Future Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't where to put this, so here goes.

If I get an agent to represent my novel, they sell it, and it does well, is it okay in the future to skip the query process? Could I just call them up and say "got another one for ya!" or would I have to go the usual route again?

I'm sure this is kind of case-by-case thing and would be up to the agent, I was just wondering if there was some kind of standard I wasn't aware of.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
engmajor2005 said:
Wasn't where to put this, so here goes.

If I get an agent to represent my novel, they sell it, and it does well, is it okay in the future to skip the query process? Could I just call them up and say "got another one for ya!" or would I have to go the usual route again?

I'm sure this is kind of case-by-case thing and would be up to the agent, I was just wondering if there was some kind of standard I wasn't aware of.

Yes, you just call them. Unless you want to move up the agent food chain. If your novel did well, then you can call them too! (Depending on your contract, of course.)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
The reason it is almost more difficult to get an agent than a publisher is that the agent is looking at a long term relationship. They are expecting to represent you and your future work for a good long time. A publisher will buy your book either on its own, possibly a multiple book deal, but you owe each other nothing outside of what's been contracted that one time. An agent can tell you that your current work isn't up to scratch yet to be submitted, but the assumption is eventually they will be submitting many works by you. This is why it is so important for you to like your agent, and not just settle for the first one that says they want to represent you (okay I know how much that is an ideal world, having a choice of agents, I mean I had only one offer but she turned out to be the most awesome agent ever, so I was lucky!)

Really thank goodness it is that way, imagine having to query an agent every single time you wanted to sell something. I think most people would throw in the hat!

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Toothpaste said:
Really thank goodness it is that way, imagine having to query an agent every single time you wanted to sell something. I think most people would throw in the hat!

I think you're right. Writing my query was like having hot oil poured on my naked flesh...and then being soaked in lemon juice. God willing, I don't want to go through it again.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Yeah, I think Toothpaste has the right of it, at least ideally. The agent/writer relationship is a partnership and until/if it dissolves your future work will be shopped by him/her.

I can think of at least one exception and that would be if you were a multi-platformed writer, writing novels and nonfic. In that instance you might want different agents with different areas of expertise.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Good point aka earser! I never thought of that one.

engmajor - I was really lucky with the whole query thing in that I was very very ignorant of how difficult a thing they were to write. I just found two nice examples, emulated them, and sent them off. I am SO glad I didn't stumble onto all the information (or simply Miss Snark's blog) about writing the prefect query until AFTER I got an agent. I might have gone mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.