PDA

View Full Version : A question about alcohol

alaskamatt17
01-10-2007, 10:19 AM
What kind of drink would a successful, single male order if he was in a sleezy downtown bar, alone, and was feeling a little down-and-out? I don't drink, but one of my characters hits a bar mid-story to drown his sorrows.

If it helps, he's a defense attorney in the process of losing a case in which he strongly believes his client is innocent.

blacbird
01-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Scotch, straight up (neat, as they say in Scotland), or more likely, a double, on the rocks.

caw

poetinahat
01-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Or bourbon. If the bar's a dive, he's not going to order anything fancypants, and not likely to demand a particular brand.

What time period have you set him in? In the early 60's, he could be drinking martinis or manhattans. Or, if he's ended up in Trader Vic's, it might be a Sufferin' Bastard.

Birol
01-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Depends on his tastes and preferences. Beer, whiskey, bourbon, scotch. All of those sound believable to me. (NOTE: I'm not a drinker either.)

Lyra Jean
01-10-2007, 10:45 AM
The strongest drink in the house and make it a double.

PeeDee
01-10-2007, 10:51 AM
........Tea?

Sorry. I don't drink. I tend to alternate in my stories between whiskey and bourbon, but for no good reason at all.

poetinahat
01-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Just wondering: why does one have to drink to be qualified to answer this question? Tell you what: I'm staying waaaaay away from you Horror Forum people! (And the Erotica Forum -- I'm a married man!)

Tangential anecdote: When I was a kid (oh, under five), I had no idea that stuntmen or special effects existed. I hypothesized that, when a character in a movie or TV show died, the role had to be played by a condemned criminal.

alaskamatt17
01-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Okay, scotch sounds good. How much would the average man have to drink to give himself a hangover the next day, but still have the mental capacity to catch a cab back to his hotel? (Sorry if this is a bit specific, but I really don't know anything about alcohol, and wikipedia isn't offering much help.)

Birol
01-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Again, depends. How much does he weigh? Has he eaten? Is he accustomed to drinking?

PeeDee
01-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Okay, scotch sounds good. How much would the average man have to drink to give himself a hangover the next day, but still have the mental capacity to catch a cab back to his hotel? (Sorry if this is a bit specific, but I really don't know anything about alcohol, and wikipedia isn't offering much help.)

THAT'S the bit us non-drinking folks (well, me anyway) can't answer.

Most of what I know about alcohol is from reading characters drinking it.

Sorry. I just never could get a taste for the "fermented" business. It just doesn't sit well with my taste buds.

alaskamatt17
01-10-2007, 11:00 AM
He's accustomed to drinking, but not heavily and not often. He weighs a little over 180 lbs., and hasn't had a meal in the last eight hours.

poetinahat
01-10-2007, 11:05 AM
At a guess? Six or eight would make his head pound the next day. If he's not much of a drinker, even four would do it, especially on an empty stomach. (I've been 'retired' for a number of years, though.)

If he's smoking (or inhaling a lot of second-hand smoke), that hangover's going to be worse.

Birol
01-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Google "alcohol absorption rates" (http://www.nd.edu/~aldrug/services/absorbtion_rate.shtml) without the quotes. Also do the same search on PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?).

PeeDee
01-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Good lord. At my weight, alcohol would kill AND preserve me in any decent amount.

BlueTexas
01-10-2007, 11:10 AM
He's accustomed to drinking, but not heavily and not often. He weighs a little over 180 lbs., and hasn't had a meal in the last eight hours.

I'd say four or five, since he's accustomed to drinking and is a man. My husband drinks bourbon, weighs 220 and can on an empty stomach put away about 6 before he gets a hangover. But it depends too on the amount of time it takes him to consume it. If he's doing shots one after the other he's going to drink more than he meant to and be more likely to have a hangover. The last time my husband had a hangover, he drank, over a 6 hour period, with food, wine, beer and bourbon - maybe 10 drinks. No, he's not an alcoholic, it was a business trip and he had to keep up.

