PDA

View Full Version : Stoned.....huh?

jennifer75
01-11-2007, 02:27 AM
I'm writing about one's reaction to a really good high. From marijuana. Nothing else. What would be the best way to describe the effects of a good high?

PeeDee
01-11-2007, 02:31 AM
Well...I think you're supposed to grave funions. But I have only Half Baked to go by, because I happily avoided drugs. I'm high on, you know, life.

I'm sure the population of the drinking thread will be along shortly to give you a detailed answer, though. :)

jennifer75
01-11-2007, 02:34 AM
Yea, I figured they might be able to help. The problem is this: It was me that was high. However, it was really my only time ever being high and I don't think I have enough experience from the experience to write and describe the act of being high.

Did I lose you?

jennifer75
01-11-2007, 02:35 AM
Well...I think you're supposed to grave funions. But I have only Half Baked to go by, because I happily avoided drugs. I'm high on, you know, life.

I'm sure the population of the drinking thread will be along shortly to give you a detailed answer, though. :)

And from what i can remember, I didn't crave a thing. Except sex and water.

PeeDee
01-11-2007, 02:37 AM
When all else fails, I turn to Google. (http://cannabisconsumers.org/reports/gettinghigh.php)

Del
01-11-2007, 03:01 AM
Giggles. I remember giggles. If you got past the giggles it was paranoia. Drugs were cool.

I remember wood grains being woodier, colors being brighter. Feeling like I was in a paper bag. Sometimes things seemed smoky. Mostly I remember grinning and being very bad at conversation. But since everyone that was with me was in the same shape it didn't much matter.

I remember thinking I was so philosophical. We recorded ourselves once. It was just stupid unconnected remarks.

Do drugs. Do dumb things. Drugs are bad.

BlueTexas
01-11-2007, 03:06 AM
I'd say it totally depends on the mood you were in prior to becoming high. I'd also say go listen to some stoner music and then write about how it made you feel.

If I had to use just one word, I'd use distant, or detached. My experience is from a long time ago though, and if I had to describe the people I know now who smoke in one word, it would be paranoid.

And yeah, I'm here from the drinking thread :)

WildScribe
01-11-2007, 03:09 AM
My ex did pot, and it made him relaxed, happy, and stupid.

Writer2011
01-11-2007, 03:09 AM
I've never done it nor have any desire--what people do is their own business and would NEVER pass judgement on them... Having said that-- I have taken Vicodin (not sure of the spelling) and it made me feel detached and stuff..

So I hope this helps.

Saundra Julian
01-11-2007, 03:10 AM

Excuse me! Do you think everyone who drinks smokes pot? I have a news flash for you, think AGAIN!

PeeDee
01-11-2007, 03:11 AM
Excuse me! Do you think everyone who drinks smokes pot? I have a news flash for you, think AGAIN!

I figured you did both while listening to rock and roll and staying up late. And possibly living in sin.

Alternatively, it may have been what we call a "quip."

:)

jennifer75
01-11-2007, 03:24 AM
Mostly I remember grinning and being very bad at conversation.

Yes, i do remember laughing hysterically when we realized we didn't know what the hell we were talking about.

Willowmound
01-11-2007, 03:41 AM
I'd tell ya, but I'm too stoned right now.

Not really, I just can't be bothered

Siddow
01-11-2007, 03:49 AM
A GOOD High? From pot?

Oh, man, it's like all disjointed and shit, ya know? Like I need a basket to hold it together...bwahahaha...BASKET! What a funny word. bass-kit. I need a kit for my bass. Here, take this woven bowl. Hey! It's a basket! Get it? Where's the Doritos? Can I dip these in chocolate? That's what we really need. Chocolate covered Doritos. And lime juice. Is that chair on fire?

Shadow_Ferret
01-11-2007, 03:53 AM
Pot doesn't really do cool things, not like acid. You don't see cool colors, or trails or anyhing. Pot just makes one mellow and enhances some of the senses, like taste, food tastes really good. Taco Bell is the nectar of the Gods. And sound, you notice all the little nuances in the songs, this is especially true if listening to prog rock of the 70s.

TsukiRyoko
01-11-2007, 03:57 AM
The world seems pixelated, and you feel like your head is in the clouds. You feel yourself talking slower and it takes you a moment or two to register what others are saying. When someone tells a joke, it either flies right over your head or sends you into a gigglefest that lasts for at least 10 full minutes. You get an insatiable hunger, and end up eating 4 bags of chips or whatever is available, then your mouth suddenly dries up and you begin to think "If I don't get something to drink in the next 2 minutes, I'll die!". Sometimes you also get extremely paranoid about something small and begin to think the cops know everything you're doing at that moment and you close all the blinds and shut off the T.V. until the buzz wears off.

I think I covered it all... ;)

Willowmound
01-11-2007, 04:01 AM
Siddow does a good impression.

