Not open for further replies.

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Hi,

I've got a scene in a fantasy novel that involves wolves, which I know very little about. Specifically, the wolves are attacking (and then giving up on) a woman sleeping rough. For context: The scene takes place in Scotland (yes, there were wolves there then) with two faeries following a distraught teenager. The girl collapses in a heap of tears some 10 miles from her village and the wolves move in. She ends up climbing a tree and the wolves move on in search of an easier meal.

Does this, er, sound anything near like sensible/possible? I'm happy to post the full scene, if there is someone that is willing to check it for bloopers. :)

* Sylvia *

jsh

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on whether they get a bite on her. If one of the wolves gets a hold of her, then only intervention is going to save her. Ever see wild dogs take down a gazelle on a nature program? I think they'd get her limbs and pull in every direction until one gets her gut and rips her open. If she's alerted in time, I can imagine her getting up a tree.

FWIW, I don't think wolves have historically seen humans as a food source, so unless there's a plot reason for the wolves to attack, you should be prepared for some angry letters. :-D

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Depends on how accurate you want to be. Wolves are much maligned animals who rarely attack humans, although it does occasionally occur. Literary wolves, however, do it all the time.

You could always attribute the wolves' atypical behavior to the influence of whatever magical elements you have in the story.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I think I read somewhere (and it stuck) that wolves tend to attack in a 'pass and slash' fashion, taking turns until the prey is debilitated. The girl could whack at them with a stick as each moves in.

Your question made me curious, and I came across this article that may help you with wolf attack behaviour:
http://www.wolfpark.org/Articles/Wyman.html

Tallymark

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...the only thing I'm not sure of is how long the wolves would wait for her to get out of the tree before giving up, since it's not a predator-evasion tactic they come across a lot in their normal big prey.

Wolves and big cats have two very different hunting methods. Cats are, in a way, clean killers; they are generally ambush predators, and they move in swift and snap the neck or get a choke hold on the wind pipe, suffocating their prey. Wolves are messy killers. They follow their prey as a pack, running it down and basically ripping pieces out of it until it dies. And they are persistent--they will follow a deer for days, hounding it until is is already half-dead from sheer exhaustion.

So wolves are very patient predators. However, its possible they would give up on someone in a tree just because there's no way for them to get up there, and time spent waiting her out could be better spent hunting prey they can reach. They may lurk around for awhile though hoping she'll get thirsty and come down.

Wolves really aren't very big on attacking humans though--humans are the most dangerous predator around, after all--but you could probably come up with some reason, like it's a harsh winter and the wolves are clearly starving, or something like that.

Vanatru

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
When I was an animal control officer years ago, we had 3 different groups of wolves running in our county. Having dealt with each one, I never had one charge, or do anything but try to get away (even once when I was among twelve of them, with pups i/a). On one occassion I was even able to get up put a leash on one. Never saw any of the "Hollywood Wolf Rage" stuff. I've seen worse from dogs. So for me....the myth is "busted". :)

If it's a fantasy story, I'd just make up a new wolf like critter and malign it instead of real ones. Same with crows and ravens being the portent of bad things....just another myth. IMO.

As for hungry wolves...one winter we had a moose come through the area, followed by a bear, then a pack of wolves waiting to pick off the scraps the bear left behind. They're patient, cool animals.

-Bill

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Wow, some great information here. It looks like my biggest issue is the wolves attacking in the first place.

The girl (teenager) is tired, cold, wet and distraught. She has crumpled into a heap in the middle of nowhere. Effectively I need her to be at risk and wolves seemed a clear predator. I wasn't thinnking so much about wolves attacking humans (the village is miles away) but that wolves would attack easy prey. Despite being human, I felt she had made herself easy prey and thus of interest.

I don't have magic that isn't bound in myth, it's a bizarrely straight-forward fantasy story. So I can't take refuge in that route.

The point of the wolves is that the girl needs to be in sudden, serious danger -- which makes one of the faeries reveal himself to her. She never actually gets touched.

I don't really know of other predators that would fit the bill. Although I likek the idea of agents wandering in northern Scotland in the middle of the night looking for young girls to prey on....