I used to be a bartender, too. From that experience, most men would have three before they were done - done being the happily buzzed point and in no danger of a hangover. It was a hotel bar, most customers had rooms booked, so they weren't stopping so they could drive.

katiemac
01-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Depending how the scene goes, you probably don't even need to tell us how much he drinks. If he gets the cab but wakes up with a hangover, we'll get the idea. (The bartender might call him a cab, too, if he can't himself.)

blacbird
01-10-2007, 11:15 AM
........Tea?

Sorry. I don't drink. I tend to alternate in my stories between whiskey and bourbon, but for no good reason at all.

Few bourbon drinkers like scotch, and vice versa.

caw

maddythemad
01-10-2007, 11:16 AM

Okay, not much then.

Seriously. Not eating + drinking = very bad idea.

PeeDee
01-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Few bourbon drinkers like scotch, and vice versa.

caw

I meant the stories alternate, not the drinks. In one drink, the Drinking Character will like scotch, in the next story, som eother character will like bourbon. Not the same person.

Bartholomew
01-10-2007, 11:43 AM
PeeDee-- Notice the correct spelling of Bourbon throughout this thread. :)

*Flees*

TwentyFour
01-10-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm from Va and we only drink MOONSHINE and SWEETTEA. Peedee would fit in well here.

As for the bar scene...I would choose a good strong beer. If a man is down and wants to drink, let him have an old favorite of the bar scene...if he's part pirate matey! give him a rum!

TwentyFour
01-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Most men will relate to the beer, whether they are rich, poor, white, black, red man or yellow...just my opinion.

GPatten
01-10-2007, 12:35 PM

Keep it simple. Too much detail looses the reader. Give the man a couple of drinks.

Mac H.
01-10-2007, 12:50 PM
What kind of drink would a successful, single male order ...A pink lemonade.

A real man doesn't give a damn what others expect him to drink.

Mac

Sohia Rose
01-10-2007, 01:26 PM
I would say six glasses of scotch. The house brand. It's cheap.

Chasing the Horizon
01-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Well, I'm a girl and I can drink eight or more double shots of rum under those same circumstances without getting a hangover (I can find my way home after more than that), so either leave the number up to our imaginations, or make it something I'll believe. :D

P.S. I don't even drink regularly

seun
01-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Your character's mental and emotional state would also play a large part. The effects will be different depending on how he feels. If he wants to have a few drinks and mellow or if he wants to get smashed and try to forget about things for a while, there will be a difference.

Going by the setting, the fact that he has not eaten in eight hours will also be important. He would probably be sloshed after just a few whiskey's.

Willowmound
01-10-2007, 01:47 PM
The surest way to start vomiting from excess drinking is to not have eaten first. Now, if you drink spirits, and you do it fast, all the more reason to keep that taxi window open when making your way home.

Maybe he should have some nuts or something with his drinks.

I'd just drink beer. Mmmm, beer.....

Chasing the Horizon
01-10-2007, 02:03 PM
I just double checked and I actually never say how much my characters drink, even though there must be a dozen scenes where they are either drinking or drunk. I show how drunk they are by their behavior and leave the exact amount of liquor it took for them to get that way up to people's imaginations.

Everyone reacts differently to alcohol, so no matter what you do someone will say it's unrealistic if you specify the type and number of drinks. IMO leave the number out entirely.

Willowmound
01-10-2007, 02:37 PM
I think Hope has a very good point.

UrsusMinor
01-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Faulkner, Cheever, Burgess, Steinbeck, O'Neill, Carver, Crane, Roethke, Melville, London, Poe, Parker, Benchley, Lewis, and the rest must be spinning in their graves. (Yes, I know they wouldn't have been in their graves so soon if they'd downed less booze...)

I thought drinking was part of the basic requirement to get admitted to the writing fraternity. (It's less permanent than suicide, which is also another writer favorite.)

If it's a sleazy bar (as you said) I'd go with a bunch of vodka tonics (don't get too specific about numbers). A sleazy bar is unlikely to have drinkable scotch, and the whiskey might be sketchy, too. No matter what the vodka snobs contend, vodka varies comparatively little.

But it depends on the kind of character, and whether his goal is to get plastered--or if he's getting plastered as a side-effect of sitting and drinking while brooding.

If he really plans to get drunk in a low-class way, I'd suggest boilermakers: cheap whiskey shot chased with a glass of beer. Repeat as needed.