And what Shadow Ferret said.

Those who've mentioned getting the giggles: as you smoke more, that is, over time, you will get less of the giggles and more of the just being satisfied.

You may also get lots of seemingly good ideas for stories if you're a writer, but realise you don't have the energy to do any work. This is why I don't smoke pot anymore. Also, most of the 'good ideas' have usually turned to crap by next morning.

truelyana
01-11-2007, 04:05 AM
I thought this was actually about being hit by a stone lol

I have tried marijuana before but, it didn't do absolutetly anything to me or rather, I didnt let it affect me :D

Julie Worth
01-11-2007, 04:06 AM
For drug information, Erowid is usually a good source. See here: http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Cannabis.shtml

Willowmound
01-11-2007, 04:07 AM
It usually takes a copuple of goes before you get an effect.

TwentyFour
01-11-2007, 04:23 AM
Following the other southerners here...I will say I never did smoke it, but I inhaled it from being enclosed in a bus with a bunch of potheads. The kids on our bus would smoke it and get high and act goofy and us smaller kids would be scared they might kill us if they noticed us laughing back.

Boy, the eighties were scary!

I never wanted to smoke it, hated it actually and found my ex loved it beyond loving me or my child. He hid it around the house when I was not in a room, hid it in crevices around the outside of the house...he was a dopehead dork.

rugcat
01-11-2007, 04:25 AM
I realize this runs counter to accepted wisdom. but I find pot actually helps me focus, esp in creative endeavors. Not so great for writing, unsurprisingly, but for visual arts and music it can be a great help.

Conventional wisdom also says you think what youíve created while high is great, then the next morning you realize itís crap. Again, not my experience. I found marijuana, especially, to be a very positive drug for promoting creativity. Of course, like many things, if you go overboard and become an abuser, it will screw you up.

I gave up all drugs a long time ago, but not because I necessarily thought they were bad for me.

ChunkyC
01-11-2007, 04:31 AM
Wow man, this stuff is mellow (insert coughing fit during which you hang onto the joint to the annoyance of the person whose turn it is next)

What's that ringing in my ears? What? Oh, the phone? Why didn't it say so? (insert laughing fit which carries on long after whoever was calling gives up)

Hey look, Sonny and Cher are on TV ... I did turn it on. Not my fault you're blind, buddy ... oh, it's not plugged in. (another laughing fit while you try to insert the plug in the socket, and of course you have the prongs reversed so it won't go in)

Hey, (you stand up and drop the cord, TV completely forgotten) I bet tunafish tastes great with bananas. Want some? (stupid question, everyone's wasted, of course they want some)

======================

I quit drugs too. It seemed like fun at the time, but it really does rot your brain after a while.

kikazaru
01-11-2007, 05:12 AM
Way back in the Pleistocene era (70's early 80's) when I did such things, I found it made you feel like you were outside of your body looking in (rather like that fat headed fealing of a sinus cold - minus the nasal drip), and it also made me kind of dopey (hence the name I guess). It did depend on who I was with at the time. A bunch of girlfriends listening to Bette Middler and Boogey Woogey Bugle Boy it was a blast, or the same gals square dancing (who knew I could square dance) and then going for a midnight skinny dip at the lake when we got too hot ,was hysterical. What was even more hysterical was that I was wearing a large Carmen Miranda sun hat - with extra fruit, which to this day I have no idea where it came from. However, if I was sitting around a friend's subterranean rec room listening to Egberto Gismonti it was a downer man (really). I also found that it made me cranky and hyper critical. All in all interesting at the time, but not anything I care to do again.

jennifer75
01-11-2007, 05:14 AM
Taco Bell is the nectar of the Gods.

You're on the East Coast aren't you? Everybody on the West (and some in the middle) know that Jack in the Box is the nectar of the Gods!

Del
01-11-2007, 05:53 AM
You're on the East Coast aren't you? Everybody on the West (and some in the middle) know that Jack in the Box is the nectar of the Gods!

Jack in the Box died on the east coast (at least in Virginia). Taco Bells are everywhere. However, the last time I took a hit, neither existed...so I guess it was a moot point.

Akuma
01-11-2007, 05:56 AM
Again, giggles and "outside" the body feeling. You can forget things much easier, even mid-conversation. Be sure to note that the feeling of disconnected-ness usually follows the next day when you've had a lot.

Relaxation and the munchies.

Sometimes hallucinations, or at least looking at something and realizing it is something entirely different than what you thought it was.

And "Someone Who I Met" was prone to making lame jokes and laughing at them even if no one else did.
Very lame jokes.

Don't forget red eye. There's a Visine for that. Or something.

Akuma
01-11-2007, 05:58 AM
Oh, and everything tastes a lot better. Especially strawberry gummies you can get at 7-11. Brushing your teeth feels really cool, too.

Er...so I've heard...

