Greek Mythology: Killing a God/Goddess

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggerBoat

Just Shovelin' Chum
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are there any reference in Greek Mythology to killing (not just banishing, sending to Tarturus, etc.) a God or Goddess?

Alternatively, how about references to Gods/Goddesses being made mortal?

I've googled and crawled many of the mythology sites but am having trouble finding a story that relates to either of these situations.

Thanks!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
The only one I know of is Asclepius, the Greek god of healing. He was the son of Apollo and the lake nymph Coronis. His healing powers were so great that he once raised a man from the dead. Zeus was infuriated because it threatened the gods' monopoly of immortality. Zeus killed him with a thunderbolt, but Apollo requested that he be placed among the stars after his death.

Apollo was briefly made mortal by Zeus as a punishment, and forced to act as a servant to the oracles of Delphi.

Those are the only two I can think of. Hope it helps! :)

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
BiggerBoat said:
Are there any reference in Greek Mythology to killing (not just banishing, sending to Tarturus, etc.) a God or Goddess?

Alternatively, how about references to Gods/Goddesses being made mortal?

I've googled and crawled many of the mythology sites but am having trouble finding a story that relates to either of these situations.

Thanks!

Well, interesting question.

But has interesting answers. Like:

Was Hercules a god or not? Sure, sure, sure, he was half Olympian...the son of a god and all that jazz. He had extraordinary strength and resiliency but didn't live in Olympus. After his death he was placed into the pantheon of the heavens as a constellation as well.

But was he a god?

How about Chronos? He was killed by the Titans who were later killed/imprisoned by the current gods.

Orpheus? Again, son of a god. Callisto. Son of a muse. Hrmmm...do they count as gods?

Of course there is the legend of the end of the gods, where Olympus fell and all the gods would be dead.

Wish I had some ready websites for your perusal but most of my mythology stuff is offline in the form of actual books:

this link has a bit on Dionysus who was killed by Titans and later resurrected by Rhea: http://edweb.sdsu.edu/people/bdodge/scaffold/GG/othergod.html

Good luck with the search.

Rabe...

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
A god cannot be killed--however, to swear an oath on the River Styx and break it puts a god into a coma for a number of years, and then they're banished from Olympus for a while. Banishment to Tartarus is also tantamount to death--there's a reason you never hear from Cronus et co. again.

The poster above listed some heroes, who tend to be the offspring of gods. For the most part, the child of a mortal and a god will be mortal; but sometimes, based on the whim of the storyteller, the kid'll be an actual god.

ETA: Asclepius was actually only a hero when he was in mortal danger, and was later deified by future generaltions of storytellers.

Last edited:

BiggerBoat

Just Shovelin' Chum
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. This has helped.

Elektra: I'd expect you to know a thing or two about Greek mythology.

And, yeah, I think the offspring of humans and gods are often considered demigods. They are often long-lived and have special powers/skills, but they are still mortal and can be killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.