============================

A painter can hang his pictures, but a writer can only hang himself.

Edward Dahlberg

Willowmound
01-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Mmmm.....cheap whiskey chased by beer....

Birol
01-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Ursus Minor brings up a very good point. Although the character is successful now, what's his history? Did he come from a blue blood background or a blue collar? If he's the first member of his family to come this far, going into a dive bar might be returning to his roots and he may return to the drinking preferences of his father which he would have experienced in his own young adult years.

expatbrat
01-10-2007, 02:45 PM
I'd have him drink Carona with a slice of lime, and have him actually ask for the lime not assume it as a given that the beer will come with it.

I agree with Hope re not mentioning the exact number of drinks drunk, perhaps you could mention the table full of empty bottles or something similar. MC could complain about the poor service or the bus-boys not collecting the empties in a timely manner.

Willowmound
01-10-2007, 02:49 PM
I'd have him drink Carona with a slice of lime

Girlie-drink ;)

Birol
01-10-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm thinking it sounds like expatbrat has never been in a dive bar in the US. ;)

loquax
01-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Have the bartender decided.

"Whiskey on the rocks and keep 'em coming. But hey, I need to get home tonight."

BlueTexas
01-10-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm thinking it sounds like expatbrat has never been in a dive bar in the US. ;)

Me, too. Dive bars and limes generally don't mix.

And in Texas, Corona comes with lime and isn't a girly drink at all.

FergieC
01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
If he's drinking to get drunk, Manhattens would be a good chioce - bourbon and vermouth with bitters, I think.

Willowmound
01-10-2007, 03:42 PM
And in Texas, Corona comes with lime and isn't a girly drink at all.

*shakes head*
And they call themselves cowboys...

Jamesaritchie
01-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Having spent an awful lot of time in the sleaziest of bars during my youth, I can tell you they don't have really expensive whiskey, no two hundred dollar a bottle stuff, but even the sleaziest has some very good whiskey, be it Scotch, bourbon, Irish, vodka, tequila, or you name it.

No two hundreds bucks per bottle stuff, but along with the cheap, rotgut stuff, there will be a few bottles of thirty to forty dollar to fifty dollar a bottle whiskey, and the bartender can mix pretty much any drink you can imagine. No everyone goes to a sleazy bar because they're poor. Many go simply because they like the comapny better, but they still want decent whiskey and beer.

BruceJ
01-10-2007, 04:20 PM
If you want the drink to reflect a lack of confidence in his own ability this latest setback may have inflicted on him, give the man a Bud--especially if earlier in the story he seems to favor scotch.

Shadow_Ferret
01-10-2007, 05:13 PM
At a guess? Six or eight would make his head pound the next day. If he's not much of a drinker, even four would do it, especially on an empty stomach. (I've been 'retired' for a number of years, though.)

Good lord man! I enjoy my bourbon, but six or eight would have me puking that night! :) But I'm primarily a beer man so maybe I'm not used to it.

I think a safe number would be around 5 on an empty stomach.

CaroGirl
01-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Well, I'm a girl and I can drink eight or more double shots of rum under those same circumstances without getting a hangover (I can find my way home after more than that), so either leave the number up to our imaginations, or make it something I'll believe. :D

P.S. I don't even drink regularly
You must be quite young. Liquor intolerance and hangovers increase exponentially as age increases. Believe me, I know. I used to be able to drink an entire mickey of rum in a couple of hours and wake up without a hangover. Now, not so much.

IMO, Corona is not a choice to make if you're looking to get really drunk really quickly. It's a *light* beer (meaning less alcohol) and it's served in a slightly smaller bottle than regular beer. How about a Rusty Nail? (That's 1 oz Scotch, 1 oz Drambuie.)

pling
01-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Maybe you should get sloshed and finish writing the scene. Look at it again when you're sober.

Uh...That's a joke. If you don't drink, please don't.

Jamesaritchie
01-10-2007, 05:42 PM
If you want the drink to reflect a lack of confidence in his own ability this latest setback may have inflicted on him, give the man a Bud--especially if earlier in the story he seems to favor scotch.