Chasing the Horizon
01-11-2007, 06:30 AM
Excuse me! Do you think everyone who drinks smokes pot? I have a news flash for you, think AGAIN! Yeah! Just because I drink doesn't mean I ever did drugs! :D

Now, what it feels like to be high on pot:
First thing I'm going to say is that everyone is affected slightly differently. There are thousands of different types of marijuana and different varieties produce different effects, so there really is no one right description of what it feels like to be high.
For me it was usually like everything was happening on TV. All of real life had become two dimensional. No feelings of any kind. Marilyn Manson summed it up very well in one of his songs with 'the screen is us and we're TV'. To be honest, I didn't much care for it. Whoever said 'distant' was a good word to sum it up was right. It was hard to follow conversation. It was hard to even put an actual thought together. I actually didn't get the giggles or anything like that. It completely killed my creativity.

But there was one variety me and some friends got a couple times that was totally different. It was super expensive and felt like tar and smelled like incense. That type made the colors bright and made me feel like I was really smart and creative. If I smoked enough of it, it actually made the light refract and 'trail' (something acid does in small amounts).

I really don't care for the whole 'dead and flat' feeling, but having the colors bright was cool. I think I have an actual account somewhere that I wrote while I was high about what it felt like to be high. I'll see if I can find it.

All in all interesting at the time, but not anything I care to do again. I did just about every drug available at the time when I was younger and that pretty much sums it all up. After a while I just got bored. I don't regret anything I did when I was on drugs. The few things in my life I do regret I did completely sober.

icerose
01-11-2007, 07:00 AM
Wow, I'm so glad I didn't try any of this stuff.

PeeDee
01-11-2007, 07:31 AM
So am I.

We had a stoner at a pizza place I worked, a bunch of years ago. Burnt out of his mind....

(don't tlel me drugs don't mess your mind up; people give me that argument every now and then, and usually they have to take a few minutes to get it out because the drugs have....messed up their minds)

....and anyway, he was so easy to freak out. Even when he was not actively high, his brain was such a shivering little mass that you could do anything to set him off. Just tell him his favorite band had sold out for the money. Or tell him that his car was stupid. Or his hat. Or gravity.

We locked him in the walk-in cooler and barricaded the door, and then just randomly called his cell phone to ask if he needed to go to the bathroom.

It was hilarious.

PeeDee
01-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Oh, another effect of pot: You suddenly think Hunter S. Thompson is a good writer. Invariably. :D

expatbrat
01-11-2007, 07:32 AM
My parents are in Cambodia right now and I had to warn them "listen mum and dad, the happy pizzas are happy because they are sprinkled with marijuana, they are not called happy because they come with a free fries and coke like at McDonalds." Another friend didn't think to warn her parents and they were well pissed off when they accidentally got a "very happy pizza" and spent the night off their heads.

The effect varies from time to time depending on your mood, where you are and who you are with, if you've been drinking and how you took it (joint, bong, ate it in cookies/pizza/magic-muffins/etc). The strength of dope varies hugely, sometimes you can have just a couple of tokes and be completely blooto and other times you can have a number of joints and just be fun and happy.

It can vary from a giggle fest feeling similar to drinking but without the hangover (or the risk of getting caught by a RBT), to an inability to move - so you spend half the night willing yourself to touch your head or your nose just to check you still can (not so much fun, experienced users know how to avoid going this far).

Sometimes you will have conversations with others that feel a lot like you have a delay on a phone line; both people will take a long time to construct their sentences and then get out what they want to say. It is a lot more fun when there is a group of you at the same level.

Sometimes you feel super clever and funny, I know some of the conversations I’ve had while stoned sounded just as funny the next morning… or was that just laughing at how much we were laughing??? Hard to tell. At the time you do feel clever and funnier and smarter than everyone else. And you assume that everyone else is also high and finding what you are laughing at as funny as you are finding it.

Arrrrrh, the joy of sitting in the FCCC (Foreign Correspondence Club of Cambodia - Phnom Phen) watching the fishermen and boats on Mekong, in stitches of hysterics with two of my best mates.

In Beijing you buy it off the black guys. The conversation usually goes like this: “Hi, not meaning to stereotype or anything but ummm, are you selling dope.” If the first guy you ask doesn’t have it he will be able to hail someone from ten meters away who will have what you are looking for. In Cambodia every second restaurant sells happy pizzas and every third restaurant is actually called “Happy Pizza” (cause Lonely Planet mentioned Happy Pizza in one of their guides so every other shop went and called themselves that too). I don’t touch it in Thailand. They love shooting foreigners for that here!!! (oooh that and I’m pregnant … not even drinking coffee, wine or beer these days...).

Willowmound
01-11-2007, 08:44 AM
(don't tlel me drugs don't mess your mind up; people give me that argument every now and then, and usually they have to take a few minutes to get it out because the drugs have....messed up their minds)
Of course drugs haven't messed up my mind. What nonsense. What drugs have done for me, is given me some truly amazing, quite out-of-this-world experiences that I would never, ever have been without.

