Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I had no idea where to pose this question? I figure this is as good a place as any.

I found a publisher that seems perfect for me. I just have this great feeling about them. They accept both poetry and fiction. What do you think about me sending a poetry manuscript and a fiction manuscript at the same time to this publisher? (Of course, I would send them in separate envelopes.) I am thinking that they would go to separate editors and they may not even realize that they have two submissions from the same person. But even if they do realize it...there's really nothing wrong with this, is there?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks Julie. It's what I thought. I couldn't imagine it conflicting. Thank you.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
If this is a commercial publisher (which, by the fact that it wants poetry, I'm guessing it may not be), sending two manuscripts at once is a serious no-no. It doesn't do you any good, either, because it puts you in competition with yourself. Even with a micropress, I think you run this risk.

Pick the ms. you'd most like to get published, and send that. If it gets rejected, send the other.

- Victoria

wmd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingsofmassdestruction.blogspot.com
Yeah you have to be careful. Even if they go to two different editors, and they most likely will, the company may still have a policy of no multiple submissions.

It would damage your rep with that publisher and they would probably not look at any future work you send them. Check their guidelines.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
I am with Victoria on this one Kevin-although if as Maestrowork said unless they state no multiple submissions-you may be alright. However, I would still do as Victoria suggested-no use pushing a heavy handed horse-they can neigh and give you a hell of a buck. So if it was the old lobster-one at a time saves pain!!!!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The guidelines say nothing about it...so I was thinking if they were opposed to it they would state not to do it. I don't believe I would be competing with myself, unless I were submitting either two poetry manuscripts or two fiction manuscripts. I'm not arguing to put myself in the right, here...just thinking out loud. Now, you have me wondering? I just thought they are so opposite...poetry and fiction...that it wouldn't even raise an eyebrow. Am I wrong thinking this? I am also thinking that they would probably have a limit of manuscripts they accept...within each department. I'm just thinking that I would be sending them one apple and one orange...to be judged separately by two different people? Should I just send one and wait and see what the outcome is and then send the other?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I appreciate your comments, Victoria. I would rather be cautious than offend, of course. Maybe you are right about going with just one? I have a few days to decide, so I will think on it a little more. I'm just preparing the manuscripts...one final sweep for landmines. Thank you.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Is there anyone you can email for clarification before sending both?

Status
Not open for further replies.