Depends on the person. Six or eight shots of whiskey over anything like a reaosnable period shouldn't have a man overly drunk, if he's at all used to drinking, and shouldn't cause much of a hangover, if any at all.. And Bud ain't going to cut it unless he sits there and drinks for a long, long time.

Jamesaritchie
01-10-2007, 05:44 PM
You must be quite young. Liquor intolerance and hangovers increase exponentially as age increases. Believe me, I know. I used to be able to drink an entire mickey of rum in a couple of hours and wake up without a hangover. Now, not so much.

IMO, Corona is not a choice to make if you're looking to get really drunk really quickly. It's a *light* beer (meaning less alcohol) and it's served in a slightly smaller bottle than regular beer. How about a Rusty Nail? (That's 1 oz Scotch, 1 oz Drambuie.)

It's not so much age as it is drinking way too much over the years. An old person generally has the same tolerance as a young person, IF their drinking experience is the same. When you start losing your tolerance for alcohol, it's not a sign that you're getting older, it's a sign that you've been drinking way too much over those years.

Brickie
01-10-2007, 05:53 PM
You can also find that tolerance increases/decreases with habitual consumption, I think.

I was never a heavy drinker, but while at university would, most Friday nights, have a few pints with friends. Typically 4 or 5 pints over the course of an evening, of Strongbow or similar cider (so about 4-5%). And would be quite all right. Hardly even drunk.

These days, just one or two go to my head because I don't drink very much or very often. My mum never drinks at all, so if she has champagne at a wedding or something, she gets quite giggly from one glass...

BlueTexas
01-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Have the bartender decided.

"Whiskey on the rocks and keep 'em coming. But hey, I need to get home tonight."

Say that to a bartender and you'll get two drinks and a cab call. That's what I was always instructed to do when I tended bar.

PeeDee
01-10-2007, 06:07 PM
*mumbles* Mostly, I'd just like a cup of tea, please.... :)

jsh
01-10-2007, 06:10 PM
If the bar's a dive, he's not going to order anything fancypants, and not likely to demand a particular brand.
Unless he's a girl-drink drunk (www.kithfan.org/work/transcripts/three/girldrnk.html).

A beer and a chaser might be viable; i.e., a beer and a shot. A bar in my college town—a local bar, not a college nightclub—called that the Depression Special. If he's been at trial all day, he's not had a lot of fluids. Five of those and he'll be good & hammered, and probably hung over. Recall once when Homer Simpson was really drunk and Marge asks how many beers he's had, he replies that he's had one, okay...ten.

Jamesaritchie
01-10-2007, 06:14 PM
You can also find that tolerance increases/decreases with habitual consumption, I think.

I was never a heavy drinker, but while at university would, most Friday nights, have a few pints with friends. Typically 4 or 5 pints over the course of an evening, of Strongbow or similar cider (so about 4-5%). And would be quite all right. Hardly even drunk.

These days, just one or two go to my head because I don't drink very much or very often. My mum never drinks at all, so if she has champagne at a wedding or something, she gets quite giggly from one glass...

That's it exactly. Tolerance increases as you gain experience drinking, and then, as you drink too much for too long, tolerance decreases. It isn't age that causes you to lose tolerance, it's habitual consumption over the years. Alcoholics often reach the point where it takes very little alcohol to make them drunk as the proverbial skunk.

CaroGirl
01-10-2007, 06:16 PM
It's not so much age as it is drinking way too much over the years. An old person generally has the same tolerance as a young person, IF their drinking experience is the same. When you start losing your tolerance for alcohol, it's not a sign that you're getting older, it's a sign that you've been drinking way too much over those years.
My experience is, of course, purely anecdotal, but it stands to reason that one's liver at 19 is better able to metabolize alcohol, particularly if the drinker has only just begun drinking with any regularity, than one's liver at age 40. It isn't only the toxins in alcohol that a liver has to filter. Many foods and other drinks have chemicals, fillers and other types of toxins.

I now drink moderately because I know how much I can consume before suffering bed-spins and a morning hangover. But it's also much less than I could consume at 19. And I've certainly never been anything close to an alcoholic. IMO, age is a factor in alcohol tolerance.