If one becomes a junkie, that's a whole 'nother thing.

None of my friends fried their brains on drugs. We had an amazing couple of years, then we got bored with it (it gets repetitive, even acid) and went on to other things -- careers and marriage and higher education and stuff.

Please don't propagate foundationless myths.

Yes drugs can kill. I've had acquanintances who got themselves dead or damaged. What's false, is saying that drugs will always fuck you. They can, some people. Just like alcohol can. Or skydiving.

Tea is probably safe.

PeeDee
01-11-2007, 08:51 AM
I wasn't saying that you do drugs and you're instantly fried witless. I think the general tone of my post made it fairly clear I was talking about the burnt-out stoners and little else.

You lot are all fine. Well, for a given value of AW fine anyway. :)

Willowmound
01-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Sorry. Another peeve, I'm afraid. :)

PeeDee
01-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Come on. How long have I been around here? How many times have I specifically spoken against stereotypes and all the problems and things that go with it?

Stoners do not impress me overmuch, but I'm not going to lump every single person who's done a drug into that category. It'd be like calling everyone who has champaign an alcoholic.

Willowmound
01-11-2007, 09:17 AM
I don't know how many times you have spoken against stereotypes, I only lurked here for two weeks before signing up.

No one's impressed by stoners, by the way. Not even the stoners themselves ;)

PeeDee
01-11-2007, 09:19 AM
I don't know, stoners are terribly impressed with each other. It's always fun when they're in pairs and they communicate. It's like when you put two Furbies together and they talked. Except that Furbies made more sense. And smelled less.

Willowmound
01-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Hah!

Ate less too.

PeeDee
01-11-2007, 09:26 AM
And were funnier when I turned them upside down and shook them.

:D

Willowmound
01-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Try doing that to the stoners...

Oh you already did. I bet you they went out and bought more of whatever they were smoking at the time!

rugcat
01-11-2007, 09:55 AM
....and anyway, he was so easy to freak out. Even when he was not actively high, his brain was such a shivering little mass that you could do anything to set him off. Just tell him his favorite band had sold out for the money. Or tell him that his car was stupid. Or his hat. Or gravity. Mostly, burnt out stoners are sad people who never had much going for themselves in the first place and turned to drugs to compensate for the lack. Intelligent productive people who smoke pot donít turn into Cheech and Chong characters. (Well, not for the most part)

Psychedelics can be dangerous, but considering they have the power to open your consciousness and actually change your view of the world, you could hardly expect them to be bland and safe.

Drugs don't take productive people and fry their brains.

Except for smack. And coke. Ooh, and crack. X actually can fry some neurons, but it's worth it. And did I mention crystal? Did I? Did I? Did I? Did I? Did I?

Hey, wait a minute! There are some bad drugs. Now Iím worried - I wish I still smoked; I need some bud to calm me down.

TwentyFour
01-11-2007, 10:21 AM
LOL...

Well I knew a great writer in my high school. She was ready to write the next "bestseller" and "Thinking" novel. She was cool, hung out with the teacher who took too many pills, drove a ratty car, she was the girl the guys were scared of! She won writing contests, her family sucked, she lived for the day. Her idea of living was hanging in the school parking lot and getting high on pot.

We both went on to college, she was in a few of my classes and we began to hang out. She had a hubby then, two kids and a bad bad pot habit.

She would get high in the morning, or when she drove too fast, or when she got a ticket, or when her grade looked bad, or when....

She would get high and drive her kids to the babysitter.

The girl never wrote the books or anything else. She never got a job. She never graduated. Oh well...

She can say she was cool when she hung out and smoked her joints in the parking lot of the high school.

rugcat
01-11-2007, 10:43 AM
I knew a truly great writer in high school who traveled to India on a pilgrimage to worship at the feet of Allen Ginsberg, caught hepatitis, didn't get treated, and died. He didn't smoke pot.

Life is tricky.

PeeDee
01-11-2007, 10:48 AM
That's why it's important to know where your towel is.

RumpleTumbler
01-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Weed makes me horny! :Hug2:

Clean Slate
01-11-2007, 05:01 PM
I was going to respond authoritatively to this thread last night, but for some reason I forgot to. I'll have to try again tonight.

Stacia Kane
01-11-2007, 05:54 PM
I once got so high I couldn't read the road signs (no, I was a PASSENGER. I was high, not stupid.)

I always felt like there was glass between me and everyone else, and everything was very, very funny. I used to get really high, really fast, but then came down after less than an hour (this was all years ago, btw.)

