Writing long hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else find it easier to write with a pen and a paper than using a computer? When I use the computer, it seems like I expect everything to be perfect the first time, but with paper and pen, I just write. I think it might come from my day job where everything I write really does have to almost perfect the first time I do it.

So, which do you prefer? Long hand or computer?

kbax

Refrigerate After Opening
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristophrenia.blogspot.com
I write longhand, too, for a few reasons:
  • I get distracted on the computer. Too many other things for me to look at, play with, etc. Ooooh, shiny....
  • I like the feel. I love how the right pen feels in my hand, the way the words are formed, how my handwriting looks, the color of the ink...I'm a very tactile person, and writing, for me, needs to be a tactile experience as well as an intellectual one.
  • A notebook is easier to carry around and use in various locales than a laptop is. My notebook doesn't need a power source, thankyouverymuch.
I've tried and tried and tried to just write straight to the computer, because it sure would take less time than writing longhand and transferring it, but it's just not my thing. Once I accepted that, writing got a lot less frustrating.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I adore writing long-hand, like I adore writing on a typewriter. A computer is a necessary writing implement for me, and I'm not always happy about it.

I write long hand for most of my short stories, or for bits where I'm unsure what's happening yet. I treat it like my first draft. The process of typing what I wrote into the computer (I follow the handwritten draft loosely here) is essentially my next draft.

Novels I tend to write on the computer. "Tend to" is the operative phrase.

I like that I have notebooks I can shove in my pocket and take with me. I have all sorts of notebooks and journal things and things. It's wonderful.

I suggest for anyone about to begin handwriting their stories, get a comfortable ink pen. A ball point pen will murder your hand, because you have to push. Get something like a V5 or even better, a fountain pen. You have not known heaven until you've written with a good non-scratchy, non-clogged fountain pen with a nice grip on it and a good weight on the back.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I used to write everything in longhand first. My book was born between the pages of a couple of notebooks. But for the last few years torn ligaments in my forearm make holding a pen uncomfortable and painful if prolonged.

I've simply had to adapt to composing on the computer but it hasn't been easy. I miss writing the old-fashioned way.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I miss it, too. I can jot a quick (short) note to myself, or manage a grocery list - but anything more than that and the pain in my elbow will last for a week.

But back in the day, I was a pen and paper devotee. Oh, well, that and there were no PCs back then :D

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I do some of both, its the translation into the computer (like PeeDee) that is where a second draft comes from. But sometimes it slows me down severely. I had handwritten thousands of words on my current Novel in progress and felt that I couldn't move forward until I got them put in the computer, and it screwed me up. the actual writing in longhand was great, but I think I really require a computer to get the work done.
Poetry, I still love to handwrite.(but I do most of my editing to it once it's on the computer screen).

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
I find that I hit the "flow" state of writing faster with pen and ink. Like Kbax, the keyboard is connected to so many distractions.
For most writing (articles/short stories), I tend to write my first drafts longhand and start editing as I enter them into the computer.
For NaNoWriMo (which is the only time I've written whole novels) I start on the keyboard most of the time. I switch to longhand when I'm feeling blocked up.
For work (tech writing) I do everything on the computer.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I can't read my own writing. The only long hand I do is writing checks and even that's becoming few and far between thanks to debit cards. I'm actually losing the callous on my finger from lack of writing.

Not sure why you wouldn't expect your writing to be perfect if it's in pen versus on the computer. I try to put down the best I can at any given moment despite the medium I'm using.

Besides, I type so much faster than I could ever write. I can keep up with the flow of my thoughts without getting behind and then losing the whole train.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I'd rather just type it directly onto the computer. I type faster than I write. Guess it's because I like/have to write neatly. (A little OCD poking through.) And for some reason, when I do put pen to paper, I get side-tracked easier than when I'm at the computer. My mind starts wandering. You'd think it'd be the opposite, but for me, it's not.

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
I use to only be able to write longhand, but now I've gotten used to this new-fangled thing known as the computer! Who knew?

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Longhand writing keeps you sharp. Computers, while quick and easy, make me lazy. Everything from my spelling to my typing suffers if that's all I use.

I keep a nice, longhand journal.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
My handwriting is atrocious, and I was brought up with computers, so I do nothing in longhand. Well, that's not entirely true. Sometimes I'll do a short outline on paper, but I could never write the actual story like that. It would take twice as long to write out, and there'd be no guarantee that I'd be able to read it once it was finished.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Neil Gaiman pointed out when he was editing the Sandman: Book of Dreams short story collection that some stories that should have been 3,000 word were coming at 6,000. It was part of what sent him back to writing by hand. Computers, I think, sometimes make the words come too easily.

When I write by hand, I write faster and more steadily than I do on the computer (in theory; I write pretty steadily on both these days) but ultimately, i produce less content and it takes longer.

The downside of writing for deadlines is, I haven't always the luxury of doing it on paper. Not if someone's expecting something Right Damn Now.

My handwriting improves the more I handwrite. I think my hand just settles into doing it again. Plus, I have to be able to read what I write well enough that it doesnt' trip me up when I go to type it.

That said, I don't keep perfect and beautiful notebooks. I'll write a chunk of a scene, then scribble out a line and write something else.

Something else fun to do: Get a journal that isn't lined. Write a story from one end, and then flip the journal over and start writing another story from the back. Or do two different colored inks. It's amusing.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
RG570 said:
My handwriting is atrocious, and I was brought up with computers, so I do nothing in longhand. Well, that's not entirely true. Sometimes I'll do a short outline on paper, but I could never write the actual story like that. It would take twice as long to write out, and there'd be no guarantee that I'd be able to read it once it was finished.

This is exactly why, the more computers integrate in the world around me, the more inclined I am to handwrite certain things. I think complete dependency on a computer for my writing is not a good thing at all.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer to write longhand. I find myself tinkering too much with a computer draft. Sure, I mix up paragraph order, but I can get it out of my head. I have three WIP in leather-bound journals. :)

Beverly Lucey

Shadow_Ferret said:
I can't read my own writing. The only long hand I do is writing checks and even that's becoming few and far between thanks to debit cards. I'm actually losing the callous on my finger from lack of writing.

Not sure why you wouldn't expect your writing to be perfect if it's in pen versus on the computer. I try to put down the best I can at any given moment despite the medium I'm using.

Besides, I type so much faster than I could ever write. I can keep up with the flow of my thoughts without getting behind and then losing the whole train.
It's been a long winding transition for me. I used to think that something important in the process happened when I moved my rough paper draft onto my screen, editing all the way. But when I hand write to keep up with my mind, my penmanship goes down the tubes. "Sample grasping? Ideal switch of raisins?" I had no clue. Then I started losing things--folders, notebooks, sales slips with great ideas on them. THEN, despite a few fingers that tilt in odd directions, I realized I could type much faster than handwrite without getting cramps. That makes me a convert to the Temple of the Machine. Handwriting is for behaving badly in meetings (by starting a story instead of listening to a bad presentation) car rides (because it takes twelve whole hours to get to a beach from Arkansas) and public places (when I get to eavesdrop with impunity).

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
No way. I hate writing longhand, always have. Of course I did it, but now I won't unless I have to. My handwriting is bad, so I have to concentrate on my actual writing, and it's next to impossible to keep a story flowing when I'm using valuable (and limited, ha ha) brainpower on penmanship.

I make notes by hand, I make grocery lists by hand, but anything much longer than that? No.

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
I write poetry and lyrics longhand on lined paper. Old habits die hard. But I do everything else on the computer. (Count me in with the messy handwriting crowd.)

I do print drafts and edit them by hand, then retype the changes.

MajorDrums

Kidnapper
Registered
Reaction score
With writing longhand, I find that I can just write without worrying if a sentence is perfect or not. When writing on the comp, I can go over 1 sentence over and over until I'm satisfied before moving on. I probably need to time how long each process (longhand, then comp vs. comp alone) to see which actually takes me longer to complete my work.

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
I can barely write checks by hand anymore.... I need my computer. If it wasn't for computers I would be in a diferent line of work.

My hat is off to Shakespeare...

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I stopped writing most things in longhand the minute I got my first typewriter, which I think was when I was 18. Never looked back. I'm with you, John--if I had to write a novel in longhand, I probably wouldn't.

- Victoria

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
This is exactly why, the more computers integrate in the world around me, the more inclined I am to handwrite certain things. I think complete dependency on a computer for my writing is not a good thing at all.

Could not have said it better. I started a letter writing campaign among friends several years ago, in which we write each other at least twice a year--by hand. These are generally long letters on nice stationary and include discussions on topical subjects, as well as things of a personal matter. We do this for two reasons:

1) Nothing helps focus the mind more than sitting down with pen and paper and forming the right words prior to committing them. It's becoming a lost art, I fear.

2) I hate the idea that we're losing a vital source of history. Imagine how much less we'd know of or ancestors, if not for their collection of written letters. I know, email can save too, but I don't trust anything that can be altered by some technologically sophisticated twelve-year old. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.