The "Avoid Stephen King At All Costs" Challenge

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
What's this thread about?

Anything.

Talk about anything writing related. Anything at all.

But you CANNOT reference Stephen King, or his books, or anything that would require mentioning his name or one of his book titles, or any signingns or readings he had done, at all. Period.

In any given thread at this here Water Cooler, if it goes on long enough, somebody will mention this great man. I'd like to see how long we can avoid it.

Dear moderator, if someone does so, would you close the post?

Fellow writers, are we ready?

Then...GO!

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Wait - you mentioned him in your post. Couldn't it be said you just deconstructed your own idea? LOL

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
I thought about that one, and much like races don't start until you say "GO!" I reasoned that this challenge wouldn't start until I said go.

(I'm saying go again lest this post be a loophole).

Okay, GO!

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
LOL - way to work around that.

Okay, I'll play. My current novel involves an Oni, which is a Japanese demon. I've had a lot of fun trying to research about it, though I can't find a whole lot of info, so if anyone has any thoughts, info, links, etc., I'd love to know.

I've googled it and pretty much have found the same resources (wikipedia, etc).

There - how was that? :D

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
gclare said:
So, it WOULD be entirely appropriate to discuss Star Trek on this thread also? Excellent.... Who then was the best captain?

Picard, hands down. :)

Giftedrhonda, have you tried www.occultopedia.com or www.pantheon.org (Encyclopedia Mythica)? I didn't check either site before posting the links, so there may not be any information on Oni, but I've found those sites to be great sources.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
glclare - Picard was my fav... :D

KimJo - thanks for the linkage!!!

JohnB1988

Registered
Reaction score
Hu?

Is this chalange one of those Greek turtle that never reaches the finish line but only gets closer and closer things?

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Check the 299 section of your local public library. You might find books on Japanese mythology there.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about Japanese myth, but ask if you want to know about anything Greek. :)

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
What if, ya know, the guy inferred in the OP, stops in and says 'Hi'? It's rumored he strolls around here, sometimes.

Last edited:

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
Rllgthunder said:
What if, ya know, the guy mention by the OP, stops in and says 'Hi'? It's rumored he strolls around here, sometimes.

Rumors, HA. When he that shall remain nameless sends me email and says Hi, I'm Him, then I might believe.

However, should in some freak of happenstance he decide to post here, I think we could all exonerate him for not abiding by the rules.

Yes, I am tap dancing around decree. I am a rebel and rules are meant to be stretched to the breaking point! Were I a true delinquent I'd have said it!!! I'd have SAID... :e2thud:

I can't say it. oof.

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
So this whole thread is turning into conjecture about whether the nameless one is here.

What if one of us is the nameless one in a cunning disguise. It's not me BTW

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was over in the Royalty thread trying to decide who should be..uh..Queen for the week and I just had to say: Picard. ETA: I didn't mean Picard should be queen. Just that he was my favorite captain.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Okay people. We're skirting dangerously close to the termination of this challenge and we're what, only sixteen posts in? Let's focus people--FOCUS! We can have one conversation about writing without invoking The Name.

So...has anybody read Eats, Shoots & Leaves? Fun read, plus I find myself being more artistic with my punctuation. Truss really elevates those marks from being tools to just as much of the writing process as similies, metaphors, and--dare I say--character development.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with anything, but I own and love Death Cult Armageddon. That's the Vienna Philharmonic (I think) doing the orchestral parts. I read an interview with the band where they talked about recording the orchestra:
"(they) kept drifting out of time...they're not used to recording this type of thing", said one member in possibly one of the biggest understatements ever.

STEPHEN KING

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Such a shining idea for a thread. The difficulty of the request may put it in the dead zone, but at least you took the stand. On writing, talking about the body or even your friend Christine, I'm sure you knew the challenge and misery of such an undertaking, so when I'm on the nightshift, I'll be running, man.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Yes, well, our thoughts are elsewhere while we're gearing up for the storm of the century, but I'm getting thinner even thinking about the nightmares and dreamscapes I'll have this evening. I'll have to take a couple tommyknockers before bed to fend of, you know...it.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone like Bachmen, Turner, Overdrive? I heard one of them left the band to write short stories.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Rllgthunder said:
Anyone like Bachmen, Turner, Overdrive? I heard one of them left the band to write short stories.
Max Overdrive? He's dead and buried now...in the pet cemetery.