I remember on Spring Break in South Padre Island we got high and went to the beach. My friend couldn't light her cigarette in the wind, and asked me to do it, and she just looked so funny with her big sunglasses I couldn't stop laughing. Even better, she kept saying, "Will you light this? Please! Why are you laughing at me?"
Then we told her we were high (she hadn't been there) and she laughed too and went off to smoke herself.

But then I had a friend, a really good friend who was also an adorably hot guy, and we fell out of touch for a few months. When we saw each other again he'd turned into Mr. Pothead. He'd wake up and smoke. He'd smoke on his way to work, all his work breaks, after work, before going out for the evening, while he was out for the evening...it was sad, and I didn't see him again after that because all the clever humor and fun had left him. He looked like Howard, but he wasn't Howard anymore.

RumpleTumbler
01-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Jack in the Box died on the east coast (at least in Virginia). Taco Bells are everywhere. However, the last time I took a hit, neither existed...so I guess it was a moot point.

That's interesting as both are famous for E Coli outbreaks. So weed subconciously makes you want to consume Mexcian farm workers feces. I myself have never had that happen but it does seem to be a trend here. ;)

DeadlyAccurate
01-11-2007, 06:47 PM
We had a stoner at a pizza place I worked, a bunch of years ago. Burnt out of his mind....

So did we. His nickname was (seriously) Dopey. I think even management called him that.

spike
01-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Pot used to make me feel like I knew a secret that no one (expect my friends who were high) knew.

Everyone was kind of funny, but no one was sure why. I remember seeing a sign in a store for Homogenized milk, and we laughed about "homo milk"

Everything tasted great! And we ate some weird things. The most bizarre was potato chip/mayonaise/ketchup/sandwiches. I also had ice cream and breakfast cereal, when there was no milk.

But nothing ever got done and my druggie friends just became dumber and dumber.

jennifer75
01-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Whoah! Look what I found!

http://www.drugs.indiana.edu/slang/SearchSlang.aspx

rugcat
01-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Whoah! Look what I found!

http://www.drugs.indiana.edu/slang/SearchSlang.aspx
Just for fun, I put in a bunch of outmoded terms (crosstops, pinners, Vitamin A) and got no hits. Mabe Indiana is not the drug slang capital.

Rainy Night
01-12-2007, 01:05 AM
*cough* What were we talking about? *cough*

CBeasy
01-12-2007, 02:57 AM
Ok, ok we can stop debating, an expert is here. If there's anything in this world that I'm qualified to talk about, besides construction and evil women, it's drugs. I don't do so many these days, but in the past I've done everything you can name, and I do mean that literally. The effects of smoking pot are very different if you're someone who smokes everyday or someone smoking for the first time. I would say a first timer would probably feel a bit light headed, probably very giddy. Also, the short term memory loss would be incredible. I can remember laughing hysterically at something, then forgetting what I was laughing at in the middle of it. If you're someone who smokes everyday, it's just a really calming sensation, like when you first stretch out on your bed at night.

Check out the Vaults of Erowid (http://erowid.org) for detailed info on pot and many other drugs. I'd suggest checking out the experiences section for some good descriptions.

Del
01-12-2007, 03:53 AM
I have come to an observation. A thread on drugs is only marginally less popular than is a thread on sex. It occurred to me that if someone started a thread regarding sex while on drugs there is a good chance that activity in other areas might creep to a crawl.

Clean Slate
01-12-2007, 04:05 AM
sex while on drugs
Careful, there's an expert here about that, too.

Stacia Kane
01-12-2007, 03:50 PM

Two experts.

a tree of night
01-12-2007, 10:00 PM
The effect varies from time to time depending on your mood, where you are and who you are with, if you've been drinking and how you took it (joint, bong, ate it in cookies/pizza/magic-muffins/etc). The strength of dope varies hugely, sometimes you can have just a couple of tokes and be completely blooto and other times you can have a number of joints and just be fun and happy.
What kind of effect does cooking have? I've been around a lot of your garden-variety (literally and figuratively) pot and though I've never been an active participant, I've gotten some pretty good second-hand headaches (CSN&Y, second-to-last row, closed arena comes to mind - there were times when I couldn't see the stage through the smoke, or the time I made the mistake of walking into the mens room at a Little Feat show). None of those experiences really made me want to run home and make some pot roast, so to speak.

On the other hand, I was once working on a project with a friend of mine who had apparently scored a $300 pinch of high-grade weed on his way over to my place and offered to split it with me. I wasn't inclined to smoke it, but I did give it a sniff and my first thought was "this would be heavenly with a little olive oil and a light pepper crust on a leg of lamb".

jennifer75
01-12-2007, 11:41 PM

ha ha ha... i love it.