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
In terms of the sequence of events:

Girl is asleep at the tree, wolves howl and begin to gather, the faeries realise she is in danger. Wolves start moving in, faerie wakes up girl who is confused and doesn't realise her predicament.

One wolf rushes her, faerie hits it on the nose with a stick, wolf misses girl and looks confused.

Faerie climbs tree, girl finally gets the message and climbs tree, wolves hang about for a few minutes then wander off.

I think this fits in with descriptions of what might happen if the wolves were to attack -- they don't actually draw blood so there isn't that much impetus to hang around once she's in the tree. The pass and slash movement is there (luck!). They wait for a bit but when nothing happens, I think it's feasible that they'd wander off, especially as tree-climbing beasties aren't within their standard realm of knowledge.

At the moment, I have the main character commenting that he doesn't think they will stay long -- that line has to go, I think, as realistically he couldn't predict that behaviour.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The faeries could do something to divert the wolves' attention. Create the illusion of something else for the wolves to pursue which your POV character would not see perhaps.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Wolves

There are quite a few documented cases of wolves attacking people, but only one documented case of wolves actually attacking and killing someone. There have been a fair number of people who came up missing in wolf country, and wolves were the likeliest culprits. It simply couldn't be proven beyond doubt.

Wolves usually attack by first trying to hamstring prey. Once this is done, the prey can't run, can't fight, and the wolves then move in for the kill.

Wolves are wild animals, and just like bears, sometimes you can trust them, and sometimes you can't.

Histry Nerd

Moving Forward!
Registered
Reaction score
Texas. It's like a whole 'nother country.
Welcome, Sylvia.

You might make them feral dogs instead of wolves. Dogs bred for hunting or war would have less fear of man than wolves, and if they had been trained to attack humans and then gone wild (you can make up a reason) they could be very dangerous--many breeds are larger and stronger than wolves, but lack their endurance.

Hope this helps.
HN

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
There are a number of medieval records of wolves attacking and eating humans, although these are usually associated with extremely bad winters. It's not a normal occurrence by any means, but to say wolves would never attack a human is not exactly correct, and I say this as a wolf affeccionado.

Elizabeth Bear has some information about that on her blog - especially one year when the Seine froze and wolves actually invaded Paris looking for food.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Richard White said:
There are a number of medieval records of wolves attacking and eating humans, although these are usually associated with extremely bad winters. It's not a normal occurrence by any means, but to say wolves would never attack a human is not exactly correct, and I say this as a wolf affeccionado.

Elizabeth Bear has some information about that on her blog - especially one year when the Seine froze and wolves actually invaded Paris looking for food.

True enough. I was talking about wolves in America. Wolves in Europe have a much longer and a much more well-documented history of attacking and killing people.

But anyone who thinks wolves anywhere are tame, or won't attack people, just hasn't been around wolves under the right circumstances.

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
It sounds like it'll be okay with some minor revision, from what you all have said.

The wolves are in Scotland in the 1700s so that sounds like they could/would attack the girl as simply an easy option, then backed off once she became more complicated (climbed a tree). :)

The story is firmly rooted in our reality with the not-actually-very-drastic inclusion of believing in faeries. So fantasy animals and war dogs aren't really viable. There are other beings in the myth and lore of the time but they weren't known for attacking young women in the night.

Changes I've made as a result of the information people have been so helpful with giving:

1) The wolves howling at the start doesn't cause anyone concern other than generic "ick, there are wolves prowling around"
2) The initial circling towards the sleeping girl is reacted to with surprise by the faeries
3) Once all are in the tree, everyone waits to find out what will happen rather than saying "they'll leave soon" as if it were a usual occurrance
4) I've shifted the entire section from March to February (dates are never explicitly mentioned so it's more a case of adding in icy weather) so that the wolves might be hungrier :)

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
wild dogs are a possibility any place you have domestic dogs. A tame dog runs off and has to fend for itself. With woods and forests around, they have room to operate. When I was growing up in farm country, I can think of at least two cases were a pack of wild dogs were attacking farm animals and eating them.

Status
Not open for further replies.