PeeDee
01-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Everyone here is saying "I Am Not A Heavy Drinker." I think it's time for a forum-wide intervention.

jsh
01-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Everyone here is saying "I Am Not A Heavy Drinker." I think it's time for a forum-wide intervention.Catch-22! :D

Birol
01-10-2007, 07:44 PM
What would you like us to put into your tea, Pete? Just for flavoring, you understand.

PeeDee
01-10-2007, 07:49 PM
........*thinks this is like asking a fish what he would like in his water*

More tea? :)

Shadow_Ferret
01-10-2007, 07:49 PM
What kind of drink would a successful, single male order if he was in a sleezy downtown bar, alone, and was feeling a little down-and-out? I don't drink, but one of my characters hits a bar mid-story to drown his sorrows.

If it helps, he's a defense attorney in the process of losing a case in which he strongly believes his client is innocent.

I think we need to take into account the location of this novel.

For instance if he's in Tennesee, then wouldn't he drink one of the Tennessee whiskies, like Jack Daniels or George Dickel? If he's in Bourbon county or thereabouts, of course, he'd have bourbon. If he's in another part of that area, he'd drink rye. If he was in Wisconsin, he'd order brandy.

I'd also wonder if a successful, meaning more than likely well-off, lawyer would go into a sleezy bar. Especially dressed in what's probably a 3-piece suit. I think he'd still head for his normal high-falutin watering hole.

Matt McKee
01-10-2007, 08:41 PM
I'd like to weigh in on this topic because I used to hang out in sleazy bars in my youth (not all that long ago - a decade perhaps)

I used to drink very heavily when I was in college. So much so that I quit cold turkey for two years without a drop after a nurse took one look at me and told me I was going to die from it. Pretty sobering stuff.

At my "best" I could polish off a 20 oz. of single malt scotch and put a serious dent in another before the sun came up and my body gave out on me. A doctor later told me that that amount was enough to kill several people, but I had a familiy history and high metabolism on my side that had several years of practice drinking like a fish. My tolerance got quite high. Now eight beers during the evening gets me all swimmy and I have to go and lie down if the room would stop spinning and let me. The individual biology and history of a drinker can change so drastically that it is pretty tough to generalize.

How much should your character drink? Lots. Even slobberingly drunk he can make it to a cab. Some people get hangovers at the drop of a hat, some get totally plastered and make a 8AM tennis match. I think the vast majority of readers can relate to lots=hangover.

An empty stomach is doom, by the way. If he hadn't eaten in eight hours, your character would probably feel the first drink, really feel the second, and be increasingly hammered thereafter. As a rule of thumb, I would impart a factor of three for every drink you plop into a truly empty stomach.

What should your character drink? All good suggestions here. My experiences have taught me that people who want to get drunk don't want fancy drinks. They are looking for efficacy. Whiskey (scotch, rye, or otherwise), burbon, vodka, gin, tequila, rum without any mixes or dilution are usually the favourite ways to get as drunk as possible as quickly as possible.

My advice would be to go to a sleazy bar yourself and watch what the patrons are drinking. Or ask the bartender.

I hope that this long diatribe is of some help. Kinda turned into a novella there...

maestrowork
01-10-2007, 08:42 PM

I had the same situation in my novel. My character drank two shots of Tequila and some Johnny Walker.

RumpleTumbler
01-10-2007, 09:34 PM
A double shot of Jack (Daniels) with a Bud draft on the side.

Oh wait, you said what would he order. ;)

One thing about being successful though is that many, many successful people are redneck and stupid. Success in many ways goes with the who you know or who you blow algorhtym. So what they might drink couldn't be stereotyped.

icerose
01-10-2007, 09:47 PM
I don't drink either, never have, but I do want to point out that different locations will have different alcohol proofs or whatever they're called in the drinks due to various alcohol laws. Like Utah has the weakest drinks in the US. Go to Canada and our beer is weak tea compared to theirs so I'm told.

So one person may be able to drink 8 double scotches in Utah no problem but wouldn't survive 2 in Canada.