Ed Rogers
01-14-2007, 02:41 AM
There is not enough time or space to tell it all. A bag cost eight dollars in 1965. Sailors were bring back dufful bags full from nam. I had a friend that carried a box with his dope dived in to groups. The funny dope, the mellow dope, and the ass kicker. That same bag of pot now would cost about a hundred. Coke cost 80 dollars a gram back then, it still costs 80. The war on duges really worked. There is pot that is so strong you can trip on it. But in most cases it's not any different than drinking, but no hangover.http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

aruna
01-14-2007, 10:38 PM
The first time I did pot it was with two friends in 1970 or thereabouts. We did it in my room and put on some music - Santanas Black Magic Woman. I'll never forget that experience. The music seemd to vibrate through every single cell, every single cell flooded with sound. And my body as light as air, flying, flying, floating on air - utterly beautiful. Flooded with light and music.
Later on, outside the room - I could look at a flower and simpy stare at it for ages. Fall in love with it, sit there grinning at it. In fact I fell in love wth nature, plants, animals, the sea, the sky - everything was just fantastically beautiful. A great, deep peace filling my soul. Feeling love for everyone, and finding normal stuff such as paperwork, money, totaly ridiculous, wanting to laugh at serious people, but being fond of them at the same time.

BTW : people who drink or like alcohol usually don't do pot. I used to drink before my first trip - I stopped completely afterwards.

expatbrat
01-16-2007, 08:20 PM
What kind of effect does cooking have?

It is not the cooking that changes the effect, it is the eating. When you eat (instead of smoke) pot the high comes on slower and lasts a lot longer... too long in my mind. You still feel a bit fuzzy the next day and that is no fun (I like to wake up happy and ready for a run or some other activity). Smoking it you have more control, you feel the buzz straight away so can stop when you are at the right place/level. Eating it, especially when you are eating it in pizza, yummy cookies or cake or some other dessert, it is far too easy to eat too much and go too far... which is not fun.

Re your pot-heads. They are absolutely the same as alcohol abusers or abusers of any other substance or habit (Iíd include workaholic in this same category). There are sad bastards in every society, in every nook and cranny of the globe, with nothing worth staying sober for. What ever they choose to avoid sobriety with: be it alcohol, pot, or any other drug, it doesn't make a different, it is the who-they-were and what-they-were-avoiding before the drugs became their priority that is the cause of their failures.

The person who chooses a pot-head (alcoholic, workaholic, insert some other ???-oholic coping-mechanism) lifestyle does so because they see it as the best option available to them at the time.

jennifer75
01-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Smoking it you have more control, you feel the buzz straight away so can stop when you are at the right place/level.

Really? Because the few times I smoked it seemed to take about 10 - 15 minutes before I realized I was higher than a kite. Had I been able to control it as I was smoking, I wouldn't have smoked so much.

expatbrat
01-16-2007, 09:36 PM
I guess I've always smoked it in a setting where the joint gets passed around a group, so you have a toke/drag/puff and pass it on. By the time you get it again you have a bit of an idea of the effect it has had and can judge from there.

You can definately judge the strenght of the stuff from one hit/drag/toke.

I've never sat alone and smoked a joint on my own so I don't know about how that works, perhaps in this setting you could get too stoned before noticing you had done so.

I've probably smoked it about 150 times over the last 20 years - I am not a regular user but sometimes, in some settings, it is a better choice that alcohol.

southernwriter
01-18-2007, 09:01 AM
I don't know, stoners are terribly impressed with each other. It's always fun when they're in pairs and they communicate. It's like when you put two Furbies together and they talked. Except that Furbies made more sense. And smelled less.

No, that's not stereotyping. ;)

I grew up in the 60's and 70's and I have no problem admitting I smoked my share, and your share, too. And probably your cousin's, as well.

Back then, a baggie full of it cost $15 and was called a lid. Today, we'd call that dirt weed. Over the years, the quality became better, the quantity became less, and the price became outrageous. If your dealer told you there was none around, it meant he had some, but in two days, you'd be willing to pay more for it. Crops came in from Columbia, Panama, Hawaii, Thailand, Viet Nam, Jamaica. Some of it became "progressive," which meant you could stop smoking the joint, but you would continue to get higher for a while. Hydroponic weed was really good; light green in color, very resinous, with very few, if any, seeds. Now idiots spray it down with Mountain Dew to make you think it's sticky, but it's just wet and it won't burn.

I read through some of these comments and laughed. You know the cliche - "What kind of drugs are you on?" because I've smoked the best in the world, along with hash and opium, and I never once got trails from it; not without the help of some other drug.

I agree with whoever said that it makes you more creative. It absolutely does, but it can also make you very unmotivated. Your reaction to it depends on your mood, your companionship, the quality, the quantity, how it's ingested, the time of day... there are so many factors to take into account. I made brownies once. They sat in our stomachs like lead bricks. I don't think I moved for two days.

Someone said those who drink don't smoke, or maybe it was the other way around. Some do, but there's a trick to it. You can smoke and then drink, but you cannot drink and then smoke. You'll be praying over the porcelain throne.

