PDA

View Full Version : Use of Brand Names

Anonymous Traveler
01-11-2007, 07:24 AM
“Real coffee?” She chirped.

This was a treat for the visitors over the synthetic beverages usually consumed. Andy expressed his frustration that he could not duplicate the taste for them. But then again he tried Coca-cola and had the same disappointing results.

Am I going to have a problem with the C word?

PeeDee
01-11-2007, 07:27 AM
There was just a thread about this over in the novels forum (I think it was there. It may be here.)

No, you won't. That's fair use.

Little Red Barn
01-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Well I used it and Pepsi to reference...however I socked it to Quaker Oats just because I can't stomach it and it was opinion and I stated so!
I do know never write about NIKE or name your kid such as they'll go after you big time...
BTW there is a thread here that talks about this...someone will come and bring it up for you!

Pamster
01-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Fair use eh? Goodie!

*giggles and runs away, pencil in hand with a fresh notebook to boot*

Kate Thornton
01-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Many brand names want you to include their TM - their trademark symbol - when you use their trademarked words - Kleenex is pretty picky about this and has a nice little blurb they used to put out about using trademarked products in your fiction.

Here's a link to a post by Matt Thompson on Poynteronline "Trademark Law for Dunderheads" that I think is particularly enlightening.

http://www.poynter.org/content/content_view.asp?id=64412