Book Matter Novelties - Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
In this internet, want-it-now age, what are some unique book matter ideas that you can pitch to an agent or editor to create add' interest in your book (besides the age-old inclusion of a CD or DDV on the back flap)? I am planning a book that will appear to a pop culture audience and am looking for ideas. Whether it be an addition to the book content or otherwise. (Ex: Magician David Blayne wrote a book a couple years ago that included clues to lead the reader to a reward.)

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Sorry, guv, I've got nothing for you. I guess I could have a sticker that says Now with 10% more words! Now, 10% better written!

Barring that, I wouldn't mind a nice clicky pen either.

Tea bags! Include sample packs of all the teas featured in the book!

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! I'm still mulling over some Generation Y related angles.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
With Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" when it came out, they had a band around it that said "As good as Stephen King, or your money back!"

You could do that. But I sure as hell wouldn't.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
That is SO a line from a future Pixar movie.

ROFL! You crack me up PeeDee!~

Seriously though, I like clicky pens too and think that is a great marketing idea, there is a Book Promotions forum here you might want to check out here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Is this kind of thing something the author is allowed to have input on? I think it's cool to have stuff like that, keychains are cool too, I used to collect them and one thread in the above forum talks about cool emory boards. Hope I spelt that write, tired still was up wicked lat last night...still waking up at noon, that's what it's like being a mom though and I got to say I did get to spend it here working on the Flash Fic challenge so I can't complain ;)

Last edited:

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
That's true too veinglory. But for my children's stories I would love to see kids get clicky pens...that would just be cool I think. I remember getting pencils with things but never clicky pens unless it was a business not just as a promotional tool for something bought. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
But we are talking about pitching to an agent or publisher here--IMHO unless it is intergral (a CD with associated software) the emphasis should be on content.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, gimmicks dont' sell books, books sell books, if it's not a strong well written book it won't do too well and will probably not get published by any reputable publisher.

Tallymark

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't a huge fan of the book itself, but in A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by David Eggers, if you look closely, you'll find that the man has stuck his hand into just about every aspect of the book. As in, even the publication page is redone by him and has his odd sense of humor inserted into it. I thought this was hilariously funny and clever, and have always wanted, if I become successful, to ask a publisher if on one of my books I can do that. It may not be a big selling point, since you don't notice it until you look, but it's the sort of subtle thing that readers can get a big kick out of--they won't buy the book for it, but after they have bought and (hopefully) liked the book, they'd find it neat.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
That book irked the crap out of me.

Just saying. :)

The ONLY free inclusion I've ever enjoyed wiht my books have been Jim Baen's Free Library disc (one of them, anyway) that came with a lovely copy of a John Ringo book. I've quite enjoyed that.

I would worry that the rise of a fad of including something or another would make books look an awful lot like cereal boxes. Stephen King's Cell -- NOKIA PRE-PAID PHONE FREE WITH THIS BOOK!

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Too funny! But true, I agree, it's not good to have something look like a stereotypical cereal box with "Free inside!" plastered overtop of it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.