Okay, carry on.

a tree of night
01-10-2007, 09:48 PM
If you're alone and feeling depressed in a dive, there are two possibilities :

a) Go for the quickest, cheapest buzz that isn't completely revolting to your tastebuds - probably something along the lines of a Jack Daniels.

b) Get a moderate beer (not a cheap one, because it'll be watered down) and nurse it until the bartender gets annoyed with you taking up space and not giving him money. Repeat.

At my "best" I could polish off a 20 oz. of single malt scotch and put a serious dent in another before the sun came up and my body gave out on me.
Remind me to never let you near my Laphroaig collection.

CaroGirl
01-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Go to Canada and our beer is weak tea compared to theirs so I'm told.
Oh yeah, that's true. One thing we CAN make in Canada is great beer. And lots of it.

engmajor2005
01-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Why worry about the details?

Say your character's name is Johnny.

Johnny went to the cheapest, skankiest dive in town. He wanted to get drunk and he wanted to get drunk quick; cheap booze would let him do that.
"So what'll ya have?" the bartender asked.
"Something that'll kick my ass."
The bartender walked away and came back later with a dark drink poured into a tall glass. "Here you go."
Johnny took a sip. It smelled like motor oil and tasted like tar, and just looking at it made him feel numb; it would do just fine.

And the next morning...

"Jesus," Johnny said to his buddy Jim. "One more of those drinks and I wouldn't have been here today."

But if you do want to fuss over the details, just call the drink a Grim Reaper. Two reasons:

1) The name alone says it all.

2) I had a drink called that...three of them in fact. The next day, I felt like I had been turned into a vampire. I quit drinking later that afternoon and haven't had a drop since. I was a heavy imbiber until then.

alaskamatt17
01-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I decided to go with scotch, followed by more scotch. Since it's on an empty stomach I didn't overdo it on the drink count.

Saundra Julian
01-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Crown and water! :D

Gabriele
01-10-2007, 10:42 PM

Lol, same here (only make that Single Malt or Calvados instead of rum). But with my Viking/Russian/Scottish ancestry, I have the best genes. :D

I'd say your character should have several Death by Rhino. :P

That one was invented in a writer's chat. You know how these go. ;)
(I spare you the particularities how the rhino got in):
- you could have your character killed by a mutant ninja rhino
- death by rhino
- you know, Death by Rhino is a great name for a drink
- what would go in that one?
- hm, something dark; is there liquorice in something
- I bet there's liquorice vodka; there's vodka anything
- ok liquorice vodka with ... triple espresso
- I'd like to add some pepper; I have a pepper vodka that's just great
- lol, there we go: Death by Rhino, triple cold espresso, fill up the glass with liquorice vodka and add some pepper
- some of these should kill a character better than any mutant ninja rhino could
:D

farfromfearless
01-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Oh yeah, that's true. One thing we CAN make in Canada is great beer. And lots of it.

Fer sure, none of that diluted horse piss across the border :D

IrishScribbler
01-10-2007, 11:06 PM
...Death by Rhino, triple cold espresso, fill up the glass with liquorice vodka and add some pepper ....

Wow.

jennifer75
01-10-2007, 11:14 PM

Scotch on the rocks.

Jamesaritchie
01-10-2007, 11:15 PM
I don't drink either, never have, but I do want to point out that different locations will have different alcohol proofs or whatever they're called in the drinks due to various alcohol laws. Like Utah has the weakest drinks in the US. Go to Canada and our beer is weak tea compared to theirs so I'm told.

So one person may be able to drink 8 double scotches in Utah no problem but wouldn't survive 2 in Canada.

Okay, carry on.

Well, strength isn't that big an issue with whiskey of any type. Even in Utah. Whiskey must have a certain minimum alcohol content before it can legally be called whiskey.

Utah only prohibits beer with more than 3.2% alcohol, which is about half the strength it is everywhere else. But as far as I know, you can get hard liquer in Utah that's just as strong as it is anywhere. I've sure bought some very hard stuff there.

Jamesaritchie
01-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Fer sure, none of that diluted horse piss across the border :D

Another things that gripes me about Canada. I know what you all think of US beer, but it tastes ever so much better than anything I've found in Canada.

icerose
01-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Well, strength isn't that big an issue with whiskey of any type. Even in Utah. Whiskey must have a certain minimum alcohol content before it can legally be called whiskey.

