RSI/OOS Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beyondian

musker vyusher
Registered
Reaction score
I'm beginning to develop problems in my wrists and hands. I believe it to be warning signs of RSI, but I'm at a loss on how to handle it.
I love writing, and I dislike having to cut back so as not to spend too long on the computer a day, but my problems don't stop there!!
My job is computer intensive (only Computer work, actually), I play the piano, knit, and enjoy drawing. I do love reading, but how in heaven's name am I meant to keep myself occupied solely with reading?
And how am I meant to spend less than two hours on a cumputer a day when my job is straight computer work and that will leave me without any time for writing?
Does anyone have any suggestions of some amusements which will not exascerbate the problem? And is there anything else I can do short of quitting my job and.... (I'm not sure what to put in here as everything else I can do involves using my hands)
Cheers
B

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Sometimes a few days of rest is enough for my hands. Mine cramp up sometimes. I just hope that by the time they're really bad, medical science will have an easy cure and my insurance will cover it.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
In a former life, I was a qualified, practicing ergonomist, and had to deal with this issue among others, as well as contracting it myself - ironically, through intensive writing.

If it has become a severe problem, then medical treatment is strongly suggested.You can get advice from a someone like an occupational therapist or physiotherapist. You are wise to see a doctor who practices occupational medicine first.

If you have it at the early stages, then you will find some discussion on treatment in the Tech forum. I would also recommend that you undertake Internet research on this - RSI / OOS is well-recognised, and there are many, many references on treatment, and computer and other related equipment to help alleviate the symptoms.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I know I found it much easier to work with a split keyboard once I got used to it. I started my first novel on a regular keyboard and finished it on one of those humped MS split keyboards. Much easier on my wrists.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Split keyboards make my hands want to fall off. That may just be me.

When my wrists start hurting, I go from desktop to laptop. Or I go to hand writing. Or, get a voice recorder and dictate for awhile. Go for a walk while you're doing it, to get the blood flowing.

Beyondian

musker vyusher
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Upon further discussion and research, I believe that my hands are only showing signs of strain. I plan to consult a physiotherapist/gym-consultant for stretches and exercises to strengthen my wrists and lower arms, while also taking care with how much I use the computer without any breaks. :)
The last thing I want is to get RSI. That would be very bad.

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
Beyondian said:
Thanks everyone. Upon further discussion and research, I believe that my hands are only showing signs of strain. I plan to consult a physiotherapist/gym-consultant for stretches and exercises to strengthen my wrists and lower arms, while also taking care with how much I use the computer without any breaks. :)
The last thing I want is to get RSI. That would be very bad.

I'm sorry about your problem. It happened to me a while ago. My work is only through computer. I have to enter a lot of data, from morning till 5PM. And then, of course, I want to write once I'm at home, for 1-2 hours or even more. I slowed down and luckily, the pain went away. I developed though another problem: my ankles get swollen. I put a small shelf under the desk and my feet on it, but it didn't help. The doctor told me that the condition is not heart related. It's from sitting for so many hours. This is why I went back to hand writing, on my sofa, feet up, papers on a clipboard.

Feel well and good luck!

tenpenynail

Registered
Reaction score
**Sorry, what's RSI/OOS??**

Is it connected with Carpel Tunnel Syndrome? What's it feel like? Just wondering cause my thumbs hurt down at the fat part near the hand--and they can no longer hold any weight.

Ohmigosh, I might have initials!!! But which ones???

Really, any clarification would help...

Blessings

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because of my work (engineering) I use a large digitizer pad constantly. After a few years of this I started having numbness in my right hand, particularly along the bottom of my hand and little finger. I now use a wrist wrap whenever I'm at the office. It's helped.

I have no idea whether something like this would help you but it might be worth a try. A "medical type" wrist wrap is relatively inexpensive. I don't recommend the neoprene ones as they make your wrist hot and sweaty.

Good luck.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I too don't know what those initials stand for.

I too had carpal tunnel many years ago. It was very painful. I couldn't type more than 5 minutes before I had to stop from the burning in my wrists. I had to give up writing then. Glad the problem went away.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I suffered from some problems when I was working full-time, taking grad classes, and writing on the side. 15+ hours on computers of different cofigurations.

Reversed most of it by graduating, and changing the ergonomics of home and work stations. Still have a bit of Surfer's Shoulder from time to time, and my wrists can hurt if I lift weights too vigorously, or lean on my palms, or try to be too manly with heavy luggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.