PDA

View Full Version : Geez, she must have really hated it...

FloVoyager
01-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Got a partial back today with a form rejection postcard enclosed. No comments, no signature, no nuthin'. Just the postcard. She must have really hated it, but I have no idea why. She liked the query enough to ask for the partial, and it was all properly edited and formatted, and I know the book's good, gosh darn it! So I'm a little bummed. So I'm sending out two more queries today.

StoryG27
01-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Nah, if she REALLY hated it, there would be comments. . .trust me.

Don't worry about why, you'll just drive yourself insane. Just keep doing what you're doing and sending out more queries.

icerose
01-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Just look at it as a "no" and move on. No point in analyzing something you can't use. It could be any number of things that made her reply that way. Don't dwell on it and don't let it get you down.

Chocolate?

giftedrhonda
01-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I wouldn't take it as anything more than a form rejection. ((hugs)) doesn't make those suck any less, but I wouldn't take it personally.

Meerkat
01-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Yes...it's all about you, isn't it. Here's the reality: She didn't hate IT, she really must have hated...US! WE wanted to be reading what rudities she wrote. WE wanted to share the outrage. She hated us, and deprived us of all that.

Seriously, the third...dieth or so query is the charmer--keep plugging!

Little Red Barn
01-11-2007, 10:40 PM
:Hug2: Keep sending...it only takes one.

farfromfearless
01-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Keep sending out those queries!

Odile
01-11-2007, 10:54 PM
You got a rejection too, boohoo. NEXT agent!
Just curious;
did you write 'requested material' on your work?

johnzakour
01-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Nah, if they really hate it they send you threats.

MidnightMuse
01-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Try not to read more into it than is there (I know it's hard not to, we all do it). It really doesn't hurt any more than any other "No" we get, does it?

Buck up, have a Hershey bar, and send more queries! :)

clara bow
01-12-2007, 01:51 AM
sometimes they like the premise, but not the execution. Just keep querying until you find someone who sees the light.

andracill
01-12-2007, 02:52 AM
I've had an agent read three different requested fulls of mine...and each one was returned with a form no -- my own fault for continuing to query her! I've decided to stop the torture ;)

Jamesaritchie
01-12-2007, 04:21 AM
Got a partial back today with a form rejection postcard enclosed. No comments, no signature, no nuthin'. Just the postcard. She must have really hated it, but I have no idea why. She liked the query enough to ask for the partial, and it was all properly edited and formatted, and I know the book's good, gosh darn it! So I'm a little bummed. So I'm sending out two more queries today.

She may have hated it. No big deal. Have you ever read this: http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Reject.html

Form rejections only mean you have to worry about the quality of your writing when you receive them from agent after agent after agent after agent.

Tia Nevitt
01-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Believe me, if she hated it, you probably would know. My very first rejection was absolutely scathing and completely mortifying.

WildScribe
01-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Next time may be luckier. We'll see if I'm still sounding so confident when my own queries begin to go out. *bites my nails*

FloVoyager
01-12-2007, 06:26 PM
sometimes they like the premise, but not the execution.
Could be, I suppose. Or maybe she was just cleaning off her desk after the holidays. *shrugs*

Yes, I put "requested material," on the envelope, but good thinking, Odile.

She may have hated it. No big deal. Have you ever read this: http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Reject.html
:D No, I hadn't seen that. Good one.

I've had an agent read three different requested fulls of mine...and each one was returned with a form no
Three fulls, and no comments back? Gosh.

Thanks everyone. I was under the impression if they troubled to read a partial (or full) they'd have something to say besides, "Not for us..." blah blah blah. Live and learn.

Sending out another query today. We'll see.

And back to writing. I'm about half way through the first draft of the next one.

Sury
01-13-2007, 07:55 AM
GOOD LUCK, Flo! You are already showing great attitude. Things will work out for you. :)

Sury

glassquill
01-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Best of luck with your next query!

Branwyn
01-17-2007, 09:29 PM
I had an agent regect the same query twice! OUCH!!!!

Good Luck!

andracill
01-18-2007, 06:38 AM
I had an agent regect the same query twice! OUCH!!!!

I've had an agent reject the same *full* twice -- both times with a form! it happens ;) The balance is when another agent, a very respected one, responds even to a query with a personal response.