Utah only prohibits beer with more than 3.2% alcohol, which is about half the strength it is everywhere else. But as far as I know, you can get hard liquer in Utah that's just as strong as it is anywhere. I've sure bought some very hard stuff there.

Okay, well there you go, again not a drinker so I was just pointing out the one point I did know is that at least in beer it's pretty weak.

Sonarbabe
01-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I decided to go with scotch, followed by more scotch. Since it's on an empty stomach I didn't overdo it on the drink count.

Very good idea on the drink count. A few years back, I was in a car accident on the way TO a company holiday party and it totaled my car. Neither me nor my husband had a drop to drink prior to the event, but a friend came and got us and took us there anyway. (Hey, it was free prime rib!) Well, they were offering free wine and everyone heard about the accident and they were giving us their bottles of wine from their tables. At the time, I was a big girl at 170 lbs and drank 3 bottles. End result?? Alcohol posioning. I'd eaten at the lovely buffet, but I'd drank so much to forget the accident that I'd damn near killed myself. So, I'd say leaving out the drink count is best and make sure his tummy is hurting in the morning too.

jennifer75
01-10-2007, 11:20 PM

If he's smoking (or inhaling a lot of second-hand smoke), that hangover's going to be worse.

Depends what you're drinking...and how much. 6 or 8 of anything will make your head pound.....2 tequila shots can do the same. And if you're really new at things...a couple beers will have you feelin yucky.

Chasing the Horizon
01-10-2007, 11:34 PM
If he's in New Orleans have him order a Hurricane. Those things are amazing. You can't even taste the alcohol, but I had two and felt like I'd drank ten shots of rum.

New Orleans is awesome. They have these things that look like slushy machines all over the french quarter. You can get daiquiris, white russions, and, of course, hurricanes in these huge to-go cups and just sip on them while you walk around. A lot of people get into trouble with those drinks because you can't taste the alcohol. (Hey, I warned my travel companions, so I claim no responsibility for any of it. :D )
None of this has anything to do with the actual topic so I'll stop now.

jdparadise
01-11-2007, 01:55 AM
Ursus Minor brings up a very good point. Although the character is successful now, what's his history? Did he come from a blue blood background or a blue collar? If he's the first member of his family to come this far, going into a dive bar might be returning to his roots and he may return to the drinking preferences of his father which he would have experienced in his own young adult years.

And it's well elucidated upon by Birol.

This is something you may be able to use in conjunction with your themes, whatever they may be. After this big moment in his life, is it that he's drinking, what he's drinking, where he's drinking, who he's drinking with/around, or why he's drinking that can best tie into his history and the story at large?

jdparadise
01-11-2007, 01:57 AM

Or have him ask the bartender what he should be drinking?

lfraser
01-11-2007, 02:11 AM
Maybe take a lesson from R.Geddins as sung by Stevie Ray:

"Hey, hey, hey, hey, alley's the roughest place I've ever been,
All the people down there, livin' for their whiskey, wine and gin."

Getting drunk is getting drunk. It doesn't matter what you choose. It's a state of mind.

Matt McKee
01-11-2007, 02:12 AM
Remind me to never let you near my Laphroaig collection.

Mmmmm! ;)

Actually, I've converted to a sipper now. I enjoy my Glenfiddich much more that way (the odd time I am in the mood).

Besides, if I drank that much today I would be pronounced 'dead on arrival' at Emergency.

:e2drunk:

engmajor2005
01-11-2007, 02:51 AM
Death by Rhino, triple cold espresso, fill up the glass with liquorice vodka and add some pepper

Grim Reaper
House specialty at the Ham's of Goldsboro.

1 shot vodka
1 shot rum
1 shot triple sec
1 shot gin
1 shot raspberry liqeur
1 shot cherry liquer
1 shot apple liquer
1 shot orange liquer
ice

Pour ingredients into chilled glass and stir. Serve with straw.

I had three of them mothers one night...the next day I swore off alcohol.

jennifer75
01-11-2007, 02:51 AM
Or have him ask the bartender what he should be drinking?

that's a good idea .... "bartender, what do you recommend for a fucked up day"?

