help? do I call, or do I move on?

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all. I had an agent tell me mid-December that she wanted to talk on the phone about my manuscript and future projects. She set it up to talk to me on Dec. 28, around noon.

Time rolls by, and she never calls.

I send two emails to her between then and now, and still no response.

So, my dilemma - do I call the agency and see if she's even still employed there? This agency is notorious for high turnover, so I wouldn't be too surprised...but if that happened, I'm guessing I'd be dead in the water, anyway (since I'm presuming no one else may want to rep it). And ask for her to call me back?

Do I try yet again to send an email?

Do I let it go and move on?

I ask because it's a decent agency making sales, and I believe the head of the agency is the guy making the sales...she's kind of an associate under him, perhaps training or something.

Anyway, this stinks, and it's eating up my thoughts. I hate to let a lead go if it can be salvaged. Then again, I don't think I want to deal with someone who wouldn't even bother to contact me.

But on the other hand, what if something happened to her, and she couldn't contact me? Is it reasonable to call an agency if they promised to call you, but didn't for some reason?

AAAAAH! Okay, this is making me neutoric. *deep breaths*.

Thanks. I'm going to go plunge my head in the sink at work. LOL.

Rhonda, who had too much caffeine today

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
At this point, you've got nothing to lose by calling. If she's still working there, I'll bet she takes the call. But if you reach her voicemail, don't leave a message. Just keep calling until you get her.
If she's no longer there, don't cross her off your list. She might soon pop up at another agency or even at a publishing company (although it usually works the other way around.
And if she's no longer there, you could still use the fact that she was interested to get another agent there to read it.
A word of warning though: the one time this happened to me, it was only the assistant calling to tell me they'd lost my manuscript and could I send another copy. An hour later I got another call saying they'd found it.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
LOL - thanks so much for the tip about the manuscript. LOLOL

She said she'd read it and wanted to talk about the ending, as well as my future projects...

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Keep calling until they say "we're not interested". hehe.

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
All they can say is no. And really something might have happened to her employment or she had a family emergency or something. Call away. I think you totally have the right.

Maprilynne

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
This actually is a case that you need to call and leave a message if there is no answer. With respect to your emails -- in the subject line you need to make it clear that you are referring to requested material. I would put it in the subject line in all caps.
Does a secretary answer the phone? I know my agent has an assistant so the phone is always answered unless you are calling after hours.
Try not to obsess (I know it's hard).
Good luck

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with leaving a message on a machine or a voice mail is that then you are waiting for a call back because once you've called you feel like it would be pushing it to call again an hour or a day later.
If a real person answers the phone and you get to explain your situation then I can see leaving your name and number. But I'd rather have the ball in my court.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I called the office, and I guess she's not back from vacation yet...? The secretary (or whoever answered) told me to call back on Thursday if I haven't heard from her.

So, we'll see...thanks, guys!