Besides being a lot more expensive, it's much more potent than it was when I was a kid. I got high once after more than a decade of not getting high, and omg. Paranoia City. I suppose if I continued to do it, that would go away, once my body had absorbed a certain amount of THC, but I can't afford drugs. If I could, I'd probably buy some. Weed is not addictive. I've tried to quit smoking cigarettes several times and just can't seem to kick it, but weed? No problem. When it was gone, it was gone. I never really thought about it.

Those of you who so smugly sit back and call users names would wet your pants if you had any idea who really gets high. Cops, politicans, executives, doctors, lawyers, even old fogeys ... people you would never dream would do it are doing it. Maybe even your parents. Your editor. Your publisher. The only real difference I've seen between now and the old school days is that people stopped talking about it and started hiding it. It hasn't gone away, it just went underground. Who said the most popular threads are the ones about sex and drugs? I rest my case. I got high every day, often several times a day, but I still finished school, had a full time job, and took care of my responsibilities.

I love weed, but there is one major drawback. When they say it wrecks your memory, they aren't kidding. I can remember as far back as being two years old (and in my case, that's a long time), but there are huge gaps in my memory for an entire decade. I remember almost none of the 70's. Did I have fun? More fun than I can ever tell you; I just can't recall much of it, and I deeply regret that part of it.

I may delete this later. :D

southernwriter
01-18-2007, 09:16 AM
There is not enough time or space to tell it all. A bag cost eight dollars in 1965. Sailors were bring back dufful bags full from nam. I had a friend that carried a box with his dope dived in to groups. The funny dope, the mellow dope, and the ass kicker. That same bag of pot now would cost about a hundred. Coke cost 80 dollars a gram back then, it still costs 80. The war on duges really worked. There is pot that is so strong you can trip on it. But in most cases it's not any different than drinking, but no hangover.http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

You live down the street from me! Got a joint? Can I come over?

aruna
01-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Someone said those who drink don't smoke, or maybe it was the other way around. Some do, but there's a trick to it. You can smoke and then drink, but you cannot drink and then smoke. You'll be praying over the porcelain throne.

That was me; but I meant it differntly. I meant that the mentality that goes with smoking and enjoying weed is a totally different one to the one that goes with drinking and getting drunk for recreation.

I used to drink, and so did my friends; the moment we discovered weed it was as if we all turned a collective corner. We began to despise alcohol and its effects; to this day I cannot stand being near a drunk person; though I do occasionally drink a glass of wine. We all became mellow, gentle, nature-freaks, quintessential hippies in a country that did not HAVE the hippie culture. It happened to us all at once. It was uncanny.

There was a limited supply of pot available in Guyana at the time, so there we no question of anyone becoming a pothead, and when we got hold of a matchbox of it it was precious indeed.

When we went travelling in South America we began to meet the real hippies, American ones. Mostly, they were young men trying to escape the draft with their girlfriends. Several Peace Corps people. It was all peace and love and communal living. This was my first experience of Americans, and I loved them all. There was such a feeling of community and sharing, such goodness among us! Unlike southernwriter, I can remember those 18 months onthe road very vividly. 1971 - 1972 was glorious. When we got to Colombia, though, it sort of all fell apart. We had the very BEST weed - Santa Marta black, Neiva Gold, unbelievable stuff, and so cheap! We bought it by the kilo! We had been living in a commune in Ecuador previously, and had had to smuggle it over the Colombian border. Now it was practically lying in the streets.

We got very lazy, very lethargic, lying around all day and doing nothing but smoking. Soon after that I had the big adventure in which I got arrested and thrown into Colombian jail, but that's another story.

I stopped smoking on September 1st 1973 at midnight, in the car park of some church in Schruuns, Switzerland, on my way to India. It was no problem at all to stop. I never touched it again for several decades.
When I was in England in the last two years I smoked occasionally with a friend. What I found was that meditation became several times more intensive after I smoked. It was an interesting experence, but that was all. I would never even consider seeking it out again.

southernwriter
01-18-2007, 10:14 AM
What an amazing life you've had, Aruna. I'm so envious. I've never been out of the U.S. You've been around the world. What's next on your itenerary?

aruna
01-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Not much. I now live a quiet life of semi-retirement as a carer for my recently pensioned husband, who is ill. Figuring out what to do with my aging mother who lives halfway acrosss the world and has nobody but me. Figuring out how to pay the mortgage. Very boring stuff!!!!
Oh, and writing, of course!

southernwriter
01-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Where's your mom? And Guyana - isn't that where Jim Jones and his cult lived?

aruna
01-18-2007, 10:34 AM
My mom's in Guyana, and yes, that's where Jim Jones and co lived. I used to live near them.

southernwriter
01-18-2007, 10:58 AM
That's pretty scary. You must have been mortified when that happened. I'd offer to help with your mom, but I'm nowhere near Guyana.

aruna
01-18-2007, 11:09 AM
I lived there in 1972 - 73, and the suicides happened in 78 - by that time I was far away, in France.
But I often imagined what it would have been like to be living there while it was going on, and now I've written a novel based on such musings!

southernwriter
01-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Oooh. I'll bet that's good. I'm glad you weren't there. I remember when I saw it on the news, and they mentioned about 400 people, I think, and then they started moving bodies, and there were more underneath. The numbers were staggering and horrifying. I'm out of here for tonight. I still have work to do. Sigh. Nice talking to you!