I like that. Go with it.

alaskamatt17
01-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Asking the bartender what he should drink is an excellent idea. Thanks, jdparadise.

expatbrat
01-11-2007, 07:57 AM

Sure I have. They are the bars you go to after you've spent the day doing scuba from a luxury yacht and dining on smoked salmon and canapés, right?

PeeDee
01-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Sure I have. They are the bars you go to after you've spent the day doing scuba from a luxury yacht and dining on smoked salmon and canapés, right?

*and he laughs and he laughs some more*

*and he wipes a tear from his eye*

*and he says a little sadly*

Take me with you?

MattW
01-11-2007, 04:16 PM
It you are looking to give the character a hangover, the worst rotgut is the stuff to get. The quality of the drink factors into a hangover almost as much as quantity of drink.

From my own experience, 6-8 shots will keep me mobile yet fairly well inebriated; 3-4 shots per hour is a good pace. Navigated cabs, subways, and circuitous streets in many cities and foreign countries.

Gabriele
01-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Grim Reaper
House specialty at the Ham's of Goldsboro.

1 shot vodka
1 shot rum
1 shot triple sec
1 shot gin
1 shot raspberry liqeur
1 shot cherry liquer
1 shot apple liquer
1 shot orange liquer
ice

Pour ingredients into chilled glass and stir. Serve with straw.

I had three of them mothers one night...the next day I swore off alcohol.

Ouch, those fruit liquers would kill me right away. Can't stand the stuff - not because of the alcohol but because of the sugar.

I'm usually for the unblended stuff, but I like a Bloody Mary now and then. With tabasco. :D

Kate Thornton
01-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Two words. Gin and grapefruit juice. Okay, more than two words, but that's what it does to you. And all that vitamin C, too.

(The cocktail is called a Greyhound.)

Love the idea of asking the bartender, though.

a tree of night
01-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Do dive bars typically have the ingredients to do too many mixed drinks? I could be wrong, but I don't envision The Smoky Armpit shelving a lot of raspberry liquer.

Actually, I've converted to a sipper now. I enjoy my Glenfiddich much more that way (the odd time I am in the mood).
In that case, come on by. There's still a little Laphroaig Quarter Cask (pause, sigh lovingly) left. I'm not big on Glenfiddich, but I do have a bottle or two of the Special Reserve around here somewhere.

RumpleTumbler
01-12-2007, 09:47 PM
I don't envision The Smoky Armpit shelving a lot of raspberry liquer.

The Smoky Armpit....*snicker*

Matt McKee
01-12-2007, 11:57 PM
In that case, come on by. There's still a little Laphroaig Quarter Cask (pause, sigh lovingly) left. I'm not big on Glenfiddich, but I do have a bottle or two of the Special Reserve around here somewhere.

Sounds dreamy, but I'm not sure I want to be, to quote Sting: "caught between the Scylla and Charybdis."

Stressed
01-13-2007, 01:30 AM
The last time I was a successful single male and I happened to be in a sleazy downtown bar, alone and feeling a little down-and-out, only scotch, straight up, would do… ;)

Ed Rogers
01-14-2007, 02:20 AM
Scotch is not a drink someone has to get drunk. And the scotch you would get in a dive wouldn't be fit to drink anyway. Stick with bourbon whiskey in a shot glass and a beer backer. Oh yeah, that'll put under the table.http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

alaskamatt17
02-06-2007, 02:25 AM
Okay, another question about alcohol, for a different WIP: What are all the brands/kinds of alcohol with male names (e.g. Jack Daniels)?

Matt McKee
02-06-2007, 02:35 AM
Okay, another question about alcohol, for a different WIP: What are all the brands/kinds of alcohol with male names (e.g. Jack Daniels)?

Captain Morgan Rum? The pirate on the bottle has pretty swanky moustaches so the Captain is probably a guy.

Matt McKee
02-06-2007, 02:48 AM
Jose Cuervo tequila, too. I'll check the liquor cabinet.

Ed Rogers
02-06-2007, 04:21 AM
If you are asking why they all have male names, it was thought of as a business a lady should not be involved in. Most Bootleggers were men. It was hard hot work, that could get you killed, by not only the police but the other families in the business.http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif