for it!

Good for you. It's the fear that sets your free. Before making my decision I drew up a list of pros and cons for leaving my job. Both lists were identical in length but one entry on the pro list sealed the deal because it carried more weight than the others combined -- "Leaving will force me to try."

Reaction score
dclary said:
I never walk into a place I don't know how to walk out of.

That and also don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
That and also don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.

Who the hell are you two... James Caan in THIEF?

Riddler

Disturbingly silly
Registered
Reaction score
Throw out one of these:

"Knock knock."
"Who's there?"
"Not me anymore. See ya!"
and then you run for the door.

I actually quit my first job after college by sitting my boss down and explaining to him that I was firing him as my boss. That felt great.

At my last job, I slipped my resignation on my boss's desk, winked at him, and then left his office, turning off the light and leaving him in the dark.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Christine N. said:
Help me quit my job! PLEASE!

If you're not doing something worth your while doing, then don't. The choice is yours.

There are 23,023,034,452,402 jobs out there; surely there's something you'd like to do.

There, clear enough?

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
There are 23,023,034,452,402 jobs out there; surely there's something you'd like to do.

Who counted them?

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Ugh! My boss wants to talk to me tonight. He was 'shocked and surprised' at the e-mail.

Ok, so I really haven't given any indication that I wanted to quit before this. It's not that it's a BAD job - I just HATE it. It was good for me when I started, because my son was small and I needed something flexible.

Now I don't really 'need' the job anymore. And every ad change my feet and back hurt SO much. I'm good at the job too, but frankly I think most people would be good at it with a little effort.

Sigh. I'm not getting out of here easily.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Christine,

All you have to do is tell him the truth. He can't make you keep working. Just keep repeating the truth - it's time for you to move on - don't let him change your mind.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Christine N. said:
Ugh! My boss wants to talk to me tonight. He was 'shocked and surprised' at the e-mail.

Ok, so I really haven't given any indication that I wanted to quit before this. It's not that it's a BAD job - I just HATE it. It was good for me when I started, because my son was small and I needed something flexible.

Now I don't really 'need' the job anymore. And every ad change my feet and back hurt SO much. I'm good at the job too, but frankly I think most people would be good at it with a little effort.

Sigh. I'm not getting out of here easily.

Like Maggie said, this is not a time for debate. As far as you're concered, the decision is made. If your boss wants you to stay, he will try to talk you round. Don't get into defending yourself against every point he makes. Just keep repeating what you want.

If he becomes annoying and is constantly nagging at you, the best thing to do is to say, "Well, I'll think about it over the weekend and give you my final decision on Monday." Then follow it up on Monday with another email. It's probably worth typing up a very simple letter that you can hand to him personally or, even better, send to HR or an equivalent if the company has it. Formal written notice is always a good way to go and it needn't be complicated. I've quit jobs with nothing more than--

Dear Mr. Boss-man,

I hereby formally submit two week's notice of my resignation as (computer programmer) in accordance with (Microsoft's) company policy. As per my contract, my last day of employment will be 12th February, 2007.

Sincerely,

Mr. Me.

Keep it as formal as you can for everyone's sake.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
tourdeforce said:
Who the hell are you two... James Caan in THIEF?

I know Billy's Deniro in the film Heat. At least you got it right with it being a Michael Mann flick.

Congrats Christine. Good luck in future ventures.

kuatolives

Gonzo Journalist
Registered
Reaction score
Never quit till you have another gig lined up. This is the one immutable rule of the employment universe you should never break.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I have two other gigs. That's part of the problem - for three months I've been working three part time jobs. It's making me crazy. This one is the lowest paying and the biggest trouble for the money. So out it goes.

Today I mailed out School Author visit packets. I'm taking my life by the horns and giving it a good shake.