JIMBOS
01-18-2007, 11:49 AM
A GOOD High? From pot?

Oh, man, it's like all disjointed and shit, ya know? Like I need a basket to hold it together...bwahahaha...BASKET! What a funny word. bass-kit. I need a kit for my bass. Here, take this woven bowl. Hey! It's a basket! Get it? Where's the Doritos? Can I dip these in chocolate? That's what we really need. Chocolate covered Doritos. And lime juice. Is that chair on fire?

Now that's funny!

dahmnait
01-20-2007, 04:15 PM
You're on the East Coast aren't you? Everybody on the West (and some in the middle) know that Jack in the Box is the nectar of the Gods!That may be true, but back in my day ;) Taco Bell was the only place still open at 1:00am.

Jerry CL
01-21-2007, 02:15 AM
It was painful. All I felt was a sharp pain to my forehead, feeling warm liquid dripping down my face, and blacking out. The side effect was a memory loss of 2 hours before it happened, and this large scar that covered half of my forhead (thankfull, my hair covered the scar on my scalp).

Oh wait, stoned by narcotic? NM, thought it was being hit by a stone/rock.

BradyH1861
01-23-2007, 12:29 AM
I remember when a dime bag cost a dime.

Seriously, Half Baked is one of my favorite movies. And I've never smoked pot.

Chumplet
01-23-2007, 01:55 AM
I tried it once or twice when I was a teenager because everyone was doing it. All it did was make my throat hurt and my eyes small.

However, the third time I tried it, we were on the road in a VW bus, and I swore I could pick up the sound of each individual piston clacking up and down in the engine.

No, I did not get the munchies.

We crossed a bit of highway near Sandbanks, where thousands of frogs were crossing the road. It was a migration of some sort. Pete stopped the bus and we waited for them to cross. It was pouring rain, and the headlights shone on these crazy frogs on the road. One stopped and started jumping on the spot, up and down. We laughed our asses off.

Apparently we were witnessing an annual migration. We looked it up, just to make sure we weren't hallucinating.

southernwriter
01-27-2007, 01:37 AM
It's weird the things you happen to run into when you're high. I had a similar experience, except with little people who lived down Seven Hills Road outside a small town east of St. Louis. And there was a time I was out walking my dog in an empty lot in Los Angeles, and a few feet ahead, there appeared to be a small fire in the grass. As I got closer, I found it was a swarming nest of ladybugs! There must have been a million of them.

Jaycinth
01-27-2007, 02:07 AM
Ummmm....
When I was in H.S. I was in the National Honor Society. EVERYONE in the NHS was a stoner. It was like our club. Most of us graduated a year ahead of the rest of our class and excelled in college. The folks I've kept up with still 'stone' a bit come weekends, and they are prosperous stock brokers, decent lawyers, CPA's, engineers. Decent folk.

But we never went way overboard. Well, at least not after a couple years of College kicking our behinds.

I admit to occasionally still 'tuning up', so to speak. It helps take the edge off when I get to take 4 years of expensive University, and another 3 years of 'Professional Classes' and use all of that wonderful education to do the amazing and complicated tasks of : cleaning toilets, scrubbing mildew away, cleaning cat box, folding laundry, taking out trash, washing pots and pans, unloading dishwasher, vaccuuming, sweeping, mopping,(Tee hee...baking cookies) cleaning cabinets, mending, and of course, bathing the cat.

Drinking, under those circustances, makes you want to hurt people.

Last summer, on vacation, my friend showed up with some nice stuff. 6 hours (and no food and no booze, but lots of iced tea) later, I'd written a 3,750 word story. (Which, alas, has not yet found a home because I am a slow sub-er.)

I think pot affects everyone differently. I've seen people turn totally paranoid, and other people lose their inhibitions. I've seen people smoke, then act like they've lost it because they've read about pot and think that is what they are supposed to do. I've seen people smoke some wicked stuff and be so unstoned it is scary.

I know a few people who should never EVER get high on anything.

But...stoned sex is very good.

Jean Marie
01-29-2007, 10:44 PM
I have no idea what any of you people are talking about.

I recall a portion of the '70's. If necessary, I can always Google what I'm interested in, right? The difficulty lies in narrowing those areas down.

jennifer75
01-30-2007, 01:47 AM
I wanted to know what a good or bad high felt like.