PDA

View Full Version : Page numbers in queries

Annwyn
01-11-2007, 05:45 AM
Hey guys,

If the submission guidelines ask for a query letter and if we want 5 pages and a synopsis, can we send six pages? It's just that the five pages cuts off awkwardly in the middle of a paragraph and reads odd. I know we should send exactly what's asked for, but...?

Thanks!

ORION
01-11-2007, 05:53 AM
No one's going to count. Really. Look and see if there is a better point to cut off in 4 pages. Agents can tell in the first paragraph whether there's a chance.
This is not worth obsessing over. Now if you send 10 or 20 pages -- that might be rude but don't agonize over a page here or there. If you feel you need to send 6 -- send 6.
I broke all the rules in my queries -- I e-queried an agent who supposedly didn't take them AND cut and pasted 5 pages in the body of the email - the ultimate no no...and the agent asked for the full and signed me.
It's the writing and the premise that are the important things.
JMHO

Maprilynne
01-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Exactly, cut it of in a nice, natural place. They'll appreciate it.:)

Maprilynne

Julie Worth
01-11-2007, 07:34 PM
I e-queried an agent who supposedly didn't take them AND cut and pasted 5 pages in the body of the email - the ultimate no no...and the agent asked for the full and signed me.

I don't think that's the ultimate no no. Attaching the pages, that be the ultimate no no.

StoryG27
01-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Agents can tell in the first paragraph whether there's a chance.
Exactly. If they are not interested by page one, hooked by page two, and feeling good about this book by page three, what do page four, five, and six really matter? If you feel you can't break the story at page five, try to break it in a good place on page four. If that's not possible either, send the sixth page. . .If they already love the book, they won't even notice. If they already don't like it, again, they won't notice an extra page because they've already stopped reading.

Don't stress too much over this. Break where you feel comfortable. Relax, I'm sure your manuscript is beautifully written and intriguing.

And I wish you the best of luck with your queries!

ORION
01-11-2007, 10:08 PM
The most important thing is to make sure the color of the glitter matches the ink.

Maprilynne
01-11-2007, 10:08 PM
The most important thing is to make sure the color of the glitter matches the ink.

*laugh* Oh dear.

Maprilynne

PattiTheWicked
01-11-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't think that's the ultimate no no. Attaching the pages, that be the ultimate no no.

I figured it was using pink unicorn stationery, but it's good to know I was wrong :tongue

Popeyesays
01-12-2007, 01:39 AM
I always found it hard to send bribes of chocolate by e-mail . . . .

Regards,
Scott